Shanghai Disneyland Grand Opening Trip Planning Thread

Thanks, it's interesting that for you the authorization is longer than one week. But it also sounds like it was only authorized and not actually charged yet. If I were you I'd keep an eye on the transaction every few days to see if it gets charged. Please let us know how things progress.

Felix

Yes, it's clear that it hasn't actually been charged yet. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

I am visiting Shanghai Disneyland with my husband in August! Booked Toy Story Hotel when bookings opened on Easter, but we haven't booked tickets yet. I am also no longer seeing my charge on my credit card, but I'm not too worried about it. Especially since we have the confirmation email and are able to see it online. I asked a friend who recently visited Tokyo Disneyland, and he said the charges from them didn't post to his credit card for almost a month.

I agree that Disney is not likely going to give us hotel stays or tickets for free. I just wonder what the exchange rate will be when the transaction actually posts to my account. I'll just keep watching and watching this thread to see if anyone's transactions get posted.

I can't believe how quickly tickets for Opening Day sold out, yet there are still tickets left for the 17th, 18th and 19th. I would have expected most people who were attending Opening Day to spend more than one day at the park! I'm expecting the 18th to sell out next, being the first weekend day that the park will be open.

I was also officially charged today. The charge showed as "SHDRAFC" which threw me until I worked out what it was. lol

Uh oh. My charges have dropped off my credit card...

I personally think any trips this year have a high likelihood of issues. The recent videos show this park is built for ginourmous crowds. I'd LOVE to know how many tickets constituted a sellout. I could see it be 70,000 or more. But there are few rides to take everyone in.

The park looks incredible, but it's really Tron and a massively updated pirates, then a lot of duplicates. Any pics of Peter Pan? I'm curious if that is a big update.

I think this park is going to be totally overwhelmed for MONTHS, if not years. This was NOT the place to build a half park, as Disney loves to do now.

It doesnt really matter if it has a bunch of duplicate rides though? Those are the 'core' rides which you think of when you think of Disneyland. I dont think anyone in China would care that other parks have the same rides..and this park is mainly aimed at the chinese population.

I'm not sure that this thread is really the place to get into debate about the merits of SDL. It's simply a planning thread for those planning to attend Opening Day, and those who are planning to go are excited and enthusiastic despite any trepidations we may have about logistics or over-crowding.

Maybe this thread would be a better place for such a debate?

Or feel free to start your own :thumbsup2

I'm not planning to attend Opening Day, but it looks like my trip for early July is still a go - just waiting for the exact dates to get sorted out still before I purchase my hotel and tickets!

I'm not planning to attend Opening Day, but it looks like my trip for early July is still a go - just waiting for the exact dates to get sorted out still before I purchase my hotel and tickets!

Yay! Looks like Saturday nights in July are starting to sell out at the SDL Hotel, so don't leave it too long ;)

The park looks awesome to me. We were sold once we saw the toy story hotel as we love toy story here lol I can't wait to read everyones trip reports! Hope to go to Shanghai Disney in the future sometime :)

Yay! Looks like Saturday nights in July are starting to sell out at the SDL Hotel, so don't leave it too long ;)

It's not in my hands, unfortunately. I've been invited to a conference but haven't been told the exact dates yet. There is a bit of a language barrier to deal with as well.

Speaking of language barriers, do you think it will be difficult to communicate at the parks and, especially, the hotel?

That's what I'm expecting - maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised though! I've met English speaking people from Shanghai at previous conferences and still had to concentrate hard to try to understand what they were saying. It is doable though and I like that kind of challenge. :)

Yep, I'm expecting this too. It's all part of the experience though!

I hit a LOT if parks in Japan, and Disneyland truly was one of the worst, as far as talking to someone in English. I lucked out and noticed one girl by mansion switched to English as I walked by, and I picked her brain for 5 minutes. Even guest services spoke little English. I was pretty shocked

Similar at Paris, and even more shocking with a Eurostar from London going right to the park daily.

Similar at Paris, and even more shocking with a Eurostar from London going right to the park daily.

I didn't have any trouble communicating with CMs in Paris, and haven't had any trouble in HK either (except for the time when I described a snack as a 'small meal' and the CM came out with a cup of milk for me lol!). I've heard Tokyo can be difficult though. I'm expecting Shanghai to be as bad or worse than Tokyo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter