• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September Hurricanes?

Laura_Lewis

Mouseketeer
We are planning our 9th trip but this time at the end of September (21st - 30th) for the first time. My husband is now very worried about hurricanes - should I be worried? I wasn't until he started :)

TIA

Hurricanes are very unpredictable. Two of the worst that I experienced were in September and October. Buy trip insurance if you are worried! :) There's no way to make a 100% safe prediction.

if it makes you feel any better I think Disney has closed exactly three times since it opened for a Hurricane. I think with the worst one it might have been closed for 2 days. We have been going the third week of September for the past 10 years and have only had to even wear our ponchos once(which was for half a day last year). We actually carried the same ponchos in their original packaging for 9 straight years without opening them.

Weather is unpredictable but totally not worth stressing out about because there is nothing you can do to control it.

DH and I went September 2010. The weather was spectacular. Very warm with very little rain. However, there is nothing you can do about hurricanes. WDW has a policy for refunding your money due to hurricanes. You may want to check into this, and into trip insurance. Our weather in September was fantastic!!

When going in September, I would say be sure to get the trip insurance.. it isn't just the resort you will be worried about, but if going by air, you will have to see about some insurance on that too..if possible. Yes, September is actually peak hurricane season in Fl. You can never tell what it will be like. It can be very active, or nothing at all. Sure, some will say they had perfect weather, and most of the time it is, but remember, it only takes one hurricane during your trip cause headaches and delays... Trust me, I have lived in FL for over 20 years and have seen many beautiful Septembers.. and also storms too.. in August, September and October... One can never tell :scared1:

We went during Hurricaine Jeanne, in 2004 I think? We stayed off site, and the hotel did go on lockdown for a day or two, but we made the best of it.

The BEST part about it was we were actually able to do more than we would have in good weather. Everyone flew home before the bad weather and/or were not able to fly in. The parks were empty!!! :thumbsup2

I don't thnk I would PLAN a vacation knowing that there would be a hurricaine (and frankly I could go my whole life without every seeing another one) but living through it in Disney wasn't so bad.

We went Sept 30-Oct 3 this past fall. Never had been to FL in fall. Loved it so much we are returning for Columbus weekend. Agree with others.. Don't stress but trip insurance may not be a bad idea if flying. I didn't get it last time, but with 7 of us going this time, may make sense. Have a great trip!

The thing with the insurance is.. it may be ok if the storm hits while there, but if it hits the day you are to arrive or leave is another story. That is when the trip insurance will come in handy. That is when the headaches, and delays start. If you planned on being home for work, but the airports are closed.. you cannot get out. Your hotel ressie is up, you have no hotel.. Disney or any other hotel is not obligated to keep you, and worst yet, if you have a discounted rate, they keep you, it will be at rack rate. These are the things you must look at, not just that the parks will be empty once they open up. Sure they will be empty once they open back up, sure you can make the best of it.. but and a big but is if it hits on your arrival or departure day...it is not a fun thing.. Airports/roads can be closed for several days too... just something to think about when deciding on trip insurance...;)

We have traveled several times now in September. Always been great. Once we caught a tropical depression but it just rained and cleared up more often for a day. No biggie when in Disney!!
Free dining is so worth it to me! :goodvibes

Went in August, 2008 I think. A tropical storm just sat over Orlando several days. While it was unanticipated, we made the best of it. I plan to go again this August. If it rains, or anything else, I am determined to relax, enjoy myself, my loved ones and WDW. :goodvibes

I have been twice in September. The first time, no problems flying in and out (2009), the second time (2011) we were diverted to Tampa to refuel due to a storm (not a hurricane, just a thunder storm) but we were only 30-45 min late landing. Flying out we had issues with a thunder storm as well, but a mechanical issue is what really set us back (1.5 hours).

I think that thunder storms would be more of a problem as weather in Florida is very unpredictable.

I agree with getting insurance. Not sure what kind of insurance they have in the US, but here in BC, Canada, when you buy trip cancellation, you also get trip interruption so if you needed to extend your trip a couple of days, no problem.

Get insurance protection for hurricanes June through early October. The worst ones I have seen through the last decade were in September.

Of course I have it regardless in those months when we are in Texas, just in case we have a storm at home or in FL. Would be terrible to have to deal with the loss at home plus lose out on trip expenses because you can't go.

NEVER think you can ride one out :sad2:

Weather can affect any trip, any where, at any time. Go have a great time.

Im going to WDW September 23rd to October 5th. I know its hurricane season. I live in the UK and have spent a lot of money on this holiday but you cant help the weather. If it happens it happens. :confused3 (obviously I am also hoping the weather isnt bad :sunny: )

Dont stress yourself out, just go and enjoy it :thumbsup2

Sure it is a concern...I wouldn't stress about it though. Hurricaine Season runs from June-November..Sept is just the peak of the season.There are alot of things you can stress about ,but the weather is just one thing you can spend months worrying about and you simply can not change.Realx and roll with it, even if a hurricane happens, Disney is really good about it .Everything will be fine:goodvibes

Im going to WDW September 23rd to October 5th. I know its hurricane season. I live in the UK and have spent a lot of money on this holiday but you cant help the weather. If it happens it happens. :confused3 (obviously I am also hoping the weather isnt bad :sunny: )

Dont stress yourself out, just go and enjoy it :thumbsup2

Your dates are just about my favorite time to go to WDW. Great weather, not broiling hot like summer, and the start of Food & Wine at Epcot and MNSSHP at MK.

We lived in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale for 25 years. The best thing I can tell you is, if there hasn't been a big hurricane by Labor Day (end of first week of Sept.), there probably won't be one. Plus, Orlando is inland, at around the center of Florida. Hurricanes are about devastating damage to the coast. Sure, you'll have winds and rain, but not the raging storm that the coast will experience.

We were just there this past August for Hurricane Irene. The storm was supposed to hit us, but instead that day was the BEST of the whole vacation lol! Not one drop of rain. However, we were delayed getting home b/c the storm was hitting NY and we couldn't fly home. Luckily I had trip insurance and it covered everything that extra day we were there. My advice is to save EVERY receipt from EVERY purchase on those covered days. They cover all meals, snacks, hotel, car rental, and such. I got every penny I spent on those items and it didn't take long for them to send the check either. I have another trip planned this September. We never go without insurance on any of our trips. Good Luck.

Get trip insurance if you're really worried.

We went in September 2006-2010 for free dining and are going again this year. DH and I got married (outside ceremony, reception at a location on the water in VA) in September 2011... less than two weeks after Irene hit. We bought the insurance for the wedding but we've never purchased trip insurance.

Beautiful weather every year! If you're worried buy insurance though. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter