• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shades of Green

cardio75

Earning My Ears
Any experiences at Shades of Green, good or bad? What is it like compared to the other Disney resorts? Thanks!:wave:

Hi, I think you will get many responses to your post. You may want to search for Shades of Green. There are many threads available. One that I have written on was done around October 30th.

My DH and myself will NOT be staying there again. However, there any many people that are happy there. Perhaps we just got the odd card, but we will be staying at a Value of Moderate WDW resort using a discount code or AP code before we stay at SOG again. Sorry

Angel

I have stayed there a few times before the renovations and most recently this past May after the renovations. My entire family really enjoys staying at SOG and plan to do so again in a few weeks. I would compare SOG to a deluxe resort b/c of the room size and some of the amenities. What you won't find is that Disney atmosphere that many people mention when describing SOG. For us, that really doesn't bother us as we get plenty of atmosphere from the parks. The resort is beautiful and very reasonably priced (room prices depends upon rank).

The bus service is ok, but in all fairness we have only used the shuttle to go to the TTC. We use our car for everything else. The restaurants are fine and again, reasonably priced.

If you do a search on Shades of Green, I'm sure you will find many more comments concerning this resort.

All in all, we love it! :sunny:

Angel16 what didn't you like about SoG and did you go before or after the renovations?

I loved sog. We also own at BCV and when we don't stay there sog is our second choice. The rooms are a nice size and you don't have to share the buses with any other resort. As the other poster said it doesn't have a disney atmosphere, but it's none the less a great value for your money and a great place to stay.

We just got back from SOG. Spent 9 amazing nights there and LOVED it! We were in the new section on the top floor in connecting rooms close to the elevators. This was the perfect location for us, easy to get to everything in the resort, not much of a walk to the pools (which there have been many complaints about, we thought it was a nice stroll through beautiful grounds, no, it's not right there at your door, but it certainly isn't that much of a hike.)

The major complaints we've heard on this board over and over were totally not true for us.

The Housekeeping-the first day they missed us because our room was not coded as occupied. They immediately sent up 4 housekeepers at 8pm who cleaned the rooms thoroughly and were VERY pleasant. After that, our room was cleaned by noon every day and we had the most amazing housekeeper (Ivonne) who went above and beyond the call of duty and even did the *disney* touches people rave about so much (towel sculptures, creatively setting up dd's toys). And every time she did this my daughters were beside themselves with joy! One day she was still in the hall when we returned and heard the squealing and came to see what was going on and she was almost in tears seeing how happy she had made the girls! We called the management at the hotel to commend her and they came to check out her handiwork and called her in the next day, she thought she was in trouble because the GM called her in and instead they gave her high praise because she had made us so happy. She came and thanked us the next day because apparently they don't get much praise and she was so thankful that we took the time to recognize her. So, if you are lucky enough to get Ivonne as your housekeeper, you will be extremely happy!

The busses-
We LOVED the SOG busses! There is a schedule that they give you when you check in but you do need to check the posted schedule down in the express cafe hallway each day for changes. There are several busses, two of which actually say Shades of Green on them and a few that are all white and have nothing other than a sign in the front window. They always use the same pickup and drop off spaces at each park and are very easy to find. They were never behind schedule and the drivers were very pleasant.

The staff-
Okay, the front desk staff leaves a lot to be desired. They are a little grumpy but we got over it. If you talk nice and play nice, they will do the same in return. If you have any designs on getting a late checkout you need to know that you will have to pay for the priviledge. And you need to call at Midnight the day of your checkout to request it because they only give a limited number out each day and they go REALLY fast. They charge 1/2 a day for late check out regardless of how late. Normal checkout is 11am.

The staff in the Aafes store are always complaining about other people they work with. They seem to be generally unhappy people who are working at Shades against their will (many of them complained about being assigned to Shades rather than some Air Force base elsewhere in Florida) but they were pleasant to us, just got tired of hearing the complaining while we were shopping.

The women at Guest Services are wonderful and helpful and love for people to stop and talk to them.

The staff at the restaurants were all wonderful and very sweet to my children.

Have a wonderful time! We loved SOG and since we will only stay there when my father is with us, we will surely miss it on our next few trips!

I love the SOG. I stayed there in May and many times before it was renovated. I have stayed at most WDW resorts and the only think that I think can be improved is the pool. I would like to see a sliding board and waterfall. The rooms are huge. The only problem I had w/ the busses is going to PI at night time. It takes too long and I would rather take a cab for 10.00. I love being at a Disney world resort while having a golf course view.
I also think that their pool bar, Evergreens, is the best pool bar on Disney property for food and drinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter