Sharing Comments and Criticism..

Here's my contribution. The original had my daughter's head poking in over the pond from the left side, but the wide angle distorted more than I could fix in post. It was a really beautiful scene with a great sky and awesome reflections, but how could I have captured this better?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Ef3xqd]Mercer - Koi Pond on Flickr[/URL]

I like this shot. It may have been asked, but what's with the blue sky around the bell? Was something chopped out?

It is just the angle of the shot. I am not skilled enough in 'post' to chop anything out of a picture. Basically, what you see is what was there.

Here's my contribution. The original had my daughter's head poking in over the pond from the left side, but the wide angle distorted more than I could fix in post. It was a really beautiful scene with a great sky and awesome reflections, but how could I have captured this better?

Mercer - Koi Pond on Flickr

First I like the color treatment you did in PP. I really like how the blue of the "bamboo" pops out at you. I like the color as well.

Compositionally it is very busy to me, but I think that is OK in this case. I see the rock in the foreground and really wonder what that offers the image. Use WA really requires a Foreground object, but here it does not work for me.

While I suspect very difficult I would almost like to the view from the Pond at camera Level. This would require a bit of gymnastics to get over the edge and take the photo hanging over the water. This to me would grab a bit more of the big tree in the middle that is cut off at the top. Or taking a step back and catching more of the rock wall in foreground.

Just some thoughts, still overall a very nice capture.

First I like the color treatment you did in PP. I really like how the blue of the "bamboo" pops out at you. I like the color as well.

Compositionally it is very busy to me, but I think that is OK in this case. I see the rock in the foreground and really wonder what that offers the image. Use WA really requires a Foreground object, but here it does not work for me.

While I suspect very difficult I would almost like to the view from the Pond at camera Level. This would require a bit of gymnastics to get over the edge and take the photo hanging over the water. This to me would grab a bit more of the big tree in the middle that is cut off at the top. Or taking a step back and catching more of the rock wall in foreground.

Just some thoughts, still overall a very nice capture.

I had the same thoughts. I also would have liked to see ultrawide here, to capture the full tree in the center, without cutting off half of it. As it stands, it's a busy undefined scene. It's a busy piece of the landscape, but it's not the whole landscape, and it's not an interesting detail within the landscape. To me, you need to pick 1 or the other -- Either the whole landscape, which needs to include more of that center tree. Or you pick a particular detail and make the photograph about that. For example, maybe just focusing on the lillypads and reflections.

I had the same thoughts. I also would have liked to see ultrawide here, to capture the full tree in the center, without cutting off half of it. As it stands, it's a busy undefined scene. It's a busy piece of the landscape, but it's not the whole landscape, and it's not an interesting detail within the landscape. To me, you need to pick 1 or the other -- Either the whole landscape, which needs to include more of that center tree. Or you pick a particular detail and make the photograph about that. For example, maybe just focusing on the lillypads and reflections.

It was one of those shots that I couldn't figure out. The pond was raised about 3' off the ground and going wide ended up getting a bunch of stuff in the shot I didn't want. So yes, I ended up walking away with a lot of detail shots like the one below.

25362134735_3f180a5cb6_o.jpg

It was one of those shots that I couldn't figure out. The pond was raised about 3' off the ground and going wide ended up getting a bunch of stuff in the shot I didn't want. So yes, I ended up walking away with a lot of detail shots like the one below.

25362134735_3f180a5cb6_o.jpg

I like this a lot.

Mercer - Koi Pond on Flickr

It's a pretty scene but yes, as a whole it's too busy. I would love to see a shot focused just on the tall plants at left and their reflections by zooming in just a bit and moving right and eliminating that building - unfortunately lots of bystanders over there cluttering up the background. Did you consider one just of the reflections without the wall or the big tree?

It's a pretty scene but yes, as a whole it's too busy. I would love to see a shot focused just on the tall plants at left and their reflections by zooming in just a bit and moving right and eliminating that building - unfortunately lots of bystanders over there cluttering up the background. Did you consider one just of the reflections without the wall or the big tree?

Yep, I knew after I shot it that it wasn't going to work. As mentioned, I then moved on to more detailed shots. For wide, I'm thinking maybe a closer shot of the tall grasses at water level might have worked. That way the background would have become a little less busy. This place is a short drive away so I'll give it another shot.

Well I need to throw one out - here is one from the past weekend. Sommertagzug - basically where the Germans say goodbye to winter and welcome spring....this celebration culminates with the burning of a snowman in town center. Thoughts of the good, bad or indifferent.

i-xhtvhM7-L.jpg

Personally, I would crop it tighter to focus on the children. I think the fireman on the right [in the yellow] distracts from the kids on the left. Here's a simple crop. Others may have different ideas.

dwvrxi.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter