• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Services for Mentally Handicapped

LinK

Wishes do come true!!
I have consumers that are interested in visiting WDW. They will be flying from PA. They will need some assistance in getting around. What services does WDW provide or are they on their own.

Is it possible to rent a scooter for their trip. One consumer has a hard time getting around. Currently using a walker. Will need a scooter to navigate WDW. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a Disney Day!:)

Welcome to the disABILITIES Board. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need and we will try to answer.
I'll do the easy question first. It is possible to rent scooters (also called ecvs). They can be rented by the day at each park, but there is a limited supply and there is no guarantee that one will be available. ECVs can also be rented from private companies for a cheaper rate by the week than Disney's daily rate. They will deliver and pick up the ecv at the hotal your clients are staying at. Here are some numbers:
Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

I think I'm missing one, but I'm sure someone will post it.
It would be easiest for them to stay at a WDW hotel. They would be able to ride the bus with the ecv since most of the WDW busses are equipped with lifts.
WDW doesn't provide any assistance in getting around the parks other than asking questions of the CMs that you run across. I have heard about guided tours, but these would be quite expensive. The parks can be confusing and intimidating to get around, especially if it is busy. If your clients have a choice of when they go, they should avoid the busy seasons if at all possible. They will have a much better experience if they go during off season.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

When you say mentally handicapped, I assume that you mean that these people will need some guidance and special assistance. In this case, they should have people travelling with them to help negotiate the parks and resorts. They may be eligible for Guest Assistance Cards if they have medical or mental conditions that would prevent them from being able to tolerate lines, heat, sun, etc.. The GACs are available to any disabled/differently-abled guest and the others in their party. You get one from Guest Services at the entrance to the first park, and it is good for the duration of your stay. I am sure Sue has a good link to the GAC thread. :)

Please feel free to ask questions!

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

I do have a good Guest Assistance Card link for you.
CLICK HERE for link. One of the posts on this link has a link to another thread about GACs.
I'm thinking they mau need to consider taking someone with them to help them figure out everything. It's pretty overwhelming for anyone on their first trip.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

You refer to your friends as consumers. I am a foster parent for DDSD in Oklahoma. My two consumers are mentally impaired and as others have said, you do need to make arragements to have someone go with them. That is an absolute MUST! Getting a G Pass would be helpful, but I'm sure they would not be able to get one on their own since you almost have to know where to go and what to ask for and how.
To find someone that could possibly help in going, could their plan of care include some extra hours for their HTS worker? Perhaps a person from the Orlando area that is with an agency could be hired to go and act as a guide and mentor for the trip. Our local theme park has a couple of specific days just for the disABLED. I don't think that WDW has these days, but perhaps someone could check into it. I hope that your consumers would get the chance to see WDW. I am planning on taking my special needs daughter, my DDSD foster daughter and my son this coming November. All but my foster daughter has been before. I can hardley wait to share the Magic of WDW with her :) Gerri

mick_spin.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter