• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sharing meals

Summer-Caitlin

DIS Veteran
I am going to WDW for 16 nights in Nov 2014 but thought I would ask about sharing meals. There will be 2 adults and one child who will be 3 and a half. We have the DDP but I intended to book some breakfasts OOP. However as portions are so big(think Tonga Toast) would Disney frown upon sharing breakfast with my son? He isn't a big eater and it seems quite wasteful to order him a portion to himself when there is easily enough for 2!!!

I am going to WDW for 16 nights in Nov 2014 but thought I would ask about sharing meals. There will be 2 adults and one child who will be 3 and a half. We have the DDP but I intended to book some breakfasts OOP. However as portions are so big(think Tonga Toast) would Disney frown upon sharing breakfast with my son? He isn't a big eater and it seems quite wasteful to order him a portion to himself when there is easily enough for 2!!!

We do it all the time... We never do the dining plan but always pay out of pocket...

Wife and I share everything...even hamburger and fries we split...

Buffets no....

Sharing when paying OOP is fine. You'll be fine to share DDP meals also as long as you don't share with anyone who is not on the DDP (one visit my sister came along and was not on the DDP and we could not share with her). And obviously you'll have to pay OOP or use his credits at buffets and all you can eat restaurants. Our two kids shared a couple of meals and we used their extra credits for CS breakfasts that we all shared.

We never do the dining plan for that reason alone- because we share all our meals. Doing the DDP is just way too much food for us. DD10 and I usually share an entree while DH gets his own, then we all share 1 or two desserts. We grab a CS meal for breakfast and all share that and then have snacks for lunch-that we share. Of course we don't share at buffets, but that is the only exception.

On our last trip, we were 2 adults and 1 child on the DDP. The trip was July 1-6, only DH had to leave the afternoon of the 4th to go back to work, so we were creative with our credits.

July 1-dinner was CS credits
July 2-breakfast at CP (everyone use a credit), snacks, Ohana dinner (everyone used a credit)
July 3-breakfast in room, Sci Fi lunch (used 1 adult credit for 2 milkshakes and a burger, plus ordered onion rings and another burger for cash...son and I shared one milkshake and 1 burger), snacks, CS dinner
July 4-breakfast in room, Tusker House brunch (everyone use a credit)...Cape May dinner (only son and I, we both used credits)
July 5-Le Chefs (son and I shared 1 adult credit and I ordered him an orangina), CS dinner
July 6-1900 PF brunch (only son and I we both used credits)

I have to say that at Chefs and Sci Fi, each waitress was very nice about the splitting, and the Sci Fi waitress was great about letting us get both milkshakes at once (even though one counted as the drink and one counted as the dessert). Neither waitress split anything for us, but it was no problem.

DH and I always have DDP and we share most of our meals. I agree the portion size is large and we are always full with the shared meal. :cool1: There are a couple of TS restaurants that do not allow it , but , as a rule there absolutely no problem. We always agree that of either of us is still lacking , we will just use another credit to fill their belly :rotfl2:. sharing is definitely the way to go :thumbsup2 Enjoy !! pixiedust:

Yes, you can share at counter service meals and Table Service meals where you order from a menu whether you are on the dining plan or paying OOP.

You cannot share and everyone 3 years or older will be charged a credit or pay OOP at buffets, all you care to eat family style places, the 3 dinner shows (Hoop De Doo, Spirit of Aloha luau, Mickey's Backyard Barbecue), fixed price meals (CRT and Akershus), the family style platter at Whispering Canyon Cafe, the Fantasmic! Dining Package and the Candlelight Processional Dining Package.

On the dining plan the only TS restaurant that has strict rules is Via Napoli. They will not let you use 1 credit to feed 2 people. If you want pizza, you can only order the individual size with credits. You cannot combine credits for a larger size. If paying OOP, you can share whatever you wish.

Also, if one person only wants a small meal (e.g. just a starter) or doesn't want dessert, then you can pay OOP for that person, while the other person uses a credit.

Sharing is a good way to extend credits for additional meals or 2 credit experiences.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I hadn't considered sharing when using a DDP credit but I may do that at a TS restaurant if my son isn't too hungry. I found this a problem when we were in DLRP last month. I often bought him a full meal for dinner for him to turn it away in favour of something I was eating! We won't be paying OOP for much but when we do I think I will definitely be sharing.

We haven't done the DP in a while we had APs and TiW last year. It was DH, myself, and 2 year old DD. We would often (unless buffet or family style) order one adult meal and one child's meal and maybe and app. and have more than enough at most places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter