Seriously - what about those love bugs in May at Vero?

rigsby25

DIS Veteran
We have a trip planned for May 12 - 19 and didn't think of it till just now. I post on the Vero Beach thread on face book, and someone just brought this up!

We have a trip planned for May 12 - 19 and didn't think of it till just now. I post on the Vero Beach thread on face book, and someone just brought this up!
The last time we were there you couldn't go outside or to the pool at all because they were so thick. This was May about 4 years ago and was apparently (locals said) the worst they'd ever seen. This was early May, they happen again in the fall. Usually bad for about a week. I wouldn't avoid going if this was the only negative.

:) We have them on the Gulf Coast too. They are just aggrevating when they are plastered on the front of your car. They do not bite and are not wearing on the nerves to me like gnats or mosquitos. They just float around and when they land on you on occasion they tickle and fly away. They do not buzz or hum and if your eyes are closed you would not know they are there. They are worse some years than others. They are small and gentle...does that mean I look forward to them twice a year---no, but I am glad I am no longer driving a white car :thumbsup2

We were there 2 years ago during the middle of the May and did not encounter a single love bug. There had been a few at WDW but it was really minimal. I think it's just unpredictable.

I have been to Vero Beach one time, and it was last year sometime in the third week of May. The love bugs are not there for the entire month. The scourge apparently lasts for about a week, but the timing of it can vary each year. I have been told that it never occurs after June 1st.

When I went, I was there for four days in a 1BR. And, at the outset, I should say that I think Vero Beach is a fantastic resort, and I very much enjoyed the beach and amenities. With that being said, when we were there, the first 1.5 days we were there was the end of the love bug scourge. Neither my wife nor I are afraid of bugs or bothered by love bugs in isolation. However, this swarm of love bugs over the resort was like something from a horror movie. When we went to the room, the door to our unit was completely covered with them. They were writhing all over it, particularly around the edges. When you opened the door to go inside, no matter how quick you were, dozens and dozens of them would get through and be inside the room. We called the front desk after awhile to see if there was anything they could do. Interestingly, they sent someone who used a vacuum cleaner to suck them all up from around the door. This relieved the problem for a short period, but within an hour more had returned and were writhing all over the door again.

When we first went down to see the pool area, there was not a single person there. The pool in particular seemed to attract them, and you could not possibly have used the pool. If you opened your mouth to breath within 100 feet of the pool, you would suck love bugs into your mouth. As we tried to walk through the area to get to a restroom, you could not take a single step without squishing a pile of them. The water itself was completely covered with the bodies of dead love bugs that had drowned in the water. I have never seen anything more disturbing in my life. The beach was at least tolerable because the ocean breeze seemed to keep too many of them from accumulating, but they were still there and noticeable.

By the end of the second day, we were ready to leave and go home. But, just as we were making preparations to do so, the scourge seemed to suddenly and magically dissipate. They were not all gone immediately, but we could get in and out of our room. By the morning of the third day, we could use the pool and the bugs were barely noticeable. This was extremely fortunate, because we found out over the last two days that we love the resort, and I would definitely come back. But, personally, I would never come back in May.

I am not telling you not to go. Given your dates, they might not show up until after you leave. But, if they do show up, I think you should realize what you are in for. Best of luck...

As a long time Florida resident, there is not much you can do when the swarm. As someone mentioned, it varies from late April to early May and late August to early September. Usually last a few days to a little over a week. They are harmless but annoying. They don't fly with any strength so winds blow them away. That is why the beach is the best place to be.

For some reason, they tend to like the smell of gas and diesel fumes so they are really bad at gas stations (especially the Turnpike rest stops). The most damaging thing is the number they can do on the finish of your car. It is best not to leave the remnants on your hood and grille for a long time.

Guess we are used to them because when they are swarming and I am vacationing, we just cope with it. WDW isn't bad at all. I can see where it would be a problem at Vero.

Yuck!

I had asked this same question numerous times and didn't get much of a response. OP - glad you did.

We had originally planned and had reservations for a week at Vero - in May.. after our cruise. When I started hearing about the possibility of it being "nasty" at Vero I changed our reservation to WDW and now I am really glad I did so.

I love Vero - really loved it and was looking so forward to being there for a week in a one bedroom. However there isn't a whole lot to do other than the beach/pool and general relaxing. Our trip would have been a nightmare if there was a swarm when we were there. Not wanting to risk it is why I moved to WDW. There is so much to do there and it would be much easier to avoid those pesky amorous bugs.

Guess we are used to them because when they are swarming and I am vacationing, we just cope with it. WDW isn't bad at all. I can see where it would be a problem at Vero.
We are in FL also and used to dealing with them but when we were there in May a few years ago, this was Alfred Hitchcock meets love bugs. If you had a screened in porch, you would not have been able to see through the screen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter