Share your best AKL secret.....

julemm

Earning My Ears
We are going in October for our 2nd Disney trip and are excited about our stay at AKL. I would love to hear a few "must do" things or secrets you have experienced. Thanks for sharing.... :wave:

We're going to be at AKL for the first time in August. A couple of things I've heard about (but don't have too many details) are storytime in the evening and the culinary tour. I'd love to hear more about these and others!

julemm said:
We are going in October for our 2nd Disney trip and are excited about our stay at AKL. I would love to hear a few "must do" things or secrets you have experienced. Thanks for sharing.... :wave:

A "must do" to put on your list (if you have kids) is the nightly parade, 8 p.m. I belive, they have for kids at the marketplace. Each child get to choose their own instrument for the parade and they get a certificate afterwards. Our 2 DD's, ages 6 & 9, loved it! :goodvibes Have a great time!

We loved see the animals at night using the night vision scope. Make sure to take to some of the CM who are at the look out points. They are so interesting to talk with about the animals and life back home. One cast member was due to go back home and will be working in a game perserve.

The story telling is great..we only made it once and the South African girl with her accent was so interesting. She told a story about how a hen got it's spots and another one I can't remember.

Another thing we didn't catch onto until later was that if you talk to CM's and they tell you about their country they give you a card and the kids can try to collect cards from as many countries in Africa and learn at the same time.

My number one tip is to talk to everyone...I love to hear what brought bus drivers, the people working in World Showcase, lifeguards etc to Disney. People have such interesting stories to share.

Walk the hallways, both sides, and see what is going on in the savannahs. Be sure to hit the exit outdoor stairways for an even better view!

Bring binoculars. Take lot of pictures.

The kids can help feed the animals (flamingos) in the mornings (check w/ a CM).

There are cameras Everywhere outside. Bring clothes pins for the drapes.

Pick up the hidden Mickey hunt at the front desk. Beware, it's HARD. My kids loved doing this one rainy afternoon.

bobcat said:
Pick up the hidden Mickey hunt at the front desk. Beware, it's HARD. My kids loved doing this one rainy afternoon.
I didn't know about the hidden Mickey hunt that was available at the desk. But we did find, after much searching, the HM in the vines just outside the rear doors. This is one of my favorite HM's. We did cheat though and tried to find it from inside the stairtower. :rolleyes1

I am so surprised that people do not take advantage of all the tours that are available at the AKL. I guess they are too busy at the parks. We spent our first day at AKL without going to the parks and there are many thing to do. The culinary tour is a must. You get to see both Jiko and Boma, speak to the chefs and try some Jiko appetizers. Our family was the only people on the tour. Later that evening while eating dinner at Boma one of the Chefs remembered us and brought a special desert out to our table.
Another must do is the art tour. While the rest of my family was at the pool I took this tour. and it turned out to be just me and one other guest on the tour. A CM from Afrika gives the tour. Along with him telling us about the history and some interesting features of many of the items on display in the lobby we were able to hear about this CM's life in his homeland.

Oh, and don't miss the night vision goggles.

And our biggest secret of all .....stay in room 5425---close to the lobby but not too close, near 2 banks of elevators and it has a great unobstructed(no trees) view of Arusha Rock and three feeding areas in the Savanah. If you are not staying CL try to get rooms 4425 or 3425.

Hi! I'm 13 and had posted a question sort of like yours......I'm going to stay at AKL next year yay! :banana: I'm pretty laid back and I have a four year old brother so I still get a kick out of decorating cookies :artist: you get it.....I posted a thread on activites at AKL if you want to check it out just search my user name (missdramaqueen), under the forum of disney resorts-then you should find it. ;)

dbarker said:
Bring binoculars. Take lot of pictures.

The kids can help feed the animals (flamingos) in the mornings (check w/ a CM).

There are cameras Everywhere outside. Bring clothes pins for the drapes.

Great tips...thanks!

My secret is to book Standard or pool View during slow periods--Especially in September!. EVERYONE WAS UPGRADED last year when I went . When i thanked the nice CM(thinking it was her) she told me that during the slower times they upgrade everyone there. so we went from a Standard room using a $129 AP RATE to a nice pool view ! :cool1: :cool1:

Try the zebra dome brownies! They are so good. You can even buy them in the food court. Also, wander around the hotel grounds during sunset. It's beautiful. We loved watching the sun set from AKL. :thumbsup2

Relaxing in the hot tubs at night...it is so relaxing...I found the one off the the right when you go out gets less crowded than the one on the right bc it is a little more hidden...its behind the slide

The biggest secret is that AKL will ruin you. After having stayed at AKL on our previous 2 stays, we went back to POFQ June 10th - 18th to save money because we were on the DCL western cruise the week before. I should have spent the extra money. My wife and I kept talking about how something was missing. There was nothing wrong with POFQ, but we missed the overall ambiance of the AKL, the sights, smells, activities, and music. We have come to realize how integral staying at AKL has become to our whole WDW experience.

Get some flatbreads :thumbsup2 from Jiko as takeout and bring them back to your room for a picinic on your balcony. We had a sunset dinner with the giraffes one night and it was one of the highlights of our trip

In the afternoons, not sure what time, some of the CMs will be in the lobby with "interesting" things for you to feel and try to guess what they are. My kids loved this, and they CM's are so anxious to tell you all about themselves and their country. Also, they have a class in the little round room to the left after you pass the check in desk where they have African instruments for everyone to play. Even my 15 year old loved this!

julemm said:

AKL is our absolute favorite! you are going to love it! First of all - Zebra Domes!! Check the board in the lobby for daily activities for kids - they are a lot of fun - for adults, too. Definitely spend a little time outside at the fire pit on the rocking chairs. My DH and I spent our first night chatting with other guests from all over the world - I guess something about being on vacation in the happiest place on Earth makes people tend to talk to strangers easier - but it was really special, and we got a lot of tips there as well. Have fun!! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter