September or October?

DisneyDad1257

Earning My Ears
So I have been trhying to plan a trip with my family in 2014. There could possibly be 10 memebers of my family particpating in this trip. I am the planner and master stratagist for this trip also. Everybody seems to jsut be going along with whatever I say which is fine. Most of them have not been to WDW before or it has been a significant amount of time since thier last visit. I have a question regarding which month to visit. I am between Mid September and Mid October.

The planning all along has been to go during the Mid October time frame for several reasons. We wanted to do MNSSHP and F&W. Plus I know the temps are a little cooler and the weather a little better (less rain). Today we found out that my wife will have to attend a trade show in the Orlando area in Mid September. I know that the weather is warmer and the chance of rain higher. I am pretty sure we would not be there for the start of F&W or MNSSHP. However, my wife would get free round trip airfare because of her work paying for that.

I guess my question would be what would you do. Go in October like I have been currently planning or change to September since my wife will allready be there and it would be convenient?

So I have been trhying to plan a trip with my family in 2014. There could possibly be 10 memebers of my family particpating in this trip. I am the planner and master stratagist for this trip also. Everybody seems to jsut be going along with whatever I say which is fine. Most of them have not been to WDW before or it has been a significant amount of time since thier last visit. I have a question regarding which month to visit. I am between Mid September and Mid October.

The planning all along has been to go during the Mid October time frame for several reasons. We wanted to do MNSSHP and F&W. Plus I know the temps are a little cooler and the weather a little better (less rain). Today we found out that my wife will have to attend a trade show in the Orlando area in Mid September. I know that the weather is warmer and the chance of rain higher. I am pretty sure we would not be there for the start of F&W or MNSSHP. However, my wife would get free round trip airfare because of her work paying for that.

I guess my question would be what would you do. Go in October like I have been currently planning or change to September since my wife will allready be there and it would be convenient?

Honestly, this is a question that only you can answer. What is more important to you? Is the monetary savings from the airfare? Or is it better weather? Also, you said this trip could be 10 people, do the rest of the crew actually have no real opinion (or care) about when the trip is? If they don't and it really is only up to you, then again the question is which is your top priority? September would be cheaper but hotter, but also lower crowds, for most of the month you would be able to see MNSSHP. October typically has better weather, but a little higher crowds and has F & W.

Good luck!

I prefer September myself because the crowds are SO much lower. And if it saves you money...so much the better.

BUT...if F&W Festival is important to you and your family then it might be worth waiting until October. Just depends on what will make the best overall experience for the family. Busy parks and long lines frustrate me to no end...but my dad really wanted to do Halloween Horror Nights so we went in October. I still enjoyed the parks but was struck by how much busier it was in October than September. Trips without the rest of the family will definitely be in September for me unless I am going for some specific reason (like the Flower and Garden show at Epcot).

I know it is kind of a question only I can answer. When I say we could have 10 people on the trip I guess I should explain. For sure it is going to be my family and my parents (6 people). We have extended invitaions to DW parents and DW sisters family. They have not committed to the trip yet. My parents are along for whatever we want to do and if the rest of them join us non of them have been to WDW before and I am sure they will just go along with whatever I plan.

I guess I am just looking for some DIS'ers out there that have been to WDW in both Septemeber and October and what do they prefer and why.

As a kid we always went during the summer months when it was crazy hot and crazy busy. When I went last in November of 2011 I loved it becuase of cooler temps and what I thought of as lower crowds.

We would love to go for F&W because we have never done it before and we are the kind of family that likes to try new things.

So I am at a toss up. Do we go with the convience of DW allready being down there for work or just go back in October.

Just looking for some opinions :cool1:

I know it is kind of a question only I can answer. When I say we could have 10 people on the trip I guess I should explain. For sure it is going to be my family and my parents (6 people). We have extended invitaions to DW parents and DW sisters family. They have not committed to the trip yet. My parents are along for whatever we want to do and if the rest of them join us non of them have been to WDW before and I am sure they will just go along with whatever I plan.

I guess I am just looking for some DIS'ers out there that have been to WDW in both Septemeber and October and what do they prefer and why.

As a kid we always went during the summer months when it was crazy hot and crazy busy. When I went last in November of 2011 I loved it becuase of cooler temps and what I thought of as lower crowds.

We would love to go for F&W because we have never done it before and we are the kind of family that likes to try new things.

So I am at a toss up. Do we go with the convience of DW allready being down there for work or just go back in October.

Just looking for some opinions :cool1:

I have never been in September. Only January, February, June and my last trip was from Oct 20th to Nov 2nd.

I picked October because I didn't want it too be too hot or too crowded, but still be hot enough for water parks.

I know it was likely bad luck, but most of the days were REALLY cold. Specially early morning and at night. So if that is a deal breaker for you, I'd go in September.

It was also really crowded. It felt more crowded than June, even though wait times were much better.

I'd probably pick a warmer month next trip as I think I'd prefer to be too hot at times than having to carry a warm jacket every day like I had to in October and still being too cold at times! I hate being hot, but I hate carrying stuff more. Granted, it was not supposed to be so cold, but anything can happen really from Oct to I guess May.

After just returning from a very rainy September trip, I would like to vote for October!! We have done October trips three times before and encountered some rain, but nothing like we had this year in Sept..

I know it can rain anytime, but I'd go with the odds and opt for the cooler temps. I also love f&w, so Oct.! I would try to avoid Columbus Day crowds though.

good luck!

I vote for September! It'll be cheaper for your wife, and there will be less kids there them since Some of the Southern schools have Fall breaks in October.

I've been to both and would definitely take October. I never go in the summer because of the heat but I'll tell you September can be very hot and very humid. Crowds may be a little larger in October but shorter lines in the heat loses for me. It also rained just about every afternoon in September. It didn't last all day but there were significant downpours.

Been in both sept and october; definately vote october for cooler weather. We went to opening weekend of F&W this year and it felt like June during the daytime. When we go back, we'll go at the end of October for F&W.

I don't think the crowds will be noticeably less during September rather than October, except for weekends at Epcot.

We've been both September and October and we would hedge to the September more so... We like the heat. Enjoy using the resort and its pool for lunch pool picnics..... It's always value season, crowds are lower and park hours decent...

October is fine too but I'd stay away from Halloween due to more guests .....MNSSHP is nice but for us a one time deal... Seen it time to move on... F&W... Not interested in that either... We don't try food we're unaccustomed to, especially on vacation and drinks around will send ya to the poor house...

With your wife getting free transportation, I'd go with the September month, more towards the middle and end, and have a ball !

October would be my vote, we were there Oct 21-26. By far the best time EVER I have had in the world.

-Weather was great only a little rain on 25 and little on 26th (but this was due to Sandy going up coast) We used pool 3 times during the trip.

-My opinion also, I believe MNSSHP is way better than MVMCP. The parade is fantastic and the setting is great.

-F&W is awesome too great little samples from around the world.

-And I believe the crowds were not bad at all, we never waited anymore than 10 min for a ride

(Trying to talk my in-laws into swapping '13 trip from Dec to Oct)

Hope this helped

Thank you so much for everybody responding to my question.

I know that I want to go during October but I am still going to throw the option out to the other people in my party. My wife says she doesn't really care but the cost effective side of my says "Hey stupid, you should take advantage of the free airfare."

I've been going back and forth about when to go next year. I think we've settled on a compromise. We are going at the very end of September into the first week of October. That way, we get MNSSHP and F&W.

Are you sure that you would miss MNSSHP if you go in Sept? It actually may start that early, you might want to double check.

Otherwise, I agree with the consensus here about the pros and cons of Sept. vs. Oct. Hotter, more rain, and fewer people in September versus slightly cooler but still summery weather (but drier) but a few more crowds in Oct. We've done both and prefer October, but to each his own.

One more consideration. A few years ago we went in Sept. about a week earlier than you are considering and we barely dodged a hurricane. We made out fine, but it was stressful watching the track of the storm and knowing that it might seriously affect our trip. I think I got an ulcer from the stress of it.

We went Oct 20-27 this year....just a few short weeks ago:thumbsup2 It was a great time to go! The weather was perfect. It was warm (mid 80's) but very low humidity (if any at all). We only had about an hour of rain on the 25th while we were shopping at Epcot. The crowds werent bad at all.
We took advantage of being at the parks at rope drop and got tons done. We also attended MNSSHP for the first time and had a blast. We are not drinkers or into trying different foods, so F&W was no draw for us. We avoided Epcot on the weekends.
I would definately vote for Oct.

Either!

We went the last week of September last year and got to do MNSSHP and the first day of F&W. It was an awesome vacation. Even got free dining! Which, came in handy for snacks at the F&W fest.

Are you sure that you would miss MNSSHP if you go in Sept? It actually may start that early, you might want to double check.

Otherwise, I agree with the consensus here about the pros and cons of Sept. vs. Oct. Hotter, more rain, and fewer people in September versus slightly cooler but still summery weather (but drier) but a few more crowds in Oct. We've done both and prefer October, but to each his own.

One more consideration. A few years ago we went in Sept. about a week earlier than you are considering and we barely dodged a hurricane. We made out fine, but it was stressful watching the track of the storm and knowing that it might seriously affect our trip. I think I got an ulcer from the stress of it.

You can definitely catch MNSSHP in later September

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter