Shareable or inexpensive meals?

tinkamom

<font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co
DD13 and I are looking for inexpensive dining options for our low budget 9 day WDW trip in a couple of weeks. We are not the biggest eaters so I'm thinking we could share a few meals. We havent been to WDW in a few years so I'm not even sure if this is possible anymore!

Did you have any meals that you felt were shareable? Or did you find a meal that was an unexpected value?

Thank you :)

Beach Club Marketplace (and some other resorts have it too) had a kids Mickey Waffle breakfast, 2 small waffles, bacon or sausage, plus a drink. $4.99.

Adult meal, one large waffle with bacon, no drink, $6.79.

Maybe not good for sharing but at the counter services especially, look at the kids menus! Kids meals generally include a drink and a side.

Just about every restaurant on property allows sharing. I'm not a big eater so I tend to eat the kids meals for breakfast and sometimes lunch as well. If I'm eating at a TS restaurant, I tend to get a salad and an appetizer. I don't do this to save money, I'm just not a big eater so that might not be the best budget option. I know the portions at Tangerine Cafe at Morocco in Epcot are huge and can be shared. The Mac and Cheese at Chefs de France is huge. The fried rice at Yak and Yeti QS at AK is large and you could combine that with an order of egg rolls and get by pretty cheap. I find most of the adult sandwiches at most of the QS locations are pretty big so half a sandwich and half the fries would probably work. You can get free ice water at every QS location.

Beach Club Marketplace (and some other resorts have it too) had a kids Mickey Waffle breakfast, 2 small waffles, bacon or sausage, plus a drink. $4.99.

Adult meal, one large waffle with bacon, no drink, $6.79.

Maybe not good for sharing but at the counter services especially, look at the kids menus! Kids meals generally include a drink and a side.

Perfect! Five dollars for breakfast and it sounds plenty filling!

Just about every restaurant on property allows sharing. I'm not a big eater so I tend to eat the kids meals for breakfast and sometimes lunch as well. If I'm eating at a TS restaurant, I tend to get a salad and an appetizer. I don't do this to save money, I'm just not a big eater so that might not be the best budget option. I know the portions at Tangerine Cafe at Morocco in Epcot are huge and can be shared. The Mac and Cheese at Chefs de France is huge. The fried rice at Yak and Yeti QS at AK is large and you could combine that with an order of egg rolls and get by pretty cheap. I find most of the adult sandwiches at most of the QS locations are pretty big so half a sandwich and half the fries would probably work. You can get free ice water at every QS location.

Im so glad to hear the portions are still large at Tangerine cafe. Its one of our favorites.

I too eat the kids meal at breakfast. Its a good portion of 2 mickey waffles with sausage or bacon and a drink. I think once or twice instead of bacon/sausage i've asked for a bag of grapes. I saved it for snacking later. Mind you this was last year...not sure if they would still allow you to have grapes instead of sausage/bacon but its worth asking anyway?

50's Prime at HS has massive portions. Particularly the fried chicken meal. You get 4 HUGE pieces of chicken, with potatoes/fries and a veg. Massive!

At via napoli you can easily share an individual portion, and maybe supplement it with a salad-for-two?? Without the salad it wouldnt be filling enough.

WGPE entree's are big too, perfect meal for sharing. Particularly the meatloaf, pizza, 1/2 roast chicken, and mac n' cheese. I agree about sharing a sandwich. Most are big enough to share.

I think pretty much everything at Cosmic Ray's is big enough to be shared. A couple of things could practically feed 3.

The nachos or the burrito at Pecos Bills are huge, plus you get the toppings bar. DH and I split one of those and we both leave stuffed (and we're pretty big eaters normally). The shawarma platters at Tangeriene are enormous as well. In all honesty, we find that most dishes are easily sharable between at least 2 people.

flame tree bbq. it's not the cheapest but definitely shareable and cheaper than 2 whole smaller meals elsewhere.

Cosmic Ray's: ½ rotisserie chicken with sides. It is a huge portion!

Flame Tree: Chicken and Ribs combo, comes with beans, cornbread, and coleslaw. I see on the Disney site that there is now a chicken/ribs/pulled pork combo. Wow, that must be a lot of food.

Yak & Yeti Counter Service: a side of Chicken Fried Rice and and 2 egg rolls. Less than $7.

Via Napoli: Pizza

POP Century (and probably many other CS locations): The breakfast Bounty Platter...eggs, potatoes, biscuit, sausage, bacon.

Tangierine Cafe (Epcot's Morocco): The Shawarma Platter...lamb, chicken, hummus, tabouleh, couscous salad, Moroccan bread. My DS16 and I share this, and we are both big eaters!

WPE at DS: The pizzas are enormous. Definitely sharable.

Columbia Harbour House - adult chicken and fish entree and add kids chicken salad (bonus, kids meal comes with extras for snacking on later)

Pinocchio Village Haus - pizza and side of breadsticks

Restaurantosaurus - split the double bacon cheeseburger and modify to your liking at toppings bar

Sunshine Seasons - chicken with black beans and rice

Flame Tree BBQ: Huge portions chicken and rib combo is amazing

Via Napoli: Pizza

50's Prime Time: fried chicken meal or moms sampler both have tons of food

for breakfast you can easily share the bounty platter that is available at quick service locations

There are tons of options.

DD13 and I are looking for inexpensive dining options for our low budget 9 day WDW trip in a couple of weeks. We are not the biggest eaters so I'm thinking we could share a few meals. We havent been to WDW in a few years so I'm not even sure if this is possible anymore!

Did you have any meals that you felt were shareable? Or did you find a meal that was an unexpected value?

Thank you :)
Another way to keep your budget low is to head to the grocery store (if you will have a car) - or bring some stuff from home. On a budget trip with no car - I can still manage to make a fair number of great meals in my room - especially breakfast. I might bring cereal - and just buy milk at the resort. I also tend to bring along some snacks.

But in general - there are LOTS of shareable meals around Disney. Unless headed to a buffet or a special dinner - we frequently share as a couple. Sometimes we might add a salad/appetizer or plan for a dessert if we are getting one entree - but there are just so many good choices for this - I don't think there's any need to really plan this.

For Table Service "unexpected values" - I think the mid-range table service places that aren't buffets or signature restaurants - are great for having nice lunches on a budget. You can get one entree - maybe add an appetizer or a salad or a dessert - and that's plenty for two. And if you just split an entree - you could also plan for a snack to split at a later time.

For Counter Service - LOTS of choices. At MK - the burrito at Peco's Bill and the chicken meal at Cosmic Rays are winners for us. At EPCOT - Lotus Blossom Cafe is a winner for us. At AK - pizza and a salad at Pizzafari or Chinese at Yak & Yeti take out. HS is the tough one for us - we usually only eat TS here - both Prime Time and Mama Melrose have large servings.

Club sandwich at Plaza was huge when we went 2 yrs ago. Wish we would have split!

We always split Flame tree BBQ in AK. 3 meals fed my family of 6.

For some less expensive but still tasty and fun food, you could go to some of the Food & Wine Festival Kiosks; Sunshine Seasons; Contempo Café; Captain Cook's; several newer counter service places at Disney Springs, etc.

Lots of ways to save:

Bring breakfast and some snack items with you, also those cups of mac & cheese, or ramen noodles, or cup o'soup with crackers. The kids would be so hungry when we would return to the room so it was comfort food, plus filled them up. While not the most nutritious, your on vacation so for us we would let it slide.

I would order water from Staples and have delivered to the resort, huge saving here, water gets costly very quickly.

There is Garden Grocer which you could order and have delivered. But be careful not to over order, so that nothing goes to waste.

Most restaurant's will let you share, some will give you the plate to split and other will do it in the kitchen for you. But do ask before ordering, and make sure to tip for 2 people.

Check out the appetizer platters, most TS have something like this, if not quite enough add in a side salad to share as well.... or dessert..

Walk around the World Showcase in Epcot, lots of kiosks to grab something, eggrolls in China, crepes in France you get the idea.

Take a look at the menus here, and the food pictures to get a idea and over on allears they have complete menus with pricing..

Have a magical time...

One of my absolute favorite breakfasts at the CBR QS was the biscuits and gravy. It's actually considered a side, but it was plenty for me to eat and was under $5. I know I've seen it on several other resort QS menus, too.

We also do lots of sharing of meals. Many of the salads at the QS places can be shared (if they make them fresh, not the pre-made ones). We found many of the wraps/sandwiches are also large enough to split. Our biggest savings is in drinking ice water - any place will give you cups of ice water for free. We also pack some snacks and easy breakfast things from home. Many of the DS QS places are good options - Wolf Gang Puck Express, Blaze Pizza, or Earl of Sandwich. We also look for places with separate lunch and dinner menus and have our big meal at lunch. I have also ordered off the kids menu many times when I didn't have someone that wanted to share with me!

Ordering from the appetites menu for your entree can be the way to go. Some of the portions are quite large, and prices are generally half the entree price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter