Sept. 23, 2012 Pacific Coast - Wonder Cruise

I know that DCL (and all cruise companies) really push booking excursions through their official list. However the San Fran excursions listed are not very robust (especially for everything that IS there to do and with us having 2 full days there to do it-plus some of them are already booked up and full through Disney) So I wanted to share a program that my husband and I did last spring when we visited San Fran on our anniversary.

I found the "Go Card" though Smart Destinations while researching that trip and it gave us access to TONS of attractions in SF for really really discounted rates and since we have been there and successfully used these Go cards personally without any issues I feel comfortable in giving a recommendation for them.

I honestly do not know forum rules about posting links so if anyone wants me to send you the direct link to the info I am happy to do that---or just Google smart destinations San Francisco Go Card--you can buy a pre determined card or build your own. We saved tons of money (I know I sound like I am selling something but I was SHOCKED at how much we got to do and how much if we had tried to do each thing individually without the card it would have costed)

I am also happy to share about what items we partook in on our Go Card if anyone wants most specifics...

Also the BART and MUNI systems in SF are a breeze to navigate--the entire city is only 7 miles wide and with 2 days there we shouldn't have any worries about making it back to the ship and not being left behind.

I wanted to follow my last post with some information on the San Fran muni system--While SF is a very walkable destination, you can save your feet some and see more if you use their easy to navigate transit systems- they have regular city buses, regular cable cars and historic cable cars that move you from place to place very inexpensively (there is also a BART or subway system as well but thats not anything any of us would likely need.

- they actually offer a Visitor passport system that you can buy in 1 day, 3 day and 7 day increments.

The 1 day passport is only $14 for an adult and gets you unlimited use of the vast bus, and cable car routes (including the historic ones--*not to be confused with trolleys)--MUCH better deal then cabbing it everywhere!!

OR for $69 you can get a City Pass which gives you all of those transit access as well as admission to:

California Academy of Sciences
Blue & Gold Fleet Bay Cruise Adventure
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
Aquarium of the Bay
And one of the following:
Exploratorium, or
de Young Museum and Legion of Honor on one day

I can send links directly as well or Google it ;-) Hope this is helpful for some people... I know I plan to do a lot of walking but the kids may get restless of it and the cable cars are a fun different way to get around

Thank you gunka and erbie! We will continue to work on becoming fully independent. ;)

Windy

:welcome: to all of the new people that have come in the past couple of days!
We are really starting to get a big group together, should make for an interesting meeting in the Promenade Lounge ;)

Now that our whole trip has been extended by two days due to the flights, we've decded not to go straight to Disneyland after the cruise but to spend 2-3 nights driving up the coast to San Luis Obispo and surrounds.

So tell me about car hire from the San Pedro Port? We had a shuttle organised and haven't even looked into car hire so haven't got a clue which companies are closeby?!

Happy Tuesday! Nothing spectacular to report from here other than we are another day closer :cool1:. I have not been as excited about a trip in quite some time.

Everyone have a grand day and have fun with your planning.

:welcome: to all of the new people that have come in the past couple of days!
We are really starting to get a big group together, should make for an interesting meeting in the Promenade Lounge ;)

Now that our whole trip has been extended by two days due to the flights, we've decded not to go straight to Disneyland after the cruise but to spend 2-3 nights driving up the coast to San Luis Obispo and surrounds.

So tell me about car hire from the San Pedro Port? We had a shuttle organised and haven't even looked into car hire so haven't got a clue which companies are closeby?!

I found this in the FAQ's for the port. I'll keep checking for other rental car companies in the area.

What rental car companies service the Port of Los Angeles’ World Cruise Center?
Enterprise Rent-A-Car operates a location near the World Cruise Center, and offers free customer pick-ups and drop-offs to the terminal. This convenient location is open Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and on Saturday on Sunday, from 9 a.m. to noon. To book a reservation, call (310) 548-8060, or visit www.enterprise.com.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car
235 W. 6th Street
San Pedro, CA 90731

I just saw this article on the closure of the 405 Freeway - a major artery near LAX and the cruise port. View the link to get more information, but basically it will be closed the day we get back (Sept. 30). Just be aware and factor this into your plans when you get back to port. Here's the link:

http://www.farecompare.com/news/fre...n=6718462678-NL_072412_deals&utm_medium=email

Just so no one panics ;) (since I know a lot of people are scared of LA traffic) this probably won't affect those heading to the airport very much, but could be an issue for anyone heading to central or No. California. The construction is about 15 or 20 miles north of LAX. The port is south of LAX. So there will be no closures between the port and LAX. And since it will be Sunday morning, the traffic will be lighter anyway.

When they did phase one of this project, they hyped it up so much that very few people got near the freeway. So they had no traffic problems at all. We went to Disneyland on the Sunday of phase one and there were no backups at all on that section of the 405 (between the port area and LAX).

But since people might think since there was no problem last time, I'll just take the freeway this time, it is possible more people will get on the freeway anyway. So if you want a backup plan, instead of taking the 405, you can take the 110 to the 105 West, and that will drop you right at LAX. It will add about 3 miles to the drive but will avoid the 405 completely :thumbsup2 If you have a phone with GPS, I would just do a quick scan of the traffic before you head to the airport.

Not sure if this was already posted but my husband & I are in San Fran now & cruise terminal is Pier 35, just .2 miles from Pier 39 & right after that is Fisherman's Wharf...at fisherman's wharf you can catch cable car up to Union Square where there is lots of shopping. I can post map if I can figure it out when I get home.

jetskigrl thanks for that, I'd read that enterprise was the only one actually at the port. Their website don't exactly make it easy to book does it, I think I'll have to ring them for a proper quote. I want one way from the port to eventually anaheim, plus car seat and gps and it doesn't give you the option for any of those things!
Where would be the next closest area to pick a car up from, is there somewhere closer then the ones near LAX?

jetskigrl thanks for that, I'd read that enterprise was the only one actually at the port. Their website don't exactly make it easy to book does it, I think I'll have to ring them for a proper quote. I want one way from the port to eventually anaheim, plus car seat and gps and it doesn't give you the option for any of those things!
Where would be the next closest area to pick a car up from, is there somewhere closer then the ones near LAX?

OK, that is interesting. I tried travelocity.com and it came up with three options, one of which was the Enterprise location. I started a dummy reservation and I did see the option for the GPS (Navigational system) but I don't see the car seat for Enterprise.

The other two options are Avis in Long Beach (249 E. Ocean Blvd) or Budget in Torrance (20522 Hawthorne Blvd). Both would require a cab ride to the location though. But they do list both car seats and navigational system as options. I thought I read somewhere that the Avis in Long Beach would give credit towards the cab ride, but I can't confirm that. But it would be worth asking if they have a shuttle.

In case anyone was looking at the SF Go Card and was interested in the Children's Creativity Museum and saw that it was supposedly closed from September-October-- I contacted the Zeum directly and they WILL be open on the 26th while we are in port there (see email below) I know I am excited as my oldest son is really into video editing and this place looks GREAT- trying to plan some indoor activities as well in case there is inclement weather and we are off ship so I wanted to share this in case anyone else is in the same planning mode

Cheers:banana:

:

Hi Jessie,

Thank you for your interest in coming to the Children’s Creativity Museum this September. We will be open on September 26th from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. The third party vendor I believe has our hours for last year. The museum is usually open Wednesday through Sunday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We look forward seeing you this fall.

Thank you,

Brian Shapiro
Visitor Service Coordinator
Children’s Creativity Museum
221 Fourth Street, San Francisco, CA 94103

If so, let me know. I can put a list together, since the first FE is now full & closed. I also have feeling there will be some newcomers, now that the guarantee cabins have been opened up. Yay!
Hi Julie

I would love to join the second FE list. I am doing a Disney Dream cruise August 19th with my kids and their FE list doesnt close until the 1st of August ! was surprised to see the cutoff for the other list has come and gone.

My husband Robb and I are cruising on the September 23rd Pacific coast sailing. Please add us to the new list. Dont have stateroom number yet as we are considering moving up a category...

let me know what we need to do to confirm we are on the list

Looking forward to it...

Sheri

WELCOME TO ALL NEW COMERS:yay:

:woohoo::cloud9::banana: Okay all this is off topic from all the other posts. But, I have come up with an idea for my FE and I am super excited about it. Going tomorrow to get the last thing I need if I can find it, then it will be a total go. If I find the things I need and they are not too expensive I will then decide if I should join the second FE :hyper:

I hope you all enjoy activities. My hint is that my gift will be activity based for each port. Should only take a few minutes at most. Therefore, its very important that I make the effort to get them out the first night of our cruise. SOOOO EXCITED!!!!

I do not even know you all but I think I am gonna fall in love with each and everyone of you.

Could someone also confirm that meet and greet. TIME?? PLACE???:thumbsup2

OK, that is interesting. I tried travelocity.com and it came up with three options, one of which was the Enterprise location. I started a dummy reservation and I did see the option for the GPS (Navigational system) but I don't see the car seat for Enterprise.

The other two options are Avis in Long Beach (249 E. Ocean Blvd) or Budget in Torrance (20522 Hawthorne Blvd). Both would require a cab ride to the location though. But they do list both car seats and navigational system as options. I thought I read somewhere that the Avis in Long Beach would give credit towards the cab ride, but I can't confirm that. But it would be worth asking if they have a shuttle.

Thank you! I didn't even think to try a third party website like Travelocity, I just went straight to the enterprise site. And thank you for the other two options :thumbsup2

Ok SoCal locals, looking for tips on parking at port. Last cruise we parked and stayed at the Vagabound Inn, a great deal, but a sketchy hotel and they only provide a shuttle one way. Is there a better (cleaner and better neighborhood) hotel with a parking/shuttle deal or is parking at the port ok?

Hi All!

We just got a quote for this cruise and I think we're gonna jump on it. Can't beat the price! We live in San Diego so no flights required for us and a nice tourist day in our home town if we get off the ship. This will be our third Disney Cruise.

Hi All!

We just got a quote for this cruise and I think we're gonna jump on it. Can't beat the price! We live in San Diego so no flights required for us and a nice tourist day in our home town if we get off the ship. This will be our third Disney Cruise.

Welcome:thumbsup2 Know what you mean about the price. We are from SD as well, at least for a few more days....moving to Norco this weekend.

Ok SoCal locals, looking for tips on parking at port. Last cruise we parked and stayed at the Vagabound Inn, a great deal, but a sketchy hotel and they only provide a shuttle one way. Is there a better (cleaner and better neighborhood) hotel with a parking/shuttle deal or is parking at the port ok?

I've seen many people post good reviews of the Crown Plaza in San Pedro. If I were from out of town, I would pick this place. It is nice and close to the port and has a shuttle. We walk around that area of San Pedro often and have had no problems. We like to visit the Maritime museum, ride the trolleys, watch the fountain show and eat at the Mexican Restaurant (that is right along the channel). I don't know how much it is to park there though.

If I had to, I would be OK leaving my car in the port parking lot too. I'm sure there is a lot of security there and it is just steps away from the front door of the terminal. I haven't heard of anyone having problems in that lot (although stuff happens everywhere).

Hi All!

Welcome aboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter