September 30, 2012 - "To San Francisco and Beyond"

Looks like I just got my stateroom, Deck 2 aft.. I most likely will be asking to upgrade, anyone think its worth it? Was a pretty good deal to get this cabin, but not sure if its worth it to upgrade to something else? Anyone with any upgrade exp?

KC

I don't know if you said, but is your current cabin an inside or outside stateroom? If you are currently in an inside standard... the inside deluxe has a split bath, an upgrade would be very worth it to us. If your current stateroom is an inside deluxe... you could look at moving to an outside. I rather like windows and verandas, My BFF and her family upgraded to a veranda on their Alaska cruise this summer, and we're happy with the upgrade cost/value.

I was reading up on this a month ago, and there's a lot of info here on the DIS about when/how to upgrade and what to expect. First check in, then you go to another counter and check on an upgrade. They have a chart and look up you original stateroom category and can tell you the upgrade cost to move to another catagory. Cost is reportedly 1/2 to 1/3 what it would cost to upgrade in advance.

Hope this helps. If you want more detail, I can give you the links to the threads/post I read on upgrading :-)

Lise

Thanks for info! I looked at the navigators and I am nervous about missing AP show dinner so changing plans and not doing twilight rate at Presidio. It is too pricey during the day so now I am thinking Golden Gate Park golf course. My only concern is they dont take reservations. Thanks for the tip though and we will definitely do public transportation. San Francisco rental cars and parking are expensive. In SD we call the mark up the Sunshine tax! First looked into renting a car but it was almost 90/day for the cheapest car. Our first day we are taking the ferry to Vallejo to visit my cousin and renting a car. It was only 28/day in Vallejo.Luckily, my cousin said they will lend us a car so now we don't have to rent one. We will visit the Wallaby yogurt factory, have lunch with my cousin and then go see the Mission San Francisco de Solano. Then try to get back in time for the last ferry. I am thinking early am golf the second day and then walk around Fishermans Wharf. San Francisco is the one part of the cruise we are most excited about. Been to Ensenada before and my hubby doesn't even want to get off the ship. And we'll, we live in SD so will probably spend time on ship there too. Thanks again, silvrstrfx!

Where are the navigators everyone is talking about? Are they from one of the first two Pacific Coast/Pixar cruises?!

I haven't been reading posts faithfully and have obviously missed something interesting! I have NO QUALMS about reading the navigators ahead of time...somebody, please, point me in the right direction.;)

Where are the navigators everyone is talking about? Are they from one of the first two Pacific Coast/Pixar cruises?!

I haven't been reading posts faithfully and have obviously missed something interesting! I have NO QUALMS about reading the navigators ahead of time...somebody, please, point me in the right direction.;)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2992339&page=9

This is a link to the page, there a couple of posts in. be sure to read the while thread though its very informative about the pixar cruises!! :yay:

SUPER EXCITED!!!! I still haven't booked transportation to/from the airport but I've still got a few days. Worse case scenario there's always public transit and taxis :rotfl:

It's hard to believe that in 4 days at this time I'll be on plane #1!! We booked this cruise instead of travelling to Peru when they turned it into a pixar cruise and i don't regret the change whatsoever. Both would have/are going to be amazing!

:cool1:

4 more days! 4 more days!

SUPER EXCITED!!!! I still haven't booked transportation to/from the airport but I've still got a few days. Worse case scenario there's always public transit and taxis :rotfl:

It's hard to believe that in 4 days at this time I'll be on plane #1!! We booked this cruise instead of travelling to Peru when they turned it into a pixar cruise and i don't regret the change whatsoever. Both would have/are going to be amazing!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have to book transportation from the airport to our hotel the night before we sail away. I did finally book our transport back to the airport.

I also need to start packing. Who knew getting three kids ready to spend a week at home without you (a friend is staying with them) would be harder than packing for all of us to go on a cruise. :confused3

I'm so excited to start this trip!

Just read on another thread about major road closures in LA on the 405 this weekend. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/23/carmageddon-2-la-prepping-freeway-closure_n_1907578.html

I'm probably being paranoid but we are driving down to Oceanside to visit our dd and her hubby on Saturday. We really need to be there. Our SIL is a Marine and was injured in Afghanistan 3 years ago. Long story short, his leg was badly mangled and after several surgeries, treatments, appliances, they have decided this week that they are probably going to amputate. He's been in pain for years and they have discovered a slow growing infection. He's never regained decent mobility in his knee and the scar tissue is making that impossible. The infection pretty much seals the deal though. They are meeting with the surgeon on Thursday. There's talk of them doing the surgery next week. My dd is in nursing school so she will probably drop out this session and pick it back up in 3 months. Lots of things going on in their household and I really want to be there with them when we are down there.

Anyway, if you were planning on using the 405, make other route plans and allow for traffic. Don't want anyone missing the boat.

Linda

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have to book transportation from the airport to our hotel the night before we sail away. I did finally book our transport back to the airport.

I also need to start packing. Who knew getting three kids ready to spend a week at home without you (a friend is staying with them) would be harder than packing for all of us to go on a cruise. :confused3

I'm so excited to start this trip!

I am trying to get everything in order for my kids and husband. I am making them a schedule to follow while I am gone
E

MAking sure all the laundry is washed and the fridge stocked with food.
There was a last minute boy scout camp out scheduled for this weekend, my husband was trying to make sure that there are enough parents to cover since he has to be home for daughter and dogs.

I am trying to get everything in order for my kids and husband. I am making them a schedule to follow while I am gone
E

MAking sure all the laundry is washed and the fridge stocked with food.
There was a last minute boy scout camp out scheduled for this weekend, my husband was trying to make sure that there are enough parents to cover since he has to be home for daughter and dogs.

Yep, got the excel sheet done with the cheer schedule, dance schedule, tennis schedule.... Last night, I put together 8 freezer to crock pot meals, stocked up on cookies and crackers and there are 3 Subways in this small town...they should be good.:thumbsup2

Linda

Yep, got the excel sheet done with the cheer schedule, dance schedule, tennis schedule.... Last night, I put together 8 freezer to crock pot meals, stocked up on cookies and crackers and there are 3 Subways in this small town...they should be good.:thumbsup2

Linda

LOL, Subway is actually on the other side of the base...I didn't think about that. I've been baking, cooking, washing....then I'm going to be enjoying, enjoying, enjoying. We haven't gone away together sans kids since the oldest (11) was born. I'm certain we will miss them, but I'm really excited for DH & I to have some time for ourselves.

I don't know if you said, but is your current cabin an inside or outside stateroom? If you are currently in an inside standard... the inside deluxe has a split bath, an upgrade would be very worth it to us. If your current stateroom is an inside deluxe... you could look at moving to an outside. I rather like windows and verandas, My BFF and her family upgraded to a veranda on their Alaska cruise this summer, and we're happy with the upgrade cost/value.

I was reading up on this a month ago, and there's a lot of info here on the DIS about when/how to upgrade and what to expect. First check in, then you go to another counter and check on an upgrade. They have a chart and look up you original stateroom category and can tell you the upgrade cost to move to another catagory. Cost is reportedly 1/2 to 1/3 what it would cost to upgrade in advance.

Hope this helps. If you want more detail, I can give you the links to the threads/post I read on upgrading :-)

Lise

Sorry, Outside stateroom.. Usually we go with a Verandah but the price on this one was too hard not to pass up :) Thanks for the advice, we will be checking to see how much it will be to upg to a verandah.

P.S. - Found the upgrade thread in the main forum :)

I've been dragging my feet on this as well... Finally getting it done today. Heads-up: I was told by the place I'm about to book with that they're filling up fast for the weekend due to a freeway closure. I don't get that really but there ya' go.... Just wanted to say it's time to book soon/don't delay :-)

As an aside, I've decided to go w/ At Your Service Limos (http://yourservicelimos.com/). This was at the recommendation of a guy we've used in our hometown who we really liked- he doesn't know that company personally but he called around for me after looking at Yelp reviews and said they seemed good. I'm looking at just over $200 for my family of 4, including "meet and greet" and 2 booster seats. Not cheap by any means but it is $40+ less than the shared transport DCL offers and I have a lot of anxiety over the whole transportation thing so worth it to me for peace of mind.

For those folks wanting to do alcatraz..

http://www.alcatraztickets.com/

book ahead of time on here, its cheaper and you are guaranteed a spot.. I Highly HIGHLY recommend the sunset cruise around the bay, fantastic..

I lived in the bay area my entire life, so I have done almost everything :P If anyone has any questions feel free to bounce them off me! :)

For those wanting wine tours without using the DCL option :

I have heard a ton of good things about this company :

http://greendreamtours.com/

Parents went and said it was worth every penny.. :P Only 109 a person and they hit a ton of places and its a tour as well.. :) You get a picnic lunch included at the Larson winery, Wine tastings, chocolate.. Reviews looks stellar...

For our return home, I'm wondering if 11am is a good time to have the car service pick us up at the port? We don't have to be to LAX till 2:30pm so there's a lot of wiggle room on both ends...

I've booked shuttles to and from the airport online without any problems. However, I need to get from the ship to a Good Neighbor hotel in Anaheim on the Sunday we get back. Anyone else doing the same? What transportation are you using? Thanks!

I've booked shuttles to and from the airport online without any problems. However, I need to get from the ship to a Good Neighbor hotel in Anaheim on the Sunday we get back. Anyone else doing the same? What transportation are you using? Thanks!

I saw on the posted navigators that there is a shuttle service from the ship to the Disneyland resort area.. I thought it said it leaves the port at 10am.

KimnChris said:
I saw on the posted navigators that there is a shuttle service from the ship to the Disneyland resort area.. I thought it said it leaves the port at 10am.

Oh that sounds good. Maybe I'll just wait then and check in at GS at some point. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter