Seven Dwarves So Close...

Check out the link below and you can see how far they've come since December of 2011.

http://pix.aerog.com/Images/Disney/Disney-world-aerials/i-3dzQ4gj/A

Fantastic link, I can't believe I missed those before. Why did they wait so long to start working on the 7dmt? In the pics the rest of New Fantasylands show buildings look nearly complete while the 7dmt is just a foundation.

Anyhoo...we WDW diehards will generally continue to think of USO as the red headed step child and WDW as the golden-boy he is...but that step-kid...he's been pretty impressive lately.

What a great analogy, spot on too. I'd love to spend a few days enjoying the other parks but a week isn't even enough time to adequately explore WDW let alone IOA, USO, and Seaworld so the red headed step children will have to wait.

You do realize there are plans to add additional rides to Jurassic Park, right? You do realize there are plans to add a Kong attraction to IOA, right? You do realize there are plans to build a big water park with a Minion Island, right? You do realize there are plans to overhaul the Woody's Kid Zone, right?

Where are they putting all of this? I'm not familiar with their expansion plans and just looking at a map they have lots of room but it's either currently used or across the street. There's a big area between Jurassic Park and Ripsaw falls for the Jurassic Park expansion but after that IOA looks packed. Are they going to start using the empty lots south of Hollywood way or are those reserved for hotels or even a 3rd gate?

Is USO still an operating studio? They have a lot of prime space being used by studios buildings and parking lots.

Looks like they have a lot of room, just curious how they plan on using it.

Where are they putting all of this? I'm not familiar with their expansion plans and just looking at a map they have lots of room but it's either currently used or across the street. There's a big area between Jurassic Park and Ripsaw falls for the Jurassic Park expansion but after that IOA looks packed. Are they going to start using the empty lots south of Hollywood way or are those reserved for hotels or even a 3rd gate?

Is USO still an operating studio? They have a lot of prime space being used by studios buildings and parking lots.

Looks like they have a lot of room, just curious how they plan on using it.

The pic below lays out where the rumored areas for JP and Kong would be.

jpx_zps58faf5c1.png

picture credit goes to OrlandoUnited.com

As far as the water park goes, there are rumors that it may be located where they old Wet n Wild (but expanded since they bought that land around it) or over next to their new value hotel Cabana Bay resort. It would be located between CB and RPR.

There are a lot of other ideas being tossed around out there in regards to Universal Orlando. People would absolutely freak out if they knew there was a Universal Monorail being thrown out there. It should get interesting, to say the least. ;)

I hope it wakes Disney up more than anything. I've enjoyed going there since the 70's so it's not like I haven't been a Disney fan my entire life. I just hope this kick in the shorts will result in a positive experience in the future.

I like shiny new things. :thumbsup2

ETA: as far as the Studios being active, no they are not. Those buildings are utilized for their Halloween Horror Nights attractions these days.

:rotfl:

Yes, I am very aware of the numbers. Why is it that you think MK had 17.5 million visitors and DHS only had 9.9 million?

I'm also aware that IOA had a 30.2% increase in attendance after Potter opened. You do realize they are building a bigger better land on the Universal side of the park, correct?

You do realize there are plans to add additional rides to Jurassic Park, right? You do realize there are plans to add a Kong attraction to IOA, right? You do realize there are plans to build a big water park with a Minion Island, right? You do realize there are plans to overhaul the Woody's Kid Zone, right?

You do realize that Comcast has committed to investing $1.5 billion in it's parks over the next 5 years, right? Where Universal is investing money on attractions in it's parks, Disney invested that same amount in a weak plan (MM+) to try to keep people from going to Universal to enjoy the new enhancements. You may think Universal is second tier and write them off. I guarantee that Disney doesn't think that now.

It's all really funny when you stop to think about it! :rotfl:

I hope all of this happens. I like Disney, but the rides to me lack excitement. I go there, because I remember the fun I had with my grandmother. I also have a DD that just turned 4 and is 43" tall. I am a thrill seeker, and I love coasters. I also do love good theming and art. It seems lately the newer stuff at Disney just isn't as good as it use to be. Plus they are lacking a decent coaster. Once DD is old enough to ride most of the rides at IOA I doubt we will even go to Disney. We live near Busch Gardens in VA, so we utilize our platinum passes at the Busch parks, and then add Disney. Our vacation last year we just used our Busch passes, and added some Universal days. Skipped Disney altogether. I hope with the rumors of the new additions at Disney maybe they will have some exciting rides :confused3

In order of bolded:

Tell your daughter not to be mad at Universal for the size. The size was determined and controlled by JK Rowling.

By "so many good rides" do you mean the ONE actual ride they have in New Fantasyland? :confused3

Pandora will more like Soarin' and not resemble FJ in any way.

Yes, we know it was JK Rowling, I meant rides at Disney in general, including MK. No we don't know absolutely that they will use a soarin' style ride although this has been rumored and would be an OK fit. Disney can purchase the license to the HP ride technology after 5 years if they want. With Cameron they may do something new.

:rotfl:

Yes, I am very aware of the numbers. Why is it that you think MK had 17.5 million visitors and DHS only had 9.9 million?

I'm also aware that IOA had a 30.2% increase in attendance after Potter opened. You do realize they are building a bigger better land on the Universal side of the park, correct?

You do realize that Comcast has committed to investing $1.5 billion in it's parks over the next 5 years, right? Where Universal is investing money on attractions in it's parks, Disney invested that same amount in a weak plan (MM+) to try to keep people from going to Universal to enjoy the new enhancements. You may think Universal is second tier and write them off. I guarantee that Disney doesn't think that now.

It's all really funny when you stop to think about it! :rotfl:

IOA made it all the way to $7.9 million. And that 30% dropped to only 4% in 2012, albeit still a healthy increase. A long way to go yet. Why does Universal get credit for announced and rumored rides and expansion, all assumed to be great, and Disney doesn't or they are assumed to be lousy? They need to replace the Jurassic Park ride. I would love it and go again if they bring King Kong.

But wait a minute! King Kong is a failed "yesterday's news" franchise, so it couldn't be successful .:rolleyes1Pandora will be as good as anything Universal adds. And Star Wars - the ultimate franchise in today's world - will dwarf anything else anyone does.

Some of what was listed is confirmed but much is rumor. Even if they added all that and increased attendance, Universal would still not be in the same league as Disney. BUT it is wise for Disney to pay attention to everything and respond. A response won't happen overnight, just like it will be a good while until the things you listed materialize, if they materialize.

When Pandora is open and Star Wars is under construction, I think many will sing another tune.

Yes, we know it was JK Rowling, I meant rides at Disney in general, including MK. No we don't know absolutely that they will use a soarin' style ride although this has been rumored and would be an OK fit. Disney can purchase the license to the HP ride technology after 5 years if they want. With Cameron they may do something new.

IOA made it all the way to $7.9 million. And that 30% dropped to only 4% in 2012, albeit still a healthy increase. A long way to go yet. Why does Universal get credit for announced and rumored rides and expansion, all assumed to be great, and Disney doesn't or they are assumed to be lousy? They need to replace the Jurassic Park ride. I would love it and go again if they bring King Kong.

But wait a minute! King Kong is a failed "yesterday's news" franchise, so it couldn't be successful .:rolleyes1Pandora will be as good as anything Universal adds. And Star Wars - the ultimate franchise in today's world - will dwarf anything else anyone does.

Some of what was listed is confirmed but much is rumor. Even if they added all that and increased attendance, Universal would still not be in the same league as Disney. BUT it is wise for Disney to pay attention to everything and respond. A response won't happen overnight, just like it will be a good while until the things you listed materialize, if they materialize.

When Pandora is open and Star Wars is under construction, I think many will sing another tune.

I understand that you don't like Universal as much as Disney. I am a fan of both of them. I have been a Disney fan much longer than I have been a Universal fan. I am not a "jump on the Uni bandwagon" kinda guy. I have visited Uni since the first year it opened as well. That goes for IOA, too. I like them both.

The fact that you argue about IOA only being up 4% last year (which was still more than any Disney park..actually almost doubled their attendance increase at any one park) is a moot point. IOAs attendance is up 63.2% overall since 2009, when the Wizard came to town. Now I am not a CEO or anything like that, but if my park's attendance increased THAT much then I might want a bonus or something. In the meantime, MKs attendance in the same overall timeframe has risen 1.8% total (they were -1.5% in 2010....Potter opened in June of that year).

We like the fact that Universal is adding attractions that entice US, as in my wife and I. Fantasyland does LOOK awesome. I have never argued that at all. But it holds little interest to US, as paying customers. Disney has been very stagnant in OUR eyes when it comes to attractions that interest US. I can see where parents of 7 year old girls eat the new addition at MK up like Joey Chestnut at the Crystal Palace on any given Tuesday.

Universal is going "whole hog" on this thing. And they are going to be doing it for a long time. They will have added at least three new attractions by the time Pandora opens up. I am sure I will check that out when it happens. And there are actually leaked documents that show the plans for the ride there so it's not so much a secret as to how the ride platform will be based.

I agree with Star Wars...that will be HUGE if done RIGHT. But just when do you think that is going to happen? If Pandora isn't completed until 2017 or 2018, can we look forward to SW in 2020...2023? :confused3 They announced Avatarland in September of 2011, to be completed in 2015. We all know THAT isn't happening. Are they going to start on SW during the construction of AL? But yes, we will check Pandora out when it's finally completed.

But you never answered my question about why MK has nearly twice as many "turnstile clicks" (or "green Mickey swirls" now, I guess) as does DHS or AK? Disney has a "captive" audience and still can't get close to matching MKs attendance in their own parks.

I'd say US/IOA is holding their own quite well in this day and age.

Just remember, when it comes to downplaying Universal's recent meteoric rise to the "big leagues" of theme park offerings...Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was WDW (and certainly neither was the 7DMT!). While USO continues to pour money into their parks/attractions/restaurants/resorts, Disney is slogging along on a 2 year old build on a kiddie coaster and implementing a BILLION DOLLAR boondoggle called MM+ (the jury still hasn't reached a verdict on this yet...)

What USO does seem to have going for it (aside from deep pockets) is MOMENTUM, coupled with the knowledge that they AREN'T #1 king-poop-of-doody-mountain and the intense drive to want to give current King-poop a run for his money. While Disney seems to be content in it's knowledge that they are #1, the emperor, and always will be and everyone will be just hunky dory with everything they do no matter what they do or how slowly they do it (guilty as charged....I'm hooked!)

If I may make yet another analogy. Has anybody noticed? I think...just maybe...the emperor might be actually be naked. Or at least just in his underwear...

Don't get me wrong. I still love the emperor whether in his skivvies, buck-nekkid, or draped in the finest accoutrements. But I'm not blind.

Just remember, when it comes to downplaying Universal's recent meteoric rise to the "big leagues" of theme park offerings...Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was WDW (and certainly neither was the 7DMT!). While USO continues to pour money into their parks/attractions/restaurants/resorts, Disney is slogging along on a 2 year old build on a kiddie coaster and implementing a BILLION DOLLAR boondoggle called MM+ (the jury still hasn't reached a verdict on this yet...)

What USO does seem to have going for it (aside from deep pockets) is MOMENTUM, coupled with the knowledge that they AREN'T #1 king-poop-of-doody-mountain and the intense drive to want to give current King-poop a run for his money. While Disney seems to be content in it's knowledge that they are #1, the emperor, and always will be and everyone will be _____ dory with everything they do no matter what they do or how slowly they do it (guilty as charged....I'm hooked!)

If I may make yet another analogy. Has anybody noticed? I think...just maybe...the emperor might be actually be naked. Or at least just in his underwear...

Don't get me wrong. I still love the emperor whether in his skivvies, buck-nekkid, or draped in the finest accoutrements. But I'm not blind.

Nice post, Jennasis. :thumbsup2 Very nice!

But I will be honest, you might want to change that to "hunky dory". We don't need this thread to go much MORE off the kiddie coaster track. ;)

To me the proof that Universal really knows what they are doing and that their recent and continued updates and expansions are truly working is evident in the fact that just a couple of years ago this thread would went much differently. There would only have been a couple of people at most saying don't count Universal out because they continue to improve. Now, I believe even some of those that originally put Universal down and stated how HP would not come close to comparing to the wonder of the New Fantasyland are some of the very ones saying how great Universal and WWOHP is.
I still enjoy both Parks but the difference to me is all the changes Disney are making serve to diminish my enthusiasm of planning a WDW trip and the ones Universal are making have me looking forward to planning my next one.

And to totally blow the coaster off the track and into Gaston's kitchen where they "cook" those pork shank things....if you had invested $1,000 on December 30th, 2011 in Disney stock then it would be worth $2,022 as of yesterday's opening price. If you had invested that same amount in Comcast (owner of Universal) it would be worth $2,186.

Universal must be better. :lmao:

To me the proof that Universal really knows what they are doing and that their recent and continued updates and expansions are truly working is evident in the fact that just a couple of years ago this thread would went much differently. There would only have been a couple of people at most saying don't count Universal out because they continue to improve. Now, I believe even some of those that originally put Universal down and stated how HP would not come close to comparing to the wonder of the New Fantasyland are some of the very ones saying how great Universal and WWOHP is.
I still enjoy both Parks but the difference to me is all the changes Disney are making serve to diminish my enthusiasm of planning a WDW trip and the ones Universal are making have me looking forward to planning my next one.

I was just telling DH the same thing :(.

Was lucky enough to take a tour MK with Phil Homes a few weeks ago and he said that the Mine Coaster will not be open till "early summer"

One of the reasons we waited to go to WDW again was so that it would be open. Hope early summer happens before July 4th.

A guy said it will be early summer, not Disney. I will naively assume that the official Spring 2014 opening is still accurate.

To an earlier post, the Revenge of the Mummy attraction at Universal Studios is also part dark-ride, part coaster. The uniqueness of 7DMT is borne from its ride vehicle more than anything else.

I agree with you. If they are already running the Mine Cars this attraction will be open way before September. I'm heading there in May and expect at least a soft opening by then but I won't go jump off cliff if its not open...LOL!

I agree with you. If they are already running the Mine Cars this attraction will be open way before September. I'm heading there in May and expect at least a soft opening by then but I won't go jump off cliff if its not open...LOL!

No promises from me on not doing that if it isn't open by my summer trip at least! :rotfl:

....reminds me of Dinoland, my least favorite part of any of the parks, in that the theme is a cheap amusement park. I think the coaster has a lot of ground to make up for this expansion.

Second that! I just don't get Dinoland. Theming is stupid, looks out of place, and the rides are only a step up from what you'd ride at the county fair. I haven't been to the new Fantasyland or Storybook Circus yet (15 more days!!!) but I'm hoping it's much better than Dinoland....!

Yes, we know it was JK Rowling .

Personally, we love that the shops are so small. If you had big, normal-sized theme park shops and restaurants it would change the feel of the whole place and it would lose a lot of its charm and magic.

And Star Wars - the ultimate franchise in today's world - will dwarf anything else anyone does.

Have I missed something? As far as I've seen, Disney has announced exactly zero expansion plans regarding Star Wars. They made news all over the country by acquiring the rights, and had all that attention and noise and they just....did nothing. Well, they were busy fiddling with the Magic Bands, I guess.

Second that! I just don't get Dinoland. Theming is stupid, looks out of place, and the rides are only a step up from what you'd ride at the county fair. I haven't been to the new Fantasyland or Storybook Circus yet (15 more days!!!) but I'm hoping it's much better than Dinoland....!

A lot of people hate Dinoland. I think it is clever and funny, right down to the fake parking spaces painted on the ground. I think one's appreciation of that section might be proportional to one's appreciation of irony in general.

A lot of people hate Dinoland. I think it is clever and funny, right down to the fake parking spaces painted on the ground. I think one's appreciation of that section might be proportional to one's appreciation of irony in general.

Sounds like The Onion's bit on hipsters ironically going to Applebee's to make fun of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpSo-VJTeE8

Sounds like The Onion's bit on hipsters ironically going to Applebee's to make fun of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpSo-VJTeE8

I don't know if I see the connection. Dinoland was built purposefully tongue-in-cheek. Applebee's is not.

I think a better restaurant comparison to Dinoland is 50's Prime Time Cafe. (I have seen complaints on the restaurant forum about how that place really needs an update...I mean, formica! The point = missed.)

I don't know if I see the connection. Dinoland was built purposefully tongue-in-cheek. Applebee's is not.

I think a better restaurant comparison to Dinoland is 50's Prime Time Cafe. (I have seen complaints on the restaurant forum about how that place really needs an update...I mean, formica! The point = missed.)

I agree that Dinoland is clever. But it is still an obvious "cheap" fix to huge problem of lack of attractions at DAK.

The imagineers did a great job with the backstory there on a shoestring or carnival barkers budget.

Jack Spence has a detailed and interesting article on dinoland and the story.

No, but they made the Fajita Cordon Blue and Chicken Strip Explosion purposely tongue-in-cheek for their ironic customer base! :) Yes, I can keep up with the layers, I know Dinoland only looks and feels cheap and is that way on purpose.

Maybe so, but it's also possible to get the point and be unimpressed with the formica.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter