• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September 24, 2011

Can't wait myself. Starting to pack snacks and essentials. I've also begun charging all the small items like cameras and ipods so they are ready to go.

Just a heads up. It looks like a tropical storm is heading for our destinations.

143931W5_NL_sm.gif

At the moment they are saying it is only a tropical storm and only a 15% chance it might become a hurricane by Monday. By Monday at 2 am it will be to the North East of St Martin and will actually be north of Puerto Rico.

caribean.gif

The way it is heading it will hit St Martin two days before we get there. It looks like St Martin and St Thomas will probably be ok. They will have 50 max mile an hour winds going through, but it is ranked as a tropical storm. If Disney was smart, they would take us to Castaway Cay first since the way the storm is heading it will be in the Florida area anytime Thursday through Saturday. Castaway Cay is off to the east of Florida. The last time we cruised we missed Castaway Cay because of the winds. It only took 40 mph winds for them to skip the island. The max wind speeds for this storm ranked as a tropical storm is 40 mph minimum and go up to 60 mph.

Map_DCL_3_4_Night.jpg

Tuesday is our St Martin Day
Wednesday is our St Thomas Day
Friday is Castaway Cay

The way it is looking I bet we will hit Castaway Cay first and then we will probably have an extra day or two to reach St Martin and St Thomas so they can clean up a little after the tropical storm. I hope they do this. Finger tightly crossed that we are able to reach all of our destinations. Also, I kind of hope the storm is hitting Florida on Saturday and they extend our cruise. It's been done before. I know I would not be crying if the 7 day turned into a 9 day for example. Just an fyi tropical storm Ophelia could impact our cruise. If the schedule does not change we may be looking at our trip to St Martin possibly being swapped, cancelled, or some excursions may be cancelled. We are also looking at a strong possibility our Castaway Cay might be cancelled. This is all speculation, but based on the current prediction and how Disney has to be protective of their passengers we could see some changes. I'm not a hurricane expert. Just an excited cruiser who looked at the current path and pace and how it relates to our destinations.

Up to date link on Tropical Storm status.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#OPHELIA

I don't think it will be as bad as you are imagining. There are always possibilities that we may miss a port if there is a hurricane in the area, or if one just passed through. From what I have saw, we will be in St. Maarten and St. Thomas after the storm has hit. It doesn't look like there would be a lot of damage from what I am seeing now. Castaway Cay may be the one that we could possibly miss if it hits the Bahamas and is destructive. I don't forsee DCL changing the itinerary to do CC first, especially if there is a Bahamian Dream cruise that corresponds with that as well. I also wouldn't think of our cruise extending by 2 days, and I am PRAYING that it doesn't. Flights would be screwed up, it would also mean me missing another day of work, and my DD8 missing another day of school. We are already missing 6 each and def don't wanna miss anymore.

I've been watching the storm too. We have never cruise before so have no idea how Disney will avoid this, but maybe a Western instead of an Eastern. That wouldn't be too bad either.

I am hoping it doesn't change, I really didn't like the Western ports. (Well at least not Mexico) Key West, Grand Cayman, and Castaway Cay, would be cool, but def not Mexico. Hopefully we hit our scheduled places and no hurricane.

Hey cruisers!!! (Hi PrincessMer :wave2:)

I am hoping that perhaps someone can help us ~

We are on the cruise on the Magic right after yours (Oct 1-8th) and my DH and I are very curious as to how the new port arrival times are going to work out for the Magic.

Will any of you on this cruise be posting once you get in the terminal or on the ship before you sail off?

We drive in the AM of the cruise from Tampa and have the 11am arrival time, and previously, we were the kind that liked to arrive at 10am and have boarding #2....

We are most interested in how they handle the port arrivals and boarding numbers (and maybe even dining rotations when you get your KTTW cards).

Anyways, if any of you would be so kind, we would be most appreciative :thumbsup2

TIA and BON VOYAGE!! :boat:

Hey cruisers!!! (Hi PrincessMer :wave2:)

I am hoping that perhaps someone can help us ~

We are on the cruise on the Magic right after yours (Oct 1-8th) and my DH and I are very curious as to how the new port arrival times are going to work out for the Magic.

Will any of you on this cruise be posting once you get in the terminal or on the ship before you sail off?

We drive in the AM of the cruise from Tampa and have the 11am arrival time, and previously, we were the kind that liked to arrive at 10am and have boarding #2....

We are most interested in how they handle the port arrivals and boarding numbers (and maybe even dining rotations when you get your KTTW cards).

Anyways, if any of you would be so kind, we would be most appreciative :thumbsup2

TIA and BON VOYAGE!! :boat:

I can tell you about this before we board. You sign up for you boarding time through your online check-in. Concierge and Platinum Club guests will get to board first then they will go based on your arrival time, which you sign up for online based on when you will actually arrive at the terminal.

Your dining rotation is decided before you ever arrive at the terminal. You will know your rotation once you check in as its on your KTTW card. Your table number ticket will be in your stateroom upon your arrival.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup2

I can tell you about this before we board. You sign up for you boarding time through your online check-in. Concierge and Platinum Club guests will get to board first then they will go based on your arrival time, which you sign up for online based on when you will actually arrive at the terminal.

Your dining rotation is decided before you ever arrive at the terminal. You will know your rotation once you check in as its on your KTTW card. Your table number ticket will be in your stateroom upon your arrival.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup2

Not at all what I was asking; this is my 4th Disney cruise!!! I am interested to to know about the NEW process with port arrival times. We used to get there at 9:45-10am to get boarding group #2, but now the process has changed. I have read about how it has been for the Dream, but I am wondering about the Magic.

I was also curious to know what your dining rotations were. Usually, we request one.

I think you may have misunderstood my inquiry!

Not at all what I was asking; this is my 4th Disney cruise!!! I am interested to to know about the NEW process with port arrival times. We used to get there at 9:45-10am to get boarding group #2, but now the process has changed. I have read about how it has been for the Dream, but I am wondering about the Magic.

I was also curious to know what your dining rotations were. Usually, we request one.

I think you may have misunderstood my inquiry!

Yea not sure what your asking. The last Disney cruise I was on was last November and we didn't sign up for a time at all and got right on when they opened it up. The only arrival times that were options for this trip started at 11am. I am on my way there so will let you know.

So they give you a boarding number. I'm not sure how they determine it because the people next to us had 12 and we got 7. But by noon they were boarding 1-20. We arrived at noon and got right on. Rooms were open at 1:30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter