Sewage Smell - EPCOT

johnnyr

DIS Veteran
We spent 4 days at EPCOT over the past 2 weeks. There was a terrible sewage smell in the walkway between where the fountain is and The Land. It's where the Character spot is. We smelled it last year too when we were there. I had to hold my breath every time I walked though the walkway. Anyone else notice it?

I remember anothe post on this a while back. If I recall correctly, someone said it is the flowers in the area. I know some flowers smell not so pretty, but sewage is a nasty smell!

I remember anothe post on this a while back. If I recall correctly, someone said it is the flowers in the area. I know some flowers smell not so pretty, but sewage is a nasty smell!

Please! No way this was flowers. It was a disgusting sewage smell.

We spent 4 days at EPCOT over the past 2 weeks. There was a terrible sewage smell in the walkway between where the fountain is and The Land. It's where the Character spot is. We smelled it last year too when we were there. I had to hold my breath every time I walked though the walkway. Anyone else notice it?

Kathy and I think maybe Craig, often mention this on the DIS unplugged podcast - although I believe they find the smell worse in one of the buildings - and that it smells like someone has hidden a diaper somewhere!

Please! No way this was flowers. It was a disgusting sewage smell.

I'm sure it wasn't flowers, I just remember the old thread and thought it was funny that what one person thinks is sewage another would say is flowers! They're have actually been a few posts on this so it is definitely something!

I noticed it indoors in May, in the building with the character spot and at the Coca Cola Club Cool

We often smelled strong fertilizer odors in the parks but never inside. How odd.

We always notice it in Mousegear, the store. I love that store but it smells awful! I've never noticed it outside though.

It could indeed have been recent watering with reclaimed water , or fertilizing with sewage waste dried or other wise. However some flowers to smell terrible......not to discounted as a possible cause.

Not a big deal occasionally in one area. If it bothers anyone, walk a different route.

AKK

We always notice it in Mousegear, the store. I love that store but it smells awful! I've never noticed it outside though.

This is where I've noticed the smell, too. It is not an acrid, decomposing flower smell, nor does it smell like fertilizer (I grew up on an organic vegetable farm in the middle of dairy farm country, I can tell the difference, lol). I've also spent time on large ships that pump sewage, and the smell here smells exactly like raw sewage, and it is putrid. To the point where I can't shop in MouseGear anymore; I avoid it altogether. I've put it on my feedback after every WDW trip, but have heard nothing about them trying to resolve the issue.

I'm wondering if maybe the Epcot Character Spot was downwind of this during your trip, @johnnyr?

We smelled it as well back in March of this year. The smell to me wasn't so much of sewage but more like that smell back when the ladies used to do home perms. I have no idea what it was, but oh yes it is horrid.

We smelled it as well back in March of this year. The smell to me wasn't so much of sewage but more like that smell back when the ladies used to do home perms. I have no idea what it was, but oh yes it is horrid.

Yes. The old home perms remind me of a rotten egg smell. It's the same smell, I smell outside of MouseGears.

If it's the smell over by Mousegear, then that's been known for years. From what I've heard it's a known piping issue, probably caused by an unbalanced system due to some sort of refurb or addition over the years. Similar to what can happen with a kitchen water trap, something may be running dry periodically allowing sewer gasses to escape the vents.

We notice it here as well. I've never caught a whiff outside, but it can be quite strong in Mousegear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter