Sharing a TS meal on the DDP

diskids2

<font color=CC66CC>Not above grovelling for a tag
I just want to clarify something. I had always thought you could not share a TS meal on the DDP. On another thread, a poster had indicated that they have shared TS meals on the dining plan using one credit.

This would work for my family....but I wanted to get some clarification on this point.

You may be able to do this - it depends on whether the restaurant itself will allow it. There is no hard and fast sharing rule that covers all WDW restaurants. Through posts on the board, it appears the only restaurant that currently specifically prohibits sharing entrees on the dining plan is Beaches & Cream. There are even reports that sharing is permitted at signature restaurants. You may want to throw in an appetizer (yes and pay for it if you are on basic dining) if you are planning on sharing the entree and dessert.

The one thing you will absolutely not be able to do is share one credit at any buffet or all you can eat family style or fixed menu restaurant.

Sharing at CS is not a problem - once you buy the meal and carry it out they won't have any idea how many people actually eat the meal.

In September of 07 we did this quite frequently.

At al a carte restaurants, I ordered an appetizer and drink out of pocket and did not use my dining credit. The other four folks in our group did use their dining credits, and I had a bit of food from each of their plates.

This enabled us to go to the Luau which is two credits per person.

I can't understand why any restaurant would give a guest flack over doing this. Once someone orders their food, it is their choice what they do with it.

My twins shared a lobster dinner at Narcoossees last Nov. The waitress even had the lobster split down the center and plated individually for them. We paid for the extra drink and dessert.

We got 3 meals for the four of us at 50's prime time. We wanted to do that at Beaches and cream, they would not let us. I hate to waste food and 4 huge sundaes would be a huge waste after a full meal.

We shared at Rose & Crown and Captains Galley so that we could accumulate enough credits to eat at California Grill a 2 TS restaurant.. We had no problems sharing on the dining plan.

We had no problem sharing at the three non-buffet dinners we went to in May. At the Wave and Kona, my mom and I shared an entree and dessert (my mom just got water to drink as she always does) and then my dad and DH got their own entrees and desserts. At the Brown Derby we actually only ordered 2 entrees for the four of us, but also ordered appetizers OOP.

We are not huge eaters and always had plenty of food. The servers did not bat an eye at it and we just requested an extra plate.

According to my travel agent, you can share anywhere but buffets and the skillet at WCC (with the exception of those under age 3)

See the current posts in this thread about Beaches & Cream - we have several reports that they won't let dining plan guests share, but apparently you can share if you are not on the dining plan. Your travel agent may not have known about that one.

Beaches & Cream is the only non-buffet or all you can eat that we have any consistent reporting that sharing isn't permitted.

If disney is so worried about healthier choices they should allow sharing at all non-buffet or family style restaurants. My dd is 11 and the adult portions are very large for someone her age.

If disney is so worried about healthier choices they should allow sharing at all non-buffet or family style restaurants. My dd is 11 and the adult portions are very large for someone her age.

Well, getting the DDP isn't required. Since it doesn't fit they way your family would prefer to eat, you might want to consider going without it. We did and saved over $200.

Reports currently appear to be that they allow sharing on the DDP at all non-buffet restaurants except one (Beaches & Cream, which coincidentally is probably the TS restaurant with the smallest capacity on all of WDW property) - I could get behind that statement if it applied to more restaurants.

We have used DDP 5 times now and have split many a TS meal. Inc. at Narcoossee's (4 adults ordering 3 meals). Never had an issue with it, in fact the wait staff seemed to understand it without explanation. We have never eaten at Beaches and Cream so I can't comment on that one. Sometimes It will be my DM and I sharing and DD9 getting her own kid's meal, or other times DD and I would share. This allowed us to go to a few more restaurants (and some 2 TS) that we wouldn't have otherwise. I have also paid OOP for DD9 at CG where she only wanted the pizza and didn't want appetizer (when it was inc.) or dessert-I think she's the only kid who doesn't like the Sushi Rice Krispies. Most of the time she's happiest with a bowl of vanilla ice cream. :cloud9:That trip though our great waiter gave her a free birthday dessert anyway.:cloud9:

The only time we had an issue with sharing was the first time, Jan. 05 (paid for it) when it had just started. We shared a meal at Spoodles but were still charged for 2 A and 1K. Turns out that at the beginning (of DDP) the credits you were charged was based on how many non-alcoholic bevereages you ordered. After we figured that out if we shared a meal (I remember we did this on same trip at 50's PTC) we would only order 1 beverage for the adults and the other would get a water.;) Of course, if my DM had a glass of wine, it was OOP anyway and then we would be charged the right amount of credits.

Apparently they don't do this anymore since we haven't had to worry about how many non-alcoholic beverages we order. Disney has worked out a better way. :)

This year my DD will be turning 10 during our trip so she will be an adult. I can foresee that we will undoubtably be sharing again (2 adult meals for the 3 of us) as well as there will be times when she'll want to order the kid's meal and I will pay OOP to save that adult credit for a better use. :banana:

Just like at home when we share a meal, we do adjust our tip accordingly. :goodvibes

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Like I said, we've used DDP 5 times now, with this Sept. being our 6th.

Happy eating all! :goodvibes

Thank you so much for posting this. I thought no sharing was allowed, it's nice to know we can if we want. Of course, i realize this does not pertain to buffet restaurants.

Well, getting the DDP isn't required. Since it doesn't fit they way your family would prefer to eat, you might want to consider going without it. We did and saved over $200.
I honestly don't think we would save with free dining. Honestly I just think there should be a junior meal or allow sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter