• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shades of Green

Deannacooper93

Earning My Ears
Has anyone had experience with a shades of green wedding? That is my back up plan. I know it is a lot cheaper.

We have ours scheduled for 10/18 at SoG this year! The planning process has been super easy, and everyone is really friendly.

We are not doing a package, just doing everything a la cart.

I must ask, how did you do everything ala carte? I don't want to big of a deal, but still would like Disney. It's just so expensive. :/

What I find interesting about Shades of Green, is they can't seem to get their story straight. I have a wedding scheduled there on 12/14/14, but we are still looking into different options in the area. When I first contacted them in Jan, I was told we could rent the Gazebo. Now, however, they tell me you have to do a package. But then I still hear of people doing this. It is frustrating me and making me want to go elsewhere. I love the Gazebo but not sold on their ballrooms for the reception. I did see 2 weddings there a few weeks ago when I was their for a site visit, and the ceremony set ups looked gorgeous!

What I find interesting about Shades of Green, is they can't seem to get their story straight. I have a wedding scheduled there on 12/14/14, but we are still looking into different options in the area. When I first contacted them in Jan, I was told we could rent the Gazebo. Now, however, they tell me you have to do a package. But then I still hear of people doing this. It is frustrating me and making me want to go elsewhere. I love the Gazebo but not sold on their ballrooms for the reception. I did see 2 weddings there a few weeks ago when I was their for a site visit, and the ceremony set ups looked gorgeous!

I originally spoke with them in July of last year, and then went down in August to check out the property and book. In July, via e-mail, they told me that the Gazebo alone could be rented for $200. In August, in person, they told me that I had to purchase a package, and that they had just had a change in management and that this was their new policy... so I pulled out the e-mail they sent me (on my phone) and told them that I was prepared to walk if they could not honor this original plan.

So, they told me that they would do the gazebo for $300. I told them that this was unacceptable - that I had traveled from SC to come visit, and that I wanted them to honor the original offer. So they did.

The problem is that the wedding planning people work in the marketing department. They just want your money. You just need to be firm and stick to your guns. Pull out the e-mail, re-forward it to them, etc. They will likely honor it.

FWIW, we are just having the ceremony there, and then dinner at Mangino's, followed by a Fantasmic! dessert party.

Forgot to mention, in case you are interested! We are getting married 10/18/2014. I know that SoG is very hands off with their wedding, but I want laid back, so that is totally fine with me.

Also, ALL of our vendors gave great discounts just because we are at Shades. We aren't military (FFIL is), and were upfront with that information, but they all gave us discounts anyway because they always work with Shades couples :)

Forgot to mention, in case you are interested! We are getting married 10/18/2014. I know that SoG is very hands off with their wedding, but I want laid back, so that is totally fine with me.

Also, ALL of our vendors gave great discounts just because we are at Shades. We aren't military (FFIL is), and were upfront with that information, but they all gave us discounts anyway because they always work with Shades couples :)

Who are your vendors? Any experiences to share with them so far, like pricing or communication?

Dr. Tino is our officiant, and he and his wife are so nice and helpful.

Randy Chapman is incredible. When we heard about the deal with Beatue Speciale that he had going on, I called him and we upgraded to that package for no extra money. They have also had great communication.

That's really all we're using. I e-mailed or called everyone on the recommended vendors list over a year ago, so EVERYONE was available still, and everyone on the list offered discounts. Dr. Tino was not only the cheapest, but I really liked him (and like that he can wear academic robes), and I've been a fan of Randy since like 2008 when I first started coming around these boards :)

Thanks, that's good info. I am still looking for a photographer, and Randy is on my list.

Lurkyloo, the interviews were interesting, but I'm wondering if you will be interviewing any future SoG brides, who have planned weddings after the new packages were in place. I get the impression that they are paying a little more attention to wedding planning, versus just event planning, which should make a difference in the planning experience. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but that's the vibe I get. :goodvibes Anyone have any insight on that?

Also, what about the catering? Is the reception part of the package decent? I'm one of those people that thinks the food should be good at a reception. If I end up doing SoG (jury still out) I may have a reception elsewhere if I hear bad reviews about the food. I know the restaurants do not get raves, but not sure if the same kitchens or menus are used for receptions.

Dear Lilija,
First, thank you so much for thinking of Shades of Green! I work on the events team here at Shades of Green, specifically with detailing the Silver, Gold, and Platinum Weddings once your agreement is finalized.
You are correct that we are putting more emphasis on the service aspect of the planning, and I'm happy to help you any way that I can with any questions or concerns you have about this process.
As for the food (I know that my opinion is biased), I have worked here for 9 years now, and the food is better than ever! To make sure that you get the perfect meal for your wedding day we do tastings of the plated menus for confirmed events, and can certainly do substitutions or customization on the existing menus. It's your day, and we are here to make everything-from food to lighting-how you dream it to be!

Lurkyloo, the interviews were interesting, but I'm wondering if you will be interviewing any future SoG brides, who have planned weddings after the new packages were in place.

Definitely! Just waiting for them to actually have their weddings first! :thumbsup2

I am having my wedding at Shades of Green in a year from now. I literally just reserved my date ( sending contract today)
The first girl I spoke to was VERY helpful. Wish I could remember her name.. When my questions got a little more detailed she stopped me and said she wasn't comfortable answering those questions as she was still learning about all they had to offer. She said she would have someone more knowledgable call me back. That was fine with me. I, however, called right back because I had forgotten to ask what dates were available in June. At that time she put me right on the phone with Diedre who then was able to answer all of my questions that I had at the moment. She seemed very accommodating and forthright , and was very pleasant. I am doing the Silver package which is a great value and still puts me on Disney property for what I can afford. She was right up front with me letting me know that there will be construction around gazebo area starting in January and that if it isn't done by my date we would have the terrace on the patio. This is also fine with me. I have to say you have me a bit nervous about this talk of the food not being good. That is pretty big for me.

So, just an FYI. Diedra has received our deposit and immediately sent us paperwork with a lot of useful information and pictures with the dimensions of rooms tables gazebo chairs etc. Dates of when things are due are clearly provided, and of what they ,SoG, and you can expect. It is very informative and I of course am made to feel like I can call with any questions. So far, so good. We are both happy with things so far!!

Deidrakay,
Is SoG still offering just the gazebo for ceremonies or do you have to get a package? We have about 40-50 guests we want to invite but we want to do our reception at a restaurant.

Thank you! =)

I emailed SoG and Beate just emailed me back. I was curious about renting just the gazebo. She said they don't do that anymore.

"We are not able to just rent out any venues on our property. You would have to choose one of our Wedding packages.

We have 3 packages available for weddings with 31 or more attendees (including the bride and groom). I have attached detailed information regarding what is included in each package. There are some services that are not included in the package, such as the florist, photographer and DJ which allows you the opportunity to customize your wedding. All vendors must be chosen from our Approved Vendor List which is also attached. Please be aware decorations are not included with any package; however, you will have 2 hours prior to the wedding to come in and decorate or have a vendor decorate for you if you choose."

This is barely cheaper than a Swan and Dolphin wedding. So, that is a heads up to DeanaCooper93.

I emailed SoG and Beate just emailed me back. I was curious about renting just the gazebo. She said they don't do that anymore.

"We are not able to just rent out any venues on our property. You would have to choose one of our Wedding packages.

We have 3 packages available for weddings with 31 or more attendees (including the bride and groom). I have attached detailed information regarding what is included in each package. There are some services that are not included in the package, such as the florist, photographer and DJ which allows you the opportunity to customize your wedding. All vendors must be chosen from our Approved Vendor List which is also attached. Please be aware decorations are not included with any package; however, you will have 2 hours prior to the wedding to come in and decorate or have a vendor decorate for you if you choose."

This is barely cheaper than a Swan and Dolphin wedding. So, that is a heads up to DeanaCooper93.

Thank you for the heads up but I am booked for a DFTW already haha i decided it is all or nothing. =)

I am very close to making that same decision. I am about 90% of the way there, in fact. I just need to compare the price of a DTFW with brunch reception that way I would want it (elegant, formal) with a dinner package at SoG and I'll know for sure. I'm also waiting for a callback from DFTW on whether my venue is available at our chosen date & time. We're having a DP either way, so I need to examine logistical aspects around guest transportation as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter