Seven Dwarves Mine Train

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

We're actually a very nice group of helpful people who try to counsel all those WDW folks to maximize their fun at the Universal Parks. We get plenty of people coming over and telling us how inferior Universal is, you may as well come and join the fun!

Oh and many of us have annual passes, so for us it is certainly a destination!!!

It sure does seem to upset people when all of a sudden so many visitors are saying that they wish WDW would be doing things the way Universal is.
Maybe you could guide Mad Hattered your way? He seems lost. :rotfl2:

I liked your post a lot more before I got to the little dig there at the end.

WDW will never do things the way Universal does any more than Universal is going to change its marketing and development plan to match Disney. It's not really "all of a sudden" and it's not really "so many" visitors. The Disney vs. Universal argument has been going on in earnest since WWoHP opened. There's always at least one thread -- and usually more -- about how Universal does X better and how Disney's XYZ is lame. Or about how Disney will always be the best and how Universal will never catch up. So has it been, so shall it always be.

As for numbers ... there really aren't that many people so much as a few people arguing very enthusiastically. There's a difference between someone saying "Why is it taking Disney so long to build 7DMT" and someone saying "I can't believe Disney is taking longer to open their stupid kiddie ride than Universal took to build WWoHP." The first one asks a question and hopes for an answer. The second one slams Disney and picks a fight.

:earsboy:

Maybe you could guide Mad Hattered your way? He seems lost. :rotfl2:

I liked your post a lot more before I got to the little dig there at the end.

WDW will never do things the way Universal does any more than Universal is going to change its marketing and development plan to match Disney. It's not really "all of a sudden" and it's not really "so many" visitors. The Disney vs. Universal argument has been going on in earnest since WWoHP opened. There's always at least one thread -- and usually more -- about how Universal does X better and how Disney's XYZ is lame. Or about how Disney will always be the best and how Universal will never catch up. So has it been, so shall it always be.

As for numbers ... there really aren't that many people so much as a few people arguing very enthusiastically. There's a difference between someone saying "Why is it taking Disney so long to build 7DMT" and someone saying "I can't believe Disney is taking longer to open their stupid kiddie ride than Universal took to build WWoHP." The first one asks a question and hopes for an answer. The second one slams Disney and picks a fight.

:earsboy:

I'm sorry I called it a kiddie coaster. But I still can't believe how long it's taking to open their new attraction. Is that better? :)

One funny thing about this ongoing debate is I am sure we are taking it a lot more to heart then Disney or Uni is!

You see they know in the long run, Disney and Uni together, will bring more guests to Orlando, then only Disney.

AKK

I can drag this out all you want, if you really want to go there! I tried to make peace and leave it at that. I can stick around all you like, Missy. :mad:

You tried to make peace by bringing up FP+ again? That's not even the purpose of this thread! You were just trying to add another reason why you dislike WDW. Fine, dislike. Dislike away.

Away from the DISboards.

Maybe there's a DISboards for recovering DISaddicts?

You tried to make peace by bringing up FP+ again? That's not even the purpose of this thread! You were just trying to add another reason why you dislike WDW. Fine, dislike. Dislike away.

Away from the DISboards.

Sulks away........but you do come across a genuinely nice person

I don't take it personal, jenny...actually none of this at all. I didn't mean to start flames wars but apparently I did. To answer your question, yes, I suppose we are burnt out on it after visiting so many times. To US it has lost some of the magic and I fault US and Disney for that. Perhaps Disney is doing enough for others, that's fine. Our take it different, that's all. I don't feel like rewarding a company with my money when it appears it's just taken for granted.

Some people are KOOL (;) for WDSearcher) with Disney the way it is. I know how it used to be and the more we've gone we find that it's just not close to being the same. Whether that be the attitude of the CMs, the cleanliness, the maintenance cuts and so on. Now, that is not to say that Uni is better at any of those things I just mentioned, not at all. But if I am expected to pay more and more for the same ole same ole, and in my opinion, much worse experience, then it doesn't make sense to go there. We were there in March and that will be our last trip for a very very long time (maybe a new land or ride will built by then ;))

This whole FP+ thing is another reason we won't pay the Mouse. I like to come and read what the responses are to that fiasco (IMHO). It's like a train wreck waiting to happen and maybe I am just anxious for them to actually pull out of the station so we can witness the carnage. We visit Theme/Amusement parks all over the country so this isn't a Disney vs Uni thing at all with US. We are just willing to spend money where we think it's being invested in our best interests. That pretty much sums it up.

And we are sitting on 16 days worth of Non-Expiring Hopper tickets, too! :confused:

Thanks for answering and understanding that I'm not trying to battle you LOL
Our dd is young yet so Disney is perfect for US. Sure some things could be better and dining used to be better but we still love it there to spend 12-15 nights in our dvc twice a year. When she gets older and is able to ride all the big rides then I am sure we will hit up Universal and sea world and all those others parks lol I will secretly say that I have been wanting to check out city walk! Looks like lots of fun with great dining. Hopefully DTD will be a success once its done and will have some great new dining options!
Again, thanks for being civil and discussing with me! I appreciate it and I enjoy seeing things from other perspectives.

Ok, so I didn't list EVERYTHING on WDW property. I Listed the things that my family actually went to every summer during the entire 1980s. And that there was an arcade at the Contemporary isn't really something in addition to the Contemporary resort. It was part of it. It's like naming the luau at the Polynesian& Yes I know that was there, as part of the Polynesian resort. I went to it.

The point was that Walt Disney World has massively expanded in the last 30 years and has continued to grow. It's easy to overlook but when you really think about it there are a ton more options to do there than there were when I was a kid.

You stated your list as facts, so I was just highlighting that there were other resorts, water parks, DTD, etc. opened at the time.

Also, the arcade at the Contemporary was a destination in itself. People spent afternoons and evenings there visiting it from other resorts. The arcade, known formally as the Fiesta Fun Center (current location of The Wave), had a shooting gallery, movie theater, snack bar, etc. The current arcades don't hold a candle to it and it is a shame it is gone.

I'm sorry I called it a kiddie coaster. But I still can't believe how long it's taking to open their new attraction. Is that better? :)

Its not that all a mystery,

1. Disney messed up with the first design of the NFL, they were over doing the princesses and really had no new and techno ride for the kids! Nothing for the boys. The public reaction hit them in the head and they woke up. They had to almost totally clear off the drawing table and redesign the whole thing.

2. At the start of building, Iger's (gee I will be glad when he gone, but at least he's waking up to the fact the bottom line is far from everything when your at Disney, the brand counts more) bean counters were holding back, cutting corners and not working 24 hours shifts.

3. So the mine train you see now really didn't come to life on paper until part of the NFL was opened and they still needed to contract out some of the engineering and items.

4. When building was really going full steam, they had to worry about being in the *middle* of the NFL and all the guests which limits they production. It they were off to one side like the new potter it would have been easier.

Just my observation!

AKK

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

We're actually a very nice group of helpful people who try to counsel all those WDW folks to maximize their fun at the Universal Parks. We get plenty of people coming over and telling us how inferior Universal is, you may as well come and join the fun!

Oh and many of us have annual passes, so for us it is certainly a destination!!!

It sure does seem to upset people when all of a sudden so many visitors are saying that they wish WDW would be doing things the way Universal is.

I know about those and they are still Disboards...that was my point...Can you point me to the Uniboards? Tx. :)

It doesn't upset me that people all of a sudden say they wish WDW would be doing things the way Universal is. It just is irritating that they come to the Dis boards to do it. Like I have said, I don't go to Universal boards and rub anyone's noses about the bottom line, the number of hotel rooms and restaurants, or the amount of nightly entertainment. No need.

You stated your list as facts, so I was just highlighting that there were other resorts, water parks, DTD, etc. opened at the time.

Also, the arcade at the Contemporary was a destination in itself. People spent afternoons and evenings there visiting it from other resorts. The arcade, known formally as the Fiesta Fun Center (current location of The Wave), had a shooting gallery, movie theater, snack bar, etc. The current arcades don't hold a candle to it and it is a shame it is gone.

Oh my goodness...I know I know. I didn't feel like consulting Wikipedia to research the origins of WDW. My point remains that there was less to do then than there is today. There are over 20 resorts, 140 restaurants, and two new theme parks since 1980.

I know about those and they are still Disboards...that was my point...Can you point me to the Uniboards? Tx. :)

It doesn't upset me that people all of a sudden say they wish WDW would be doing things the way Universal is. It just is irritating that they come to the Dis boards to do it. Like I have said, I don't go to Universal boards and rub anyone's noses about the bottom line, the number of hotel rooms and restaurants, or the amount of nightly entertainment. No need.

Why would people go to the Universal boards to say they wished WDW would make more new rides like Universal is doing?

What is the harm in wanting more rides and wanting them ASAP, anyway? What is the harm in wishing that all the parks would be putting in more new stuff? :confused3 And why is it that every time someone says they would like WDW to be putting in rides at the speed of Universal, people have to jump in and cut up Universal? I don't understand why any comparison of WDW to Universal is treated with such contempt. It's bad enough when anyone says they wish WDW would be more like Disneyland, but to say WDW should be doing anything like Universal is doing seems to be total blasphemy.

Why would people go to the Universal boards to say they wished WDW would make more new rides like Universal is doing?

What is the harm in wanting more rides and wanting them ASAP, anyway? What is the harm in wishing that all the parks would be putting in more new stuff? :confused3 And why is it that every time someone says they would like WDW to be putting in rides at the speed of Universal, people have to jump in and cut up Universal? I don't understand why any comparison of WDW to Universal is treated with such contempt. It's bad enough when anyone says they wish WDW would be more like Disneyland, but to say WDW should be doing anything like Universal is doing seems to be total blasphemy.

Exactly. And it's like you can't say you love Universal and still love Disney at the same time. Honestly, what got me over to Universal was Potter. I am a Potter-nerd therefore Universal became a place I now must visit. That in no way infringes on my love of Disney, which I have been visiting for many, many years. I also don't see why it's a big deal to compare and contrast different things between the two. But it always turns into rip on Universal and toss out any Disney fans who might also be Universal fans and tell them they don't belong on DIS thing.

As for the "Potter is the $4 Walmart bin" stuff from earlier in the thread I will just say that the movies have no baring on the fact that new readers are beginning their journey with Harry every day. Potter has always and will always be about the books, that is where the hard core fanbase started and will continue to grow. It's why the new Pottermore is such a success and new book designs are being released and new conventions are created and Qudditch is now a college sport and so on and so on(sorry, as a Potter-nerd since the start, there was no way I could not comment. :flower3:)

Well, where do I start. Because Universal is a total Johnny-come-lately? Because half the reason anyone goes there is because of one small land off of one series of books/movies? Because both their Orlando parks don't attract the amount of people in a year that MK does, yet everyone acts like the sky is falling when they open one ride faster than WDW does?! Seriously, if I hear one more time that "Disney should really be nervous because Universal just did _____________," I'm going to lose my mind!!

I'm not saying that Disney fans shouldn't expect excellence from their vacation. (Actually, I do say that, but on a different thread...)

But we don't need to be throwing a different park's strategy into the mix every single time we mention anything that WDW does! I mean, SeaWorld has penguins....Where are Disney's penguins? No one will ever go to WDW again without penguins!

I'm just tired of the fact that every time anything WDW is mentioned...on the DISboards....it turns to how Universal already did that, or is doing that, or will do that..faster, better, bigger. Yet these same people flock to the D-I-S boards day after day. This thread wasn't about Harry Potter!!! It was about the Mine ride and when it might open!

I know why the opening is taking a long time...Disney imagineers are trying to hold off the endless stream of whining and complaining about how it wasn't whatever you wanted it to be/whatever Universal is doing.

Like I said before, I go to WDW 3-4 times a year and have never seen a problem with lack of new rides, etc... In fact, I'm usually irked that a classic has been replaced! (Mr.Toads!!:mad:) Maybe I'm old and stale, too? At 35?

Well, where do I start. Because Universal is a total Johnny-come-lately? Because half the reason anyone goes there is because of one small land off of one series of books/movies? Because both their Orlando parks don't attract the amount of people in a year that MK does, yet everyone acts like the sky is falling when they open one ride faster than WDW does?! Seriously, if I hear one more time that "Disney should really be nervous because Universal just did _____________," I'm going to lose my mind!!

I'm not saying that Disney fans shouldn't expect excellence from their vacation. (Actually, I do say that, but on a different thread...)

But we don't need to be throwing a different park's strategy into the mix every single time we mention anything that WDW does! I mean, SeaWorld has penguins....Where are Disney's penguins? No one will ever go to WDW again without penguins!

I'm just tired of the fact that every time anything WDW is mentioned...on the DISboards....it turns to how Universal already did that, or is doing that, or will do that..faster, better, bigger. Yet these same people flock to the D-I-S boards day after day. This thread wasn't about Harry Potter!!! It was about the Mine ride and when it might open!

I know why the opening is taking a long time...Disney imagineers are trying to hold off the endless stream of whining and complaining about how it wasn't whatever you wanted it to be/whatever Universal is doing.

Like I said before, I go to WDW 3-4 times a year and have never seen a problem with lack of new rides, etc... In fact, I'm usually irked that a classic has been replaced! (Mr.Toads!!:mad:) Maybe I'm old and stale, too? At 35?

Disney does have penguins. Mary Poppins penguins. The costumes don't come out much anymore, but rest assured they ate there! :) lol

Well, where do I start.

Uh, oh......this should be pleasant...;)

Because Universal is a total Johnny-come-lately?

I think Coke thought something like that at one time (and yes, I KNOW Coke is #1....I am not arguing that....think of market share)

Because half the reason anyone goes there is because of one small land off of one series of books/movies?

Oh, man....seriously? I am not even a Potter fan...never was. My wife had read all the books and we agreed we would go see all the movies. It was fascinating, and that is coming from a non-fan. I can't even imagine the world that the books created in people's minds. You really shouldn't be dissing that part, regardless. You've never been there so don't be so quick to put it down. It amazed me, as a non-fan (then). Another small fact about that small series of movies, they have grossed over 7 billion worldwide. Not to mention, the books have been translated in 70 different languages and sold over 500 million copies. Here...this may shed some light on the 4 buck movie in your Wally World bin...http://www.statisticbrain.com/total-harry-potter-franchise-revenue You argue about people bringing up Potter but here you are bringing it up with absolutely no facts...maybe you should drop Potter?

Because both their Orlando parks don't attract the amount of people in a year that MK does, yet everyone acts like the sky is falling when they open one ride faster than WDW does?! Seriously, if I hear one more time that "Disney should really be nervous because Universal just did _____________," I'm going to lose my mind!!

x_zps9eb2c3f6.jpg

And see my market share comment above....

See my comment above about bringing Potter up. And just so you know, there are 20 other sites out there at least that are discussion boards that have to do with Disney. On every single one of those there is a section for all the Orlando theme parks (including Universal). The DIS is no different than any other one, with perhaps the number of members. Everyone talks about all the parks on all of them. Conversations bleed over to other parks in every single one of them. This is nothing new and unusual. Since you seem to be hung up on the word DIS on this particular discussion board allow me to enlighten you....

Dis (transitive verb) 1. slang:to treat with disrespect or contempt 2. slang:to find fault with

:lmao: Oh, the irony.

I follow you...

Nope, not stale yet. Wait until you are 47 and the coolest thing in the last 25 years is a state of the art strobe-lit Yeti. :thumbsup2

Uh, oh......this should be pleasant...;)

I think Coke thought something like that at one time (and yes, I KNOW Coke is #1....I am not arguing that....think of market share)

Oh, man....seriously? I am not even a Potter fan...never was. My wife had read all the books and we agreed we would go see all the movies. It was fascinating, and that is coming from a non-fan. I can't even imagine the world that the books created in people's minds. You really shouldn't be dissing that part, regardless. You've never been there so don't be so quick to put it down. It amazed me, as a non-fan (then). Another small fact about that small series of movies, they have grossed over 7 billion worldwide. Not to mention, the books have been translated in 70 different languages and sold over 500 million copies. Here...this may shed some light on the 4 buck movie in your Wally World bin...http://www.statisticbrain.com/total-harry-potter-franchise-revenue You argue about people bringing up Potter but here you are bringing it up with absolutely no facts...maybe you should drop Potter?

And see my market share comment above....

See my comment above about bringing Potter up. And just so you know, there are 20 other sites out there at least that are discussion boards that have to do with Disney. On every single one of those there is a section for all the Orlando theme parks (including Universal). The DIS is no different than any other one, with perhaps the number of members. Everyone talks about all the parks on all of them. Conversations bleed over to other parks in every single one of them. This is nothing new and unusual. Since you seem to be hung up on the word DIS on this particular discussion board allow me to enlighten you....

Dis (transitive verb) 1. slang:to treat with disrespect or contempt 2. slang:to find fault with

:lmao: Oh, the irony.

I follow you...

Nope, not stale yet. Wait until you are 47 and the coolest thing in the last 25 years is a state of the art strobe-lit Yeti. :thumbsup2

Like I said before... I never knew WDW sucked so bad until Disboards. Too bad to hear... I was actually enjoying everything, until I learned better.

Like I said before... I never knew WDW sucked so bad until Disboards. Too bad to hear... I was actually enjoying everything, until I learned better.

Let's just agree to disagree...this is pretty useless...we both are obviously fond of Disney. That doesn't just go away, regardless of what you think of my position. I do like Disney. I used to love them. That's not something I'm willing to talk to a Doctor about. :) Sometimes we get overzealous...I'm sorry for that.

MichiganDVC said:

Away from the DISboards.

I just want to say that I was talking to DH today and I was telling him the disboards were starting to make me cynical (such as for threads like these). Because I sit and read that the magic isnt there anymore or thos restaurants food is awful or how awful the cm's have become. That last one is disheartening to me because I was a CM in CRO and I loved my job. And I miss it but the boards are starting to make me not miss it even for just a vacation.

I think DH is right I need to find a DA group. (disAddicts Anonymous)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter