shallac for nails

I keep gels on all the time - I can make mine last about 3 weeks, but at that point the growth of my nail is beginning to be too obvious near the cuticle.

I guess I need to find a new salon though - they do have me soak in acetone to remove and this last time, I noticed that my nails are really dried out. It is worth it to me though - I have never been able to keep regular polish on for more than a day or two without them looking like a mess.

I've done both French and color, but French is my usual. LOVE them. I can't imagine NOT doing them for vacation.

When you say gels, do you mean gel nails or the shellac/gelish./hybrid manicure? The gel nails are a completely different animal.

It is as much about application as the product. I don't care for the OPI brand (but love their regular polish) but have heard CND is the way to go.

I had it done once and it chipped within 2 days and after using it, it took a good while for my nails to get healthy again. Never again.

I've been getting shellac for 2 years now. I haven't looked back. They are the best . Mine last for about 2 weeks although i have stretched it to 3 and they require acetone to take the polish off, but mine dosen' chip that often .

They are my biweekly splurge and i wouldn't change that even if i do spend 30.00 for them.

Me, too. Except I've only been doing it just over a year. I won't live without it if I don't have to.
Sometimes I have chips, but it's been rare.

A couple of things, if a nail salon is using a drill, run fast! They aren't trained properly and aren't doing it right. The correct way will have your nails wrapped, with an acetone-soaked cotton ball and aluminum foil or with special shellac made "nail booties" (as I call them). You let them sit for about 10 minutes and then the polish should get scraped off with an orange stick.

Absolutely true. Do not let them drill your nails to get it off!

I agree about the proper removal. I've had a few salons try to stick my nails into a bowl of acetone--this was very, very drying to my nails and I make sure to ONLY go to salons that take the time to do the acetone on a cotton ball removal. It comes off very easily that way.

Also agree on the cuticle oil!

My sole complaint about Shellac is when oh when are they going to come out with more colors??! I've done all the colors I like, I've even layered them, but geez, they have SO FEW CHOICES! I wish more salons around here did Gelish, they have so many more colors to pick from!

I never heard of it so went to read about shellac. Sounds great! Are these the only colors though? I like a 'real' red.

shellac-nail-colours-new1.jpg

I never heard of it so went to read about shellac. Sounds great! Are these the only colors though? I like a 'real' red.

No. That was the first release awhile back. There have been quite a few since then.
You'd probably want...Decadence. Masquerade is also very nice.
Keep in mind that the outside of the CND bottles is not the best representation of the real color, even in person. So in a picture it's even worse.

No. That was the first release awhile back. There have been quite a few since then.
You'd probably want...Decadence. Masquerade is also very nice.
Keep in mind that the outside of the CND bottles is not the best representation of the real color, even in person. So in a picture it's even worse.

Thanks, will check it out.:)

Another advantage to the Shellac and one that is just as important to me as the lasting nature of the manicure is... NO RUINING WET NAILS!! This manicure is dry when they are done. You can put your hands in your purse, grab your keys, no problem. No need to sit around waiting for them to dry and then ruining them as you walk out the door. LOVE LOVE LOVE that!

shellac-nail-colours-new1.jpg

As pp mentioned, decadence is a great color. I get lots of compliments. Also, there are limited colors, BUT if your tech knows what she is doing, they are very "mixable" which is why they don't make more colors For example, I did black under decadence to get a really deep dark red. My salon has a CNDC pamphlet that shows suggested mixes. Black under any color deepens it, white under any color brightens it. Just today I got clearly pink over strawberry smoothie for a nice light pink color.

Also. I usually get 2 weeks from mine, but I was at universal and wdw for 12 days. We stayed at beach club. Definitely the water and sand did them in after about a week. Key is to NOT pick at it when it starts to look like it will peel. It does actually stay on.

I love love love shellac polish. I went a few times to a salon to get it done then went ahead and bought the lamp and polish to do at home. It literally has paid for itself. I even do my DD nails too.

My nails, before shellac, would not keep the polish for more than a day or two. They would lift off completely. The Shellac lasts a good two weeks. I am super hard on my hands too. Im forever doing yard work, cleaning (hate gloves), all those things that destroy my nails and it lasts.

My sole complaint about Shellac is when oh when are they going to come out with more colors??! I've done all the colors I like, I've even layered them, but geez, they have SO FEW CHOICES! I wish more salons around here did Gelish, they have so many more colors to pick from!
I actually do my own shellac and when I am looking for a color that CND doesn't have, I will mix it with gelish (llike the neon green). I use the CND base coat and top coat and then I will us Gelish for the color. Never had a problem doing it this way. I like the sparkles better with Gelish so I like to do hot pop pink from CND and a sparkle from Gelish. I tried the OPI as well but it doesn't last as long for me.

I've had mine done a few times - and really enjoy them. I never used gel/artificial nails - always did my own until I discovered shellac!

Many nail salons will say "Yes, we have shellac" - but make sure it is the CND shellac - the first one I had (french manicure) the white tips were like strips on the tops of my nails. The second was the OPI version - I love OPI polish, but their version of Shellac was a nightmare to remove! I've had 2 CND Shellac manicures since then - they last 2-3 weeks. Be sure before you leave the salon that you don't have any bumps - places where the filing/buffing wasn't done completely - and that your cuticles have been pushed back/trimmed properly.

Did you know you can do it yourself at home? I've been using Sensationail for 2 months and love it. Their website is sensationalnel dot com. I actually have to cut my nails now because they get too long. I am very active so 2 wk polish only lasts me 1 wk. But it is still so worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter