• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sept 18 2010 WB TransAtlantic Pirates/Capt Jacks Re-Repositioning Repossession Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erik answered back to my questions about content, design, etc., for the lanyards and I responded:

I think Hoagie Pie's words better communicate what I meant to say when I said "That's enough for me." (because that just sounds like I'm not satisfied):

Anyone who is able to create beauty and enjoyment for others and makes it appear easy usually has put much time and effort into it. It's like professionals in anything; they make it look so easy you forget how many hours/years they had to spend to get to that level.

Hats off :cheer2: to everyone who has the best intentions on this board for creating a memorable cruise for your fellow DIS members.

I would rather we talk out issues - that is communication - than be :mad: because we didn't express ourselves. There are a number of posts on various threads where somebody says something and everybody jumps on them in a way I cannot fathom you would do in person.

I could not agree more, I suppose the trouble is when you are speaking you can be smiling at the same time, it is difficult when typing.:cutie:
Sometimes I read others posts and they have put it much better way than I have wanted to say!
I for one could pay for mine to get posted from usa, it doesnt seem fair somebody has to carry them here.

Already I cant wait to meet everyone!

brooklyn They are cute pictures.

I for one could pay for mine to get posted from usa, it doesnt seem fair somebody has to carry them here.

I thought about that too; mail them to us ahead of time; one lanyard in each of our suitcases versus bunches in Erik's would help his luggage allowance. It definitely is easier when you can ship something down to Orlando (for us USA- based people). And he could just send us the name tags without having to insert them into the plastic holder to save him time. Maybe we can make his life a little easier. He knows he can ask when he :surfweb: this.

Okay, what is "SNP" in your country of bagpipes and whiskey (under your avatar)?

scottish national party
political party in charge of scotland,

I was wondering about a book swap halfway through the cruise? :confused3 did you guys do that on your last cruise, maybe not even a swap I always just bin the book as they are extra wt to take home after I read them? maybe this is just me though, If others would read them that would be cool, lynne

I made luggage tags last cruise with our logo and posted them to folks, I know how much work that was:scared1: , so can only imagine the effort that goes into lanyards,updating websites and other stuff you guys do.
Thanks again

I was wondering about a book swap halfway through the cruise? :confused3 did you guys do that on your last cruise, maybe not even a swap I always just bin the book as they are extra wt to take home after I read them? maybe this is just me though, If others would read them that would be cool, lynne

What a good idea! I never go anywhere w/o a book or two, and trading books over the course of 2 weeks sounds great to me (always assuming we have similar tastes ;) ).

I made luggage tags last cruise with our logo and posted them to folks, I know how much work that was:scared1: , so can only imagine the effort that goes into lanyards,updating websites and other stuff you guys do.
Thanks again

Yes, we have an amazing bunch going on this cruise. Just the fact that Eric would volunteer to take on the lanyards, knowing what's involved, is a minor miracle to me. And having seen the previous lanyards, I trust him 100%. I just wish I lived closer so I could contribute more than $.

It appears that everyone loves the Lanyard idea, but the big arguement seems to be the design for this little bobble.... The one design that has been floated out there seems to be to somes liking but not to others. SOooooo why can't both designs be on the lanyard so everyone feels like part of the group. If we can put Brooklyn's Design on 1 side why not Disney Vegas1's Design on the other of the name tag. Then it would be personal choice what side you want to put your name on as to your likeing. The Lanyard itself you can keep the thread name with no pictures except for maybe the DCL emblem.

On a thread such as this, everyone's thoughts are gonna have to be taken in to account or else there are gonna be fractures that have occurred in other threads of this size.

Not sure if this has been talked about here yet or not.

I just spoke to DCL and they did verify that they are no longer charging the fuel surcharge. She then told me that there is nothing I can do about it though if we already booked and have it on our reservation. I was not so happy with that answer. The fares have gone up slightly for the cruise but not to the difference of the fuel surcharge.

The rate for our cat 11 for 2 adults went up $187.20 and the fuel surcharge was $224. I was ready to just rebook, it is only $40 but every little bit helps. For our 2nd room the difference was more around $50.

So I asked to talk to a manager. He said that they are going to base the fuel surcharge rate as to the cost of a barrel of gasoline on Dec 15th. We then will receive and onboard credit :-)banana:) of the difference of what we paid. He said we will get our money back but as an onboard credit. Hey I will take that!

As of today the price pe barrel is $52...let's hope it keeps dropping! Between our 2 rooms we have $490 in fuel surcharges. I will be happy to have that in an onboard credit! :banana:

So I asked to talk to a manager. He said that they are going to base the fuel surcharge rate as to the cost of a barrel of gasoline on Dec 15th. We then will receive and onboard credit :-)banana:) of the difference of what we paid. He said we will get our money back but as an onboard credit. Hey I will take that!

GREAT NEWS!

I just spoke to DCL and they did verify that they are no longer charging the fuel surcharge. She then told me that there is nothing I can do about it though if we already booked and have it on our reservation. I was not so happy with that answer. The fares have gone up slightly for the cruise but not to the difference of the fuel surcharge.

The rate for our cat 11 for 2 adults went up $187.20 and the fuel surcharge was $224. I was ready to just rebook, it is only $40 but every little bit helps. For our 2nd room the difference was more around $50.

As of today the price pe barrel is $52...let's hope it keeps dropping! Between our 2 rooms we have $490 in fuel surcharges. I will be happy to have that in an onboard credit! :banana:

That is great news!

2.) It ended up becoming a VERY long and complicated process trying to get everyone's input, incorporate everyone's ideas and make everyone happy ("I don't like that font"..."The red is too bright, can you tone it down?"..."I don't like the treasure chest image you chose, I'm attaching thirty others for you to choose from"..."I'm not sure about the background color. Can you make it with blue, green, white, purple and yellow and post them side by side so I can decide?"..."I think the letters should be bigger"..."I think the letters should be smaller"....you get the idea :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: ).

I can relate! DH is an Art Director :lmao: He lives that everyday.

I haven't posted for a while because I was on a cruise then I started my new job at Target. As far as the Indie cruise--I really like all the things to do like the rock wall, ice rink and flow rider BUT way too many people!! :scared1: Also there were no activities for families. We had nothing to do at night. Both DCL and the larger RCCL ships have positives and negatives. I would love to see DCL put a rock wall or something like that on the new ships. Other than the kiddie slide there is nothing. Also, the buffet on RCCL blows DCL away. DCL has better service, shows, kids/family activities and dining room food IMO.

I also decided that cruising in the fall/winter is not for me.(Oct-March) Too cold.

I hope everyone is well and had a wonderful holiday (for those in the US).

I was so going to stay away from this one, but for some reason I just can't.

I was on the recent double dip where Erik headed up the lanyards along with Hadley and I was on the lanyard team. I have to commend Erik, Jason, and Hadley for all the hard work that went into the lanyards they were incredible and were not only a great icebreaker, but a wonderful souvenir and reminder of all the nice folks we meet on the cruise:goodvibes
Rant on
I'm not sure everyone understands how big of an undertaking this is and at this point I fear it is really turning into too many cooks in the kitchen. I trust Erik and I'm totally fine with whatever design or colors are chosen for the lanyards.
Honestly they are lanyards it is not the end of the world if you don't get the design or color of your choice on them.
Rant off

Brooklyn your DD is just beautiful! It looks like she was having the time of her life on set. Also thanks for the information about the fuel surcharge an OBC would be peachy keen:cool1:

I just spoke to DCL and they did verify that they are no longer charging the fuel surcharge. She then told me that there is nothing I can do about it

QUOTE]

I was wondering that too. I wonder how much it will be for us? 2 cabins and 8 people.

Did anyone else get a letter from DCL about the taxes/fees going up and that we would have to pay it? It's just under $8.00pp. I was a little POed at that.:mad: I mean shouldn't DCL just eat the cost of that? If I get the fuel surcharge back than I won't be as mad but, still.

Between my OBC for booking onboard and my fuel surcharge OBC(maybe) I am getting closer to having my tips paid. :thumbsup2

I just spoke to DCL and they did verify that they are no longer charging the fuel surcharge. She then told me that there is nothing I can do about it

QUOTE]

I was wondering that too. I wonder how much it will be for us? 2 cabins and 8 people.

Did anyone else get a letter from DCL about the taxes/fees going up and that we would have to pay it? It's just under $8.00pp. I was a little POed at that.:mad: I mean shouldn't DCL just eat the cost of that? If I get the fuel surcharge back than I won't be as mad but, still.

Between my OBC for booking onboard and my fuel surcharge OBC(maybe) I am getting closer to having my tips paid. :thumbsup2

I didn't get the letter but noticed the change in fare when I log in on their website. Yes one would think they would eat that cost. I feel the same way, if I get my fuel surcharge back then I will be ok with the extra taxes.

Our fuel surcharges were...
2 people - $224
3 people - $266

I think they do $112 for the first 2 people each and $42 for the 3rd and 4th. I could be wrong though.

. . . So I asked to talk to a manager. He said that they are going to base the fuel surcharge rate as to the cost of a barrel of gasoline on Dec 15th. We then will receive and onboard credit of the difference of what we paid.
Let's hope the fuel price is down on Dec. 15.

Woody

Amen to that. I've often wondered how anyone in the UK or Europe affords housing, private schools, vacation during August, etc... and VAT on everything. And the countries with cradle to grave socialized everything. We Americans are very fortunate to have had so many years living well; I am hopeful that the current world economic destabilization is just a short-lived self-correction.
Funny you should mention VAT as we've just had VAT cut today! Did anyone notice a massive discount? My sister saved a full 54p on a pair of shoes! WOHOW! LOL!

I apologize for the way my post concerning the lanyards came across. I in no way intended to minimize the work involved because I know it is very time consuming or offend anyone with my thoughts. I commend anyone willing to take on this challenge. Erik, thank you for your well thought out response and am sorry if I offended you. I did not intend to start anything negative on this thread, I was just giving my thoughts and as I re-read my post, I did it poorly.

I will contribute to the cost of the lanyards and help in any other way possible.

Donna

I don't care what the lanyards look like... do the tags in crayon for all I care.

BUT

I really did like the thinner lanyards on the first TA.;)

I'll wear my mine like it's a religious emblem no matter what.:)

Oh I agree! I prefered the thinner ones to the thicker ones!

I didn't get the letter but noticed the change in fare when I log in on their website. Yes one would think they would eat that cost. I feel the same way, if I get my fuel surcharge back then I will be ok with the extra taxes.

Our fuel surcharges were...
2 people - $224
3 people - $266

I think they do $112 for the first 2 people each and $42 for the 3rd and 4th. I could be wrong though.

Yes you are right. I just found the paper and the fuel "supplement" for our cruise is $112 for guests 1 and 2 then $42 for guests 3,4,5. ---That's $616 for us.

The letter for the increase in government taxes and fees is dated 11/25 and it's $7.57pp. "As a result, there is a need to collect an additional $7.57 per person. This amount will be reflected on future confirmations"

My first thought was to write DCL a letter informing them of the the drop in oil prices and as a result a need to drop my fuel "supplement". That amount will be relfected in future payments. ;)

"SHE" has a name and it is Stephanie

Yes I am going to put myself out there. I am not a fan of POC....I have not even seen the movies. I did not even watch POC 3 when it premiered on the TA last year. I do have buttons though that they gave us on the cruise that I scrapbooked! :)

Todd, you are right, I did not tweak anything. I designed something completly different because that is what I do. I do graphic design for a living. I enjoyed creating my design and I actually really like it. We have communicated since the creation of my "very contraversal" logo. You have not seemed happy with me creating it from the beginning. That is why I chose to put your "official" logo in my signaute. I was hoping not to ruffle your feathers anymore then I seemed to already have.

The cruise banner and logo was set weeks prior to HER arrival....How can a logo be made weeks before my arrival when the cruise was not even on sale. It is silly. Everyone on these boards should have the right to do whatever they want on THEIR vacation.

The DIS boards are a great way to communicate and meet people before getting on board. It is great you started this thread weeks before it went on sale. Most people did not even join the thread till after the cruise even went on sale. Just because I am a part of the ONLY thread the DIS Boards allow us to have (one per sailing) does not mean that I have to embrace everything that the OP says/does/makes. So if I would have started this thread on Sept 10th and made this logo then would you put it in your signature?

If people want to use my logo great, if they don't that is fine too. I did not create it saying "here i made an official logo" It was my signature and people contacted me asking to have it for their signature. It is silly to think with military members dying over seas, terriorist attacks in India and the financial crisis of this country there are not better things to talk about then "her design"

I have given countless hours along with a lot of money to do the website for this cruise. Not only the cost of hosting and the purchase of the domain name, every hour I spend on the website costs me lost dollars from my own buisness. I LOVE doing it though. I love all of the people I have gotten to know. It is be a great experience and I can't wait to get to know everyone even more! I also love re-connecting with those I have cruised with in the past.

IMO - Since we are all about giving our opinions here on this board....POC fit better in the Panama Canal. When I think of Europe and crossing the Atlantic is much more romantic and elegant...again IMO. :)

Stephanie I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying that we really appreciate the website and everything you've done. I love both tags so it doesn't bother me. I understand what you mean about the POC theme as I guess the Panama cruises were more caribbean orientated and this is more Europe orientated. I love the fact that yours has the flags on though see nothing wrong with the other one either so don't have any real arguement for either but I just wanted to let you know that you are doing a fantastic job and it is appreciated from this side of the pond!

Funny you should mention VAT as we've just had VAT cut today! Did anyone notice a massive discount? My sister saved a full 54p on a pair of shoes! WOHOW! LOL!

The VAT is out of control! I was glad to get back 200 us after my trip to Paris last spring. Isn't it like 17%?!? What did it get cut to?

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay in website updates. Things have been crazy here in SoCal!

The roll call and gift exchange pages have been updated. I have also added all of the great transatlantic menus thanks to Sarah.

If there is anything else that anyone has to add to the site please let me know.

Thanks!
Stephanie

WOHOW just had a nose on the website and it looks great. Thanks for adding the menus they look really good over there and it means everyone can easily find them now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter