Severe weather? Just in case, what's the plan?

Badamon

Mouseketeer
Good morning,
Watching the news this morning with the reports of tornadoes on the west coast of FL and wondering if anyone here knows what WDW's action plan is for camping guests at FW? Because there are not seasonal sites at FW, you wouldn't have hurricane straps installed as required at many (if not all) seasonal campgrounds in Florida and you certainly shouldn't rely on those in such an event. I can't imagine being in a trailer/motor home during severe weather. We had an EF3 hit our area/town in 2011 and it caused devastating damage. We had loss of life in our small town and it was at our local campground. Someone refused to leave their camper.

Anyone experience tornado warnings/watch or hurricane at FW and what was the action plan in place by WDW? Traveling in a few weeks and I know that it's not tornado/hurricane season, but perhaps the tornadoes that touched down last night didn't get that memo?
Scary stuff. Stay safe everyone!

I do not know of any camp ground that has emergency plans for tornadoes. I would imagine fort wilderness does and would like to see them.

A few years ago we were at the fort over spring break and and one day we were at sea world for the day. A storm rolled through and a tornado was only a few miles away. Super windy and they moved everyone into the dolphin stadium I'm thinking because of the concrete roof. Took us a half hour to find our stroller afterwards. First thing I thought of was... Oh no I left my awning out at the campground. When we got back it was fine but there was plenty of damage at the fort and lots of flooding. I asked some people that were there and they said they just hunkered down in there campers. I don't know about you but I don't want to be in my camper when it's rolling down the street. Something about a 300 pound fridge landing on my kids doesn't sit well.

Last summer in Kentucky there was a bad storm that rolled through and the power went out in the campground and they didn't tell us anything. We got in our truck and put our seat belts on and sat it out.

I am sure that the Fort and WDW have an action plan. I grew up in the Midwest in Tornado Alley. There is not usually enough time to react to a tornado. A tornadoes life span is very short, I would say usually less than ten minutes from formation until it lifts up. They can issue watches, but that just means it may occur. Even when they issue a warning, they can last for hours and you may never see a thing. Spent a lot of nights sleeping in the basement where nothing ever occurred.
But to be worried constantly about them, I wouldn't. You have a better chance of being in a car wreck. I know that sounds terrible.
Looking at you signature, we are staying about a week behind you, and I am more worried about Ice and Snowstorms in my travels then weather in Florida.

Over the years Disney has evacuated Fort Wilderness campers to its resort hotels on property during times of passing hurricanes or other severe weather for those who want to stay. Campsite refunds were issued for people who wanted to cut their vacations short and head home.

I don't know/recall where the line is between bad-weather-ride-it-out and bad-weather-evacuate-the-campground. But obviously being campers you need to be aware of the day's weather and manage your campsite accordingly. Don't leave an unanchored EZ up over your picnic table if 50mph winds are expected. Cover or bring in lawn chairs and outside small items. Cover and secure bikes and larger items.

I remember one camping trip to Gulf State Park where we had lightning hitting the ground, high winds, and hail all around us and we bailed for the safety of the cinder block Comfort Station. DW huddled with DD inside but me and the boys watched an awesome spectacle of nature from the sidewalk of the CS. That was back when we had the Jayco popup.

Bama Ed

No to get off topic but we were headed to Panama City Beach on year and there was a front with bad straight line winds in it, we planned and watched the radar. We made it to the Walmart in Destin, and parked on the leeward side of the building close to the wall. Waited for it to pass. It blew around 50 or so mph, glad I wasn't on the road.

We were at the Fort during Hurricane Charley and were evacuated to Port Orleans French Quarter. We got a flyer the night before we were evacuated telling us we needed to move the next day. It was crazy trying to get out but there were trees down everywhere after the hurricane came through so I'm glad we weren't in the campground.

A hurricane gives way more warning. A tornado is seek shelter now. I would drive my car to the main structure on post and take cover. Screw the parking rules. Safety comes first.

I have the Weather Channel app on my phone that gives me notifications of real time weather. We have totally hit the closet at 2cm bc of notifications.

If the comfort houses/ bathrooms are block structures this may be your best bet in an emergency. You would at least be better off than in a trailer or RV.

Climb under a bridge (concrete one) or inside a large tiling. To be honest, some of those pines and oaks are good sizable trees and even a comfort station wouldn't be much shelter. However, definitely better than a tent or camper.

I just watched a show on Weather Channel on how to survive a tornado. If you can make it to a solid shelter, do it. If not, get in your vehicle and buckle your seatbelts. At least there are air bags to protect you. The last place you want to be is a camper.

I just watched a show on Weather Channel on how to survive a tornado. If you can make it to a solid shelter, do it. If not, get in your vehicle and buckle your seatbelts. At least there are air bags to protect you. The last place you want to be is a camper.
This was my initial thought. I'd rather be buckled in my F-250 (with air bags) and at least a possibility to drive AWAY from an on coming tornado. I got 4 wheel drive and as a PP stated, screw the rules, safety first, so if driving out of the path of an on-coming tornado means I have to cut across a beautiful lawn, so be it. Obviously the truck isn't my "First" choice, but lacking a solid structure (or basement), I like it a whole lot better than my camper.

Climb under a bridge (concrete one) .

Sorry tiggerdad, that's one of the 'worst' places to seek shelter.
Supposedly it becomes like a 'wind tunnel' and all manner of debris can hit you there at 'many miles an hour'!! Likewise, a motor vehicle is a very unsafe shelter as they are easily tossed around. Guess there are 'no safe' places, but permanent structures are the safest, 'supposedly'.

We were in a tropical storm at Disney (FW) and they kept us updated with flyers about what and where we should go if the wind became sustained at 35mph or above. Thankfully, it didn't, but all the tents were gone - was very empty, and lots of FW like a 'lake' with limb debris all around!

I'll take my chances with the structure that can hold up a class A motorhome. Of course, we could jump in the canal if need be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter