Severe T-Storm heading towards WDW

Now I'm debating whether it will be better facing a severe t-storm at WDW or the 5-8 inches of snow I'm supposed to get tonight. Here's some pixie dust to those bracing the storm! pixiedust:[/QU

Amen to that! I am so annoyed by this early spring snowstorm. I am so done with winter!

I hope everyone got thru safe and no one suffered injuries.

I am absolutely terrified of severe weather. I can think of so many places I'd like to be in a storm at WDW, and just as many I wouldn't. I saw some of the pictures and YouTube videos and all I can say is "I would have been deep in the bowels":crowded: of somewhere, as far away from the windows and doors as possible.

More stressing would be to not have all family members together.

Wishing the storms are over and done now so you can all get back to your magical timepixiedust:

Wow! So glad to hear everyone is safe. I was really surprised to hear about all the severe weather over there - just an hour to the west, we've had cloudy skies and some wind, but nothing like what's reported in Orlando! It has been super humid all day, though :crazy2:

I just want to confirm what PPs have mentioned about WDW being a safe place during a storm. If we ever have a hurricane while I'm down here, I have seriously considered making Disney be my evacuation plan. I'd rather be there than in my house - the floorplan is so open and there are very few safe places to go!

Haven't read the whole thread, but there was a tornado close to Winter Garden today. Hope everyone is safe!

This storm looks crazy! I have a friend who is in the MK today - poor thing got soaked! Amazing how much damage wind and rain can do.

I got stuck in a storm like this July '11. I had started to head back to BC from MK and it was my first time staying there. Took the monorail to EP thinking I could hop on a bus to BC, yeah you can't. Walking through 8in deep puddles in EP with a 15mo was fun :)

Glad everyone is safe!!!!

Was this the Thursday of 4th of July week? We had a storm like this that day - we were in the MK and it is referred to within my friend-group as the "Great Flood of Tomorrowland." It was a portion of a terrible, horrible, no-good day for us, ha, so much that the flood memory is actually the highlight.

My 15 year old niece is there with her color guard team, performing at the parks for several days. She posted on FB about the storms, and I asked where she took cover (she's at Epcot today). Her response was, "wherever we could." ;)

So here's a fun little thought exercise...or perhaps something some of you could answer from experience!

If you were stuck in a park during torrential storms, where would you prefer to take cover (considering safety, comfort, and avoiding boredom)?

My choices for each park:

MK - Hall of Presidents. Cozy theater seating and Morgan Freeman's narration!
Epcot - The American Adventure for similar reasons. Either The Land or The Seas pavilions in FW. I bet Living with the Land is interesting during a downpour!
DHS - Animator's Studio
AK - Not many good choices here. Maybe FotLK or Nemo?

So here's a fun little thought exercise...or perhaps something some of you could answer from experience!

If you were stuck in a park during torrential storms, where would you prefer to take cover (considering safety, comfort, and avoiding boredom)?

Epcot - The American Adventure for similar reasons. Either The Land or The Seas pavilions in FW. I bet Living with the Land is interesting during a downpour!
DHS - Animator's Studio

What a fun idea! I don't even know where would be best!! I actually kind of like the idea of watching a crazy storm from inside the park. Maybe sit near a window in a restaurant and watch it happen!

parkhopping said:

DHS - Animator's Studio

Last September during the F&W preview, there was a downpour that lasted over an hour. Fortunately, we had finished visiting the food kiosks and were in FW when the downpour began. We did the Character Meet and Greets at C-Spot and then hung out in Innoventions to pass the time!

You could take refuge in Its Tough to Be a Bug in Animal Kingdom....

Speaking of: How do they keep the animals safe at Animal Kingdom and/or Animal Kingdom Lodge?

Glad everyone is safe. We are from Tuscaloosa, Alabama and had a Ef4 tornado April 27, 2011. My father in law was in surgery and my DH watched the tornado coming toward the hospital.

What a fun idea! I don't even know where would be best!! I actually kind of like the idea of watching a crazy storm from inside the park. Maybe sit near a window in a restaurant and watch it happen!

I thought about that! CRT would have an interesting view. From a safety standpoint, it wouldn't be my first choice, but then again if it was getting very dangerous I'm sure they'd move everyone to a safer location. Would be fun watching the action in Fantasyland until then.

You could take refuge in Its Tough to Be a Bug in Animal Kingdom....

Speaking of: How do they keep the animals safe at Animal Kingdom and/or Animal Kingdom Lodge?

Glad everyone is safe. We are from Tuscaloosa, Alabama and had a Ef4 tornado April 27, 2011. My father in law was in surgery and my DH watched the tornado coming toward the hospital.

That is a good question! I know they are herded in at night via audio; they know their calls. I'm sure they could do the same thing during the day if the weather got bad.

Very scary about the tornado. I grew up in Alabama and was just devastated to hear about those tornados in 2011. An acquaintance of mine lost her fiance to the storm. So tragic. I'm sure it was as fascinating as it was scary to see the tornado coming, though!

just found an old pic taken with my brother near the sphere. do you remember the Sinclair dinosaurs ?

Yep. I think the reason I love WDW so much started at this fair. I loved everything lit up at night. Being a kid, it was very magical.

As for the storm today, unreal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter