SEPTEMBER 2016 Car Rental Watch

Just booked Alamo mini van 9/3-9/10 through the Costco travel website for $267. Not bad for a mini van but I'm hoping it drops a bit. I pretty much only book Alamo via Costco because we've had such a good experience with them. I'm able to take my Costco reservation number that gets emailed to me and check in online on the Alamo website, which allows us to go directly to the mini-van aisle and be on our way. I will NEVER EVER book a car rental again where we have to wait at the counter in the terminal after a nightmare experience with Budget a few years ago.

I just checked our one week rental from the end of February this year (also a minivan rental through Costco - Alamo) and it was $189. Wow--I'd love to match that again.

Just booked Alamo mini van 9/3-9/10 through the Costco travel website for $267. Not bad for a mini van but I'm hoping it drops a bit. I pretty much only book Alamo via Costco because we've had such a good experience with them. I'm able to take my Costco reservation number that gets emailed to me and check in online on the Alamo website, which allows us to go directly to the mini-van aisle and be on our way. I will NEVER EVER book a car rental again where we have to wait at the counter in the terminal after a nightmare experience with Budget a few years ago.

No doubt, I love Alamo for that reason. Those rental counter lines can be ridiculously long, not the way to start a vacation. If Alamo is a bit higher, I'll gladly pay it to avoid that mess!

I appreciate having the second driver included in the Alamo rental with the Costco code. I wouldn't pay a daily fee for that "perk", but there are occasions when my DH and I will trade off the car.

I just checked my rates and it took a big jump.

Alamo coupon AD3868JST seems to be working for me. Its supposed to be $25 off specialty, but it seemed to give the discount on several car classes.

Alamo coupon AD3868JST seems to be working for me. Its supposed to be $25 off specialty, but it seemed to give the discount on several car classes.

I'm getting the same result.

Prices are still high for my rental today, about $100 higher than what I have booked.

No doubt, I love Alamo for that reason. Those rental counter lines can be ridiculously long, not the way to start a vacation. If Alamo is a bit higher, I'll gladly pay it to avoid that mess!

A few years ago, minivan prices were sky high (like $400+ for a week in September). So I went the "cheap" route and bid on priceline for a rental. Now that I think of it, it was Hertz and not Budget. There was zero lines at any of the other counters, but the Hertz line was backed up for a long ways. Apparently, they were out of cars and everyone that got to the counter was told they had to wait hours for a car. After waiting around for an hour, I decided to call Priceline and tell them Hertz was out of cars. The priceline rep had to confirm this with a Hertz rep, and after that, Priceline actually gave me a full refund. I was able to go to a National desk and get a decent price on a same-day minivan rental available immediately, thank goodness.

Hey guys, I could use some help!
Right now, I have a car reserved through Alamo using the $25 off coupon and my AP contract ID. For Tuesday Sept 6 through Saturday Sept 10 it is only $86.

We have changed our plans and now will arrive the night before. However, renting a car at the airport Monday evening instead of Tuesday morning, is costing an extra $100!

I checked into picking up the car at the alamo car care Tuesday afternoon and I'm still getting $185 for the trip, using the contract and coupon.

I prefer to use a car rather than the ME. Any ideas on how to work this and still keep a good rate? Thank you!

Edited! I just used the vegas brazil, my AP, and the $25 off coupon and got $99. I tried the visa code since we have visa, but there was a date issue. Then, I tried the double upgrade and there was a date issue (we aren't staying over a Saturday so maybe that's it).

My question now is by booking a compact as an alamo insider, do I still only get a compact?

Last edited:
I've also reserved a full-size car with Alamo for Sep 20 through Oct 4 using the Vegas Brazil code and the specialty $25 coupon: $283.50. Not bad as a 9-day rental in June for a mid-size SUV was $198 and we chose a mini-van from the SUV row.

Thanks for sharing the Codes - I may try looking for a product code and will keep checking rates as I get closer.

booking a compact as an alamo insider, do I still only get a compact?

I'm an Alamo Insider and as long as you do your online check-in, you can choose whatever car you want from that designated row. We ended up with a mini-van after reserving a mid-size SUV.

I've also reserved a full-size car with Alamo for Sep 20 through Oct 4 using the Vegas Brazil code and the specialty $25 coupon: $283.50. Not bad as a 9-day rental in June for a mid-size SUV was $198 and we chose a mini-van from the SUV row.

Thanks for sharing the Codes - I may try looking for a product code and will keep checking rates as I get closer.
Is the Vegas Brazil code still active. I taught I read somewhere on the board that people were having trouble with that code? If not that is great and I will also reserve a car with the code.

Is the Vegas Brazil code still active. I taught I read somewhere on the board that people were having trouble with that code? If not that is great and I will also reserve a car with the code.
I've also booked a car to be picked up at Dolphin using the code and both processed without a problem. I'm an Alamo Insider and both are showing for me. Will continue to check on that and will report back.

I'm not sure if picking up at Dolphin rather than the airport will be a problem when using that code? I'm only having to rent a car because my CM friend received a recall notice on her passenger airbags and a replacement won't be available until the Fall... climbing in and out of an Accord Coupe is too much for me! :)

can anyone help me? I kinda dropped the ball on this trip. We are going September 26-October 9th.
I can pick up at mco for entire time
OR
really only NEED car from October 4th to 9th to drive to vero…full size car or van.

if price not too different I despise resort to resort travel on disney transportation.

I haven't booked ANYTHING no dining, no fp no nothing but I have a room and flights :) Thats what happens when I skip a year..everything changes

and I feel out of the loop.

I have always used dollar but it will be 450 sounds like a lot of my fun money spent on not fun.

i have caa and costco memberships.

if anyone can help me Id be super appreciative.

I've also booked a car to be picked up at Dolphin using the code and both processed without a problem. I'm an Alamo Insider and both are showing for me. Will continue to check on that and will report back.

I'm not sure if picking up at Dolphin rather than the airport will be a problem when using that code? I'm only having to rent a car because my CM friend received a recall notice on her passenger airbags and a replacement won't be available until the Fall... climbing in and out of an Accord Coupe is too much for me! :)

Thank you. I'm also an Alamo Insider and had cancel my reservation when I saw people were have problems with the code. I will just add another reservation and see what happens. Thank you

What problems are you hearing about? We used codes, coupons, costco, vegas brazil all sorts and checked out fine in April.

What problems are you hearing about? We used codes, coupons, costco, vegas brazil all sorts and checked out fine in April.
I think the Vegas Brazil thread morphed into referring to outdated $50 coupons. The $25 coupon that's in this thread works as well as the Vegas Brazil code.

Thanks for reporting no problems with any of the codes! :)

I think the Vegas Brazil thread morphed into referring to outdated $50 coupons. The $25 coupon that's in this thread works as well as the Vegas Brazil code.

Thanks for reporting no problems with any of the codes! :)

That was probable it. I looked back to when I cancelled the reservation and it was around April. I had a mini van for 9 days for only 211.00 with Alamo.
I do have the 25.00 coupon reserved already and will now add the Vegas Brazil code.

Thank you all for your help

I'm an Alamo Insider and as long as you do your online check-in, you can choose whatever car you want from that designated row. We ended up with a mini-van after reserving a mid-size SUV.

We've reserved an Alamo for our September trip as well, but have never used them before so not quite familiar with the online check-in process. How soon does that have to be done? Is it a pretty self explanatory process, and no need to go to a counter at all??

We've reserved an Alamo for our September trip as well, but have never used them before so not quite familiar with the online check-in process. How soon does that have to be done? Is it a pretty self explanatory process, and no need to go to a counter at all??
It's basically to confirm you are picking up the car and you add in all credit card info. You bypass the Counter and go out and choose your vehicle from the designated row.

The only Alamo staff you have to speak to is at the exit where you show ID and the credit card that was entered during online check-in. Super easy - we've done this many times in Orlando and Miami!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter