Sharing Credits: Disney says NO

I had a similar email before our trip in October. The CM confirmed that I would be allowed to use my credits to cover the meal for those not on the dining plan.

Yes but as mustsharecats screen shot show you can share credits.
I don't think using a credit to buy someone a meal falls under the definition of "sharing credits." It's all in the interpretation and that's why we get so many different answers. That, and the fact that Disney hasn't made any sort of public policy announcement.

I don't think using a credit to buy someone a meal falls under the definition of "sharing credits." It's all in the interpretation and that's why we get so many different answers. That, and the fact that Disney hasn't made any sort of public policy announcement.
I will agree with you on that for sure. My definition is if I am using one of my credits for someone who doesn't have any, that is sharing.

Sounds like WDW doesn't care if you share. Makes sense to me. They still gets tips, alcohol, and any add-ons.

Some restaurants let our child order from the adult menu (one CM even encouraged it), but many did not. I spoke to Guest Relations after our trip about the confusion, and was told that the "official" policy is a child has to order from the child's menu, but that they really leave it up to the discretion of each restaurant.

We discussed this very issue with a manager at T-Rex a few months ago after being told it wasn't possible by the server and a more experienced server. I knew it had been reported that the rules had changed in ?May, 2015. T-Rex has traditionally been very hard line on the rules and have refused numerous people historically who asked about paying for more meals than listed on the card. The Manager said they had the word direct from Disney that paying for others meal was OK.

I don't believe that it is true that they don't know how many are on the plan. We had a friend join us for a meal at Crystal Palace, and the server said, "I see you have 1 more adult than you have on the plan, what would you like us to do?" I said we would use a credit if we could, or use my TIW, and they let us use a credit. So, we were able to use more credits than people on the plan, but they certainly knew how many we had on the plan.

Did it sound like they were doing you a favor? Or was it more that they were checking and sent through without any issue? Was this in 2016, or last year? Thanks. We looking to pay for some of the meals of our guests when we go in the Fall on our Table Service, but had never been able to do this in the past. My chat with a CM today stated that he thought this was NOT something that could be done.

They sounded like they were doing us a favor, but that doesn't mean that they were :) It was Nov 21, 2015. If you were chatting online with a CM, I would not place much on that. If you have a friend who is a server, and you were talking with them, I would be more concerned :)

Well let me be the first to apologize if I have steered people wrong. I could have sworn I read it just before Christmas that they have officially changed their policy about the QS meals and keeping tract. And in that same communication was where I saw the statement about paying for all at the table if you wish. Regardless if they are on the meal plan or not.
I want the boards to be accurate info for all, and if I have mislead. I am sorry.
I do know that in practice this can be done.

No, you didn't steer in the wrong. The updates about sharing the credits and changes to the dining plan were all over the place a few months ago.

They sounded like they were doing us a favor, but that doesn't mean that they were :) It was Nov 21, 2015. If you were chatting online with a CM, I would not place much on that. If you have a friend who is a server, and you were talking with them, I would be more concerned :)
No, it was a Disney CHAT CM, but in all honesty, I don't think that they really knew. They suggested that we call the dining folks.

Some restaurants let our child order from the adult menu (one CM even encouraged it), but many did not. I spoke to Guest Relations after our trip about the confusion, and was told that the "official" policy is a child has to order from the child's menu, but that they really leave it up to the discretion of each restaurant.

I do believe that is the case, each estaurant can decide how to handle it. We had the DxDDP on one room and My girls were allowed to order off of the adult menu several times when they wanted an entree listed there. At CRT the server brought them a larger serving of cheese and grapes because the appetizers on that menu did notappeal to them. Several times we used the credits on one room to cover the meals of all of us, even though one room was only DDP. Honestly, I think Disney needed to relax their stand if they wanted to continue to sell an expensive plan that seldom paid off for a majority of guests.

My opinion is that as Disney continues to "tweak" their overall pricing from tickets to resorts and dining, they want to bury the costs in packages. No way can they do this if one major componant of a package does not make financial sense to a significant number of folks. So now they start relaxing their hard line on that after dinner cupcake, and give you soup, allow guests to share credits that might be wasted, and let the kids order an adult meal if they want one. It makes it easier to decide to buy the DDP if you know that you have more flexibility than before.

We will be testing out the shared DlxDP credits in 12 days. Our very first meal is the Luau, and Mom & Dad's DlxDP is hopefully going to cover the other 5 adults (who are on the DDP). I have a spreadsheet figured out as to whose credits are paying for each meal, and a back up plan if it doesn't work at the Luau. Fingers crossed!

We will be testing out the shared DlxDP credits in 12 days. Our very first meal is the Luau, and Mom & Dad's DlxDP is hopefully going to cover the other 5 adults (who are on the DDP). I have a spreadsheet figured out as to whose credits are paying for each meal, and a back up plan if it doesn't work at the Luau. Fingers crossed!

Good luck. I am very interested to hear about your experience. Thanks.

Good luck. I am very interested to hear about your experience. Thanks.
Ours in Sept was that it was absolutely allowed. The only place is was questioned was T Rex, a restaurant that's traditionally VERY hard line on the rules. Since we had various family in the area, we had a larger group at times, using as many as triple the credits compared to the number of people on the plan.

Ours in Sept was that it was absolutely allowed. The only place is was questioned was T Rex, a restaurant that's traditionally VERY hard line on the rules. Since we had various family in the area, we had a larger group at times, using as many as triple the credits compared to the number of people on the plan.
Did trex let us use your credits to pay for the people in your group that weren't on the ddp?

Did trex let us use your credits to pay for the people in your group that weren't on the ddp?
Yes as did Artist Pointe and Narcoossee's. This change is very beneficial where multiple villas are concerned. The reality is that we've been able to do this for years. The only places that have ever questioned were T Rex, Narcoossees on 1 of 3 times and Yachtsman Steakhouse mentioned it and then said they'd take care of it. I've always simply asked and left it up to them. I never would have pressured them or complained if they said no and didn't on the times I mentioned above. Over the years we've done so at Liberty tree, Crystal Palace, Artist Pointe, Ohana, Narcoossee's, Cali Grill, Yachtsman, Tusker House, Le Cellier, San Angel, Chef Mickey's, Rose and Crown, Olivia's and Turf Club that come to mind. Several multiple times. I know there's one member on this board that feels this was unethical but I figure it's their rule and up to them how to deal with it much like the Walking reservations.

Last edited:

Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but if you have 5 adults on the regular DDP, you would be better off using those credits for the Luau, which is a fixed price. You could use the Deluxe credits at other TS places where an appetizer is only included on the deluxe plan and get a better value. Deluxe plan credits cost you more than regular TS credits.

Yes as did Artist Pointe and Narcoossee's. This change is very beneficial where multiple villas are concerned. The reality is that we've been able to do this for years. The only places that have ever questioned were T Rex, Narcoossees on 1 of 3 times and Yachtsman Steakhouse mentioned it and then said they'd take care of it. I've always simply asked and left it up to them. I never would have pressured them or complained if they said no and didn't on the times I mentioned above. Over the years we've done so at Liberty tree, Crystal Palace, Artist Pointe, Ohana, Narcoossee's, Cali Grill, Yachtsman, Tusker House, Le Cellier, San Angel, Chef Mickey's, Rose and Crown, Olivia's and Turf Club that come to mind. Several multiple times. I know there's one member on this board that feels this was unethical but I figure it's their rule and up to them how to deal with it much like the Walking reservations.
I can't imagine why it would be unethical. The credits will be used regardless. Should matter who uses them.

I appreciate the info. Hoping our experience is similar!!

Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but if you have 5 adults on the regular DDP, you would be better off using those credits for the Luau, which is a fixed price. You could use the Deluxe credits at other TS places where an appetizer is only included on the deluxe plan and get a better value. Deluxe plan credits cost you more than regular TS credits.
Thank you! I just reworked our spreadsheet.

I can't imagine why it would be unethical. The credits will be used regardless. Should matter who uses them.

I appreciate the info. Hoping our experience is similar!!
It was THEIR rule and before last May they could have said no legitimately and a few did as I mentioned. It would have been inappropriate to argue with them or create an issue had they said no at that time before they changed their position. It's really no different than asking the bank or CC to waive a fee. To take the position that it was unethical to ask or accept an affirmative answer would mean that one could never accept any benefit from a company outside the stated rules including DVC. I'm a rule follower and pretty strict on the rules but this was way beyond anything I could see as a reasonable position.

One thing on the old system was it was set up to lose credits or at least use them for less than the highest value so the idea that one needed to use the credits no matter what was not necessarily the way Disney planned it. I'm guessing the reason they made the change was so that the regulars would be more likely to get a DP option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter