Shannon & Craig's Scottish/Canadian Wedding ~ May 5/08 ~ WPBeach/ADH ~ We're Married!

scottish/canadian

Mouseketeer
Less than three months to go until the “big” day and I think it’s high time I started a PJ! I’m pretty much freaking out that we’ll never get everything done, so it’ll be good for me to see all I have accomplished layed out in front of me! :goodvibes

I’ll start with the basics…us!

Bride: Shannon, 28, from Ontario, Canada
Groom: Craig, 27 (28 soon, I’m only the older woman by exactly 4 months!!) from Scotland

How did we meet?

That’s a fun story.

I have been to Disney more times than I can count over the years. My parents would rip me out of school for three weeks every April and we’d drive in our Motorhome down to Fort Wilderness. I have been a Disney nut my whole life and always knew my dream job would be to work there. I was lucky enough to live my dream in 2003-2004, when I was a participant in the WDW International Program. I worked as a Merchandise and Attractions Hostess at EPCOT in the Canadian Pavilion. Yep, dressed as a lumberjack selling maple syrup, hockey books and introducing our 360 movie. My dream. Mom’s last words…don’t run off and meet some guy from halfway around the world!! My response…don’t worry mom, I have no intention!! Ha. I really didn’t.

Craig…a Disney nut? Not so much. He was raised in hotels his whole life and heard of the International Program while he was in Hospitality School. He applied and was accepted to work F&B in the United Kingdom Pavilion, sometimes serving but mainly on the bar in the Rose and Crown. I arrived in Orlando in August of 2003 and Craig arrived just six weeks after me in September. Odd twist of fate…Craig and I had actually “chatted” on a message board for IP participants as we both originally had the same August arrival date. With the war, his date ended up being delayed by six weeks and that was that.

One day I went to the cafeteria for lunch and was standing in line for my usual (and super healthy) grilled cheese and spicy fries, when this really cute, and super tall, guy in a UK F&B costume joined the line behind me. I played it all cool (ummm…yeah right) and said something super stellar to him along the lines of I think it’s going to rain. Orlando at 3pm in October?? Never! He just smiled and took his lunch and went away. I thought I was just about the biggest idiot ever!! I did take two seconds to notice his nametag however. It said “Chris” but I knew that wasn’t his real name because it had no hometown on it. I went home that night and grilled my new UK roommate on who he could be. I’d never seen him before so I knew that he must have arrived recently, just like her. She couldn’t figure it out.

A couple of days later, I happened to be walking through our apartment complex with my Canadian friend and was like, “that’s him!” She was confused, but then came around and was like, oh, that’s Craig. He had arrived on the same day as some Canadians we knew. Another couple days later, October 17th to be exact, some UKers were having a limo party for someone’s birthday and my UK roomie invited me along, promising me that Craig would be there. I decided to go along and she promised to introduce us. We showed up at the limos and he was definitely there. Hard to miss a tall, dark and handsome guy in a kilt! It was a great night, but we didn’t end up meeting until the after party back at the complex. My roomie, Sarah, and I devised a really creative plan, where she would go over and talk to him, and I would walk (okay, by this point, stumble) over and she would casually do the “Hey, have you met my roommate?” Well, our slick maneuver worked as we ended up chatting until the wee hours. We made plans to meet up with some others at the pool the next day. We ended up spending seven hours laying by the pool and chatting. Finally, cold and starving, decided to get a group to go to Planet Hollywood for dinner. Apparently, nobody else could make it, so it was just us. I remember being in my apartment and freaking out to my friends on the phone. We had a great time at dinner and that was it.

We spent as much time as possible together during our year, but there was always that thought that the bubble would have to burst and we’d both go back to our respective hemispheres. We have spent a lot of time apart since leaving Disney in the fall of 2004, but actually managed to spend a lot of time together too. We made concentrated efforts to take long vacations of 3-6 weeks to visit whenever possible. He moved here on a work visa for a year, but once that was finished we were left to play the what if game again. It was super stressful, but we kind of knew that if we wanted to continue our relationship, the only option was to get married.

The Proposal

After Craig completed his work visa in May of 2006, we were kind of at a loss of what to do next. We spent the summer exploring options and not really coming up with much. Needing a face to face visit, Craig brought his mom over in September 2006. I was working at the airport hotel and my shift ended just minutes after his plane arrived. Perfect. I spent the whole morning checking the arrival times and his plane was early. Ugh. I begged my way out of work 15 minutes early as I figured by the time he cleared customs, etc., etc., I’d be there just in time. Nope. As always, my super prompted self figured wrong and they got through really quick. When I got there, they were standing waiting for me. Oh well. We jumped in the car and went home. We took his luggage to my room and he started to unpack and give me all the things I had requested that he bring. I kept telling him to stop and not to unpack right now, just to chill out. But he insisted. Okay fine. Finally he handed me this little plush purse in the shape of a Highland Cow…my favourite. He told me to open it and I did and he had the ring box inside. He got down on his knee in my bedroom and asked me to marry him. I didn’t answer right away, just kept telling him he was nuts!!! I wanted to run out and tell my mom, but as it turns out, his mom was already telling her!!! His plan had been to do it after he walked out the door at the airport, but since I wasn’t there, I screwed it up! Oh well. I was still amazing. We had a surprise party for my Dad’s 60th a few days later so I got to tell all my family then.

We knew that this wedding was going to be a logistical nightmare with all my family in Canada and his spread across Scotland and England. Either they would have to travel or mine would have to travel. I was shocked when my non-Disney loving fiancé suggested a Disney Wedding. I jumped all over it. Perfect…make everyone have to travel! Only seemed fair!!!

Bridal Party

Maid of Honour – My younger sister, Jamie
Best Man – Nando (Craig’s BF from home)
Bridesmaids – Kiley (childhood BF from home), Brandy & Kathy (two of my BFs from Disney), Beth (Craig’s 12-year old cousin)
Ushers – Ali, Willy, Donald (all Craig’s friends from home) – he was also supposed to have one more, John, however, John’s wife is pregnant and due right around the wedding date
Ring Bearers – Kenny (7), David (5) both are friends of my family
Flower Child (Well, not really sure what to call him) – Mason (3 months, son of my BM Brandy) – She will actually carry him rather than a bouquet for the ceremony.

I was really obsessed with having equal numbers on each side, so I had to come up with a new plan when we lost John. I decided that I could deal with Beth on her own, or with the two boys…at least the “grown-ups” matched.

I will be walking down the aisle with both of my parents, as I didn’t understand why my mom got left out. I only have one grandparent left, my paternal grandma, and she will be walked down the aisle by my closest uncle. Craig’s parents are divorced, so his dad will walk down with his stepmom, and Craig’s mom will be walking down with either her brother or the Best Man.

Wedding Specifics

Consultant: Kristi Davis
Planner: Ken Weaver (had another planner, but we weren’t happy so we changed and are now very happy!)
Floral Designer: Laura Kidd

Date: Monday, May 5, 2008 – exactly 6 months from my birthday! My immediate family all celebrate their birthdays within a month and then you have the holidays. The rest of the year was always kind of boring. Now I get presents every six months! Craig and I were both born on the 5th of the month, so it fit. Since picking our date, everything seems to keep coming up 5’s!
Ceremony: Wedding Pavilion Beach at 5pm
Reception: Atlantic Dance Hall at 6pm (extended til 1am)

I am not a morning person, so didn’t want to have to get up super early to get my hair done. We also didn’t want the whole day to be over really early! We are really crossing our fingers that it doesn’t rain. Our back up is inside the Pavilion and neither one of us really like the location…too churchy for us, but decided that it at least had some character rather than a blank ballroom somewhere.

Vendors

Officiant: Reverend Randal Miller – Neither of us are religious, so we figured if he’s good enough for Johnny Damon, he’s good enough for us!
Photography: Gary Fox – we met with him in November and he started straight up with his prices and packages, then showed us pics. All the others tried to wow us with the pics first and then went into prices. We preferred the straight up approach. He even offers a discount for weekday weddings!
Video: STVS
Hair/Makeup: Beaute Speciale

I can't really think of anything else for now. Tomorrow I will try and post some pics of attire, invitations, etc. Now, I must sleep.

TO BE CONTINUED!!! :wizard:

Woo hoo another may bride!!!!!We come in the day you get married :)

Your story is great.The International program sounds like so much fun,what a cool experience and you were able to find your soulmate :)

I look forward to seeing you pics!!!

Congratulations and welcome to the board! My family use to go from Ontario to Fort Wilderness when we were kids as well. I always wanted to be one of the lumberjacks in the Canada pavilion at Epcot! What a great way to meet your future husband.

Congratulations and welcome! Ken is absolutely wonderful and will make your day so special! Can't wait to see pics! :goodvibes

Being the dork I am, I find it very cute that S and C are constant through the first letter in your name and the first letter in your countries :lmao: I can't wait to read more; I LOVE that you are having a beach wedding!

Shannon, I'd like to apologize now for the definite possibility that I hit on your DF while he was working at Epcot. :lmao: My friend and I used to play a game we call 'Hot Boys Around the World' where we'd go and basically harass all the good-looking IP boys. So chances are good that Craig was one of them. :thumbsup2 ;)

I'm still going to keep playing the game though, as it clearly did not negatively affect your relationship. :rotfl:

What a great story about your history together! :goodvibes Congratulations on your engagement!

I'm from Ontario too!! :thumbsup2

I'm excited to read more about your plans. Especially about the WP beach - I have never heard of that option before! Do you have pictures?? ;)

What a great story about your history together! :goodvibes Congratulations on your engagement!

I'm from Ontario too!! :thumbsup2

I'm excited to read more about your plans. Especially about the WP beach - I have never heard of that option before! Do you have pictures?? ;)

Thanks! I have one that I will try to post.

Shannon, I'd like to apologize now for the definite possibility that I hit on your DF while he was working at Epcot. :lmao: My friend and I used to play a game we call 'Hot Boys Around the World' where we'd go and basically harass all the good-looking IP boys. So chances are good that Craig was one of them. :thumbsup2 ;)

I'm still going to keep playing the game though, as it clearly did not negatively affect your relationship. :rotfl:

Ha!!!! That's an awesome game. Sometimes my friends and I would just spend the day at the pool in our housing complex....... :rolleyes1

Being the dork I am, I find it very cute that S and C are constant through the first letter in your name and the first letter in your countries :lmao: I can't wait to read more; I LOVE that you are having a beach wedding!

I had actually never noticed!!

Congratulations and :welcome: can't wait to hear more!

Thanks!

Congratulations and welcome! Ken is absolutely wonderful and will make your day so special! Can't wait to see pics! :goodvibes

We were nervous after changing, but he has been great so far. Can't wait to actually meet him.

Congratulations and welcome to the board! My family use to go from Ontario to Fort Wilderness when we were kids as well. I always wanted to be one of the lumberjacks in the Canada pavilion at Epcot! What a great way to meet your future husband.

So did I, and the day I found out that I could was the best day of my life (well, to that point at least!)

Woo hoo another may bride!!!!!We come in the day you get married :)

Your story is great.The International program sounds like so much fun,what a cool experience and you were able to find your soulmate :)

I look forward to seeing you pics!!!

Keep your eyes open for us on the Boardwalk!

Our computer at home has bitten the dust, so I'm going to see if I can get a couple pics up while I'm here at work. Wish me luck!

Here are a few crazy pics I found of us. Sorry, they are so huge. I have tried to make them smaller but it doesn't seem to work!! If anyone can do it, feel free!

ShanPics096.jpg

Skating at the Air Canada Centre. Craig has quickly picked up hockey as a favourite sport since coming here. We're both pretty big Leaf fans (I know, I know :confused3 )

ShanPics121.jpg

Taken on a cell phone at a Leaf game.

ScotlandJune07015.jpg

On one of my last visits to Scotland, Craig took me to a music festival and I had a chance to enjoy some beautiful scottish weather. (Hey, at least I got some cool new wellies!!)

I don't want to post pics of my dress because Craig goes on here sometimes. Let's just say that it's the only time in my life that I'll get to wear a Princess dress, so I'm running with it.

Here is my tiara...it's the Swarovski Cinderella one.

tiara.jpg

The boys will be wearing a kilt and all the assorted gear...

kilt.jpg

in the Holyrood tartan from Dunedin Scottish in Tampa. They had five to choose from and this was our least favourite online, but by far the nicest and most lively in person.

holyrood.jpg

This is what all of my girls will be wearing. It is from Raylia Designs and they make it in Junior. The back is lace-up, which we loved! Most of their dresses lace and come in junior.

bridesmaid.jpg

bridesmaidback.jpg

The dresses will be in Royal Blue Chiffon, which I guess is kind of the colour of this text...more or less...give or take... The underlayer goes to just above the chest and then the chiffon overlayer is sheer above that and into the halter. The halter has matching blue and silver and clear crystals and beading on it.

I'm super annoyed as I wrote a big long entry on here yesterday but it clearly didn't post!! Grrr...

We have our room blocks at All-Star Sports, Caribbean Beach and Boardwalk. Most of my family and most of our friends are staying at All-Star. Craig's family is staying off site as they got a wicked deal from the UK. My one uncle that wanted to stay in the moderate resort threw us for a bit of a loop and requests to stay at Port Orleans, so Ken is looking into that. We are DVC, so we have two rooms (one for us and one for mom, dad, sis and sis's bf) booked for most of the time at Saratoga Springs. We will all be moving to rooms at Boardwalk for three nights and we have our comp room there in a Garden Suite. We have easily made up the 75 nights in our block and still have included our ten nights, my parents ten nights or our other DVC friends.

My biggest concern about the block is that I read somewhere that the pool at Sports will be under refurb the weekend prior to our wedding...ie. the weekend that everyone is there! I've inquired about it a couple of times but have been told no, so I hope Disney is telling me the truth!

While my parents are staying on points for all of their nights, Craig and I are not for our three nights at Boardwalk. The last night is our comp night in the Garden Suite and we have a standard room booked for the two before that (which are the night before and the night of the wedding). We are trying to decide whether to fork out the cash and upgrade to at least a better view or a concierge level room. I know that our planner has put a request for an upgrade on our room, but we know that it's not guaranteed, so we're not sure what to do. Thoughts or advice???

Up next...the much anticipated beach pic and decor ideas!

So, here it is...the much anticipated and much requested pic of the WP Beach. It's not the best and I can't find any of the other ones they sent me.

WPB1.jpg

Our ceremony will be turned a lot more to the right. There will be a little corner view of the GF, but the majority of the background will be Tomorrowland!! You can't actually see the castle from the beach, but I love Space Mountain so it works for me!

The theme for our ceremony is beach/tropical. The aisle will be super wide to fit my dress and both parents. It will be marked by tiki torches, with a couple across the front as well. We will have a table at the front for the sand ceremony with some sort of tropical arrangement on it. Laura just sent me pics of one they did and I hate it, so we'll have to go back to the drawing board on that one I think. Guests will be on the plain white plastic chairs...their bums will cover them anyways!! We will be having a bagpiper and a sound system with mics and CD player so everyone can hear. The bagpiper will be playing during seating and we will be using TBD music to walk down the aisle...although I already know that I will walk down to "When you wish upon a star." We have indicated to our planner that if rain gets in the way of setting up all of the chairs, we are fine with having all of our guests standing (except my Grandma).

Our cocktail hour and reception will be at Atlantic Dance Hall. We don't really have a "theme" but we are running more with a colour scheme...lime green and turquoise blue (really wanted these two colours in polka dots!) with accents of yellow and purple. I might need another accent colour in the flowers and if so, then and only then, will I allow pink...and it must be hot pink. I'm not really a pink kinda girl. We want everything to be very fun, whimsical, silly, different, bright, etc...but with a touch of Disney and some sparkle. Here are some pics to give you an idea of what I have been using as "inspiration". If I stole these from you, thanks for the great help! These obviously aren't in the right colour scheme.

redsquare.jpg

pink.jpg

I love the textured table linens.

smartiebottom.jpg

One of my favourite candies as a kid was Smarties...the Canadian and UK Smarties (like M&Ms), not the American ones in a roll. Craig and I read in a magazine that you should scatter these on the tables like confetti for a burst of colour!! They mostly fit in the colour scheme so I'd put them in the vase and on the tables. Might get some personalized M&Ms just to throw into the mix.

Laura sent me some flower pics that she thought would work in the scheme. The first two are my favourite and they would be dipped in glue and then dipped in glitter to look like fireworks. Most likely in a vase with gel, glitter and glowcubes. I would like to encorporate some of the different antenna toppers into these as well...as I'm slightly obsessed with them.

DelistarTealBlueonWhite.jpg

DelistarLimeGreenonYellow.jpg

TintedDaisyTurquoise.jpg

These will be on the big tables and the small tables will be a cluster of smaller vases with blue and green gel, glitter and glow cubes. Like the antenna toppers, I also have a slight obsession with things that light up! I had 680 christmas lights in my rez room one year!

We will be having Mickey and Minnie help us cut the cake. They will be in their standard red, black and yellow gear...not a huge fan of their wedding attire. My favourite character is Dopey. He is the only dwarf that can appear on his own, so I'm begging my mom to let him come with them!!! :flower3:

We are looking into having a photobooth. Disney got me a quote of $3500, so I'm looking for an outside vendor. Not sure yet whether I'll have to pay any fee to Disney to do it.

We are also putting our names on the marquee outside ADH...which was suprisingly "cheap".

Next up...cake!

One of my favourite candies as a kid was Smarties...the Canadian and UK Smarties (like M&Ms), not the American ones in a roll. Craig and I read in a magazine that you should scatter these on the tables like confetti for a burst of colour!! They mostly fit in the colour scheme so I'd put them in the vase and on the tables. Might get some personalized M&Ms just to throw into the mix.

Congratulations...I'm really enjoying looking at all your fab choices (I always wanted a Disney wedding and never got one so I love reading about other peoples). Another idea for sweeties for the table is Love Heart sweeties by Swizzle, they can personalise them and they look really cool. I made my cake myself and it was pale pink and covered in tiny hearts and said Love Heart sweeties (not everyones taste but I thought is was fun)

Keep up the good work:thumbsup2

So, at this point, it should come as no shock that we didn't really want to go traditional for the cake either...Mad Hatter it is! This was the pic that sold it to us...

MadHatter-Variation2.jpg

The bottom layer will be two-tone green checkerboard/plaid. The middle layer yellow background with multi-coloured (blue and green) fondant and stamped mickeys. Just like this...

MickeysonMadHatter.jpg

The top layer will be dark blue background with other blue tone circles like this cake...

ChampagneCelebration.jpg

We were originally using the topper from this cake...

ShimmeringBubbles.jpg

...but now I think I really like the one from the Mickey cake above. Or Laura is checking with the bakery to see if we can wire antenna toppers sticking out of the top.

Flavours

Top and Bottom - Chocolate with Milk Chocolate Mousse
Middle - Marble with Strawberry Mousse
We have too many people for this cake so we actually have to have a little slab cake made as well. It will be Almond with Amaretto filling. Tastes just like the icing on Christmas Cake. Yum.

I went to a wedding show here with a friend and a cake company had a Banana cake. So I have since found out that Disney can make me a banana sponge cake, but I'm not sure what we'd give up to get it. Oh well.

I love cake and I can't wait to eat it!!! I found out that even though you can't take any cake but the top layer with you, if your guests wanted to take a piece with them and you gave them a container, they would let them take a piece. So we'll be doing that so we don't leave any behind!

Invitation Pics Next!

I had thought about making the invitations myself, but who am I kidding...I don't have time for that!! We ordered these and they are fantastic. The only changes we made were to add a green ribbon down the front behind the white square and to have our names on the little square in blue and the quote in brown.

InvitationDesign.jpg

Everyone that has seen them really likes them.

For the guestbook, we are going to make the photobook online. We have so many pics from our year at Disney, etc. as I'm a photo nut. Really excited to do that and I have already started to look for pictures.

Those are all the pics that I have to show right now. I do have the bridal party floral pretty much sorted so I'll post that soon. Should probably go do some work now though!!

First of all, your wellingtons are awesome!!!!!

LOVE your BM dresses, your CP (very simple but beautiful) and your cake. I was wondering if they could customize the mad hatter cake.

I also want a ceremony at the WP beach. How fun :goodvibes

congratulations! Love the tiara! BM dresses are very pretty!

Looking forward to more!:)

This is SO pretty! :goodvibes

I love royal blue! I think that colour will look amazing in those dresses!

Thank you both!! I am so nervous about how their dresses will look and how they will fit with mine and the boys in the kilts.

Congratulations...I'm really enjoying looking at all your fab choices (I always wanted a Disney wedding and never got one so I love reading about other peoples). Another idea for sweeties for the table is Love Heart sweeties by Swizzle, they can personalise them and they look really cool. I made my cake myself and it was pale pink and covered in tiny hearts and said Love Heart sweeties (not everyones taste but I thought is was fun)

Keep up the good work:thumbsup2

Great idea! I had never thought of that. We are trying to incorporate a few Scottish touches as well, but Craig's not all that up on Scottish wedding traditions. Any ideas?

First of all, your wellingtons are awesome!!!!!

LOVE your BM dresses, your CP (very simple but beautiful) and your cake. I was wondering if they could customize the mad hatter cake.

I also want a ceremony at the WP beach. How fun :goodvibes

I love them too and everyone makes fun of me!! We just kind of told them what we liked about other cakes and made them into one...so simple. The beach is awesome and it has the WP as the rain back up, which is better than an empty ballroom. :beach:

Thanks for reading. Hopefully I can add some more this week once I fix my computer at home! :badpc:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter