Sha'Carri Richardson Olympian

Sad about the latest news - suspended for 1 month from a marijuana test. NBC story says THC is a newly classified banned drug in 2021.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports...miss-olympics-after-failed-drug-test-n1272960
It’s absolutely ridiculous to me. THC isn’t a performance enhancing drug and nobody would have a problem if she went out drinking the night before or drank coffee that morning. The fact they acknowledge it wasn’t done at the trials and in no way altered her performance and this still happens… :sad2:

Although THC isn't specifically a performance enhancing drug, THC does offer benefits that help with healing, pain, enhances sleep, etc. THC is 1000x better than aclohol. Unfortunately we're years away for society to see that as well. The good news, we're only 3 years away from the next Summer Olympics.

She may be able to compete in a relay in early August, just a day or two after her suspension expires.

As @SteveH said above, she has owned it. She needed it to help her cope with the loss of her mother. She knew it was prohibited, she was willing to pay the price for some peace, and she is fine with the suspension. She's an adult who made a choice which she knew entailed some costs that she was willing to bear.

I hope she gets to run that relay and get a medal!

Sad about the latest news - suspended for 1 month from a marijuana test. NBC story says THC is a newly classified banned drug in 2021.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports...miss-olympics-after-failed-drug-test-n1272960
THC is a long banned substance. In 2012 was to increase the allowed amount from 15 to 150 ng/m so as to only catch in game use. Thus athletes could use pot outside of competitions. So a single use a week before competition would not yield a positive result. In 2021 THC was labeled a substance of abuse because of its health risks which are numerous despite what the general public thinks..
In any event I applaud this young lady for being an adult about it. God Bless her for that. I don't expect people to be perfect. Sometimes a could role model is the one who takes personal responsibility for their actions.

It's banned by the IOC and WADA. They make the rules for athletes not the US. It doesn't matter when she used it, it was in her system when she was tested therefore she has been suspended for 30 days.

Andreea Raducan was the 2000 Olympic All-Around Gold medalist. A few days after that competition she was stripped of her gold medal because she'd taken a Sudafed her team doctor gave her for a head cold. Sudafed was on the banned substance list at that time. It was removed in 2004. Feel bad for her, not Richardson who knowingly broke the rules.

It's banned by the IOC and WADA. They make the rules for athletes not the US. It doesn't matter when she used it, it was in her system when she was tested therefore she has been suspended for 30 days.

Andreea Raducan was the 2000 Olympic All-Around Gold medalist. A few days after that competition she was stripped of her gold medal because she'd taken a Sudafed her team doctor gave her for a head cold. Sudafed was on the banned substance list at that time. It was removed in 2004. Feel bad for her, not Richardson who knowingly broke the rules.
Of course she’s taking ownership of it. It doesn’t change that it’s an idiotic rule.

Of course she’s taking ownership of it. It doesn’t change that it’s an idiotic rule.

She is taking ownership for it and I applaud that. We may think it's an idiotic rule, but WADA and the IOC do not. It's on the banned list for a reason.

For all of us, me included, wondering why pot is on the banned list, here is the answer:

WADA puts a substance on its prohibited list if it determines that substance meets two of the following three criteria:

► It enhances, or could potentially enhance, an athlete's performance.

► It could pose a health risk for athletes.

► It "violates the spirit of sport."

While we may not think pot is that bad, other countries do. WADA and the IOC represents all countries and strive to promote the spirit of the sport.

She is taking ownership for it and I applaud that. We may think it's an idiotic rule, but WADA and the IOC do not. It's on the banned list for a reason.

For all of us, me included, wondering why pot is on the banned list, here is the answer:

While we may not think pot is that bad, other countries do. WADA and the IOC represents all countries and strive to promote the spirit of the sport.
And I understand all that. And I understand it’s their rule. I’m allowed to think it’s an idiotic rule. It is not a performance enhancing drug, so their reason #1 is wrong.

But if it’s because of those reasons, why are alcohol & caffeine allowed? They both qualify in all 3 categories. It’s the misinformation about THC and the hypocrisy that bothers me.

You say you feel bad for the gymnast, but she knowingly took a banned substance as well. It doesn’t really matter that her doctor gave it to her - she knew the rules. (Fwiw, I think sudafed having been on the list is equally as stupid).

I am a huge fan of marijuana. But she broke a rule. She will now face consequences, just like Michael Phelps did when he was suspended. Luckily he had already competed in the Olympics.
Should marijuana be a banned substance maybe maybe not. If you are an athlete and knowing use a substance that is band you should face the consequences.
And she is. With grace.

And she is. With grace.
Indeed with grace. She seems like a lovely person. Her mom did a great job raising her and I don't doubt she used marijuana to cope with that loss. Soothes the mind.

I wish for a day when every human can smoke or eat cannabis. Sadly, it's not that time and this talented woman will suffer because of that.

Edited to make sure I give her grandmother and aunt the credit for raising her. Not her mom as I previously stated.

Last edited:
And I understand all that. And I understand it’s their rule. I’m allowed to think it’s an idiotic rule. It is not a performance enhancing drug, so their reason #1 is wrong.

But if it’s because of those reasons, why are alcohol & caffeine allowed? They both qualify in all 3 categories. It’s the misinformation about THC and the hypocrisy that bothers me.

You say you feel bad for the gymnast, but she knowingly took a banned substance as well. It doesn’t really matter that her doctor gave it to her - she knew the rules. (Fwiw, I think sudafed having been on the list is equally as stupid).

Raducan had no idea what she was taking and she was a minor. She trusted the team doctor and she paid for that mistake.

Caffeine only meets one of the criteria, not two. Same with alcohol. Both caffeine and alcohol are not seen in the same light as marijuana is - both are socially acceptable in the majority of the countries, pot is not.

I'm agreeing with you that it's idiotic in our perspectives. If an athlete wants to smoke pot that's going to harm their performance, not enhance it. But that's one of the reasons why it's banned - it can dull their senses and cause injury to themselves or others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter