Shades of Green? I had planned on Windsor Hills...

TnTWalter

DIS Veteran
but mom and dad might join us and he's retired military and wondered about staying here. I've been researching but just not sure about SOG. Anyone been recently and can compare to other resorts.

Thanks so much.

Trish

There's a whole thread on SOG, but my "quick synopsis" is:

Pro's
Price -- can't beat it. Very affordable! Price is the same for you all the time -- it doesn't vary like Disney's "value season" and "peak season," etc.
Location -- Magic Kingdom Deluxe Resort location
Room size -- Deluxe (or bigger) room size -- easily sleeps 5 people per room
Discount ticket prices
Can use Extra Magic Hours, just like staying at a Disney resort
Fellow guests -- the military community camaraderie makes this a very nice place to say -- relaxing, people behaving nicely for the most part
Can use SOG buses, but can also walk to Poly or TTC and use monorail, Disney buses/boats.
Can get stuff at the store or use restaurants at SOG for less than Disney prices.

Con's
Not a lot of Disney themed stuff in the resort compared to Disney resorts
Can't use Disney's Magical Express, so you have to get your own transportation to SOG
Can't get packages delivered to SOG from the parks (far as I know), but you can have a package sent to the gate and pick it up when you leave that park, like people staying offsite do.
Can't use Disney's Dining Plans.

Hope this helps!

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Thank you so much. I made it through about 10 pages of the 2000 post thread...but couldn't do it.

Based on his rank it would be $120 a night which is great and my family of 5 would be ok in one room.

That plus his tix being free and the $99 companion tickets and he might be swayed to go with us...

It would be more than WH and we'd be in one bedroom but that's ok.

I just didn't know if it felt 'disney'...and the WH pool looks great. Plus we were planning on cooking some meals and that would be out...still weighing it out.

Thanks so much!:flower3:

Can't get packages delivered to SOG from the parks (far as I know), but you can have a package sent to the gate and pick it up when you leave that park...

Yes, you can have your in-park purchases delivered to SoG -- you just can't charge those purchases to your room (since SoG is not Disney-owned/operated).

They have 2 pools I think- one is shaped like a Mickey head. They do have a hot tub (one of my pluses) and also have a kiddy pool I believe.

Another plus is their breakfast buffet. The Garden Gallery has a $7-9 (adult price) all you can eat buffet- I forget the exact price. I believe the price includes juice and coffee- my DH always orders a soda so we have to pay for that. They have made to order omelets, fruit, breads, make your own waffles, sausage, bacon, potatoes, scrambled eggs, and bisquits and gravy.

We love to have breakfast there and then not need to eat a heavy lunch.

They also have an all you can eat supper buffet- price varies based on the menu (set by day of the week) but the most expensive is $16.99 on Friday nights for the Fish buffet.

Rebecca

SOG is a beautiful resort and you can't beat the price. We stayed their in May and the rooms were huge. The transportation was very efficient and the walk to the Poly wasn't bad.

OK my dad likes to golf and I may be able to sway him....how much is it to golf?

Also we'll have our car is it free to park at the parks just like other onsites. I read that it's $5 to pay to park at SOG.

We'd like to be by the mickey mouse pool. Is that mill pond so i could request it? Are the rooms updated in that section? Or is there a recommended location/building to request? Thanks.

We're bringing our dog and will kennel him while at WDW [heading to Anna Maria after], will I get the onsite discount?

The breakfast buffet sounds like a FANTASTIC deal and will help with the budget buster there...but I can't find information on it. Do you book it along with your reservation?

I'm not sure if we'll end up ahead....we were going to stay offsite at WH for <$500; but when I read about the tix for military and companions I emailed Dad.

They have gone with us on both our other trips but said they were DONE WITH DISNEY for awhile [they've gone many years with my much older niece and now my family].

But they're not interested in sharing our condo for some reason even though they wouldn't have to pay.

Trish

OK my dad likes to golf and I may be able to sway him....how much is it to golf?
it varies depending on when you are going and what tee time he would want- there is a discount for the military at the Palm and Magnolia courses (on the hotel property and out your window)

Also we'll have our car is it free to park at the parks just like other onsites.
self parking is $5 a night and valet is $10 a night that is a per car price- you do not pay for parking if you drive to the parks though

We're bringing our dog and will kennel him while at WDW [heading to Anna Maria after], will I get the onsite discount?Yes, I always do- also it is convient iof you want to visit before or after Epcot or MK since you take the bus to the TTC right beside the Kennel before hitting the monorails. We love the MK kennel- it is our puppy's favorite although the others are fine too. It is $18 a night for onsite.

The breakfast buffet sounds like a FANTASTIC deal and will help with the budget buster there...

I'm not sure if we'll end up ahead....we were going to stay offsite at WH for <$500; but when I read about the tix for military and companions I emailed Dad.

They have gone with us on both our other trips but said they were DONE WITH DISNEY for awhile [they've gone many years with my much older niece and now my family].

But they're not interested in sharing our condo for some reason even though they wouldn't have to pay.

Trish

Hope that answers your questions. I highly reccomend the resort- we love it! It is my DH's favorite place to stay- partly because it is not quite as disnefied as the other resorts but do take a picture with the Patriotic Mickey while you are there. They do have photo people at the resort (seperate from Photopass stuff) that do photos and have deals- they are less than Disney although I still feel they are a little expensive.

Con's
Not a lot of Disney themed stuff in the resort compared to Disney resorts

It confuses me when people say SOG lacks Disney theming. SOG used to be a Disney resort. ::yes:: Until a few years ago, the resort was unchanged from how it originally looked when Disney built it. My definition of theming is atmosphere. Disney intended for (what is now SOG) to feel more like a country club. A place for the golfers to hang out. WL is made to feel like being in a cabin in the wilderness. Poly wants you to feel like you are in the tropics. Since the military renovated, I can see a bit of Poly in the landscaping, WL in the lobby, and the outside sort of resembles AKL.

Is Disney theming the Mickey soaps in the bathroom and the word Disney written on the buses? I can still use the Disney buses and can probably go on Ebay and supply my own Mickey soap/shampoos to have a much cheaper stay at SOG.

From the SOG website......
Q:
What is the military golf rate?

A:
Currently, the rate is $55 plus tax and includes your cart rental. Tee times must be after 10 am.

The breakfast buffet sounds like a FANTASTIC deal and will help with the budget buster there...but I can't find information on it. Do you book it along with your reservation?

It is the same buffet every morning. Has the basics. It is not something you have to "book" with a reservation. You just walk into the restaurant, eat and then pay. No reservations needed. However, for convenience they do have a "Sunrise" package that is basically the regular cost of the hotel room and the regular cost of the daily breakfast buffet included in the total package price. You also get a $25 gift certificate for one of the "less popular" gift shops.

Pro: The package really is just for those who want to be saved the hassle of pulling out cash every morning. Con: If you decide that the buffet is not your thing and decide not to eat there most mornings, you are still stuck paying for it. Also, you have paid the full price for that gift certificate value at the gift shop and there is no guarantee you will find something there you really want. I hesitate to prepay $25 for a gift certificate not knowing if I can find something I want. It would be like potentially flushing money down the toilet.

If they are really not too interested in total Disney submersion, SOG would be perfect. It is a quiet resort with plenty of places on the grounds to be alone.

Maybe they don't want to share a condo with you all, because they like personal space. Nothing offensive meant. Just that vacations can create too much "togetherness" and sharing living quarters can be difficult because they might want to be alone, yet be in the livingroom. If everyone is in the livingroom, maybe they would want to create that alone time by going to the bedroom, but then they have hurt everyone's feelings because they are acting like they don't want to be social. Understand? SOG would give them the ability to have their own space. Also, SOG would give them the ability to split off from the group. If you are in a condo, you all have to travel in the same car. This means everyone has to be on the same schedule. Maybe your parents hesitate to be on your schedule. :confused3 We are taking my parents this summer. We chose onsite SOG because they will have their own room (we stay away from family suites....it is same as sharing a condo), and they can come and go on SOG and Disney transportation when they feel like it. It keeps everyone happy. I have done the "too much togetherness" vacations before with family and with friends. It does not always work out even with best of intentions.

The rooms are HUGE. Two queens, plus a couch (I think fold out..didn't try it) and a table and chairs. Huge bathroom. I think the visitors...coming from a Military background...are quieter, or at least more controlled. And the buses leave EXACTLY on time (what would you expect, though? :) )

Purchases there are tax free. That's basically what the standard discount on the tickets amounts to, but it's about $50 savings on two adult and two child tickets. The deal they have now is better. But, also, my MIL said she received something in the email a couple of weeks ago that was 20 or 25% off room rates.

Room service is horrible. Sorry. That's the worst part.

Great gift shop. And there is a Starbucks right outside of it. Good ice cream shop, too.

There is a little playground area out by the big pool.

The only reason we're staying onsite instead of there is we're getting a better deal with the 4/3 offer and can use the meal plan...and, well, second reason, change of scenery.

Thanks so much.

Yes they definitely want their 'own space'. At Anna Maria we booked houses next door to each other...Their's is a one bedroom romantic lil place and ours is a small 2 bedroom with a pool and fenced yard. We're together but not. :thumbsup2

We usually get rooms side by side and it's perfect. They typically spend much of the day with us and sneak off to Epcot to enjoy drinks when they've had enough. LOL.

Now question...

1) If you were ME would you stay at SOG or the 3 bedroom at Windsor Hills.

Windsor Hills is cheaper but we'd have to pay to park $15 per day and pay offsite kennel fees.

It's probably easier staying with mom and dad because we do like to spend time together...but we'll be together the whole next week. ;) Don't want overkill. LOL.

It would be nice to have the maid service and not to have to cook because we'll be doing that the following week at AMI. But it will cost a little more.

2) If we buy the park tix there we don't have tax right, so the 5 day would be $99 total or $124 if add the $25 for park hopper/water. Right?

3) We will have to buy 1 ticket full price because we're 5 + mom companion tickets. Is it cheaper to go through undercover or buy at SOG? Thanks.

THANKS. I'm leaning towards SOG now especially being able to walk to Poly and TTC.

And it's probably a once in a lifetime stay there...as my dad might really be done after this trip. LOL.

Trish:flower3:

Hmmm....

can I ask an unrelated to SOG question....

I saw on mouseavers that Military also gets 40% off moderate resorts.....which got me thinking....I've always wanted to stay at CSR [the pool] but with family of 5, hasn't worked. We could put one of our kids with mom and dad....

this is the question...
can dad book the dining plan and still get the discounted tix and room? has anyone done this? thanks.

i've sent him all the info but i know he was hoping for the dining plan.

thanks so much. lots to chew on...

Trsih

Hmmm....

I saw on mouseavers that Military also gets 40% off moderate resorts.....which got me thinking....I've always wanted to stay at CSR [the pool] but with family of 5, hasn't worked. We could put one of our kids with mom and dad....

this is the question...
can dad book the dining plan and still get the discounted tix and room? has anyone done this? thanks.

Trsih

The 40% off rack rate is for all levels of resorts.....even deluxe. Many here have done this, added dining plan, and bought the military companion tickets. Give it a shot.

It confuses me when people say SOG lacks Disney theming. SOG used to be a Disney resort. ::yes:: Until a few years ago, the resort was unchanged from how it originally looked when Disney built it. My definition of theming is atmosphere. Disney intended for (what is now SOG) to feel more like a country club. A place for the golfers to hang out. WL is made to feel like being in a cabin in the wilderness. Poly wants you to feel like you are in the tropics. Since the military renovated, I can see a bit of Poly in the landscaping, WL in the lobby, and the outside sort of resembles AKL.

Is Disney theming the Mickey soaps in the bathroom and the word Disney written on the buses? I can still use the Disney buses and can probably go on Ebay and supply my own Mickey soap/shampoos to have a much cheaper stay at SOG.

I know it used to be a Disney resort. But unlike the Poly, Contemporary and Grand Floridian (the other deluxe resorts near SOG), the staff does not say "have a magical day." Mickey Mouse does not give you a wake-up call. When I say "Disney theming," I also mean not only the physical layout of having Disney film prints or Walt and his wife pics on the walls, etc., but the "feel" of the place. And SOG "feels" like a military community, which it is, and I like that about it. It does not, however, "feel" like the Beach Club, or the Poly (the two resorts I've stayed at in addition to SOG). Of course, the Beach Club does not "feel" like the Poly, either. They each have their own atmospheres, but the staff at the deluxe resorts seem to buy into the Disney magic far more than do the practical, military-minded folks at the SOG. Nothing wrong with either way -- I'm simply stating that anyone who has stayed at SOG and also a Disney resort can likely feel the difference. If you want the Mickey Mouse wake-up call, and the staff to be "Cast Members" wearing Mickey-ear nametags, and characters in the dining rooms (all of the deluxe resorts in the MK area have character meals), and sometimes characters just walking around, then consider staying at a Disney resort. If you want a relaxing, lovely, roomy, quieter resort that's affordable and yet still has "deluxe" standards, then consider SOG.

Again, I love SOG. We just stayed there in December 2007 as I celebrated my college graduation (27 years after my high school one -- LOL!) and we had dinner at Victoria and Albert's. It is an easy walk to the Poly to use the monorail and over the Christmas season, far less expensive than any deluxe resort.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Yes, you can have your in-park purchases delivered to SoG -- you just can't charge those purchases to your room (since SoG is not Disney-owned/operated).

Ah -- good to know! Thanks for the info! :)

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Hmmm....

this is the question...

Trsih

YES!!! We got the 40% off and are staying at the Boardwalk! You can't upgrade do the deluxe dining, but you can do the basic dining plan, get the 40% off the resort, and buy your discounted tickets through ITT/SOG. We went through Magical Vacations and they helped us out with everything! Even though you can't upgrade the dining plan, the money you save with the 40% discount makes up for it. Hope that helps!

P.S. I LOVE Shades of Green. If you don't use the 40% Disney resort deal, try to stay at SOG! My kids were suprised we weren't staying there our next trip (last minute decision, and they are booked since it's spring break. LOL!) but hopefully we'll get back there in the following trips to come. :wave2:

So is the 40% discount on all rooms at all Disney resorts? Are there only so many per resort? Also is the SOG 40% off what is listed on their website or is that their discounted rate? Also, someone mentioned they got a certain price based on their military rank - do you get a bigger discount if you have a higher rank?

My brother is in the military so my understanding is that he would have to be with us to get the military discount on rooms and tickets. Is that correct?

So is the 40% discount on all rooms at all Disney resorts? Are there only so many per resort? Also is the SOG 40% off what is listed on their website or is that their discounted rate? Also, someone mentioned they got a certain price based on their military rank - do you get a bigger discount if you have a higher rank?

My brother is in the military so my understanding is that he would have to be with us to get the military discount on rooms and tickets. Is that correct?

I'm not sure about the discount for Shades of Green, as far as I know only DISNEY is offering the 40% discount.

As far as rank, the higher the rank the lower the discount, my husband is an Officer so we pay higher prices for everything, even on base for balls, luncheons, etc.

And YES your brother would have to be there with you staying at the resort in order for you to get the discounts SOG offers. He would have to be with you if you wanted to purchase something at the gift shops as well, since they ask for military ID. ;)

Thanks. I'm leaving it up to mom and dad since we've forced this trip upon them....:rotfl2:

The funny part is we'll probably end up spending more than we would have without them getting us the tix because they really want the dining plan and it's expensive for us with 1 child that's now 10.

I'm now trying to figure out how we can stay at WDW and still have cooler/fridge for brekkie and subs, etc. for some meals; several CS meals; and 2 nice meals.

Crunching numbers...

:grouphug: I so appreciate the help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter