• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September airfares to Orlando

aussie shaz

DIS Veteran
Hi. I know there's a few September departures this year.

Just wondering approx prices for a flight through to Orlando. We would probably stay one night on the way home in LAX, but otherwise, just Orlando.

I read on here when everyone was excited about the Qantas sale, so guessing January is when specials would be released. When I check on prices on the Qantas website it's about $2800 pp:rotfl:

Not going until 2014, but need to know in advance when things will be released, approx costs etc.

Also, has anyone ever done free dining at WDW? If so, what months was it available?

Also, is there ever any specials for the Disney hotels? Would it ever be cheaper than what shows on the Disney website?

Thnks for all your advise. Will be following closely everyone's WDW planning and trip reports:coffee:

AussieShaz - I know I checked the Qantas sale for flights to Orlando. On day 1 of the sale, they were showing as $1600 return; with one stop. The last day for flying is Sep 13 on this recent sale; so depending on what date you put it, you might be outside this sale dates.

I know AirNZ did offer sale pricing in December or so. Someone else could help you with how much the pricing to Orlando was on their sale.

I've gotten return flights on a United/AA combination from Orlando for around $1300; but that was in 2010. I think my brother has gotten flights on VAustralia for around $1250 that same year.

I haven't seen VAustralia offer discount fares to the US yet.

I've never taken up FD. Aussies cannot stack offers the way the Brits can. So, I think I had a choice between FD or a room-only discount. When I checked the numbers for my family, the room-only discount was a better deal c.f. paying rack rate and FD. You would need to run the numbers to see which one is better for your family. I think you might find that if Disney were to offer a discount for September, they might come out with it March'ish?

There are also usually discounts for Disney hotels. I've always found the Disney website to be equivalent; but then I've never bought Disney on-site hotels from expedia or other hotel sites. Perhaps one of the others might be able to help. I believe that WDW accommodation is tightly controlled by Disney; so when they offer a deal, that's when everyone else goes on sale.

The DisBoards usually goes a-buzz with rumours of when the discounts are available. So, if you keep an eye out on the planning boards, you might get a couple of days advance notice.

Hope this helps.

It's always interesting to read about airfare deals in Australia. It seems that airlines run quite a different system to what they do here in NZ. They're either really expensive, or they're on sale and are really cheap.

Here in NZ, they tend to sit around the middle, increasing in price as the date nears or decreasing if a sale is offered. Because sales are rarely offered over school holidays, I usually book as soon as fares are released.

Anyway, that unhelpful insight aside, this website might give you some info about historical discounts.
http://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/
You'll notice that no free dining was offered this Jan/Feb for the first time in a few years, and there is rumors that Disney is trying to phase out free dining altogether. Of course, who knows what rumours are true and which aren't, but I probably wouldn't rely on the free dining as a definite.

I am renting DVC points through a broker for my stay and it is the only way I could ever justify paying for a deluxe resort (it makes the deluxe rates roughly 60% less).

Thanks for that info. I will keep my eyes open for any specials that might come up for this year, and then it might give me an idea what will be available for next year.
I didn't even think that specials wouldn't be available on school holidays. I guess that's pretty obvious though! My eldest son starts year 7 next year, so I'm not sure how things will work to take them out of school during the term. I might have to ask a few questions of the school. It's much easier for me to get holidays outside of school holidays and haven't worried while they've been in primary school. I just don't want them to miss anything important.

Re Free dining. I don't think we are the type of family who would get the most out of a dining plan, so it doesn't really matter. Do you know if booking with WDW is the same as Disneyland....if you book a room at rack rate, can you get the discounted rate if it becomes available for your dates?

Airfares are funny, aren't they. I can't believe a normal fare to Orlando is $2800, then they can come out with a special of say $1400 or $1500. It's ridiculous.

I've never stayed on site at DLR. There are so many other options close by for much less money. Its a personal preference.

But I believe that the same thing holds at DLR. If a discount comes out, then you can ring Disney and get them to apply the discount.

I've never stayed on site at Disneyland either, but I read posts about applying a special if it comes out later. I guess if you book through some other website/agency, you are locked into whatever price you book at. I nearly always book direct anyway, so would probably do it this way.

aussie shaz said:
I've never stayed on site at Disneyland either, but I read posts about applying a special if it comes out later. I guess if you book through some other website/agency, you are locked into whatever price you book at. I nearly always book direct anyway, so would probably do it this way.

I think Disney's cancellation policies are pretty fair. If they don't let you change your booking, you could always cancel and rebook.
I've been following the specials for a few years now, whilst dreaming and scheming about this holiday, and I noticed that Art of Animation (Little Mermaid rooms) and POFQ don't seem to get the same specials that other resorts get. I think it's because their popularity and size ensure they book out without the need for a special rate. Just thought that this might be worth knowing when you come to pick your resort.

The choice about whether or not to pull your kids out of school is always a tough (and very personal) one. I think a consideration just as important as their age is how well they're doing in school. As a teacher, it does make me cringe when parents take kids who are way behind academically out of school for long periods.
In saying that, I'm pulling my son from school for 8 days prior to his school holidays. I'm not worried about this as he's doing well in school, and also, a short holiday away can benefit kids in ways that a classroom never could.

Good luck with your decision and with your planning. The planning is all part of the fun :-)

We just booked our flights For Nov/Dec with Qantas for just over $2300. That includes Melb To LA, LA to Orlando, Orlando to NY, NY to LA and LA to Melb. All direct flights.

We did free dining back in 2010 which was for October. I noticed last year Free Dining was announced around August for the months October through to just before Christmas.

We always book through Dreams Unlimited and the search and automatically apply for any discounts or free dining when they are announced at no extra charge. Thye just send you an email advising of the change. Their prcies are the same as with booking direct on the Disney website. They will also book your ADR's and anything else you want to do again at no extra charge.

Thanks for all that info.

WanderlustNZ, it's good to know that AoA doesn't usually have specials. That's where I'm planning on staying for at least some of the time. Now I know not to budget on any discounts.

DizOz, thanks for the info on free dining and Dreams Unlimited. I probably would have booked direct, but will look into DU. It's great that they do all the legwork for you.

Not sure when we'll get to go. I asked work about getting holidays in September/October 2014, and because someone else has 3 months long service leave over that ime, they said No. I won't give up so easily though, because I really want to go at Halloween time.

We just booked our flights For Nov/Dec with Qantas for just over $2300. That includes Melb To LA, LA to Orlando, Orlando to NY, NY to LA and LA to Melb. All direct flights.

That sounds like what we want to do in 2015. Did you book yourself or via a travel agent?

aussie shaz said:
Not sure when we'll get to go. I asked work about getting holidays in September/October 2014, and because someone else has 3 months long service leave over that ime, they said No. I won't give up so easily though, because I really want to go at Halloween time.

What a pain. You'd think giving so much notice you'd be fine. Good luck changing their minds. I'm like you, I think Halloween time at WDW looks great. And the funny thing is, I hate Halloween here in NZ.

DizOz said:

Omg... Trying for fares in dec/jan and qantas and virgin just for syd/la are over $3k!!

That sounds like what we want to do in 2015. Did you book yourself or via a travel agent?

Lewdannie

I used a TA here in Australia. I tried using Qantas' website to get an idea of cost but for some reason for the Orlando to NY leg it wanted to take me via Gatwick (England) and total cost for the 4 of us was $50K.

So I emailed TA who usually only does corporate travel but as he is related to DW and I have given him all our company travel for the past 5 years he also does our personal travel as well. I went back and re-read his email last night with the quote and that includes their charges etc which he said he will waive so the cost will be even lower. :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

I got Qantas Bne to Orlando and then New York Bne for around $1500 return for this September. That is direct flights to LA and direct flights in the US. Still happy dancing b

areweindisneyyet said:
I got Qantas Bne to Orlando and then New York Bne for around $1500 return for this September. That is direct flights to LA and direct flights in the US. Still happy dancing b

Great deal AWIDY!

I know, I was rubbing my eyes to make sure that the pixie dust was not telling me that was one way but no, have those pretty little tickets in my hand. :cool1::cheer2:pixiedust:

I'm starting to worry about flight prices for end of September. We fly out 22 Sept from Hobart to New York then to Orlando and home. At the moment we are looking at $15000 for 5 adults return. We don't have any flexibility in flight dates.

I am not paying $15000 for flights that's outrageous, we paid $10,000 2 years ago but at this time of the year last time the prices were much lower.

I will have to seriously rethink the holiday if prices don't come down :scared:

:flower3:

We have gone to the USA in Sept several times, never paying more than $1300 per adult return flight.

In Aug 2010 we booked WDW and got free dining for Sept 2011 (late night web surfing paid off that night). Our flights for that trip were from Perth into LA but home from Dallas - cost $1050per adult - absolute bargain! We would not usually do the dining plan as we have two of our kids over 10yo and paying adult prices is not good value so free worked perfectly for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter