• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sept not low crowds anymore?

Keep your reservations for September. We went last week 9/12-9/19. The weekends seemed crowded but the ride times were still pretty good. During the week it was very comfortable touring the park except for after fireworks exiting the park. The MNSSHP was crowded, but I think they are selling more tickets than in the past now, that being said the ride times were super short (just parade, fireworks and line for character meets very crowded). For the most part, 7dmt wait times were between 30min to 70minutes while there and other rides were under 30min waits or no wait at all. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

What I don't understand is the wait time difference between MK and Universal/IoA today. While MK had most rides at a wait time of over 30mins, Universal resort was averaging 20 (Despicable Me and Dudley Do Rights the exceptions). I know Universal has a smaller resort capacity but on a weekend you'd expect numbers to be more equal with local visitors. Does EP vs FP make a difference?

We've been at WDW since Wed, 9/23. We come every year for the opening of Food & Wine (it's also our anniversary). This year was much more crowded than our past trips. There were lines for things like People Mover and small world (we'd NEVER seen this in September.) It wasn't unbearable (rides were running at full capacity), but it wasn't entirely pleasant either. The Halloween party was entirely unpleasant. If this is the new September norm, we will just deal with the crowds another time of year when it's not super hot/humid.

We've been at WDW since Wed, 9/23. We come every year for the opening of Food & Wine (it's also our anniversary). This year was much more crowded than our past trips. There were lines for things like People Mover and small world (we'd NEVER seen this in September.) It wasn't unbearable (rides were running at full capacity), but it wasn't entirely pleasant either. The Halloween party was entirely unpleasant. If this is the new September norm, we will just deal with the crowds another time of year when it's not super hot/humid.

That's exactly what I've been thinking this trip! Think it might be time to move to early December!

This just shows how different days can be. We just got home yesterday. We did small world with 5-10 minutes waits and people mover with no waits at all. All the times we went on the were later in the morning or early afternoon, so not RD. I really think that going to MK on party days makes all the difference. We never waited in a line longer than 10 minutes between RD, FP+, and low crowds.

Looked at MK wait times today (sunday) midday and they were all very reasonable and it's a weekend.

We agree the crowds are bigger...have gone many times during the past 5 years, always during the "slow" times of year. None of the "slow" times this year have been nearly as low as in previous years. Not twice as crowded, but definitely not "empty" as it used to be. Have noticed there is less availability on passholder discounted rooms this year. Used to be for September I could book just about anywhere a month before on passholder discount...this year it was "slim pickin's" for discounted rooms.

This just shows how different days can be. We just got home yesterday. We did small world with 5-10 minutes waits and people mover with no waits at all. All the times we went on the were later in the morning or early afternoon, so not RD. I really think that going to MK on party days makes all the difference. We never waited in a line longer than 10 minutes between RD, FP+, and low crowds.
We encountered slow times and walk on rides too...but generally speaking, just not what we are accustomed to in September.

We were at WDW mid-Dec 2014 (Dec 9-17 & free dining) and then we were there this Sept (free dining). I feel like the crowds were pretty similar. Sept was hot and humid, and Dec was fairly chilly. So choose which weather you like, and go then. I think crowds are about the same. I did love the Christmas decor!!

I was there the same time period (8/29 - 9/12). Yes, we walked on several rides, especially in the morning. However, several rides frequently had more than 30 minute wait posted. Posted test track wait after 10am was never less than 1/2 hour wait for us 8/30, 9/10, 9/11. Posted TSMM wait after 930am was never less than 30 minutes and by 130pm FP were gone 8/31, 9/8. Splash Mountain had long waits at times on 9/4. Space Mountain had several 30 minutes waits posted on 9/2, 9/4, 9/5 and 9/9. Kali River Rapids posted 60+ waits in the afternoon on 9/3, 9/5, 9/11.

Peter Pan was never under 40 mintues except close to park opening/park close and was usually 50 - 60minutes. Character lines were the longest I had ever seen.

Yes, I still think it is a better time to go than most any other time, but for us, it was not walk on rides all day every day.

Sorry you had to wait. That just wasn't my experience. Peter Pan was posted 40, it was maybe 15. Test 30, it was 10. I was at MK and AK on 9/5 and Epcot 9/4. I don't and wouldn't ride Kali so I'll be honest and say I didn't really pay attention to that one. Between FP and rider swap we rode 7DMT 8-9 times and didn't wait. On 9/5 Space said 25 all night but we went on more than once with no FP and it was walk on. Buzz and Woody said 45 and they were 20.

We only waited for one ride and that was TSMM.

Maybe I caught those things at the perfect times, but we just didn't have to wait for anything. I can't wait until next year!

Hi y'all. Just got back from a week at Disney (19th through the 26th) We are from Atlanta and the week of September 21st through the 25th was Fall break from some of the school districts from GA. I think everyone from the GA that had fall break all headed to WDW! The crowds were much higher than last years crowds for the same time frame. I planned our trip around Touring Plans predictions and for the most part they were pretty accurate. The one day that was WAY off...and I mean way off was Monday the 21st at Hollywood Studios. It was slammed! They predicted a 3 or 4 I believe, but it turned out to be a 9!! We got to the park early and knocked out everything we wanted to do and used our FP so although it was crowded we still had a fun time. We have been to Star Wars Weekends twice and neither of those visits were nearly as busy as what we experienced the past week at HS.

Our other park days weren't too bad at all, but I will say it was definitely more crowded than we expected and much more crowded than last year. The other thing I noticed was that there were not as many photographers out and about like our last visit. Makes maximizing the MM a little more difficult, but we still got plenty of great shots.

We will rethink going Fall Break next year, but that week works so well for us to vacation. Has anyone been during February the week of President's day?? (I know President's day is busy, but wondering about the entire week). Touring Plans says 8's, 9's, and 10's. Anyone visited during that time with some insight?

Unless weather is a factor there really isn't such a thing as a period of low crowds. Just lower crowds. The days of going for a whole week and seeing no lines for anything even in the middle of the afternoon have passed. Back many many many moons ago, September was pretty much deserted except for Saturdays and Sundays. And even then they weren't incredibly busy. Those days are long gone. If you can catch MK on a hard ticket event day, crowds are fairly low there more often than not.

Just back, this past week was CRAZY. Not only were my friends shocked, but even people we spoke to in the parks who come regularly were as well. the only quieter day we had was yesterday, out of our 5 days there.

We no longer try to avoid historically high crowd times anymore (except for the holidays). We concentrate more on avoiding heat and humidity.

We no longer try to avoid historically high crowd times anymore (except for the holidays). We concentrate more on avoiding heat and humidity.
That's our new plan too. If there's going to be crowds anyway, may as well deal with them when we're not being melted in the heat!

I have also hear the MK is relatively uncrowded if you go on the day of a ticketed nighttime party. The downside is you have to leave by 7:00 I think, but up until then it can be low crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter