Sharing a 2 queen room with another couple

Princess Jes

DIS Veteran
In an effort to be thrifty but also wanting to stay deluxe, friends of ours and my husband and I are considering just getting a regular resort room to share.

We are close enough to ask for privacy when needed (toilet time is private time!) and also close enough that we are happy to spend time apart without getting offended.

We won't have any children with us and plan on doing adult type things (late nights in the parks, drinking and eating) so I think there would be minimal time in the actual room.

Can you share your experiences if you have travelled this way with close friends?

I've shared a hotel room with my parents. It worked fine up until the last 2 years when mom had trouble sleeping and kept getting up all night.

I also spent a week in an interior state room on a cruise ship with 3 other adults (not DCL). Instead of trying to be quiet all night we agreed noise and light was up to each person. If I wanted quiet I wore ear plugs or dark an eye mask. This plan worked well.

I suggest you spend a weekend with the other couple before you commit. you'll quickly learn if there are any sleep or privacy issues.

Last edited:
Personally no but I have a friend that has. Sometimes she's regretted it and others it was ok. The ok times did tend to be with family member and SO. If you do and you go deluxe check into staying at Contemporary. The toilet area has a door. Not so with Poly just a half wall.

Personally no but I have a friend that has. Sometimes she's regretted it and others it was ok. The ok times did tend to be with family member and SO. If you do and you go deluxe check into staying at Contemporary. The toilet area has a door. Not so with Poly just a half wall.
The YC has the toilet in the shower/bath area with a door, and the basins outside that, worked fine for hubby and I (like I said, hisband or not, toilet time is private time! Lol)

I think I would consider separate rooms too. I think I saw earlier that you were posting in the US threads? if your plan is to do disney then a couple days at universal (I'm assuming partly because it's what I prefer to do, and partly because it's a fairly common trend on the boards :laughing:), I would really suggest separate rooms for at least one leg of the trip. because the perk of universal deluxes is the express pass for everyone in the room, I think I would say it'll work out best budget-wise to share a room there.

I think the important thing to remember is that a disney/universal trip can be incredibly over-stimulating. I usually only travel/share a room with DGF, and there are even times when I get back to the room and don't want to talk to her! you're social for so much of the day, surrounded by tons of people and maxed out sensorially. after all that, I sometimes just need some peace and quiet, and that's exponentially harder to deal with the more people you add to one space.

When we travel with my DD and her DH, we share a room. It works for us. I would not be able to share with friends if it was DH and me.

This August we have two rooms at the GF because we are traveling with my neighbor and her girls. My DH is not coming on this one, but I am already a little anxious, and I regard my neighbr as my almost DD!

In the end, you are the only one who can decide if your comfort level inclused a couple sharing space with you

Personally, I could NEVER do that. I wouldn't be able to sleep, and I need my privacy. I wouldn't even share one hotel room with my kids anymore.

I'd opt for value or moderate, and get your own rooms. I'd value that over staying at a deluxe.

In an effort to be thrifty but also wanting to stay deluxe, friends of ours and my husband and I are considering just getting a regular resort room to share.

We are close enough to ask for privacy when needed (toilet time is private time!) and also close enough that we are happy to spend time apart without getting offended.

We won't have any children with us and plan on doing adult type things (late nights in the parks, drinking and eating) so I think there would be minimal time in the actual room.

Can you share your experiences if you have travelled this way with close friends?

FYI: You will have to pay a $25 per person charge for the additional adults in the room.

I have stayed in one room with adult DS and his SO. We are very close and it was OK, but I wouldn't do it again. I would get separate rooms or a 2 bedroom suite with DVC points. Everyone is ultimately more comfortable with their own space to go to when too much togetherness overwhelms.

If the cost of most luxury resorts is a bit much for 2 rooms, consider standard rooms at the WL and AKL (which are significantly less expensive) than other luxury resorts. Other options include the Swan/Dolphin which often offers great discounts for a true luxury experience (sometimes less than $200 per night for a standard room)., or a moderate such as CSR which is very adult oriented and luxurious for a mod. We have the Dolphin over Thanksgiving week with a nurse discount for only $215 per night! Even factoring in the $23 resort fee, that is only $238 per night. A great deal on an Epcot area resort!

Well, if you have a meeting ahead of time and share expectations, set boundaries and the like.....it should be fine. Beware, things like this can ruin a beautiful friendship. Good luck and have a great trip!

We have done this twice at WDW and 4 times at other vacation spots with 3 different couples and never had any issues. As long as expectations are set and agreed upon prior to arriving, it should be fine.

We have done this for several trips, one year we even added an 18 year old niece. It worked out fine for us, but we were up front about certain thing. You need a plan for showers. Luckily I'm an early riser, another person preferred to shower then night before, so it worked out well. O also prefer to read while others watch tv, so I let them know upfront that if I head off to a quiet spot, not to think I was offended. We have enjoyed each of those trips just fine.

(and since we have a couple of people who snore we "equipped" each bed with some plushies to throw if they got loud. Make it funny instead of annoying and it works out fine)

We have done this for several trips, one year we even added an 18 year old niece. It worked out fine for us, but we were up front about certain thing. You need a plan for showers. Luckily I'm an early riser, another person preferred to shower then night before, so it worked out well. O also prefer to read while others watch tv, so I let them know upfront that if I head off to a quiet spot, not to think I was offended. We have enjoyed each of those trips just fine.

(and since we have a couple of people who snore we "equipped" each bed with some plushies to throw if they got loud. Make it funny instead of annoying and it works out fine)

I am an early riser as well, so I prepare my clothes to toss on and leave them where I can reach them in the dark, get dressed and slip out for coffee. My family tracks me down if I am not back when they are ready for noise. We also know the shower arrangements so that is not an issue. I have never gone with a couple outside of my family, so I am not sure how I would be under those circumstances.

We have a lot of good friends but i'd never consider doing this. we have a deluxe room booked at BWI for my husband, myself, five year old and my mother. I'm wondering if we will be comfortable. Personally I don't think any of the disney resort std rooms are big enough to comfortably fit 4 adults. just our perspective. :)

I couldn't do it, because of all the noises that people make in their sleep. The Disney diet makes for some digestive issues for many folks and I wouldn't want to deal with others or worry about me. And snoring, talking or moaning in sleep. What if the covers fall off, will you sleep in full coverage clothes, what about a bra? Or will you see something that you prefer not to see? Where will you change, in the bathroom? When you stay with strangers, you are "in public" all the time lol.

Depending on the time of year that you go, you could get a good discount. Or maybe look at the Swan or Dolphin. But I think two rooms helps with relaxation, sanity, and friendships.

We used to travel with another couple on a yearly basis (every September, for about 10 years now).
We've shared a 2 bedroom cabin. We've gone on cruises (next door cabins) and to hotels (2 rooms with a connected door). I LOVE to keep that door open during non-sleeping, non-dressing times. But it's nice to have that time to close the door.
Would we share a room? If we NEEDED to for a night...maybe/probably. But I still like the 2 rooms with a connecting door. (Or in the case of a cabin - 2 bedrooms with a common living area).

That said... on a "girls" trip, I HAVE shared 1 room with a few friends. I didn't mind it when it was only ladies (and not couples).

I vote for two rooms. I would sacrifice a deluxe room for privacy. I also agree with the PP who added that you would be paying $50 a night in extra adult fees. Imagine if it didn't work out, it could make for a less than great vacation.

I've done it for ONE night when we've gone to NYC or Atlantic City to a concert and we are literally just crashing in the room after our night out. This has never been an issue and a great way to save money. We usually get in the room by 4-6 am, pass out, get up by 10 am, use the potty and check out just in time.

I've done it for a few days for girls trip. That I didn't mind and we had tons of fun. We are planning one now and it'll be 4 girls to a room and we will share Queen beds. We plan to party a lot and just crash.

I wouldn't do it for a whole vacation if I'm with my DH or with another couple. I need my private time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter