Shades of Green

ZoZo

DIS Veteran
Has anyone stayed at Shades of Green lately? I have never stayed there, and wanted to get some feedback. How are the restaurants? Does the shuttle service (to the parks) work well? Any special tips you'd like to share? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

ZoZo said:
Has anyone stayed at Shades of Green lately? I have never stayed there, and wanted to get some feedback. How are the restaurants? Does the shuttle service (to the parks) work well? Any special tips you'd like to share? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you do a search for Shades of Green or SoG, you'll find a number of postings. :)

ZoZo said:

Hi

SOG is wonderful- there are lots of posts to go thru on the board- I was there in December with extended family- we had a wonderful time. As for restaurants....there is the Garden Gallery which has a regular menu and buffet options (we enjoyed the buffets), Evergreen's which is a sit down casual rest- not a favorite for us- food tended to be on the cold side and service was shaky. Although, many people have commented on it being great. Maybe we were there at a bad time! There is the Eagles Lounge- bar atmosphere- and Mangino's. Mangino's is an upscale Italian Rest. Never been, can't comment.

The busses were okay- we found they ran on time- we usually would walk over to the Poly to get the monorail and then take busses back. Keep a bus schedule with you so you know where to find the busses at the end of the day.

There are people that can help you with dining options and shows- just outside of the store. Very helpful and nice.

Check out the web site to get a feel- www.shadesofgreen.org

Have fun- we are hoping to go back in December!
Lisa

Welcome to the DIS Zo Zo. :wave: .
We were at the SOG in May and loved it. We also walked to the Poly and the TTC to ride the monorails. We took the bus back from DTD once and had no problems. We only ate breakfast one morning at the buffet and it was decent. The pool was very nice and the bartender at Evergreens makes a good top shelf margarita. You can't beat the prices at this Deluxe Resort. Feel free to ask any other questions. Some of us don't mind answering. :smooth:

Stitch Inside said:
Welcome to the DIS Zo Zo. :wave: .
We were at the SOG in May and loved it. We also walked to the Poly and the TTC to ride the monorails. We took the bus back from DTD once and had no problems. We only ate breakfast one morning at the buffet and it was decent. The pool was very nice and the bartender at Evergreens makes a good top shelf margarita. You can't beat the prices at this Deluxe Resort. Feel free to ask any other questions. Some of us don't mind answering. :smooth:

Thanks for the info! I had read through some of the other posts on SOG and wanted to get some specifics on the transportation situation (didn't find anything on the other posts I read that addressed this). Appreciate your helping out a "newbie" at SOG!

ZoZo

We also stayed this past May and it is by far my hotel of choice for bang for your buck. We did the rental car thing and valeted each day, but I never heard people complain about the shuttle service. We did see alot of people walking to the Poly and also hitching a ride on the Shady Shuttle to the properties edge. I guess if you have any specific questions, ask away!

Is the Shades of Green Resort considered a Disney Resort? Does it get the same benefits of Extra Magic Hours as Disney Resorts?

ZoZo said:

We were there in November. The restaurants are decent, the shuttle service is pretty outstanding with one glaring exception....getting to downtown disney. You can walk to the Poly (about 10 minutes away) and catch the monorail to the MK and that is actually easier than the bus because their bus takes you to TTC then you have to ride the monorail to the MK anyhow. We did use the bus at the end of the day when we were too tired to walk back from the Poly. The busses to downtown disney drop you off at the furthest end of the complex about a 10 minute walk to the west side area, and 30 minute walk to the marketplace. It was much easier to walk to the Poly and catch their bus to downtown disney which drops you off at the marketplace.

My tips:
Don't count on the bus schedules. They can and do change and they are not great about notifying you of changes. The schedules are posted daily in the Express Cafe that leads you out to the busses. Speaking of the express cafe, if you're going there for breakfast, count on a long line. Also, have a sandwhich from there, they have homemade Ciabatta bread to die for. They also make cannolis from scratch and they are AMAZING! It's run by a mother/daughter team and they are very helpful. The front desk staff can be grumpy, don't let that put you off, the rest of the staff is absolutely wonderful! The housekeepers are outstanding and the women at guest services are very helpful. If you were planning on getting silhouette portraits in the parks, they have a silhouette artist at SOG and it's cheaper. Plan to get to the bustop a little early it can get really packed and sometimes hard to get on a bus in the mornings especially. The transportation is great though, quick, efficient and almost always on time.

Have a great trip!

May I humbly suggest that Mangino's is the best Italian
restaurant on proberty! We have stand there a few times and it is always
nice. We like to be up high and on the golf course side, nice and quiet! :crazy: :earsgirl: :smooth: :bounce:

Disney_1derland said:
We were there in November. The restaurants are decent, the shuttle service is pretty outstanding with one glaring exception....getting to downtown disney. You can walk to the Poly (about 10 minutes away) and catch the monorail to the MK and that is actually easier than the bus because their bus takes you to TTC then you have to ride the monorail to the MK anyhow. We did use the bus at the end of the day when we were too tired to walk back from the Poly. The busses to downtown disney drop you off at the furthest end of the complex about a 10 minute walk to the west side area, and 30 minute walk to the marketplace. It was much easier to walk to the Poly and catch their bus to downtown disney which drops you off at the marketplace.

My tips:
Don't count on the bus schedules. They can and do change and they are not great about notifying you of changes. The schedules are posted daily in the Express Cafe that leads you out to the busses. Speaking of the express cafe, if you're going there for breakfast, count on a long line. Also, have a sandwhich from there, they have homemade Ciabatta bread to die for. They also make cannolis from scratch and they are AMAZING! It's run by a mother/daughter team and they are very helpful. The front desk staff can be grumpy, don't let that put you off, the rest of the staff is absolutely wonderful! The housekeepers are outstanding and the women at guest services are very helpful. If you were planning on getting silhouette portraits in the parks, they have a silhouette artist at SOG and it's cheaper. Plan to get to the bustop a little early it can get really packed and sometimes hard to get on a bus in the mornings especially. The transportation is great though, quick, efficient and almost always on time.

Have a great trip!

Thanks! This is just the type of information I was looking for. Appreciate the assistance!

ZoZo

just got back from SOG - loved it, do heed the tip that DTD buses are not good - only run evenings - drive if you can if you are going to DTD.
loved to walk to Poly and catch the boat to MK -, shady shuttle guy was great. the place is LARGE, but you have indoor hallways, so the walk is not bad, if you are planning on doing laundry, try to get a room near or at least in the same wing - we did not find the buses to be crowded, only about 3 times if that, we had no problems and do try the new ice cream parlor next to Evergreens.

We were there in January and find it a great place to stay. The rooms are huge and the pool near the hot tub was quite warm. We were in the old part so the walk wasn't too bad although we were at the very, very, very back of the hotel. Evergreens was just down the stairs and we found their food good. The breakfast sandwiches at the counter place were good, but the breakfast buffet at the restaurant was nasty! My mom and grandparents ate supper in the main restaurant (not Mangino's) one night and thought the food was quite good (my aunt and I went to Boma's).

As for the buses, they are contracted out (which is not how it was on our previous trip). At AK it is quite a hike to the bus and then the stupid thing is not marked. We drove to DTD and the minigolf, as well as to some of the parks because my grandparents have handicapped plates and that parking is usually pretty close.

Also, the roof of the parking deck is a great place to watch the MK fireworks.

We were there in January and June. We love it the room are large and fit our family of five just fine. We usually grab a quick breakfast at the express cafe in the morning. They have great muffins. We did try the breakfast buffet and did not care for it. We do like Evergreens. The food is just average but it is close to the games which makes the kids happy. Stay away from the pizza. YUCK.
We did not not have very good luck with the bus to DTD. We ended up getting off the bus and driving after sitting for quite a while on the bus. We have used the Shady Shuttle to get to the Poly a few times and that works out great. I have heard a couple people complain that the staff is not pleasant. I have not come a cross that as of yet. They have always been very helpful in getting us last minute ADR's. I think my biggest complaint would be that they always stick us in the last room at the end of the new section and we have a long walk to get anywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter