• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sharing Meals

NHKristy76

Senior Mousketeer
I've been hearing that Disney allows people to share meals at table service restaurants... I've never done this because I had assume it's not permitted but now I'm really very excited by the possibility! I'd love to hear about your experiences sharing meals especially if you ever got "evil eyes" from the server because of this.

Have you shared a TS credit meal on the DDP? Do you tip as though you had 2 meals?

What should we know about this if we decide to share?

We were on the Ddp and did share at 50's because my Mom and I just weren't hungry enough to eat that much. They didn't say anything at all to us, so I assume that it is okay. I know sharing is not allowed at any all-you-can-eat restaurants. Planet Hollywood, on the other hand, acted very ugly when there was 2 in our group of 14 that just wanted to sit at the table and not eat anything. We were told that they would charge us a TS meal because we were taking up a seat and they weren't making any money off of us. Needless to say, after conversation with management and our group of 14 saying we would just leave, they decided we could sit there without being charged. I do not plan on them "losing money" on me any more because I just won't go back.

I've been hearing that Disney allows people to share meals at table service restaurants... I've never done this because I had assume it's not permitted but now I'm really very excited by the possibility! I'd love to hear about your experiences sharing meals especially if you ever got "evil eyes" from the server because of this.

Have you shared a TS credit meal on the DDP? Do you tip as though you had 2 meals?

What should we know about this if we decide to share?

We don't use the DDP but often share table service meals. The servings are just so big and we wouldn't finish a full meal each. We have nebr had any trouble, we just tell our server that we are sharing when we order. You can't share at buffets obviously but the others should be fine.

If you're only ordering one meal, I don't see why they would charge two meals.

You can share at almost every TS restaurant where you order from a menu. You can't share at buffets, all you care to eat family style places or the skillet at Whispering Canyon. Also you'll be charged per person at the prepaid dinner shows, CRT, Fantasmic! Dining Package and Candlelight Processional Dining Package. The only restaurants that pretty consistently don't allow splitting a credit are Via Napoli and Beaches 'n' Cream. However, it's best to ask at any restaurant just in case.

Many people share because they want to save credits for CRT, dinner shows and sigs that require 2 credits per person. Also, you'll find that portions can be large enough to share in a number of restaurants.

We were on the Ddp and did share at 50's because my Mom and I just weren't hungry enough to eat that much. They didn't say anything at all to us, so I assume that it is okay. I know sharing is not allowed at any all-you-can-eat restaurants. Planet Hollywood, on the other hand, acted very ugly when there was 2 in our group of 14 that just wanted to sit at the table and not eat anything. We were told that they would charge us a TS meal because we were taking up a seat and they weren't making any money off of us. Needless to say, after conversation with management and our group of 14 saying we would just leave, they decided we could sit there without being charged. I do not plan on them "losing money" on me any more because I just won't go back.

WOW!!!!! That is really disturbing to me. I cannot believe they threatened to charge two guests who were NOT eating!!!

We have shared on the dining plan at 50's PT (among others) and there was no problem, we just paid OOP for an extra drink, they charged one meal credit off the dining plan for the meal.

At the character meals, they do charge if there is someone in your group who just wants to sit and not eat. It's been awhile since we had someone in our group do that but it was like $6. Some non-Disney restaurants do charge a plate fee for shared meals. If there's 2 of you and you share a meal, you should tip extra, the server does just as much work as if there were 2 meals ordered.

I am avoiding the restaurants that have problems with people sharing. I only eat three to four ounces at a time after stomach surgery, so my youngest DD and I will be sharing. I hate to get up and walk away with a plate fool of food left over. :sad2: I would love to do Via Napoli, but they are completely off of my ADR list indefinitely because of their policy.

We went in June and I either shared w/ DH or DD10 at every meal. We never had anyone say anything. We payed OOP. We ate at the Plaza, Sci-Fi, Chef de France, and Yak and Yetti. The only one we all payed for was Crystal Palace b/c it was a buffet. We really enjoyed splitting meals b/c it saves money and we can have more snacks later.:rotfl2:

Sharing when paying OOP is not usually an issue, but it can be a problem when using the DDP. Last year when I was researching for our Sept trip, everyone said sharing on the DDP was NOT allowed, that it was a strict policy. Now it seems like that has changed. Anyone know what happened?

Hmm... So some people are saying that it's okay to share on the DDDP and some say it is not!

Argh! I'm not sure what to do!:upsidedow

amym2 said:
Sharing when paying OOP is not usually an issue, but it can be a problem when using the DDP. Last year when I was researching for our Sept trip, everyone said sharing on the DDP was NOT allowed, that it was a strict policy. Now it seems like that has changed. Anyone know what happened?

Sharing with those not on the plan is not allowed and has never been allowed. Maybe that's what you are thinking of?

amym2 said:

You cannot share at buffets.
You cannot share with people who are not on the plan.

Other than that, it is okay to share.

Me and my father-in-law shared the Cowboy Ribeye at Yachsman...it's our favorite cut, but too large. I ordered my own side of their yummy Mac& cheese! Anyway, they happily provided an extra plate. We paid OOP.

I am avoiding the restaurants that have problems with people sharing. I only eat three to four ounces at a time after stomach surgery, so my youngest DD and I will be sharing. I hate to get up and walk away with a plate fool of food left over. :sad2: I would love to do Via Napoli, but they are completely off of my ADR list indefinitely because of their policy.

u can share at via napoili just not when nu are on the dining plan

Heres a question on a follow up topic. (not on DDP)

We're in a TS, there's 2 of us, but there's 3 things on the menu we like, is it possible to order 3 entrees and 2 empty plates so we can get bits of each entree as we want them?

Heres a question on a follow up topic. (not on DDP)

We're in a TS, there's 2 of us, but there's 3 things on the menu we like, is it possible to order 3 entrees and 2 empty plates so we can get bits of each entree as we want them?

Yes. We have done this before, the two of us ordered a few small things and we each ate some of all of them. We have shared main meals, desserts, everything. Only thing we don't share is drinks! :)

We've shared on the dining plan at Jiko before. I just wanted a side of mashed potatoes (paid for OOP) and some of DH's food. We had no problems.

WOW!!!!! That is really disturbing to me. I cannot believe they threatened to charge two guests who were NOT eating!!!

You know if it was just 2 out of the 14 I dont see a big deal..but we get big partys all the time at my place of employment and only a few people eat and the rest drink water..yes you are taking up space that could be used for paying patrons and the server is missing out of paying patrons who are going to tip per the amount of food and service..so I can see there point, but if it was just a couple I think maybe that was a bit overboard..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter