September 3, 2005 --- Who is going?

Does anyone know if we have to go thru US immigration in St THomas, we did in April and it took about forever, even if you were not getting off the ship you had to.

ITDJBW....

May I enquire who the Nora thing is... I assume it's an author - but what type of novels (and what is the author's full name) - sorry to be such a pain. And you're not alone on the packing thing - except we did get some packing done - but not quite half done - which may not be a good thing.

On another note - the adverse weather forecast from NOAA with the LEE storm was released for 11PM EST. AND by my reckoning it shows the 5 day track. And........ if this thing is going to be THAT darn FAR AWAY at sea in 5 days then it would have to have a tremendous change in speed to even approach our region. SO I would like to declare we are going to embark without incident from LEE - and I/m sorry but I don't think I'll be jumping into the Magic pool after all - unless someone tricks me into a pool jumping dare by other means. :goodvibes

The map http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/205423.shtml?basin?large shows LEE still EAST of the extreme eastern Carribean islands! So if it stays that far away - or so long as the edge of the disturbance stays at least 50 miles away from P.C. on Saturday we're OK. :wizard:

well td #13 looks to be no threat to our fun next weekend, they appear to be talking about a sharp northerly turn and dissipation, wooo hoo. even on its current track it should miss us and be headed to bermuda.

but i'm making an audible due to katrina, looks like that name will be retired pretty quickly after making the rotation, we'll be taking the northern route instead of the coastal route. i don't want to get caught up in traffic returning to their homes. i sure pray that everyone's families are safe and that she weakens a bunch before hitting land. but with our planned hotel for thursday just east of pensacola, i'm going to move a bit more inland and look around the macon area. we are trying to be a little ambitious so that we can get to cocoa and get some beach time on friday. plus i hear ron jon calling me.

itdjbw - i asked that earlier and was told that yes we all had to go through immigration for entry into st thomas, an early start to our excursion day. last year i thought read on here that we didn't, just the foreigners, but the answer earlier was affirmative.

we are going to do the ferry over and rent a car on st john. we can save a little money on the rental at cruz bay, and it will be less time driving on the wrong side. we just want to get out to trunk bay, maybe the next beach, but reading about trunk makes it seem so fun. and i want to get my national park passport stamped down there.

i don't know if rachel will do the jr ranger program now or not, she seems to have a good time while doing it, but then acts like it is no big deal to her. maybe the announcement over pa was too much for her at mammoth cave.

Pogopossum, where are you in Texas - Dallas/FtWorth? I had planned to drive out from San Antonio across I-10 on Thursday after work, but got concerned that there might be flooding or bridge damage along the route, not to mention the "returning home" traffic you mentioned. I'm not too concerned about weather conditions, more concerned about infrastructure conditions, availability of fuel, etc. I've booked a direct flight for Friday as a backup, but I would really prefer to drive it if I thought I could get there without having to detour several hundred miles out of the way.

Here's a photo of the 14' dinghy -it takes up to 8 passengers. http://offshorevi.com/caribe-c14console.html

And the 12' takes 5 passengers
http://offshorevi.com/caribe-c12.html

Yeah.... I know... i'm trolling to generate tag along interest. Well... if anyone is curious at least they can see what the boats look like. I heard the alternative of renting a 20' power boat is $350 for the day and you have to get a permit that costs $20 pp. Not entirely sure I can believe what was posted there.

C14 w/Console

I use to live in West Monroe Louisianna. It is actully quicker to go through Macon and then down into Florida.

Wow, the thread has been busy since yesterday.

I am just popping in to say Good-Bye! :wave2:
I am going to try to get in to see the dentist soon, then by 12pm we are off to the airport.

See you all on Saturday, I know my boys are very anxious to meet their new e-mail buddies, and I can't wait to meet the group :teeth:

Good luck at the dentist Mary. Have a safe trip, and Tyler can't wait to meet Tommy. See ya on Saturday.

Captaincrash, Nora is Nora Roberts. She is an author of highly intelluctual books, well maybe just good ole romance books. She also writes under the name JD Robb, and those books take place in the future. She is my favorite author.

Also captain, your plan for St John sounds fun. We, however, I believe are heading to Coral World based on recommendations and then to the beach next to it. Has anyone here been there? We are also planning on trying to find Blackbeard's Castle. Tyler is very into pirates and I heard it is on St Thomas. Anyone know anything else about it?

Tyler is thrilled that he only has to go to school 4 days this week since we leave on Friday. And I really need to get started packing. I have a list but it doesn't really do any good unless I start putting it into action.

Robyn

hey bill,

yeah, we're in the dfw area (wdw side), it's a little different when you don't have to drive 3 - 5 hours north to avoid the damage. i had already planned a detour around escambia bay in pensacola, due to last year's damage to the bridge, still under repair. i just heard that an oil rig blew into the mobile bay causeway, don't know the damage there, it's going to be quite a mess down there for a few weeks. one cool thing, i had enough hilton points to get a free room in macon, so things have a way of working out better.

just saw the 3 am nhc report and td 13 looks like she is just going on to the north away from the islands. just keep on trucking lee, right on away from our fun, you are not invited.

poohbl,

it used to be quicker for us that way, but with 49 cut through to lafayette, it works out faster to cut down to 10 and go across the coast. plus i just have to get closer to the beach faster. it just draws me. :sunny:

Just got back from the doc in the box: have a really bad ear infection. Antibiotics and a steroid pack but with flying every day this week I have little hope that it's going to be better by Sat.

In the grand scheme of things it isn't that big of a deal (maybe Mary will share her Vicodin) but couldn't it have waited. Waaaaaaa.

P

I am so sorry to hear about your ear infection. I hope the antibiotics start working soon so you will be all well for the cruise. You sound like you need a vacation more than anyone.

I really need to start packing right now. But I just can't stand packing. Maybe I will wait a little longer.

Robyn

Robyn....

Thanks for the clearification on Nora ROberts... I have to return a bunch of things to the library by tomorrow and I'll see if I can pick up one of these in paper back format for my spouse (couldn't hurt to sprinkle a little romance ideas to mix with the pixie dust in our trip!). The furutreistic (sci fi?) stuff I'll glance for - however the sci fi apaer back section is modest.

So on the St John Dinghy idea... it is just sort of a concept. In the past we just taxied to Megans bay and Orient Beach. This year we wanted to do things a little different. On St Thomas we stayed at the Ritz for a few days once - it was a spiff from my spouse's company - and on another occasion we did an island tour. SO - there you have it - anything else on St Thomas we are game for. We have a rental car reserved in St Thomas and St Maarten. We thought the cost was about the same but we would have a little more freedom to explore but more headache to park.

So - we also were considering the Sapphire Beach and Coral World idea for some of St Thomas. And for St Maarten we were goig to do the butterfly farm and a beach other than Orient Beach. I've forgotten which one we were gong to do.

We're not really too ambitious with activities from the past - so the idea of a ferry and dinghy is pretty wild for us. If we did it - then it would certainly be kicking things up a notch for us... and the onlything is I saw on one site the times in port were depart St Thomas at 4PM. My spouse has the cruise docs set aside - so I don't know with certainty when we leave St Thomas - but I will find out tonite sometime.

At any rate... we are still "fishing" for another couple who wants to try a dinghy (sort of a zodiac with an outboard motor) on St john (reached by ferry) to go beach hopping and or snorkling. Anyone have interest please PM or post openly. IF not - we may or may not go - I know I want to go... I don't have a full reply from my spouse yet - and once se agrees then I can show my daughter - cuz U kno... once I show the little girl then she will be clammoring to go!

TTFN :goodvibes

:thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave:

Will be our destination and I've packed tons of water toys for the beach. My sis just came back from a week in St. Thomas and she claims that Koki (sp?) beach is very nice. Has quite a few locals--but one of the main attractions for her is the "Pants Lady." Apparently from the states she went to St. Thomas for a vacation, fell in love with the island, went home sold everything and moved there...makes a living selling swimsuit coverups on the beach. (I think it's a secret fantasy of my sister's to buy her soul back and run away to the islands--and since she can't sew I think I'm a part of the fantasy)

I FINALLY got approval from Skye's principal for her upcoming absences. Her teacher was going to give her a 59/F for the week but I pointed out ALL the educational values she will be learning as a result of her cruise. She will be keeping a journal of the experiences she will have so we gotta give her some great times to write about!!!!! :banana: All this in 1st grade! Guess I better study up on pirates so that will be educational too! pirate:

Lisa...

It's a mystery how schools run things with exacting a certain amount attendance. I read (and always suspected) that they have to maintain a minimum attandance per student to get funding and certifications - and I think I read that a child at our local school could have up to 15 days unapproved abscences - but I think if a child is doing well and will continue work while traveling - then it should be OK regardless of he number of days.

Besides, there is usually some constructive experience gained from travel - depending on how a family runs the trip. Now... to be candid I think there is a lot more entertainment as opposed to "edutainment" on a DIsney cruise. Especially compareed to the potential developemental ground work found with a landmark museum/nature tour or Lindbald expedition. But that's not the POV I am promoting now is it? :confused3

Rather - to be candid I think it is the balance between saving a little moola by traveling off peak and maintaining some continuing education while traveling that needs doing here. Most folks do not have unlimited resources (time and/or money) so we have to juggle it all. On another note, My brother does a home schooling thing. This would be a solution eh? And he does not travel much with them (not for lack of revenue tough)... and his kids seem to be coming along well - socially as well as education wise.

So - we're still exploring the idea for when we can scheule our next Disney cruise in 2006 - as well as other travel since our oldest daughter will be starting Kindnetgarten next September.

Sorry to rant with my general confusion on this matter. I'm still trying to identify a "centeroid" of reason on the issue. It will probably be on mind for the next 20 years until the kids finish their educations... as all I want to do is have travel fun WITH them - what an inconvenience dealing with school rules, eh? :rotfl:

Gotta run... adios!

pogopossum said:
itdjbw - i asked that earlier and was told that yes we all had to go through immigration for entry into st thomas, an early start to our excursion day. last year i thought read on here that we didn't, just the foreigners, but the answer earlier was affirmative.

we are going to do the ferry over and rent a car on st john. we can save a little money on the rental at cruz bay, and it will be less time driving on the wrong side. we just want to get out to trunk bay, maybe the next beach, but reading about trunk makes it seem so fun. and i want to get my national park passport stamped down there.

i don't know if rachel will do the jr ranger program now or not, she seems to have a good time while doing it, but then acts like it is no big deal to her. maybe the announcement over pa was too much for her at mammoth cave.

Pogopossum, We had to go thru immigration in St. Thomas in April and they called decks in no specific order, only people booked on the CL tours were called early and it was after noon by the time we got thru and were allowed to get off. It really wasted a lot of time and even if you don't plan on getting off the ship you still have to report.

I don't remember going thru that on the last Disney that went to ST.

captaincrash said:
ITDJBW....

May I enquire who the Nora thing is... I assume it's an author - but what type of novels (and what is the author's full name) - sorry to be such a pain. And you're not alone on the packing thing - except we did get some packing done - but not quite half done - which may not be a good thing.

On another note - the adverse weather forecast from NOAA with the LEE storm was released for 11PM EST. AND by my reckoning it shows the 5 day track. And........ if this thing is going to be THAT darn FAR AWAY at sea in 5 days then it would have to have a tremendous change in speed to even approach our region. SO I would like to declare we are going to embark without incident from LEE - and I/m sorry but I don't think I'll be jumping into the Magic pool after all - unless someone tricks me into a pool jumping dare by other means. :goodvibes :

Captain,
Nora is Nora Roberts the write, she also writes under the name JD Robb, her books are really 'popcorn for the brain' romance and light.
Still haven't packed, guess what I'm going to be doing at 11.30pm Thursday???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter