Shade of Green update

SeaShelley

<font color=green>Calgon take me away.......prefer
...anyone have one? I keep looking at the pictures on the site and am a little concerned. Last I knew, they had postponed the opening (again) to March 2004. My family and I have plans to stay there next October.

My folks had reservations for February 2004 and were informed of the delay.

Anyone here "in the know"? Are they still on track or do you see another delay in the works?

Thanks!

I spoke with a friend of mine who is 'in the know' , and she told me that SoG would open in March.

She said that even if EVERYTHING is not quite finished (landscaping, etc) they'd open.

I hope that this helps.......

The pictures on the SOG site doesn't look like it's been updated since the Summer time. I'm hoping that is true or they have alotof work to get done by March 2004. We are going with friend and we have ressies for SOG starting March 4th so I hope they are open by the then.

A former post indicated that SOG had to be open in March because Disney would no longer set aside rooms in the Contemporary (or elsewhere) after that time.

Originally posted by SeaShelley
...anyone have one? I keep looking at the pictures on the site and am a little concerned. Last I knew, they had postponed the opening (again) to March 2004. My family and I have plans to stay there next October.

My folks had reservations for February 2004 and were informed of the delay.

Anyone here "in the know"? Are they still on track or do you see another delay in the works?

Thanks!

I've heard nothing more on the newest proposed (Mar 04) opening. I can tell you that Dad, who is down visiting, went to SoG to go to that dumb golf event they have there each year. Not realizing it's no longer free in the early days, he got back on the bus to go back to the parking lot, but he did mention that the front of the building is still nothing more than a shell. However, he said that it looks like it will be "beautiful" (his word, not mine) once they get it finished.

Thank you all for the replies. My folks are going to swing by when they are down there in February to check it out. As I said before we are going down in October.....for the dumb golf tournament.;)

Originally posted by FirstNo
I've heard nothing more on the newest proposed (Mar 04) opening. I can tell you that Dad, who is down visiting, went to SoG to go to that dumb golf event they have there each year. Not realizing it's no longer free in the early days, he got back on the bus to go back to the parking lot, but he did mention that the front of the building is still nothing more than a shell. However, he said that it looks like it will be "beautiful" (his word, not mine) once they get it finished.

I played golf at the Palm course on Oct 3rd. Here are my impressions of SOG progress (SOG sits between the Palm and Magnolia course):

• They have tons of work to do if they are going to open March of '04. Whole parts are nothing but a shell.
  • The place is an utter mess. Reflects bad on Disney, on SOG, and on the golf courses and tournaments. SOG could learn a lot from how Disney does work on their resorts.
  • If the current shell is any gauge, SOG is not going to be "beautiful". In fact, unlike the old version, it totally overpowers it's surroundings. VERY un-Disneylike, IMO, unless you think the Contemporary is "beautiful".
  • I have no idea where these people are going to hang out, the new expansion is taking over what open space SOG already had. Golf course are dangerous places to be, esp. if you aren't paying attention.
  • In general, it's ruining the atmosphere of that part of the Palm course.

BTW, some of us like the "dumb golf event". :)

Originally posted by Grumpy37
I played golf at the Palm course on Oct 3rd. Here are my impressions of SOG progress (SOG sits between the Palm and Magnolia course):

• They have tons of work to do if they are going to open March of '04. Whole parts are nothing but a shell.
  • The place is an utter mess. Reflects bad on Disney, on SOG, and on the golf courses and tournaments. SOG could learn a lot from how Disney does work on their resorts.
  • If the current shell is any gauge, SOG is not going to be "beautiful". In fact, unlike the old version, it totally overpowers it's surroundings. VERY un-Disneylike, IMO, unless you think the Contemporary is "beautiful".
  • I have no idea where these people are going to hang out, the new expansion is taking over what open space SOG already had. Golf course are dangerous places to be, esp. if you aren't paying attention.
  • In general, it's ruining the atmosphere of that part of the Palm course.

BTW, some of us like the "dumb golf event". :)

A few notes on my part:
SoG is not Disney. It is neither owned, nor operated, by Disney. That would probably be at least part of the reason why it does not have a Disney-feel (and the ugly eye-sores of the Dolphin and Swan scream Disney? I don't think so!). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have not been back there since I had to drop off my uniforms so, I can't give my impressions of the hotel. I can tell you that Disney had major input, if not the final word, on how the hotel could look. If they think it's Disney-enuf, then it must be okey-dokey with them (but seeing the huge decline in Disney over the past decade, I realize that doesn't say much <g>).

As I've mentioned dozens of times before, I won't be surprised if things are not ready, but I'm fairly certain they'll open. From my source, they have no choice this time. I don't know what construction company they've gone with, but it looks like they picked up the slowest group they could.

As for that dumb golf tournament, every one is entitled to their opinions. No doubt there are lots of people out there who enjoy it. However, you didn't have to work that PITA event through SoG. Snotty and snooty people wandering about. Having to park over in the MK parking lot and be bussed over like the masses (hhheeelllooo....we work there!) and NOT get paid any over time for having to come in early and get out late due to said dumb tournament. Being forced, yes forced, to work one of those vending areas when I'd actually rather be working and answering email or phones. Golf is one of the most boring sports known to man (curling is more exciting) and I have no doubt that the crap Disney put us through for their tournament did nothing to endear the sport to me. :)

SoG is not Disney. It is neither owned, nor operated, by Disney.

It was my understanding that SoG has been "leased" from Disney for 100 years. What input Disney has into the new structure is unknown, but I hope they had some. It would be a shame that cost has compromised atmosphere.

The following is a lot of speculation and opinion, so anyone who has the "facts" please let me know:

Being in the military for a number of years, I have seen personally how giving the contract to the lowest bidder can effect quality and progress - it happens all the time in the quest to save the tax payer money but often costs more in overruns.

I suspect the SoG is not paid for by the taxpayer but is self-supporting much like our commissary system (military grocery stores) is. Any overruns are likely to be passed onto the consumer - the future SoG visitors - so maybe that is why the cost of a room has increased so much.

I for one, like to go to WDW and stay at a themed resort - it adds so much to the stay for me. I will not be staying at the SoG if it lacks atmosphere but, then again, I can afford to stay at the other places. I hope it offers something nice for our young soldiers, airman, and sailor families for whom this may be their once in a lifetime vacation to Disney. In the event that it does not open in March and there is no Plan B, I hope these same families are not left hanging with no place to stay. Now, that would be a shame. :(

Originally posted by DIZZNY
It was my understanding that SoG has been "leased" from Disney for 100 years.

At one point the resort was leased to DoD. It was then purchased wholly by DoD, (I believe this happened around 97' or 98').

Originally posted by DIZZNY
I suspect the SoG is not paid for by the taxpayer but is self-supporting much like our commissary system (military grocery stores) is. Any overruns are likely to be passed onto the consumer - the future SoG visitors -.....B]

Correct...Totally self-supporting. NO taxpayer dollars.

I stayed at SoG before it was SoG, when it was the Disney Inn. AND after it became SoG. It's a deluxe resort and has the largest rooms on property.

Bus service is excellent. It's on a time schedule, you know exactly when the bus will arrive, no standing around wondering when it will be there. The buses are also FULL SIZE tour buses. Padded seats, very comfortable.

If eligible, I highly recommend taking advantage of SoG!!!

The Shades is part of the military support services network. They have 3 others: the Hale Koa Hotel on Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, Hawaii; the Dragon Hill Lodge in the Yongsan area of Seoul, South Korea; and AFRC-Europe, which has Bavarian resorts in Chiemsee and Garmisch, Germany. They are all self-supporting, using no taxpayer dollars.

The Shades of Green was originally The Disney Inn. I'm not sure if the property was sold or is just being leased by the military. Our last visit there, Oct. 1999, was wonderful. We felt so close to everything; just a short bus ride to anywhere. It was even better for the men in our group to be on-site for the golf tourney. My husband actually spoke to Payne Stewart and his caddy (they died the following week in a plane crash), and Tiger Woods patted my then 5yo son on the head when he wished him luck (something my son, now 9, still talks about).

I was there the week of the golf event. We couldn't get close to SOG because of security related to the golfing. However, while visiting the SOG office at the Contemporary we saw the artist renderings of the planned resort and it is lovely. I can't tell you if it'll be open on time but if it turns out like the plans it will be very nice. I've stayed at SOG 8 times and it is the best military benefit that we have. We pay the highest rates to stay there, but it is still an awesome bargain and we get to go to WDW 2 or 3 times as often as we would if we were staying at a comparable deluxe.

Originally posted by Bob NC
Bus service is excellent. It's on a time schedule, you know exactly when the bus will arrive, no standing around wondering when it will be there. The buses are also FULL SIZE tour buses. Padded seats, very comfortable.

Unless plans have changed, SoG is supposed to be getting a new bus fleet. Hopefully, it will be even nicer and more comfortable for the guests! :)

I have reservations for Mar 17, 2004 at SOG. It will be my first time staying there, provided they open on time! I've stayed at CR (2003) and Lake Buena Vista Best Western (2002) with reservations made thru SOG in the past. Where are they putting the guests who had Dec-Feb reservations? I though I saw something that said they were being put in POR on another discussion board, but I can't find it again.

We had reservations for January and February- and we were given the option of getting moved to the CR or cancelling, or shifting the reservation by 1 year.

We took the CR. We have a March reservation also, and it will be interesting to see if they're open.

Good luck!!

I have got to say, that SOG is the best. They can't do enough for you. It is for people in the military. We are going in March 2004, when my husband comes home from his tour of duty.

I think some of your comments are not so nice, it was and will be a BEAUTIFUL place. Have some respect for your service men and women who stay there and love it .

Originally posted by mommysharon
I think some of your comments are not so nice, it was and will be a BEAUTIFUL place. Have some respect for your service men and women who stay there and love it .

As an active duty U.S. Army service woman myself, I can certainly understand your sensitivity to any negative comments directed toward those in military service.

However, I do not feel the previous comments on this thread were disrespectful of any service members but reflected the mere concern over the potential decline of a benefit that is provided to service members and their families. I love WDW and think it is great that we have the opportunity to stay at a deluxe resort on the property for a low price. However, I refuse to look thru rose-colored glasses just because it is "Disney" and a "military" resort.

I and many others like me serve our country to help preserve the freedoms we are so fortunate to have in our democracy. One of those is the right to free speech. I do not believe anyone should be made to feel guilty for exercising that right.

Mommysharon:

I am not trying to patronize you with what I have said in the above paragraph. I originally felt offended by the "dumb golf" comments on this thread, as well, not because I like golf but because of the whining nature in association with SoG. Then, I realized, that person was just venting. I am glad they are expanding the resort because so many more of us can then enjoy it in the future, cost overruns and delayed openings aside. And, I hope it stays as beautiful as it once was.

I sincerely pray your husband comes home safely and I hope you have a wonderful trip to WDW.

Wouldn't it be "magical" if Disney would extend the Armed Forces Salute (Free 5-day pass to service member and $99 5day passes for family/friends) to those returning home from a tour of duty in a war zone instead of ending it on 19 DEC 03 before the majority of our "fighting" troops even come home?

Dizzny

I too wish they would extend that military pass promotion. I think if you have orders that you just finished your tour you should be able to get the promotion.

I still feel that most of comments were rude. I too am aloud to "vent".

Proud U.S. Army Major's Wife

:D

Originally posted by mommysharon
Dizzny

I too wish they would extend that military pass promotion. I think if you have orders that you just finished your tour you should be able to get the promotion.

I still feel that most of comments were rude. I too am aloud to "vent".

Proud U.S. Army Major's Wife

:D

Hoo ahh! (For those not in the Army, that is an emphatic Army yes) :)

Hi kokohead,
our family had SOG reservations for mid February and were among those offered POR as a replacement. Other people were offered CR. We're headed to POR, but I hope SOG opens on schedule for everyone else and is just a bigger version of it's former self...a beautiful place to relax and enjoy your family.
Have a great vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter