seriously considering a move to florida to work at WDW but where to start?

yeah i saw that thread the other day and noticed how supportive everyone was.

yet i'm actually trying to get solid information and i'd never just up and move without a place to live and a job lined up but everyone just keeps pointing out any barrier that may be in my way and essentially telling me i can't overcome them.

i've already overcome so many barriers in my life and i just successfully went to disney world solo when a number of people didn't seem to think i could do that.
i'm beginning to feel the need to prove people wrong but whatever i do it will be my decision and i'll make it in my own time.

yet i'm actually trying to get solid information and i'd never just up and move without a place to live and a job lined up but everyone just keeps pointing out any barrier that may be in my way and essentially telling me i can't overcome them.

i've already overcome so many barriers in my life and i just successfully went to disney world solo when a number of people didn't seem to think i could do that.
i'm beginning to feel the need to prove people wrong but whatever i do it will be my decision and i'll make it in my own time.

I think if she posted for advice people would have had similar things to her. But she already took the plunge. Personally I think you can do it and why not give it a try. Just remember this is a forum with a whole lot of people who don't know each other (for the most part) and say what they think.

However she did have a job lined up, and a place to stay. If you were writing a trip report after you already made up your mind I'm sure people would be supportive too.

Don't let anyone get you down, but some people did give you good advice and we're trying to help.

:hug:

Last edited:
Here is a trip report you might find interesting....girl hired by Disney and the perils moving down to FL

http://www.disboards.com/threads/wi...-for-walt-disney-world.3414134/#post-53741326
Yeah, I saw that. I feel really bad for her, but I agree that it was very impulsive. Something I wouldn't do. DCP? Sure! That's a whole different ball game. Going to live in Orlando in a beat up car, only like $300, and no place to live is a different story.

I think everyone is being supportive because she already made her decision, and there's no use for practical advice anymore. Best of luck to her.

OP, I wouldn't suggest it. I would, however, suggest getting a job that would make you happy in your home town, and then saving up and going to Disney. I love doing that! Feels great. Minimum wage isn't going to cut it, unfortunately. You are not wrong in any way for asking, and I hate to also be a nay-sayer, but I wouldn't consider it the best option atm.

Yeah, I saw that. I feel really bad for her, but I agree that it was very impulsive. Something I wouldn't do. DCP? Sure! That's a whole different ball game. Going to live in Orlando in a beat up car, only like $300, and no place to live is a different story.

I think everyone is being supportive because she already made her decision, and there's no use for practical advice anymore. Best of luck to her.

OP, I wouldn't suggest it. I would, however, suggest getting a job that would make you happy in your home town, and then saving up and going to Disney. I love doing that! Feels great. Minimum wage isn't going to cut it, unfortunately. You are not wrong in any way for asking, and I hate to also be a nay-sayer, but I wouldn't consider it the best option atm.

This is great advise. Since you have never had a job (I think) it would be a good idea to get a job now while you are living with your parents. You can get some experience which should make you a more attractive candidate to Disney. You can save some money for the move and deposit money for apartments. You can see what holding down a job entails before you move far away from your support system.

Good for you for wanting to prove people wrong. And good for you for doing your research before you jump in. And what a great first step to full independence making that solo trip to Disney. I have a daughter with a disability and if we had listened to the experts on everything she wouldn't be able to do, she would be sitting in a corner right now instead of being a very capable adult.

Part of doing that great research that you are doing though is listening to the things that you may not want to hear and then figuring out how you are going to get around them. Being supportive is not just telling you just the good things. I have been following this thread and people have asked some very good questions and have given you some very good answers.

They have offered great advice and lots of things for you to think about. There have been suggestions on things you may want to do more research on, such as exactly what kind of accommodations Disney is required to provide. I agree with the others, and I have had lots of experience here with our daughter, that you don't just suggest accommodations and they comply. They only have to provide reasonable accommodations, key word there is reasonable, and that might mean not working in your desired area.

Have you ever lived on your own before, worked a job where you are on your feet all day, worked a shift job? Have you created a budget and a meal plan to see how far your pay will get you? Do you have lots of experience doing all your own shopping? Not knowing all the extent of your disability, are you comfortable handling all life skills independently? All good questions you have to explore and research. While you know you can do it, it is always nice to know the obstacles that will be in front of you so you can plan how to overcome the obstacles.

My suggestion would be to move out of your parents house with a roommate and try a full time job relying only on public transportation and yourself to see if you are ready to move miles away from your main support system.

I also agree with the others that you need to carefully consider if you want to change your happy place. Working for Disney is going to change all your perceptions about it and it may no longer be your happy place once you know the down and dirty of how it is run. It will no longer be a magical place, but your place of employment.

Last edited:

I think people are just trying to be realistic. You can overcome something, but it doesn't mean the way you want to go about it is realistic. That's just life.

You saying you want to work a ride entrance isn't realistic, and people are telling you why. No ones pooing on your dream because of it. Dreams are all about being roses and sunshine. Reality is much less vibrant.

I think you all have made valid points, but the OP seems intent on doing this, so i say go for it.
Whatever happens, good or bad, is of your own making.

I worked for Disney while in college (went to UCF). They pay you minimum wage and the hrs stink. They did accommodate to my school schedule but I remember working a closing shift and not getting home until 2am then having to be back at work at 7am for opening shift. I worked in POTC as one of the controllers in the room where we monitored the ride for any issues. I also worked as a loader/unloader/ greeter. It is definitely not a happy place to work. I remember seeing new CM's talk about how they are going to the parks on their days off and going to ride all the rides. A week later I ask how they like working there and they say they hate it because the horrible hrs and the way you were treated. They will actually pull you to the side and tell you to smile more. Hard to smile if you are miserable.

When I worked there they gave you 4 tickets a month and you were allowed to enter the park anytime you want and park for free. If you knew someone working at the turnstyles the day you went for free , you would be able to sneak a few friends into the park with you (probably can't do that today but this was 15 years ago). Why don't you get a real job in Orlando where you can make a decent living and just buy an AP.

Last edited:
Also OP, cast deployment means you work all attractions in an area...not just one attraction and greet everyone. You must also rotate with everyone else on the attraction. Your coworkers will not operate the ride while you wave at everyone. also with your disability, how do you expect to check ride height requirements and do fast passes.

Two tattoos, 1 on the middle finger of each hand.
And she already worked there in college program and just had her interview
So now I wonder about that big story of the British Cast member who was sent home for HER tattoos- also small

Also OP, cast deployment means you work all attractions in an area...not just one attraction and greet everyone. You must also rotate with everyone else on the attraction. Your coworkers will not operate the ride while you wave at everyone. also with your disability, how do you expect to check ride height requirements and do fast passes.

The only way we are ever going to get answers to questions like this is if she interviews and Disney lets her know what accommodations they will make for her, and what jobs they have that will fit her skills.

We can all speculate but I think most of us have no idea what Disney would actually do.

But you all don't understand.....due to her disability, companies have to accommodate reasonable requests....good luck with that.

The only way we are ever going to get answers to questions like this is if she interviews and Disney lets her know what accommodations they will make for her, and what jobs they have that will fit her skills.

We can all speculate but I think most of us have no idea what Disney would actually do.

thank you for posting this.
i keep getting these types of questions hurled at me and i'm doing my best to answer them but it seems like my answers are never good enough because the answers i give prompt more questions being hurled at me and then others get annoyed that i'm becoming defensive.

as for the specific questions above i can see so i may be able to handle the height restriction measurements and FP+ system with or without accommodations but i will not know what if any accommodations may be needed unless i speak to disney themselves.

But you all don't understand.....due to her disability, companies have to accommodate reasonable requests....good luck with that.

it would be illegal to not accommodate reasonable requests.

as i said before i knew a completely blind guy that works at one man's dream. obviously disney had to accommodate reasonable requests for him.
i had forgotten that he had also worked in one of the resorts at the front deks. he obviously needed accommodations there as well.

What public transportation is really available? I grew up in So Cal, and we had no car. How would someone leave MK at 2 am and get back at 7 am? Is that possible without a car?

What public transportation is really available? I grew up in So Cal, and we had no car. How would someone leave MK at 2 am and get back at 7 am? Is that possible without a car?
Taxi or carpool or get a ride with someone who is willing to go out of their way to bring you home. Someone with bad vision will not be able to work a ride. You need to meet the requirements. I can see the OP doing housekeeping at a resort or keeping the grounds clean by going around and sweeping. No retail or ticket booth since that requires you to handle $$.

Since you're from Buffalo area, I can understand why you'd want to move away :P. (I went to Buff state haha)

Anyway I don't like regretting things and this would definitely be something you might regret not doing. You may also regret doing it lol, but since you'd only be hurting yourself and not a child or spouse, I think you should go for it. I can't really help with any Disney specific questions, but I will echo the advice others gave that you should have a job before moving, and it should probably just be ANY job you'd like in Orlando. Then you could get a feel for the area, the jobs, the people, the climate... and it might make getting a disney job easier too cause you could be pickier with them or you wouldn't need to worry about waiting a long time to get it. Plus I'm just assuming that a florida zipcode might make it easier. And if you never got that disney job, you'd still have FAR cheaper mini disney vacations since there's no airfare or hotel necessary.

I'm actually thinking about moving to Florida in November. Though I have a full time job that I could work down there, so I wont need to worry about that luckily. I'd love to work for Disney, but I'd only take a full time tech job, preferably web dev, so I know it may never happen or take a looong time. Still, I understand why it's fun to dream about that stuff! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter