Shame on Wal Mart

We get double time if we work on a holiday... 8 hours 'holiday' pay (that all full time employees get regardless of whether you work or not), + 8 hours (or however long) of actual 'work'.

Regarding the Mass 'Blue Laws', I'm surprised those haven't been challenged in courts. I also wonder how many companies have NOT gone to Mass because of those laws.
Interesting question, Sam. Since the laws were changed - t allow Sunday and, subsequently holiday, retail operations - we've actually had a number of national companies enter the Massachusetts market. A few, off the top of my head:
Walmart
Bloomingdales
Nordstrom
Ikea
Target
Sephora
Ulta
Wegman's
Retailers aren't forced to open these days (Christmas and Thanksgiving they can't be open, and while Easter isn't mentioned, many don't); they're simply allowed to operate by law. Yes, you lose sales if you're closed and your competition is open - but if you don't want to pay your employees the required [at least] time and a half, there's no need to fight the law in court. Just don't open those days.

Me? I'll be working all day - but customer service, not retail, so my employer only has to pay me straight time. but that's the job I took :).

Walmarts out here are 24 hours including thanksgiving. In the past they have had a sign up sheet for all the ones that want to work then hire who they need after that

That's what planning ahead means. ;)

Planning ahead doesn't exempt people from forgetting something. You can plan ahead to make cookies and think that bottle in back is vanilla, but then find out it is almond extract.

People's lives don't stop because it is Sunday. And I'm happy most businesses know that. No one is forced to shop on Sunday, or on any holiday if they don't chose to. And anyone who works retail knows the hours are crazy.

maxiesmom said:
Planning ahead doesn't exempt people from forgetting something. You can plan ahead to make cookies and think that bottle in back is vanilla, but then find out it is almond extract.

People's lives don't stop because it is Sunday. And I'm happy most businesses know that. No one is forced to shop on Sunday, or on any holiday if they don't chose to. And anyone who works retail knows the hours are crazy.

very well said. I for one am glad stores are open on some holidays, and open longer. and your right, when you apply for a job in retail youre aware that you most likely will get crazy hours.

As i said before, those who are against shopping on holidays or black Friday dont have to shop there. its quite simple.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Retailers aren't forced to open these days (Christmas and Thanksgiving they can't be open, and while Easter isn't mentioned, many don't); they're simply allowed to operate by law. Yes, you lose sales if you're closed and your competition is open - but if you don't want to pay your employees the required [at least] time and a half, there's no need to fight the law in court. Just don't open those days.
I just have a problem with government telling businesses they have to pay employees a certain amount if they work a certain day. To me, employers are free to pay their workers time and a half whenever they want. Or giving them weekends and holidays off. To me, those are "perks". If someone doesn't want to work a certain day, don't take a job that requires those hours.

dsneprincess said:
I, personally, miss the "old days" when everything was closed on Sunday. I will NOT buy anything anywhere on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I remember when stores were closed Sundays. That was so dreadful. Im glad everything is open all the time now. :)

Sent from my Galaxy SII

i really appreciate that stores are open 24/7 and on holidays.

with my schedule, i hit stores after midnight many times.........and on holidays.

there are many that do not have the 9-5 M-F employment.

This year Target opens at 9 pm on Thanksgiving night.

I will be working 8:45 pm thanksgiving night until 5:15 am black friday morning.

So, my thanksgiving will be wake up, breakfast, sleep, eat thanksgiving food, nap, then go to work.

I don't remember a time when some type of store wasn't open on Sunday.

Differences from one region of the world to the next. Most Californians would be shocked at your liquor sales laws. We expect to be able to pickup hard liquor at any grocery store, convience store of gas station mini-market. Only rule here is you have to be 21 (not 19 like in New Brunswich), and no alcohol sales of any kind between 2 am and 6 am.

I remember when stores were closed Sundays. That was so dreadful. Im glad everything is open all the time now. :)

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Town my FIL lives in still have blue laws, stores closed on Sunday, and no hard liquor sales allowed within the city limits. It explains why the grocery stores and Walmart are all outside the city limits.

I, personally, miss the "old days" when everything was closed on Sunday.

Nobody is forcing you to go out and shop on Sunday. You can sit at home and have yourself a good old day ;)

I couldn't imagine stores being closed on Sundays, what a waste of a full shopping day!

I don't mind any stores being open 365 days a week, but I would hope no one would be FORCED to work on their day of worship (if they have one) or on any holiday they would like to observe by not working.

I used to work retail and always volunteered to work on those time and a half days.

My daughter is an RN - and doesn't know what a 9 to 5 day is. She appreciates that she can go to the store when she is off from work - whether that is a Sunday or a holiday.

I don't mind any stores being open 365 days a week, but I would hope no one would be FORCED to work on their day of worship (if they have one) or on any holiday they would like to observe by not working.

About a hundred years ago (or so it seems), I lived and worked in a major northern city. Anyone who wanted to go to Good Friday services got an extra (paid) hour for lunch so they could attend. Amazing how many people got religion that day. Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Buddhists, Rastafarians, Animists, Wiccans, Athiests, you name it, EVERYBODY headed out for "church". IT WAS A MIRACLE!!!

It's a good thought, but IMO, the employee needs to do a little research before applying for a job also. I don't think someone should be allowed to apply for "weekend stockboy" for example, and then when hired says "I can't work Sundays because I need to go to church."

Now, someone who normally works Mon-Fri and then is told they're going to be moved to Wed-Sun has a right to complain.

Also, under your idea, couldn't someone use "religion" as the reason NOT to fill in for someone on their day of worship. Yes, it might be legitimate, but it might not. How do you tell?

Town my FIL lives in still have blue laws, stores closed on Sunday, and no hard liquor sales allowed within the city limits. It explains why the grocery stores and Walmart are all outside the city limits.

Even convenience stores are closed on Sunday?

Choices. Plus if it's like my family, the party's over well before 8:00. And I'm sure some people don't mind skipping out on certain relatives. ;)

33rd straight Thanksgiving working for me, and my wife.

My mom was a nurse, she occassionally got Thanksgiving off, but normally worked.

So Thanksgiving as a work day has been the norm for my 55 years.

Drove my MIL nuts, she worked at a law firm, they had all 16 court holidays off.

This sums it up. Some people just don't understand that others have to work for whatever reason on holidays. They are usually the same ones that want every thing to be the same way every year and throw a semi-tantrum about possibly working out a different get together time so everyone can be together (DSIL was appalled that I worked Christmas Eve morning while BIL had to put in a shift at the hospital). Both my parents were teachers, but they were very understanding that other people were not off.

The retail stores I have worked for would work with people that wanted to go to church on Sunday morning and schedule them to work later in the day.

We can't have it both ways - stores need to be open or or they need to be closed. If we went back to closing all retail on Sunday - lots of people would be yelling. Even my most religious friends, go to church on Sunday and then go shopping afterwards. Who do they think is keeping those stores open?

I was raised Southern Baptist. When I was younger, we were not allowed to go to a movie theater on Sunday, we were not allowed to go to the skating rink. Almost all stores were closed on Sunday.

On top of all of this, there are people that work on Sunday because they need the money to make ends meet. Stopping Sunday hours would hurt the economy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter