Sharing the Disney Magic with Family & Friends-DL Diamond Anniversary-DCA F&W Fest Kiosks & The End!

OK, it's going to be quick, but here's my take on the Pedicure. It wasn't all that, it was OK, but I'm not sure how willing I would be to make it part of my routine. Perhaps it was the place that I did it, but I found parts of it to be uncomfortable and sometimes painful. Maybe I have neglected my toes for so long that they really needed some TLC, but the scraping, filing and other stuff was not at all relaxing. When she finally got to the massage part, I really couldn't relax much because I was kind of tense from all the callous removal and the like.

Anyways here I am in the salon while my toes were supposedly drying.

She gave me some fake flip flops to wear and sent me on my way. I really wish she would have just sat me down for an additional few minutes and made me wait until they fully dried because as soon as I got in the car, evidently I scuffed my left big toe on the car door and screwed up the polish. I didn't notice until I was all the way home.

I don't really think that I have time to go back and have her touch it up, so oh well. I may try and do it again at another salon and see if it's any more relaxing. The fact that they didn't really speak English well did throw me off a little. They were plenty nice, and really willing to please, but that whole lack of ability to communicate clearly really did put a damper on things. Plus the salon owner handed me all these magazines like People, and other Fan related stuff filled with celebrities who I've never heard of, or couldn't give a darn about what's going on in their live. And Bruce Jenner was on the cover of half of them. While I respect the individual and understand that it is a HUGE struggle. I watched the interview, and that's all I need to hear on the subject. I finally found a Cooking Light magazine and while there was nothing interesting recipe wise, at least it kept my mind occupied while I was wincing from the poking and prodding she was doing to my feet.

On other news, I finally submitted the Travel Insurance documents, so if they approve it we should get back $1500 from all three cruises. My parents should be leaving their house by noon today and arrive sometime just before 8PM. We'll be going out to dinner as I am DONE cooking until Friday night. Jenny arrives tomorrow as does Jill and if we get everything we want done today, perhaps we can have lunch out somewhere tomorrow before we make our big Costco run. The Tri Tips are thawing in the fridge. I am just about to get the Strawberries out of the freezer for the Strawberry soup. I'll be making that tomorrow! The plan is coming together! 54 hours until check in at the Grand Villa!

Wow, sorry your pedicure experience was not more what you were looking for. David and I really enjoy ours, but of course we can speak with ours and they do a great job. Everything is coming together nicely and your party is going to be great, I am so jealous.

I so want to be there and be a part of all the fun. I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!!

Sorry the pedi wasn't as relaxing as it could have been. I've found if there is a lot of exfoliation it is more uncomfortable and it does get better with regular "maintenance." Not all nail techs are created equal as well. When I find a good one, I stick with them. ;)

I've already checked into my flight...I am getting my hair cut/colored tonight and then need to finish packing.

Jill in CO

I didn't want to say it. But I probably should have. Some of the Chinese owned nail salons just aren't good. At all. I used to pay extra when I wanted to actually be comfortable and have a conversation with the nail tech, so i'd make an appointment with one of the ladies where I get my hair done and it's probably $35/40. But the experience is soooo much better, and I feel their equipment is cleaner. Next time, make an appointment at one of nicer hair/nail salons in Long Beach, there are some good ones there!

Pedicure deeeeets are needed! :hyper:

I am debating getting my nails done. I don't want a manicure but would like shellac.

OK you got it.....

Ah, sorry... :hug:

At least you will have plenty of friends around in person as of tomorrow, so you can enjoy their company without having to look at a screen. Fran should be pleased about that! ;)

Hopefully I have convinced her that lunch with Jenny and Jill is in order. Looking forward to going to Costco. I know I'm weird.

I am sorry that the pedicure did not really work out for you. I have a love hate relationship with them. My feet are very sensitive and they do hurt me, but I want pretty toes for the summer. Now manicures are a different matter. I love those. I love the colour, but what a shame that one toe got scuffed up. That is why Shellac/ Gellish, etc is so great. They are instantly dry.

Corinna

No Mickey Heads on the nails ? Shame on you !
Have a blast this weekend for your Birthday - you deserve it !
Looking forward to more .......

Actually Alison, this is a great idea! Put Mickey heads on your big toes to cover up the scuff! :thumbsup2

I really think if a pedicure was something you did regularly you may enjoy it. When you get them regularly the callouses are almost non existent for me anyway. I like the color even with the smudge and nobody but you will see the smudge especially with sandals on. And after the second glass of wine even you won't notice. ;)

Yay for tomorrow!!! I have almost finished packing and I think I will be able to squeeze it all in a carry on. I brought both wrap dresses depending on how bloated I feel after 2 days on vacation. :lmao:

ETA: hair products are over 3 oz. UGH!!!! :crazy2:

Pedi's are great with the right person doing it. I do enjoy them....but it isn't a regular part of my routine either.

Have a great weekend! Enjoy.

And Happy Birthday!

Because she has been bribed by Captain Oblivious and cj9200, plus PIO to post incriminating pictures of us once the alcohol starts! :rotfl2:

Ah hah! I missed that part

Hey, in my defense, PiO offered to cook me a meal when I visit her in Australia!

that's a very good bribe!

1 more sleep! I actually started packing my suitcase last night!

I am packed!

How was the pedicure Alison? I got mine last night and it was fabulous.

Yay!
She would cook you a meal regardless! :rotfl2: Didn't you see her TR when she visited me and cooked all the meals in and out of my house! :lmao:

Oh that food looked amazing!!!!!!! Quite the feast.

My parents arrive today and you and Jenny tomottow.

and me! me too! I arrive tomorrow :)

I'll try and get pics up today and an explanationwhen Fran isn't looking.

LOL, that was me on the DIS last night

Had to laugh about this one. So Fran would not approve of you posting pictures of your feet??? :goodvibes

I am pretty sure Michael would also think that I have totally lost it if I started posting pictures of my toe nails! :faint:

Jeff already thinks I've lost it when he sees me taking pictures of them in the lounger on vacation

I am debating getting my nails done. I don't want a manicure but would like shellac.

How can you get a shellac without getting a manicure?

Maybe I have neglected my toes for so long that they really needed some TLC, but the scraping, filing and other stuff was not at all relaxing. When she finally got to the massage part, I really couldn't relax much because I was kind of tense from all the callous removal and the like.

Sigh. It really can vary depending on where you go, the full spa route might have been better for a first outing. Parts can be painful for sure

I don't really think that I have time to go back and have her touch it up, so oh well. I may try and do it again at another salon and see if it's any more relaxing. The fact that they didn't really speak English well did throw me off a little

You could pop into a different one and just ask for a polish change. Bring your own flip flops and make them put them on your feet before they start painting, then you don't have to worry about trying to get them on while things are still smudgeable

I finally found a Cooking Light magazine and while there was nothing interesting recipe wise, at least it kept my mind occupied while I was wincing from the poking and prodding she was doing to my feet.

Ugh. First rule of mani/pedi's is bring a book or the smartphone to keep you entertained. I often forget that rule tough.
h
Jenny arrives tomorrow as does Jill

And me. LOL! I do get in later than they do though.

Some of the Chinese owned nail salons just aren't good.

No, they aren't. Up here they aren't chinese but a variety of different asian salons. It's hard. Some are fabulous and others, horrible. Unless you go on a regular basis and check it out, it's kind of luck of the draw. There is a reason that the nicer salons cost more...

Boo! This is why I check. Liquids!

I love the colour - sorry the pedi wasn't that relaxing. But I do think you should give it another try because it totally DOES depend on the salon and the tools they use etc. One place I've gone to that I really like has this thing...like a wand with a brush on the end that spins around? And they do that instead of a lot of the scraping and filing? I find it way more relaxing....maybe check out a few places until you find one you like. Because there is nothing like a good pedi in my books :)) But your trip is sooo close!!!

Wow, sorry your pedicure experience was not more what you were looking for. David and I really enjoy ours, but of course we can speak with ours and they do a great job. Everything is coming together nicely and your party is going to be great, I am so jealous.

I think it was also the fact that my feet have never been "nurtured". I have a feeling that there was a lot of stuff there that needed to be cleaned out and that was the painful part.

I so want to be there and be a part of all the fun. I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!!

I wish more of my DIS friends could have made it, but it's a long trip for a lot of people and then there are things like having your own life to deal with. :faint:

Sorry the pedi wasn't as relaxing as it could have been. I've found if there is a lot of exfoliation it is more uncomfortable and it does get better with regular "maintenance." Not all nail techs are created equal as well. When I find a good one, I stick with them. ;)

I've already checked into my flight...I am getting my hair cut/colored tonight and then need to finish packing.

Jill in CO

That's why I think it's worth trying again before I write it off. And maybe sooner rather than later so all the callouses and stuff don't build back up.

Yay for being checked in!

I didn't want to say it. But I probably should have. Some of the Chinese owned nail salons just aren't good. At all.

These people got fantastic reviews on Yelp. And everything was very clean, I just didn't realize it was going to be such a language barrier. Strange that these people live and work here and still have such a poor command of the English language!

I used to pay extra when I wanted to actually be comfortable and have a conversation with the nail tech, so i'd make an appointment with one of the ladies where I get my hair done and it's probably $35/40. But the experience is soooo much better, and I feel their equipment is cleaner. Next time, make an appointment at one of nicer hair/nail salons in Long Beach, there are some good ones there!

You'll have to clue me on where some of these are. I have a hairstylist, but I'm not sure if they do nails, and if they do I think it's up a flight of stairs. I don't want to deal with that!

I am sorry that the pedicure did not really work out for you. I have a love hate relationship with them. My feet are very sensitive and they do hurt me, but I want pretty toes for the summer. Now manicures are a different matter. I love those. I love the colour, but what a shame that one toe got scuffed up. That is why Shellac/ Gellish, etc is so great. They are instantly dry.

Corinna

I can also be very ticklish, especially when the person working on my feet has a light touch. I rarely see my toes so it has never mattered for me. I don't bother with manicures, I bite my nails, and I know if they had polish on them I wouldn't, but Fran does not seem to like the idea of me having manicured nails. :confused3

I never even thought of Mickey heads on the nails. I even saw people on my cruise (which I didn't go on) who posted Mickey manicures. It just never occurred to me!

Actually Alison, this is a great idea! Put Mickey heads on your big toes to cover up the scuff! :thumbsup2

Where the heck would I get them? :confused3

I really think if a pedicure was something you did regularly you may enjoy it. When you get them regularly the callouses are almost non existent for me anyway. I like the color even with the smudge and nobody but you will see the smudge especially with sandals on. And after the second glass of wine even you won't notice. ;)

I can understand that it would get better if they didn't have to dig through all that other foot stuff. I don't even notice now! :rotfl2:

Yay for tomorrow!!! I have almost finished packing and I think I will be able to squeeze it all in a carry on. I brought both wrap dresses depending on how bloated I feel after 2 days on vacation. :lmao:

I am done packing MY stuff. Fran has a T-shirt and socks packed. I have a feeling Friday morning while our friends are loading the food, Fran will be trying on pants and shirts for Steakhouse 55. :rolleyes1 I don't think she has been paying attention when I have been discussing the schedule RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER FACE!

I don't even know what hair products are! :faint: :scared: :sad2:

Pedi's are great with the right person doing it. I do enjoy them....but it isn't a regular part of my routine either.

Have a great weekend! Enjoy.

And Happy Birthday!

Thanks, maybe next time it will be better.

Ah hah! I missed that part

Yeah, we need to watch out for the double agents! :magnify:

that's a very good bribe!

But I think even without the bribe, it would have been on the table. :rolleyes1

I am packed!

Me too!

Oh that food looked amazing!!!!!!! Quite the feast.

I'd love for her to come back and make that one wide noodle dish. I have to get up the courage to try it.

and me! me too! I arrive tomorrow :)

I know, but you get in too late for me to see you before we crash after the Costco run!

Sigh. It really can vary depending on where you go, the full spa route might have been better for a first outing. Parts can be painful for sure

I need guidance!

You could pop into a different one and just ask for a polish change. Bring your own flip flops and make them put them on your feet before they start painting, then you don't have to worry about trying to get them on while things are still smudgeable

It wasn't putting on the flip flops, though I don't own any, it was actually getting in the car that did it.

Ugh. First rule of mani/pedi's is bring a book or the smartphone to keep you entertained. I often forget that rule tough.

I did have my smart phone, but I needed something with a wider spread. I didn't want to watch what she was doing to my feet it kind of really hurt. :sad2:

And me. LOL! I do get in later than they do though.

Yeah, I think you get in that night. We plan to be home eating delivered sushi and thai.

No, they aren't. Up here they aren't chinese but a variety of different asian salons. It's hard. Some are fabulous and others, horrible. Unless you go on a regular basis and check it out, it's kind of luck of the draw. There is a reason that the nicer salons cost more...

Yeah, they could have been Thai, I have no idea. we have the largest collection of Thai folks in the US so that makes more sense than Chinese, but I don't really know.

Boo! This is why I check. Liquids!

We can never travel light enough to only have a carry on so it's never a problem. Since we usually fly on miles our bags end up being free. Although on our Thanksgiving trip we did end up paying for bags.

I love the colour - sorry the pedi wasn't that relaxing. But I do think you should give it another try because it totally DOES depend on the salon and the tools they use etc. One place I've gone to that I really like has this thing...like a wand with a brush on the end that spins around? And they do that instead of a lot of the scraping and filing? I find it way more relaxing....maybe check out a few places until you find one you like. Because there is nothing like a good pedi in my books :)) But your trip is sooo close!!!

Well they definitely didn't have that wand. Maybe I will find a high end place and try it to see if I like it. We have Burke Williams Gift Certificates, and then I can decide. If I weren't so stressed about them and their pricing, I would do one there.

So here's my last pathetic update hopefully before I start to update with DISmeets and fun! We bought the strawberries to garnish the soup, but I think we're going to have to stop and get more. We have this chain that has stands that sell strawberries around town and they are by far the tastiest strawberries.

We bought what I thought was a flat, but we may need some more by Friday as we have been digging in a little more than we intended.

Tomorrow we see Jenny and Jill and start the experiences in the park! Cynthia arrives later

Those strawberries look wonderful!!! Reminds me of Berlin, there is a strawberry producer that has stands all over time in the strawberry season and those stands look like giant strawberries. They sell the best fruit, picked that morning and always sweet and delicious!

Sorry about your pedicure experience. Here in Germany I only ever experienced the "wand" method and I think it is far preferable. One lady in Germany once told me that it is kind of required here as it is much less likely to cause injury. For me the big bonus of the manicure is that I get rid of the excessive dry skin on my heels which tends to crack, however much lotion I use... I just have very dry skin and that helps producing callouses.

Have a fantastic Birthday Weekend!!

Those strawberries look delicious. I can't wait for the strawberry season to start here.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter