September 3, 2005 --- Who is going?

Welcome Poohbl and Pooter!

This is a great group we have here. Poohbl, I have an 8 year son who I know would love to meet your son. There are quite a few boys in that age range here so they should all have a blast.

Since Captain had his wife share things about herself I thought I would share things about my DH since there is no way I can get him to post on the computer (he is too busy playing Playstation2 and Gamecube - not really, he is working very hard right now to get ready for the trip)

1. My DH is an absolutely wonderful dad to our boys. He is very involved with them and always willing to sit and watch cartoons and play games with them.

2. He used to have a very romantic streak. Example: Snow White has been my favorite Disney character since I was little and I always wanted my prince to sweep me away on a white horse. When he proposed to me, he took me to a horse stable, walked me up to a white horse and dropped to his knee and asked me to marry him. It was so romantic. What ever happened to that guy? :confused3

3. My DH has an almost scary bond with our 10 year old Yorkie, Chandler. I swear sometimes he loves that dog more than me. He always says Chandler is the only who truly loves him.

4. DH is shy around people when he meets them. I usually do most of the talking (even though I am shy in most public situations as well).

5. He is a very patient man. The fact that he has stayed married to me for 10 years proves that. My parents say they take him on trips to Disney World and such because they never want him to leave me because that would mean me and the boys would return home to them.

Well, that is probably more information that I should have ever shared. My DH would probably die if he knew I was writing about him. But, hey, I feel like I already know you guys.

We leave 2 weeks from tomorrow!
Robyn

I got so busy talking about my DH that I forgot to ask the question I needed to.

What is the best way to communicate with the outside world (my parents). I need to talk, write or something to them a couple times to make sure everything is okay on the homefront. Should I get an international calling card? If so, is there a specific type and where do you use them? Should I sign up for some type of internet access? Should I send an owl (a la Harry Potter)? What should I do? Thanks

My DH is very quiet and doesn't usually have much to say unless he is an expert on it, then watch out. :rotfl: We have been married since 1997. We met years ago when I was married to my first husband but didn't hook up until my first marriage was over. Actually my ex gave Curtis my phone number :rolleyes1 as they worked together at the time. It was :love: at 2nd sight. I was very suspicious when he called me the first time to ask me out and I was kinda rude :rotfl2: but he called back (I was surprised he dared to call back) and when he came to pick me up and I opened the front door, all 4 of my BIG dogs :dog: bowled him over and what a first impression that was! He helped me chase all 4 of them down and get them back in the house. What a guy! :rotfl:

Welcome aboard Pooter....

.... how wonderful to have a "last minute" vacation on the Magic! I imagine there must have been a "deal" since your son is part of the crew! Are you OK with sharing the "secret details" with all us "common folks"? Cuz if the deal is good then I'll start grooming my kids to try joining the DCL crew so "I" can get "YOUR DEAL"....LOL! I'm sure my 4 year old would JUMP at the chance to join the crew of what she DREAMS about all the time. Too bad she's so young, eh? .... I could be getting a better sailing deal next year otherwise! If my spouse were next to me she would be slapping me in the shoulder to snap me back to sanity right about now... so I'll just pretend she did it... yeowch!! :earseek: ... "that hurt"... and about now she'd be giving me a gently withering glare.... (that hurts more).

So as I was going to say before I was symbolicly struck by the spouse who was NOT here.... lets' have the details of the deal! :rotfl: OK... we really don't need the details .... unless you really WANT to tell us!

But... for a change of conversation... your 1st posting asked where the secret veranda was. Well - in effect it is off the fantail on deck 7. It is NOT marked on deck plans nor is the door marked. But you just keep walking back until you come to an unmarked door with a port hole. Go through and back out to the observation deck. There were a dozen or so lounge chairs and space for maybe 30 or 40 folks configured cocktail party style. We'll try and post something on the door so our group knows they've reached the right point.

:wizard:

So my last thought is - since my docs still did not show up - it's now been 9 days since they were shipped by 3 day service - and I'll be calling DCL to track them - but as I wuz saying.... since my errant docs say I got the window cabin that I booked - then WHO GOT MY WALT SUITE (upgrade)? I don't suppose POOTER got it, did ya? LOL! :rotfl:

OK.... gotta go get some real work done... :moped:

Sorry, we did not get he Walt Suite, but were able to get better than we could ever afford otherwise. We actually have to sign something telling us not to discuss the "deals" so it's not like I wouldn't like to tell but you never know who's watching :confused3 and I wouldn't want to get anyone into trouble.

I can tell you that it is well worth grooming the young uns for a career with Disney :earsboy: , especially if you are a Disney fan. I worked there myself for a short while (I got talked into it by both my kids at the time) and it was a ball!! I can tell you all about it on board.

There are definate drawback though! This whole last minute thing is making me crazy! :rotfl2: I am generally a planner who at least has all the info ahead of time

Guess I better try and give DCL a call about transfers. We bought them but I'm confused about the whole luggage tag thing??

Well Pooter...

For formality's sake I will publicly say none of us DIS folks will listen (or entertain) any conversation that might compromise your deal or your son's courtesy in sharing his privilages with you. I mean it since you never know who's lookin here... but on the other hand if we all get sauced up and wacked at the DIS meet you know what they say about loose lips ..... that are saturated in alcohol! LOL! just kiddin' since my spouse and I do not drink liquor... er rather... not MUCH liquor anymore at least.

And BTW.... once many moons ago I considered working a stint at Disneyland as I heard the folks were nice, work fun, and parties were cool (A GOOD WAY TO MEET CUTE CHICKS) .... Ok ... it was many many moons ago. At any rate I did not do it - as I figured the drive was a bit too far for me at the time.

:banana:

BTW the transfer thing is nice I did that once but I'm driving a rental this time as it gives more flexability to git market supplies, do some shopping and simply get around when and where we need to. Plus we save a small amount. But call DCL with your flight info if you're laning the day of embarkation... they'll hook you up and get you wired.

1. Hi. My name is Bill - and I'm a Disney cruise addict. Just got hooked, but the addiction is strong.

2. Retired from the Air Force in '93 and now I'm a full-time telecommuting computer engineer (to use the term loosely).

3. Was married for 17 years - now divorced for 13.

4. Kinda shy - but not antisocial!

5. A man of few words (small vocabulary!).:rotfl:

WElcome to all of our newest cruisers. :wave2:
Pooter... What does your son do on the ship? I know my 9 year old would think that was a terrific job. We also have a few things in common....My husband (DisneyDadJax) is also a computer geek :badpc: ...oops, I mean a project manager for Blue Cross. AND...I am a teacher, :teacher: or at least was until Joshua was born (our 9 year old). Up until last Thursday I have been a stay at home (what a misnomer, I was NEVER home) mom. I have now again joined the working ranks as Admissions/Lower Division Director at the private school our boys attend.

Robyn...What ever does happen to those "Romantic" men we married???? :confused3 As far as stateside communication we are using the internet. I know in all our DOCs (which you now finally have) there is a number that you could leave with your family in case of emergency. I will be leaving that with those left behind, of course most of our family is traveling with us!! Love the "sweep you off your feet thing". Those are the first words my husband ever said to me....It was a summer job at McDonalds, and he was sweeping and said the same thing to me. However, my response was not very nice. Little did I know what the future would hold!

Captain...we cannot possibly go wothout you...so FIND THOSE DOCS!!!

New comers, Frank (DH) is making name tags for all us DISers. Please PM either DisneyDadJax or myself with your families names, ages (for the kids) and City and State. That way he can add you.

Now I guess on to the 5 things (which I really began above)

1. DH is a wonderful father. Of course, it is probably because he too is just a boy at heart. He plans fun outings for he and the boys. And he LOVES vacations in any way shape or form!!

2. I love being a mom. I feel like it is the most important things any of us could possibly do. I have loved my 9 years at home and am thrilled to be working at the boys school (truthfully, if it wasn't there, I would not be working)

3. We have an extreamly close family, which you probably could have guess since they are cruising too.

4. I don't think anyone in our family is shy. Although I do think that as I get older I am less extoverted. On the otherhand, DH is becoming more and more extroverted.

5. Cruising is our favorite vacation. We love it!! However, I would like to eventually go to Alaska, Frank always wants to go somewhere HOT and SUNNY, since we don't get enough of that living in FL and all :rotfl2:

Take care all. Plan and pack...I am!!

Suzanne

Suzanne -
My son also thinks he has the coolest job in the world. :cool1: I don't want to spoil anything so lets just say he works in entertainment and I'm sure everyone will meet him at some point during the cruise. Just think tall!! He absolutely loves hanging with the kids and comes home with some of the best stories (along with some horror stories). He worked at Disneyland for several years before joining the DCL and hopes to go back when his cruise time is up!

I still have a question: Does anyone have a clue what the show schedule is for this cruise? I'd like to make a reservatin at Palo's but don't want to do it on a night "you know who" has to work ;) I was wondering if they sent any kind of schedule with the cruise docs?

Yes, I have worked for different school districts for the last 18 years in special ed. Currently I work with autistic preschoolers! A very active group! When my kids were in school, I always loved being home whenever they were home. Because I work in the classroom, if they had the day off so did I! It was great! My kids have always been a huge focus for me. :grouphug: Even now, I trek down to Port Los Angeles every Saturday to take the youngest out to breakfast or something! It's fun seeing the ship that I finally get to cruise on!!! My DH always loves seeing the mechanical side of the ship. His dream would be to get a tour of the engine room!!

Captain... Have you taken your little one down to the ship yet. I know it's a bit of a drive, but this Saturday it will be leaving LA to cruise back through the Panama Canal!! It leaves port at 5PM. I'll be there to wave bye!

Gotta get back to packing!! TTFN

Pooter,

You have definitely got me wondering about your son and what he does on the cruise. Think tall? My mind is definitely working overdrive. Will you tell us in private when we all are at the DIS meet? To me, that must be so exciting. I definitely need to get my kids to start thinking about working for Disney Cruise Line. Granted, they are only 8 and 4 but it is never to early to plant those seeds.

I don't remember getting a schedule but I think the main show are only on sea days. Can anyone confirm this? I don't know what order they are in though. Sorry I am not more help (or any help at all if I am totally incorrect).

Robyn

Robyn

Here's another welcome to all of our newest cruisers!! :wave2:

5 things about me...

1 - I've been married to the same guy for 13 yrs. :music: (he's pretty darn tolerant -- or he has the volume turned up and isn't listening)

2 - I've worked for the same company (a bank) for 19 yrs (it will be 20 yrs in April). :drinking1

3 - Have two ferrets who are totally adorable (just in case someone was gonna post any "eewww ferrets are..." posts) :paw: :paw:

4 - I love to read!!!

5 - My friends and co-workers call me the "Queen of Freebies"... I coupon, rebate, and do believe in a free lunch. :goodvibes

Ginny :cutie:

Welcome Poohbl and Pooter!

While DH is out keeping the world safe for democracy a strange little thing is happening at home. I picked the monsters up from school last night and told them that there was a ton 2 do at home since it was trash night etc. We had aquick dinner out and when we got home my DS8 said (without prodding!) "what can I do to help?" After I started breathing again, I started to give him jobs thinking that his interest would last 10 minutes...Suprise!!!

He:

gathered and sorted all the laundry;
gathered and put out all the trash;
put away all of his and his sisters' clean laundry;
got anything scary out of the fridge and out to the curb; and
reloaded the fridge with beverages etc from our downstairs fridge!

When did the aliens arrive and what have they done with my real son??? I may have to make this packing thing stretch until the day we leave. :cloud9:

We've got one big bag packed so far with lots of fun stuff for the kids! pirate: They should have lots of fun sharing. We're working on our door signs and we'll just say that I'm not quitting my day job to become an artist but the kids are having fun.

DD has shared a couple of emails with the Captain's daughter and thinks that she sees her everywhere we go. "Is that my new friend from the cruise?" And DS is on a mission to make up candy treat bags for the cruise staff because "there probably aren't any candy machines on the boat like at mom's work." Seems like we're headed in the right direction.

For those of you staying at the airport but not booked yet...I did priceline today and got the sheraton all suites at the airport for $35. It doesn't look like the Ritz...but it is one night.

Now for hubby's 5 things:

1. there are 2 things that he really enjoys in the world--the monsters and his harley. (most everything else annoys him as it ultimately takes time away from those 2 things)

2. he does top secret work for the AF and takes the whole "no talking" thing way too far. If you hear more than 3 words from him he's either tanked or has a head injury.

3. if you sit with him at a buffet--take notice of what he eats. He has a very wacky theory that to get your $$ worth you must eat the more costly food. Doesn't matter what you like...you have to get your $$ worth. This rule only applies to adults for some reason I can't fathom.

4. before we had kids he refused to do anything fun that cost $$. now he'll put up with almost anything (like a day out with thomas after an 8 hour drive in 100degree heat) if he thinks the kids will like it.

5. he is usually exceedingly polite to people. even telemarketers.

He would never admit to any of these things...but after all these years I know him better than he does :rotfl2:

:hourglass Like sands through the hourglass; so are the days until we get to get on the boat!!!!

As I refer to my handy, dandy, color coded schdulre of events, I think I can help with what night each show is:

Sunday - "Golden Mickeys" - Formal Dinner night
Monday - "Twice Charmed"
Tuesday - PIRATE PARTY NIGHT pirate:
Thursday - "Disney Dreams " - Captains Gala

Hope that helps. Thanks to my husband for having our vacation so well organized. :love2:

omapcw... you're so funny! :rotfl:

and Gdulany.... although my spouse may not admit it as readily... she mirrors several of your 5 stated "secrets" revealed! :rotfl2:

and (revised at Gdulany's request)... since shes' NOT here :banana: i'll fill in how and where she/we are similar... sort of... she's been at the same company nearly 10 years (feels like 19 though); and shes been married to me going on 11 years (though we've been "together" 20 yrs. AND my hearing is not so good she'll roll her eyes at that admission! :rolleyes: ); Her brother has a ferrett which our kids love; and she is amazing with freebies and coupons. Just today she was on my case for NOT endorsing her desire to buy a copy of Norton for $5 from Costco with a coupon/rebate and of course - now I need a copy. So on reading it is a 50/50 sort of thing with her. So I count 2 hits, 2 near misses and 1 which is probably a miss to match.

So now that I've added stuff about my spouse that she has not approved you guys can email her so she can look me up and knock me around silly! :earboy2:

Pooter I had no idea... so today at 5 is the last day for the Magic in LA? I must confess I NOT dare take my daughter to see the ship. SHe would have a total melt down if she did not sail away with it. And the younger girl is too young to show signs of remembering last years' sailing. Otherwise I might consider going to watch it sail off into history. The other reason I might have to reconsider is the older girl has a gymnastics class at 5:30 and we would never make it back in time for that! Her Gym class is a huge pleasure for her + the legendary traffic we'd have going and returning from the port.

Mom2Boyz, thanks for the encouragement... and we still have no docs. We do have a cabin and DCL confirms our res # and that money is all in. SO if it comes to it we'll pick up docs at the port and wing it. Heck... I would be perfectly willing to overlook the inconveniences we're facing for a catagory 2 (OK... I'll settle for a cat 3!.... see how soft I am?!? :cool1: ). But yeah.... I just don't get it... as to where the doc set is. I'd call DCL now except I have a 1.75 year old sleeping in my arms / lap while I type one handed. AND yeah - I know I'm spoiling the girl. But I don't know any less.... ask my wife when you see her. But otherwise - thanks for the sympathetic gesture. :goodvibes

And... DDFanFOrever.... my guess is Pooter's son is ... now who is tall? I am guessing wildly at one of the stage dancers who is cast as tall? Or dare I say a character? Naw.... I guess we'll have to just wait an' see. :grouphug:

Thank you so much!! It helps alot! Wow a husband that organizes vacations. Mine is more of the "Just tell me where to be and I'll be there" sort. I did just try to make a reservation for Palo's and there were no more reservations available!! Not surprised though. Next on my list is getting that packing list printed out! I guess I'll need to do some shopping as I don't think my DH owns anything but jeans. LOL!! This getting dressed up for dinner is going to be a stretch for both of us. We're definately NOT fomal people :-)

TTFN
Kathy

Oh...Anybody know if they rent jet skis at Castaway Cay. I see them on the video clip but don't find anything under excursions??

captaincrash said:
Gdulany.... although my spouse may not admit it as readily... she mirrors several of your 5 stated "secrets" revealed! :rotfl2:

Which ones??? Is she a "frugal" person like me? Does she like to read? Does work drive her to drink? Or.....is it that her hubby has the volume up and isn't listening. :teeth:

Ginny

Hi all , just have a quick ,moment we are off to New Hampshire for a wedding! I am not looking forward to the 7 hour drive. :guilty:

Have a great weekend everybody!!!!
2 weeks from today we leave!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Hey guys

I found great deal on pirate costumes at Party City today for my boys. They were on clearance for $5. If anyone needs one and wants it cheap, you might try there.

Also, does anyone have a couple of extra eyepatches for pirate night that I can buy off of you? All the patches I saw were either more ornate (read: expensive) or more than I needed (I don't have 30 kids). If anyone did buy a pack, I would appreciate it immensely.

Also, I know some of you are doing little things for the kids. I know one (sorry I can't remember who) mentioned treat bags. I was thinking about doing little photo albums for the kids (don't get too excited, just the little cheap ones) and print a cover picture of Disney characters, etc on the front. Is anyone else doing this? If so, I don't want to duplicate so please let me know before I get started tomorrow while the kids are in school.

It is getting so close now I am about to explode.

Thanks
Robyn

Woo Hooo!!!

Party CITY..... here I come!!!! OK... excuse me while I settle down a bit. We have a party city near my daughter's gymnastics class today - so I'll swing by in about 2 hours.

So Pooter, for a note on being (or not being) formal on formal nite. I would not sweat it much. For the most part this is not THAT sort of crowd or cruise. However, I am gong to bring a tux (I wuz going to bring two but my spouse's withering glare has me thinking twice). :rolleyes1

Plus, although we've not done it personally before - we read that they have a ecco adventure on mini boats that may be jet skis. After the tour is done you get a little time to sort of run around a little - but not excessively. I think someone else might chime in with a better or more informed answer. :paw:

As for kids things... we're gonna do something - but we have to review the composition of kids genders and ages to come up with the right mix. We're gonna keep it within some combination of simple sweet and fun.

:rockband:

captaincrash- Will you post if you find anything at Party City? I was there today and all the pirate gear is still in boxes. The oh-so-helpful employee had no idea when it would be unpacked. Said it could be a couple of weeks. :confused3 There is another PC a little further away, but I don't want to waste time and $$(gas) to look at their boxes. pirate:

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter