SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

It's been a couple years for us, but we've never been asked for an ID when walking. We've also been given something like a coupon for the free breakfast. We also use a town car service but our favorite closed so we need to find another. I wasn't a fan of the last one we used, thry promised a SUV and they showed up with a big old van.
We bought the magic bands and really liked them.
We were there close to Christmas and even then they were having special events. Twice in one week they had free cookies, hot chocolate or other beverages and live music.

We're staying at SOG for the first time in probably 20 years at the beginning of December. I am so grateful for the activity on this thread and to hear that they do special things around Christmas! I don't know if anybody who is looking for transportation has a chase credit card but they are offering chase members a free 50 vouchers toward uber! Friends of ours are planning on taking advanctage of that and we're planning to use it to go from SOG to universal.

I'm leery about the holiday hours being so much shorter than what we are used to but hopeful that the magic will overtake the worries and we'll just have a fantastic time :)

If we want to rope drop magic kingdom this coming Friday for magic hours with open at 8 am, how do we get there from sog? Walk to poly and get monorail?

We will be staying at SOG for the first time in January. We are staying for Salute to Veterans, as my DH did not make the full 20 years to retire. My question is, does anyone know if we can buy alcohol without a military ID if we are staying at SOG? The only military ID my husband has is his VA disability ID. Its just the two of us this vacation so we may wish to partake in a beverage while relaxing. Thanks!

The SOG buses leave a half hour before MK opens even when there are EMH. So if MK opens at 8, the bus will leave SOG at 7:30.

We spent a total of 24 days at SOG in 2015 and were there for a week in April and a week in May this year. There was ONE day the bus wasn't there for EMH. Disney changed the schedule literally one week before. We walked to the Poly, but the monorail didn't start till 7:30. If I had it to do over, I would have walked to the Ticket and Transportation Center since it is right next door to the Poly.

You can buy a drink in Evergreens or Manginos without a military ID. We need to buy alcohol for our adult children in the Exchange because they do not have military IDs.

You can buy drinks at Evergreens and take them out by the pool.

First time staying at SOG, so I apologize for the stupid question. I keep reading about walking to the Poly, and I guess it's hard to visualize because I've never been there, but when I look at the map it seems quite far! Do you take Magnolia Palm Dr or is there a different way? I'm trying to plan so that on our first night there maybe we can walk to the Poly to have dinner and watch fireworks from the beach area.

I don't have a map in front of me, so I don't know street names. The walk is no more than 10 minutes.

The Poly is on a corner lot. There is a street that passes in front of the poly. The ticket and transportation Center is on the same street. On the side of the Poly is another street that continues up to the Grand Floridian. The driveway to SOG is right across that side street from the Poly.

When you first arrive at SOG, you turn off that side street and continue up a long driveway that leads to SOG and the Palm and Magnolia golf courses. To get to the Poly, you walk back down that driveway (or take the Shady Shuttle). When you reach the end of the driveway you can see a walkway that winds through the bamboo across the street. There is a sidewalk there, so you really can't miss it. After you pass through the bamboo you will see the Poly's rooms. Just follow the path to get to the lobby. I think the distance from the bamboo to the lobby is slightly shorter than the distance from SOG to the side street.

I hope this helps. Although I don't currently have a map, the ones I've seen in the past aren't really drawn to scale.

I don't have a map in front of me, so I don't know street names. The walk is no more than 10 minutes.

The Poly is on a corner lot. There is a street that passes in front of the poly. The ticket and transportation Center is on the same street. On the side of the Poly is another street that continues up to the Grand Floridian. The driveway to SOG is right across that side street from the Poly.

When you first arrive at SOG, you turn off that side street and continue up a long driveway that leads to SOG and the Palm and Magnolia golf courses. To get to the Poly, you walk back down that driveway (or take the Shady Shuttle). When you reach the end of the driveway you can see a walkway that winds through the bamboo across the street. There is a sidewalk there, so you really can't miss it. After you pass through the bamboo you will see the Poly's rooms. Just follow the path to get to the lobby. I think the distance from the bamboo to the lobby is slightly shorter than the distance from SOG to the side street.

I hope this helps. Although I don't currently have a map, the ones I've seen in the past aren't really drawn to scale.

Thank you! If I take the SOG shuttle, where would it drop me off?

It's the shady shuttle. It's upstairs (the buses are downstairs....this will make sense when you get there). It's a golf cart and will take you to the end of the driveway.

We usually just walk.

We're staying at SOG for the first time in probably 20 years at the beginning of December. I am so grateful for the activity on this thread and to hear that they do special things around Christmas! I don't know if anybody who is looking for transportation has a chase credit card but they are offering chase members a free 50 vouchers toward uber! Friends of ours are planning on taking advanctage of that and we're planning to use it to go from SOG to universal.

I'm leery about the holiday hours being so much shorter than what we are used to but hopeful that the magic will overtake the worries and we'll just have a fantastic time :)

Sorry to have to post disappointing news, but SoG does not allow Uber on to their property at all... It's a security thing - they will turn them right around at the guard shack and require that they leave the property. So, if you are planning to use Uber - you will have to find a different location, other than SoG, for pick up. I just don't want you to find out the hard way.

First time staying at SOG, so I apologize for the stupid question. I keep reading about walking to the Poly, and I guess it's hard to visualize because I've never been there, but when I look at the map it seems quite far! Do you take Magnolia Palm Dr or is there a different way? I'm trying to plan so that on our first night there maybe we can walk to the Poly to have dinner and watch fireworks from the beach area.

You can go right to bell services and ask for a ride in the Shady Shuttle - it is customary to tip the drivers - they will bring you to the end of SoG property. Sometimes, you have to wait for them to take you in the shuttle, I've waited as much as 10 minutes, when it would have been quicker to walk - but it's so much easier on the feet to take the shuttle. Once they drop you at the end of the property - it's about a 3 min walk (or less) to the Poly grand ceremonial house. :)

D~

Sorry to have to post disappointing news, but SoG does not allow Uber on to their property at all... It's a security thing - they will turn them right around at the guard shack and require that they leave the property. So, if you are planning to use Uber - you will have to find a different location, other than SoG, for pick up. I just don't want you to find out the hard way.

You can go right to bell services and ask for a ride in the Shady Shuttle - it is customary to tip the drivers - they will bring you to the end of SoG property. Sometimes, you have to wait for them to take you in the shuttle, I've waited as much as 10 minutes, when it would have been quicker to walk - but it's so much easier on the feet to take the shuttle. Once they drop you at the end of the property - it's about a 3 min walk (or less) to the Poly grand ceremonial house. :)

D~
Thank you for that info! I had no idea UBER is not allowed on property!

D~

Thanks for the heads up! Do you know if Uber is allowed at the Poly? We'll have our vehicle so it isn't much of an issue for us. Does the Shady Shuttle take you back from the shack to the lobby? I am glad to hear that it is a real thing and not just something that they have going sporadically.

The Shady Shuttle takes you from the lobby to the end of the driveway. Half way up the driveway is the guard shack. All vehicles entering the property are stopped and a guard comes out. The guards don't stop the shuttle and they don't stop you on the way out.

Twice we needed to book a taxi to take us from the Poly to the airport. Both times were on a February morning when the Princess Half Marathon was scheduled. The route was on the main road that passes by SOG, so the road was closed to traffic. The Shady Shuttle was helping guest take there luggage to the end of the driveway. Then the fun part.....trying to cross the road while dragging suitcases and weaving between groups of runners. We had no problem with the taxi picking us up in front of the Poly. I don't know anything about Uber, but I suspect the problem was they can't get past the guards at SOG, and there is no guard shack at the Poly.

Thanks for the heads up! Do you know if Uber is allowed at the Poly? We'll have our vehicle so it isn't much of an issue for us. Does the Shady Shuttle take you back from the shack to the lobby? I am glad to hear that it is a real thing and not just something that they have going sporadically.

The Shady Shuttle takes you from the lobby to the end of the driveway. Half way up the driveway is the guard shack. All vehicles entering the property are stopped and a guard comes out. The guards don't stop the shuttle and they don't stop you on the way out.

Twice we needed to book a taxi to take us from the Poly to the airport. Both times were on a February morning when the Princess Half Marathon was scheduled. The route was on the main road that passes by SOG, so the road was closed to traffic. The Shady Shuttle was helping guest take there luggage to the end of the driveway. Then the fun part.....trying to cross the road while dragging suitcases and weaving between groups of runners. We had no problem with the taxi picking us up in front of the Poly. I don't know anything about Uber, but I suspect the problem was they can't get past the guards at SOG, and there is no guard shack at the Poly.

I believe that Uber is allowed on Disney resort property. My understanding with Uber is that *anyone* can be an Uber driver, and since the SoG is a DoD/Government property, it is run as such... Similar to any military base. Uber drivers do not have to go through any security checks to become an Uber driver, so they are not allowed on resort property. The only reason I know this, is that I have several friends who live near Orlando - one of them was coming to pick my dd and I up from SoG to spend the day with us - and the guard was giving this person a hard time and accusing this person of being an Uber driver - until this person was able to give the guard my name and room number (which my friend had to call me from the guard shack to obtain), the guard was going to turn my friend around at the gate.

I completely understand and respect keeping SoG a safe place for us to stay - I *get* it... However, there were several times, over the course of my trip, where I felt as if I was a child under supervision... If I am an adult, with a military ID and a valid reservation, I should be able to come and go from the resort as I please, without question. Maybe it's because I am a *spouse* - and I don't fully get the military guard shack mentality? Maybe if I was living on a base, or had ever lived on a base, this would not bother me at all? Since I've never had that experience - it was annoying. Did it deter me from enjoying my trip? No. Would it keep me from staying there again? No. It just rubbed me the wrong way sometimes... And to have my friends hassled for going out of their way to spend the day with my family and I - I was definitely annoyed by that.

So, no... No Uber drivers... And no one suspected of being an Uber driver will be allowed on property. I think that Disney properties are OK? So if you were picked up at the Poly instead... :scratchin Although - that might be a better question for in the Poly thread, they would know there. :)

D~

Speaking of security at SOG......my grandchildren have spent at least a week each year since they were born at SOG.
About 3 or 4 years ago SOG changed their security protocol concerning the buses to the park. My grandson was either 15 or 16 at the time. He was returning from the parks alone and he didn't have ID or the green guest ID card and the bus driver wouldn't let him on the bus. Luckily this occurred at the Ticket and Transportation Center and he was able to walk back.

If this is your first time staying at SOG, make sure you take your green guest ID card with you when you get on the bus, along with a picture or military ID. Only one person in your party has to show ID when boarding the bus.

I completely understand and respect keeping SoG a safe place for us to stay - I *get* it... However, there were several times, over the course of my trip, where I felt as if I was a child under supervision... If I am an adult, with a military ID and a valid reservation, I should be able to come and go from the resort as I please, without question. Maybe it's because I am a *spouse* - and I don't fully get the military guard shack mentality? Maybe if I was living on a base, or had ever lived on a base, this would not bother me at all? Since I've never had that experience - it was annoying. Did it deter me from enjoying my trip? No. Would it keep me from staying there again? No. It just rubbed me the wrong way sometimes... And to have my friends hassled for going out of their way to spend the day with my family and I - I was definitely annoyed by that.
D~

We have always been able to come and go as we please at SOG with a military ID. Besides your friend without a military ID, how did you feel your movement was restricted at SOG?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter