September 3, 2005 --- Who is going?

Great idea Mary
5 things about me

1. My greatest blessings are my children, DD Skye 6, DD Brianne (22), and DS Michael 24 and my biggest heartache was the loss of Brianne 6 yrs ago when she was 16 (medical error)

2. I am very timid unless it involves my kids then I am a BEAR :rotfl:

3. I am diabetic and have been since I was 16.

4. I am a shopaholic (SHHHH don't tell my husband) :rotfl2: supported by my Walmart salary.

5. I love to travel. Skye has been on 3 other cruises, and she has been to Germany, Paris and London. We are planning a return trip to Germany next summer. I'm gonna miss my DCL though!

Great idea Mary!

And I hope the sudden absence of the Captain doesn't mean he hasn't received his docs and has done something desperate!

5 things about me

1. I have the same best friend from 1rst grade and we talk everyday. We are exact opposites.

2. Mom to 2 monsters that I thought I never wanted and that were too pedestrian for a fancy, smart girl like me :rotfl: Now I know what life is really about and how phenomenal it is to share real love.

3. I am likely the most sarcastic person you'll ever meet.

4. I'm very book smart but life dumb; like "did I remember to wear a shirt today" dumb. (please be patient with me!)

5. I share a birthday with Mickey and Minnie Mouse! November 18.

Can't wait to be on vacation! The natives are restless!

I hope the Captain hasn't gotten himself into trouble hijacking a UPS van or anything.

This a fun idea. Things you don't know about me.

1. My life revolves around my kids Tyler(8) and Brady(4). They are truly the greatest joys in my life (even when I am ready to leave them on the side of the curb for fighting).

2. My husband and I were set up on a blind date by some of our best friends, and the rest is history. Our friends also married one another, moved to the same town as us, and had two boys just like us. We are still the best of friends.

3. I have major anxiety issues. I worry about my kids a lot.

4. I have a definite desire to travel the world. Unfortunately, no one else in my family shares that passion.

5. I have been told very often I have no common sense whatsoever. People cannot believe that I graduated with a high grade point from college or that I could possibly even have an accounting degree (not that it does me any good breaking up fights and serving my kids drinks and snacks)

captain, captain, did you get those docs?

2.2 weeks to go!!!

5 things you don't know about me.

1. My life revolved (past tense, not a typo) around my 3 kids, until they had kids. Now my life revolves around my 5 precious babies -- the oldest is 3.5 years and the youngest is 4 months.

2. My best friend and I have known each other since 1977. Her daughter, my goddaughter, is my "adopted" granddaughter -- grandkid #6. Alyssa (8 years old) has Down Syndrome and she has been on two Wonder cruises with me.

3. I am outgoing, love to meet people, and love to talk.

4. I am an early morning riser and by 7 am, you will find me sitting on deck 9 near the coffee station with a cup of coffee, a book and probably talking to someone.

5. In 8 years, I could collect Social Security if it doesn't go bankrupt!!!! All you young "kids" on this cruise -- keep on working!!!!

Jan

:wave2: Hello everyone....

Monday was a psychotic day - I woke at 6AM to look after the kids until the evening.... my spouse was uncharacteristicly busy from the early AM til evening and we could not do our usual tag team drill - so I was sort of wacked (by 3PM that is) - so I was effectively off line (mentally as well as via computer) all of yesterday.

So.... today I called DCL late in the day - they declared they had just sent our docs on the 9th via 3 day ground service with UPS. Well... it was not here today and in the evening we left town for a nite. SO tomorrow we'll check our entry area for a UPS package. Oh... I also confirmed our cabin assignment - and they gave us an engineering space next to a hand crank for the rudders. I never told anyone we got a really low fare - a working fare so it seems. Naw.... actually, we're almost in "steerage" (as they used to call it on the Titanic) as we are on deck 2.... by choice might I add.... with a window no less. Hey... we're savin' for a rainy day... not a hurricane might I add... just plain ol' rain. princess:

So - our cabin is the same as we booked.... RATS! Oh well... there's always upgrading at the port - or bushwacking someone with a veranda and tossing their bags into hallway. Er rather, at least until security comes along to eject us into a life raft - or the nearest pier.

So... as for 5 diplomatically tolerable ice breakers about us.... :rolleyes:

1) My wife and I fell in love on our first date chewing on ice cubes (ice breaker... get it?!?) together at the end of dinner... we'll have to share details of how our first date went at the cruise meet (more fun and dramatic in person, eh?) - that'll be a fun thing then - eh? :dog2:

2) My wife is a chronic shop-a-holic and I have carried her bags for nearly 21 years now. Day 1 I noticed I could "hang out" with her if I went shopping with her and paid for most of her stuff and most of her meals and drove her anywhere she wanted to go.... so I inadvertantly compounded her addiction. Now - a - days - she sort of pays for most of her stuff.... and I pays fer mine. :moped:

3) I'm born and raised in L.A. - as my mother in law used to say - I was a "city slicker". She (my spouse) was born in Buffalo, N.Y. and raised outside of Pittsburg PA in a town that used to have just ONE stop light. I think it has two lights now.... wow. :banana:

4) I'm a really psychotic type with a digital camera - I've taken over 35,000 digital images in the last 4 years since our 1st daughter was born. As such - my father in law once cautioned that our daughter could develope retinal damage from excessive flash photography.... I wasn't sure if he was kidding or not since he's a big wheel in medicine.... supposedly.

5) I'm a nut. Oh wait... I'm supposed to say something folks DON'T KNOW about me.... oh... let me see..... oh yeah.... we like to try and travel a bit. We've been on maybe 15 or 17+ cruises (I'm not counting precisely - and this estimate includes a few cheapie 1 and 3 day weekend cruises).... and we've been fortunate enough to visit Asia a half dozen+ times and places in Europe maybe 4 or 5 times. Oddly enough... since the 2nd child arrived we've ground more or less to a halt for most long haul recreational travel. THE ONE EXCEPTION that we "stretch" for is the Disney Cruise. NOthing seems to come close for a family vacation with our young kids. :sunny:

6) So.... I decided to throw one extra thing (#6) just in case someone cries "foul" about one of my 5 preceeding cheap-skate entries... So.... "we love our critters". Although we currently have ONE major pet - a psychotic "thieving" 105 pound Samoyed ... we have had 2 Samoyeds, about a half dozen rabbits, hampsters, lots of fish (never could get them to be friendly or live very long), a cat, and of course my spouse has had a husband (the highest maintenance "pet" a woman could be condemned to have! - PLUS we have raised litterally 10s of thousands of ANTS around our place. Can't seem to make them unhappy enuf with our neighborly prescence... so we just sort of leave more vittles out for them to eat - even the ANT TRAP poison I leave them has no effect!

OK... that should be enuf, eh?

So - everyone get those "fun stories" ready for the cruise (to share)... IE... the good ol' stand by fun ice breakers - such as HOW YOU MET your current signifcant other - and 2nd .... how the "question was poped".... exceptin' those who are travelin' single or those who ditched the spouse to sail with the "secret flame".... shuuuu! We won't tell anyone .... just let us in on the secret dribble as to how you met your current travelin' companion .... and remember ... we have young kids in the gathering... so keep it PG please!

Adios,.... I gotta git some sleep - lot a drivin' to git home tomorrow.

With warmest regards to all - looks like we'll git our docs tomorrow evening! UPS will have had 8 (EIGHT) days to deliver with 3 day service ordered on the 9th (last tuesday).

:goodvibes

BTW... has anyone had a "Passportere guide to Disney Cruise" book? Is it really worth getting? It seems we can find a lot of info online and in forums like this one... any opinions?

5 Things You don't Know About Me

1. My life revolves around our daughter Lindsey (16) soon to be 17
She is a model and we are in and out of NYC on a regular basis. That keeps me very busy!
2. I love to cook!!!!!!!!
3. I am very outgoing and love to talk! (this drives my hubby crazy)
4. I live near the beach and love the ocean!!!
5. I am a RN (but not working)

Sally :sunny:

Hi my name is Laurie and I am new to the board. We are traveling on the Disney cruise Sept 3-10. I have 3 kids 17, 16,7 (but they have him in the 8 year old group) You guys seem to be pro's any words of wisdom? We are so excited. We have been on 5 cruises but this is the first Disney cruise. I have been skimming post. What is the piarate night. Do I need to bring something for my little guy to wear? I am so looking forward to the cruise.

Does anyone know what they do for kids for there B-days? My son and daughter will be celebrating (17 and 16 year olds) while on board.

Sorry guys I should have made a list of questions and then posted. What is the earlest we can board?

Welcome aboard Poohbl :wave2:

It's not necessary to by your little guy a pirate costume, but it would probably be fun for him if he did have on. My 2 boys will be dressed as pirates pirate: And I am sure some of the other kids from the boards will be too.

For birthday's onboard, a cake will be brought to your dinner table on the night you are celebrating. The Head Server, Server and Asst Server, and some nearby server who are not otherwise occupied will sing Happy Birthday, and will encourage everyone around to sing too. My DS also got a DCL Button to wear (but it didn't say Happy Birthday)

I see you have a 7 year old boy, bumping him up to the 8-9 group. I do too :) My DS is currently exchanging e-mails with another 8 year old boy, so he will have a DIS buddy when he boards. If you want to send me a PM, I can give you me e-mail address if you think your DS would be interested in exchanging e-mail with another boy his age.

Welcome Poohbl!

5 things about me (yes, this was great idea Mary)

Of course my 5 things won't be near as entertaining as the captains, but here goes anyway...

1. I'm a little shy, so bear with me when we all meet, as I sometimes think I come across as "stuck up"...but I'm not, I'm just quiet at first!

2. I'm an obsessive scrapbooker! I love to take pictures (but not near as many as the captain) and then I love organizing them & putting them in scrapbooks. When we built our house, I had to add on a scrapbook room! (maybe a little too obsessed? Nah!)

3. I'm really getting into making all my own beaded jewelry (but come to think of it, I may be more into the shopping for all the beautiful gemstones and sterling silver more than the actual "making"! :rotfl: )

4. My life also revolves around my 2 kids and getting them where they need to go on time :moped: . They love sports and it keeps me going, going, going. Baseball, basketball, soccer, golf, dance, gymnastics, & soon to add Karate and acting lessons. Its crazy, but fun. I never really played sports when I was a kid (well except cheerleading, is that a sport?), but I really enjoy watching my kids laugh and run and play!

5. I am a computer programmer :badpc: , but not a nerdy one! I'm very cool and hip :smooth: (haha) and I do not have a pocket protector!

Welcome Aboard Poohbl! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Now Laurie,.... you do know that our DIS welcome aboard gathering is in the promenade lounge - that's on Deck 3 between Lumiere's and Parrot Cay (the two main restaurants on the deck ~ Parrot is aft and Lumiere's is just about amidship). You can spot us at 3pm as the crowd hangin' out with the beer kegs dressed in togas. OK... maybe we will NOT have togas or beer kegs... (LOL) but we will have name tags! :disrocks:

SO... the life boat drill is suposed to be around 4PM - so after that we are going to gather aft on deck 7 at the "secret veranda". That should be estimated at within about 15-20 minutes of the conclusion of the life boat drill - as we all kno it's a big cattle drive after the drill ends and we all have to dump our orange gear before going anywhere else!

And I think the pirate nite is optional to dress up. I think that evening everyone at dinner will get a pirate bandana - so you'll have a little something - but it might be slightly more fun if you have more to dress up with. I have yet to get proper pirate attire for any of my family. My spouse declined my initial costume suggestions - so I'm still searching for something fun and tolerable to get for dress up. As it stands I have nothing for pirate nite.

So... once again .... welcome aboard to your first DCL cruise. :banana: :banana: :banana:

:rotfl2: BTW ... SalByTec ... I love that packing list thread link.... it's wonderfully complete and just out there "on the edge". My spouse will love reading it - once I get her over here in a few minutes.

Welcome Poohbl :wave2:

Sally- My DH is also an RN. (unfortunately, I must insist that he work :rotfl2: )

Great idea Mary.
It's been intresting to see how similar the answers are. You will think I just did a cut and paste, but I've actually been thinking about this all day.

1. I adore my DH and DS. I am truly blessed to have such a great family.

2. My DH and I met in the 6th grade. We started dating when we were 17. We know all about each others "awkward teen years." :love2:

3. The majority of my time is spent at the baseball fields. DS is playing on 2 teams and DH is playing on an "old man" team. DH is also on the Board of our city Babe Ruth League. And I love it!!! I've made lots of great friends at the ballpark.

4. I love to shop!!! My favorite day of the year is the day after Thanksgiving.

5. My 35th birthday is in about 6 weeks. YIKES :hourglass

Under 2 weeks now until we head to "the World". 16 days until we meet you all on the Magic! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Hi Everyone
I am new to cruising and new to message boards so I hope I get this right! My husband and I just found out last Friday we are sailing on the 9-3-05 cruise!! So excited. It was a last minute thing. I have so many questions, I don't know where to start. We would love to meet every one after the drill!

Hello everyone....

I'm the spouse of the Captain and he wants me to write a little to add to the ice breaking round. SO here goes...

1) I like to shop - but more or less that's because it's so hard for me to find things that actually fit me. Then I have to spend even more time to simply find anything on SALE that fits.

2) I get the most entertainment value out of watching and caring for my kids. They're sooo cute (and funny sometimes).

3) I'm in outside sales and I travel some.

4) I've been with my DH a long time. We think alike and it's scary how we seem to know what each other is thinking a lot of the time.

5) I tend to be a little shy and quiet sometimes - which may seem hard to believe since I am in sales. But I warm up reasonably fast and am no less fun loving than anyone else aboard!

I look forward to meeting everyone at the DIS meet. I look forward to this cruise with real anticipation every year.

-----

This is the "Captain" again.... Wow.... it seems so unreal that it's just 2 weeks away before we jet into MCO too MickeyManiac. We get it in the afternoon so we are not doing much on Thursday. But Friday might be a WDW day. Not entirely sure yet as we were going to meet a brother-in-law in Orlando - but I have not heard whether or not they will make it. If not - I am not too sure exactly what we'll be doing on Friday. we're more or less of the "happy-go-lucky" ilk.

OK - I gotta go. Adios all! :umbrella:

well, according to dw, we be hitting the road in two weeks and two and 2/3 hours, bound for our stop in crestview, f-l-a. and then on to cocoa beah, for a beach afternoon, and ron jon stop on fri. i got my big samsonite down today, and pulled out my shirts from the closet, now i just have to go through them and make sure that they are all going. :rotfl2: i'll probably not leave any behind, even though i always tell myself that i'm packing lighter next time. my concession this trip is, one pair of jeans and two pairs of dockers khakis, and five pairs of shorts.

as for icebreakers:

1) dw and i are very involved at our church, with children's ministry, in our adult class.

2) my screen name goes back to a certain love i have had since childhood for a certain comic strip, and intelligent comics in general.

3) i work as a technician for live tv and corporate events in audio and video.

4) one might say that i am a beach bum living too far from a beach. my idea of a perfect day is a hammock and an umbrella with the roar of the surf in the background and jimmy buffett and kenny chesney on a boombox, or maybe a discman turned up halfway.

well gotta go for now, hey capt have you tried asking for your tracking number, then you can see the progress of your docs. one of the guys did that last year.

Welcome to our DIS thread Laurie and Pooter. Looking forward to seeing you at our DIS meet in the Promenade Lounge at 3pm on Saturday. I created a list of DISers which includes names, children's ages, home city/state. I'll add both of you to the list. I will bring copies with me if anyone wants them.

If you would like me to email a copy of the list to you, send me an email at janziegler@aol.com.

Two weeks from tomorrow, Dave and I will be in Cocoa Beach!

Jan

Thanks everyone. I look forward to meeting you all!! :wave: Guess I'll just jump right in with my 5 things before I start asking questions:

1. My husband and I have been married 27 years and this is our 1st cruise ever!

2. We have two boys Ages..25 and 23.

3. My youngest is a crew member on board the Magic (that's why we got last minute tickets).

4. My husband is a computer tech :badpc: and I work in special education

5. My 2 loves (other than my family of course) are Disney :earsboy: and cats.

Now my first question - Does anybody have a clue what the schedule is for the week? Which shows are when? What night is the Pirate Party?

Since I haven't recieved any docs yet...what do I do with them when I get them? Hold on to them till boarding or send them back?

I love to shop! Where's the best place?

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll have lots more later. Thanks again and I can't wait to meet everyone. Promenada Lounge 3PM. Got It!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter