September 12, 2009 ~ Last Call for Tortola! Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom is all over the state on business, yes. But we lived in Valparaiso for 10.5 years when he worked for Bethlehem Steel, NI-Source and was an independent consultant so we have a lot of friends there. The most recent trip was for calling hours for a friend who died. The last one before that was Popcorn Fest I think. popcorn::

Sorry about your friend.

So, it must be very different for you living in Indianapolis compared to NE indianapolis.

By the way, Tallulah was born in Indiana. All I know is that I had to drive to a different time zone to pick her up when she was a 14 week old puppy.

I put in my vacation (or so called PTO) time today for September. I had the most amazing realization !!!!!

We are taking the week before the cruise to be in WDW (we are also shacking up with a couple of wenches we picked up in the Panama Canal zone.)

Well one of the days we are in WDW is ... Labor Day!!!! That means one less vacation day consumed.

(It's the little things that make me happy.)

So, Labor Day isn't till the 7th? That's cool...I'd better look at my vacation sheet and make sure I didn't count it as a vacation day.

.....who you calling a wench? pirate: pirate: pirate:

I have Monday off (another furlough day) and realized our agencies and rep will be closed for the President's Day holiday....so no work will be piling up on my desk while I'm out....yeah!

Do we really only have 5 families that want to participate in the FE?

Is there a way for people traveling with children to let us know if they are boys or girls with their ages? I know we have 3 kids that are hounding me to find out how many "friends" they will have on this cruise..

Is there a way for people traveling with children to let us know if they are boys or girls with their ages? I know we have 3 kids that are hounding me to find out how many "friends" they will have on this cruise..

I want to participate in the FE

I also will participate in the FE...just don't know about the rest of the family group yet. Well, Dianne will be since she's in my cabin!:lmao:

I think once we hit final payment time, more folks will be coming on the thread more frequently and will be wanting to get involved in activities.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for FE ideas in the meantime, of course.

I already bought some little gifts to give out for the FE exchange :rolleyes1

Ive never been involved in a small FE before :confused3 In December we had about 40 families invovled.. The last count we had, Sept 08, had 63 children.. We even split the list in case anyone felt overwhelmed..

I know I definately want to participate in the FE. I need to come up with a good gift idea.

I put in my vacation (or so called PTO) time today for September. I had the most amazing realization !!!!!

We are taking the week before the cruise to be in WDW (we are also shacking up with a couple of wenches we picked up in the Panama Canal zone.)

Well one of the days we are in WDW is ... Labor Day!!!! That means one less vacation day consumed.

(It's the little things that make me happy.)

Anything to make you happy Ian...keeps US happy too... :goodvibes

And I don't think mom and I are staying with you... so just who ARE these wenches??? :hippie: :hippie:

Sorry about your friend.

So, it must be very different for you living in Indianapolis compared to NE indianapolis.

By the way, Tallulah was born in Indiana. All I know is that I had to drive to a different time zone to pick her up when she was a 14 week old puppy.

I'll tell ya... that pup is SUCH a Diva... ;)

So, Labor Day isn't till the 7th? That's cool...I'd better look at my vacation sheet and make sure I didn't count it as a vacation day.

.....who you calling a wench? pirate: pirate: pirate:

I have Monday off (another furlough day) and realized our agencies and rep will be closed for the President's Day holiday....so no work will be piling up on my desk while I'm out....yeah!

It wasn't us Jackie... We're ROYALTY... he calls the Queen Mum a wench... and he's walking the plank.... ;)

Sorry about your friend.

You do not know where you drove to get Tullulah? :confused3

I am from upstate New York--west of Michelle. I went to college in Troy, NY at an urban campus. I lived on Long Island and took the LIRR to and from school in Brooklyn for two years. I have lived in a rural town, rural region (former pasture made into housing development of 3-4 acre lots), suburbia, small city, large city, declining city and reviving city so, it is different but not so much. People are people everywhere you go. Some are charming and delightful and some are a pain in the neck. Therein lies the origin of my self tag about idiots.

And, Marilyn, a tag is a tag. For me it is more meaningful to have done it myself than if it was something that someone grabbed out of context because it made them laugh. I do not mind if it is black text instead of color.
It is mine :thumbsup2

As we get closer to sailing I bet more people will get interested in FE but how about getting a conversation started here about what it means and how it works so that those who are new to the thread can decide if they are interested?

We are not participating. We downsized 4 years ago to a small condo which is 1/3 the size of our former house. We are getting rid of collections not gathering them. Our grand daughter will only be 9 months at the time of the cruise so FE gifts would not be meaningful to her as they would to older kids. Her Dad is a collector and her Mom is not so we do not want to add anything to the dilemma they deal with there.

So, it's your ball, run with it! :thumbsup2 As people express interest, I will update page 1 post 1 and if I miss anyone, let me know, OK :banana:

Up pops a quiet little voice! Me...

We want to participate in the FE.

As far as kids go, we have two, DS 9 and DD 5 (turns 5 on embarkation day!)

-Kay

FRIENDS--another good topic. Invite people to discuss that too.

:confused3 I wonder if the current economic conditions have some people stearing clear of the Thread so that they don't get connected with us and then if they have to cancel they are not so upset. For that reason, discussion of FRIENDS and FE gifts might be late topics. But, give it a go and see. :confused:

And, if they don't know friends from the DIS, they will meet friends on the ship at the Clubs so that might be a reassurance. For now you can check the list on page 1 post 1 and see the ages of children listed. If any mesh with your kiddos you could PM that DISer and see if pen pal arrangements can be made perhaps :idea:

I want to participate in the FE

I also will participate in the FE...just don't know about the rest of the family group yet. Well, Dianne will be since she's in my cabin!:lmao:

I think once we hit final payment time, more folks will be coming on the thread more frequently and will be wanting to get involved in activities.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for FE ideas in the meantime, of course.

I know I definately want to participate in the FE. I need to come up with a good gift idea.

Up pops a quiet little voice! Me...

We want to participate in the FE.

As far as kids go, we have two, DS 9 and DD 5 (turns 5 on embarkation day!)

-Kay

You all are listed on page 1 post 1 with a BOLD FE FE at the end of your entry. Some of you were there all along and some are newly added just now.

and Kay--no need to pop up quietly!! :rotfl: shout it from the rooftops, don't forget, I am a post menopausal woman and my brain leaks. If you ever doubt it, check my self-tag. I need reminders. BUT, you were listed as interested in FE ever since you first signed on.

:upsidedow Jan

and Kay--no need to pop up quietly!! :rotfl: shout it from the rooftops, don't forget, I am a post menopausal woman and my brain leaks. If you ever doubt it, check my self-tag. I need reminders. BUT, you were listed as interested in FE ever since you first signed on.

:upsidedow Jan

I kinda meant that I haven't really chatted with everyone here since I joined, oh so long ago. Has it been a week yet? Time seems to go so fast these days.

You all seem a crazy bunch. :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: I like it! But all this talk of royalty is making me think of home back in the UK. Ah, the cold, the wet, the snow... Talking of which, CustardTart, I hope you guys are all OK (warm, dry etc). :grouphug:

--Kay

I kinda meant that I haven't really chatted with everyone here since I joined, oh so long ago. Has it been a week yet? Time seems to go so fast these days.

You all seem a crazy bunch. :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: I like it! But all this talk of royalty is making me think of home back in the UK. Ah, the cold, the wet, the snow... Talking of which, CustardTart, I hope you guys are all OK (warm, dry etc). :grouphug:

--Kay

Kay, I just saw of where you come....do you know your way to San Jose????

I'm of course in San Jose too. Hence the song :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

What part of town are you in? We live close to Santana Row(or for the older timers Town & Country)

I've been here for most of my 45 years. Spent a little time in Fremont, but lets not talk about that....

You do not know where you drove to get Tullulah? :confused3

I am from upstate New York--west of Michelle. I went to college in Troy, NY at an urban campus. I lived on Long Island and took the LIRR to and from school in Brooklyn for two years. I have lived in a rural town, rural region (former pasture made into housing development of 3-4 acre lots), suburbia, small city, large city, declining city and reviving city so, it is different but not so much. People are people everywhere you go. Some are charming and delightful and some are a pain in the neck. Therein lies the origin of my self tag about idiots.

And, Marilyn, a tag is a tag. For me it is more meaningful to have done it myself than if it was something that someone grabbed out of context because it made them laugh. I do not mind if it is black text instead of color.
It is mine :thumbsup2

Jan - Where in Brooklyn did you go to school?

Jan - Where in Brooklyn did you go to school?

Downstate Medical Center

--Kay

Kay--the talk of Royalty comes from a few members of this group who were on the Westbound Panama Canal together. Michelle and Nan decided they were the Eastern Queen of the Smarties and Western Queen of the Smarties respectively due to their affection for those candies. There might have been other queens, but I forgot--remember, the brain leaks.

Ian and Sukie got into the swing of Formal Night with outfits fit for Embassadors from a foreign nation so were given titles by Michelle and she decided her mother should be the Queen Mum. Another friend at their table was a Crown Princess. Her husband might have been a Prince Consort, I do not know, but he did arrange for Cheese Sticks for appetitizers each night so Sukie was happy.

Some of the rest of us enjoyed the fun from a distance, some did not see it except in photos after the cruise or on the Thread and the rest (dare I say :confused3 ) avoided them altogether.....

So guys, how did I do summing it up?

And Kay--welcome aboard whenever you are in the mood and have time, chat away. This group will have a different personality and different subgroups and that is fine!!

Jan :hug:

Downstate Medical Center

Kay--the talk of Royalty comes from a few members of this group who were on the Westbound Panama Canal together. Michelle and Nan decided they were the Eastern Queen of the Smarties and Western Queen of the Smarties respectively due to their affection for those candies. There might have been other queens, but I forgot--remember, the brain leaks.

Ian and Sukie got into the swing of Formal Night with outfits fit for Embassadors from a foreign nation so were given titles by Michelle and she decided her mother should be the Queen Mum. Another friend at their table was a Crown Princess. Her husband might have been a Prince Consort, I do not know, but he did arrange for Cheese Sticks for appetitizers each night so Sukie was happy.

Some of the rest of us enjoyed the fun from a distance, some did not see it except in photos after the cruise or on the Thread and the rest (dare I say :confused3 ) avoided them altogether.....

So guys, how did I do summing it up?

And Kay--welcome aboard whenever you are in the mood and have time, chat away. This group will have a different personality and different subgroups and that is fine!!

Jan :hug:

I had decided that we would dress as diplomats quite separate and aside from the whole royalty thing. The thought came to me when I was watching an old movie on TCM.

Quite frankly I think the whole notion of the "formal" and dress-up nights on a cruise (where one is paying good money) utterly ridiculous, and so I decided to co-opt the notion and do formal attire with a vengeance. Hence why I bought us tails, etc.

To my thinking, the only response to a silly notion was to treat it in a silly manner, like a costume event.

As a matter of fact on "Pirate" night, we did not dress up. There was no point, as I felt it was a franchise that had been beaten to death anyway.

But then that's me.

Because it was so difficult for people to admire us on this last cruise, on the next one, we will arrange for a formal meet and greet, for photos with us and autograph book signings.

On this cruise, we are planning on having at least 2 "costume" events. One will be formal night, the other might be an afternoon event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter