*Sept 10th 2011 WB Transatlantic* - From Spain to Space Mountain - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
:):):) Thank you so much for the welcome back messages.... can't believe how much has been posted since last night !!!.... I must make sure to check the Dis everyday, it's been like rediscovering an old friend.

It's so exciting for those getting cabin assignments at the moment, because we booked with our DVC points we are staying put, no upgrades for us, but like others we are just happy to be on the magic :thumbsup2

It's been such a lovely day here, I've hand washed some of my dresses and have been watching them drying on the washing line. It's getting real now.:cloud9: And I've managed to lose 2 stone 4 lbs, so I can breath in them, which is very helpful :rotfl2::rotfl2: the only trouble is I'm sure that 2 stone will be waiting to catch up with me onboard the magic !!

On the general forum I noticed they sometimes have special offers of $30 for a bag of washing. Does anybody know if this includes all items i.e evening dresses and is it worth considering ?

My fingers are crossed for tomorrow, is it the day we find out if our group Palo ressies have been successful:thumbsup2

margaret

What many of you should realise and fully understand before the cruise is that food on a DCL cruise contain absolutely no calories whatsoever.:thumbsup2;)

Yes, that's so true! And it helps to work off those free calories in Rockin Bar D! :thumbsup2

:yay::dance3::banana::cool1:We got ours 6592!!!:cool1::banana::cool1::banana::cheer2:

Congratulations!! Makes it seem more real now with a room assigned! :banana:

For years, I have used 2-gallon freezer Ziploc bags and have recently used the XL Ziploc storage bags. Keeps stuff together and dry (in case suitcases get transported to the plane on an open cart or someone else's luggage contents leak. Also helps compress the contents. TSA can see what's inside since they are clear. (Not to belittle the cubes - I started this years ago.)

I like those old oaks and the "country" look of the neighborhood. We also don't have curbs and gutters in our neighborhood; hence, the appearance of being out in the country - along with large lots (most of us sit on an acre, having been built in the early 1960s).

I used to use the zip lock bags too, esp when the kids were little - one for each outfit. Worked great for military exercises too (camo shirt, socks and unmentionables). I heard about the packing cubes last year and am hooked! I still use alot of ziplocks (all liquids go double bagged in them) and I pack lots of extra baggies in various sizes to put snacks, wipes, wet garments, etc

We had our house built in 2000 and were one of the first ones in the neighborhood. The land orginally was a ranch and then a tree farm and pecan nursery. We have about 6 different varieties of pecans. Most of the trees are live oaks or pecan trees. The wildlife is abundant, including the wild pigs who have been making a mess of things looking for food (they eat wet roots). They usually stay in the woods on the other side of the highway but its been so dry here in Texas they are going after grass that gets watered. :sad2:

Just got my assignment #6600. I went from 5c to 5b

Now I'm really excited!!!!

See you all soon!! I fly in on the 10th on Delta--land at 8:55 AM. Anyone else on that flight (DL14) from Atlanta.

Sandy

I seriously need a 12-step program! "Hello, my name is Tammy and I'm a Disney Cruiseaholic..."

So, I had a B2B Dream cruise booked for next May with a few days before and after at WDW. Today I cancelled the WDW portions and booked the July and August "cruise to nowhere" out of New York. I seriously need some help. :rolleyes1 Total of 18 nights cruising next year vs. 14 this year. Next year is way better for my Castaway Club "rank" though since it is 5 cruises vs. 1! :rotfl:

We got our assignment! :goodvibes No upgrade other than changing the cabin location - we booked an 11C GTY and got an 11A on deck 6. I am very happy w/ the cabin location & proximity to elevators and stuff.

So, I guess this means we are really going on this cruise huh??? :laughing:

We consider ourselves relatively (or somewhat depending on the day) intelligent but we're also going nuts trying to figure out some of the mnemonics. We also tend to make things more difficult than they are. Does DH stand for Disney Husband (as opposed to non-disney husband), Darling Husband, Dear Husband, Damn Husband, etc.? thanks, Jean and Charlie
Actually, your choice of those depends on the context of the usage :rotfl2: DH who let me sign up for the WBTA after I already did the PC this year is totally different from the DH who bought TWO pairs of expensive skis last year, ukwim?

I read Tipping Point about ten years ago when it first came out. Is there any reason to re-read it before going into Blink or Outliers just as a refresher?
No, I don't think so. I just wondered if you had.

Linda, if last year's is anything to go by one sweater will be quite adequate. I won't be taking a jacket as such, but we do have our lightweight roll up little showerproof cagoules anyway as we will be staying in Orlando for 5 weeks afterwards and it can be rainy then. Last year they were never unrolled so hopefully this year they won't be either.

Thank you. I'll go with that.

I seriously need a 12-step program! "Hello, my name is Tammy and I'm a Disney Cruiseaholic..."

So, I had a B2B Dream cruise booked for next May with a few days before and after at WDW. Today I cancelled the WDW portions and booked the July and August "cruise to nowhere" out of New York. I seriously need some help. :rolleyes1 Total of 18 nights cruising next year vs. 14 this year. Next year is way better for my Castaway Club "rank" though since it is 5 cruises vs. 1! :rotfl:
Yup - you've drunk the kool aid all right.:rotfl:

Got mine too!! I had an 11C GTY and got an 11B...but it's a sideways room on deck 5 (5005), so i'm happy with that!! It's right over the theater, but I don't plan on being in my room during the shows so that's okay. It's better than being over the movie theater...DH and I were over it on the Dream, and it was LOUD especially during Tron. Or on the back of the Dream when we were over the clubs...THAT was INSANELY loud until like 2am... :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Me, too! (assuming it is the US Air flight - times match up)

Yes, Tammy, that's the one I'm on! :cool1: I see you're from MD. I was born and raised in Baltimore (or Bal'more as they say, right, hon? :lmao:)I'm making MD style crab cakes for dinner. They're in the broiler now, and I'm having my dessert first! (strawberries and nonfat whipped cream! ):cloud9: DH is taking a class, DD is at marching band practice, DS is in Sweden so its just me and the cats! All 3 of them are eagerly waiting to try them! :rotfl2:

Just got my assignment #6600. I went from 5c to 5b

Now I'm really excited!!!!

See you all soon!! I fly in on the 10th on Delta--land at 8:55 AM. Anyone else on that flight (DL14) from Atlanta.

Sandy

Same flight, different day, we get in on the 8th for a couple of days roaming Barcelona!

Congrats to those with room assignments/upgrades :goodvibes

For those people who have already been to Barcelona could you tell me what your favorite attractions were. We are trying to plan out what to see, and do. Just checked and it will cost us U$35 just to see Sagrada Familia, is that worth it? That's alot of money to see a church :eek: We are also planning a day trip to Montserrat and any tips would be appreciated :flower3:

We used to live at the subdivision next door to Stoneybrook EAST (Eastbrook) Stoneybrook West is on the other end of Colonial/50...

NO FAIR!!! I still don't have mine...it's getting close to 5 in FL, so i'm guessing I will STILL be waiting tomorrow.....:headache:

I see you are from Ocoee. We are moving to FL, and right now my DH is staying at my MIL's in Stoneybrook West. We've looked at a couple of subdivisions in Ocoee, but haven't decided for sure...which is just fine, because my house here hasn't "decided" to sell yet!! :sad2:

I don't know for sure, but it seems like I read a cruise report that said that it couldn't be anything that had to be pressed (just folded)

:):):) Thank you so much for the welcome back messages.... can't believe how much has been posted since last night !!!.... I must make sure to check the Dis everyday, it's been like rediscovering an old friend.

It's so exciting for those getting cabin assignments at the moment, because we booked with our DVC points we are staying put, no upgrades for us, but like others we are just happy to be on the magic :thumbsup2

It's been such a lovely day here, I've hand washed some of my dresses and have been watching them drying on the washing line. It's getting real now.:cloud9: And I've managed to lose 2 stone 4 lbs, so I can breath in them, which is very helpful :rotfl2::rotfl2: the only trouble is I'm sure that 2 stone will be waiting to catch up with me onboard the magic !!

On the general forum I noticed they sometimes have special offers of $30 for a bag of washing. Does anybody know if this includes all items i.e evening dresses and is it worth considering ?

My fingers are crossed for tomorrow, is it the day we find out if our group Palo ressies have been successful:thumbsup2

margaret

That was the last we saw of Todd...

My first thought was "oh no poor guy" :sad2:, immediately followed by "the silly things people will do" :headache: and finished up with the panic of a former law school student "oh my goodness... he didn't finish the semester, which means he didn't get credit and is a semester behind which will delay graduating, sitting for the bar and getting a job." :scared1::eek::scared1:

We went to one and it was on the lower half. We found it pretty good.

Thank you for the tip. I googled Carrefore to see if there were other stores in the Barcelona area (the thought of lugging my stash of libations back to my hotel was not a pleasant one). There's one two blocks away from my hotel!!! Close enough for a pre-check out run the morning of the cruise.

I was wondering if anyone had any plans to do a small memorial for the tenth anniversary of 9/11.

I think this is a wonderful idea and I would like to attend, whatever we end up doing. Remembering is the least we can do.

When we went a few years ago, I booked our tickets on us.disneylandparis.com and printed them from home and took them with us.

It looks like a one-day park hopper ticket is going for $72 right now.

- Chris

:worship::worship: THANK YOU!!! You just made my day. I had looked at the site the other day, but the park hopper option is not obvious, you have to actually start the check out process. And, if I've done my conversion correctly (who knows:confused:) this is actually cheaper than the one sold on the british site. Woo Hoo.

No room assignment yet!!!!

So happy for all that have been pixied! We are hoping for a little but are so excited about going at this point we just want the clock to speed up!

..and then it was next door to Borders for their going out of business sale. Bought Freakanomics and 3 of Malcom Gladwell's books (Blink, Outliers and What the Dog Saw). I need to get back into reading!
I plan on going to Borders on Saturday and pick up some books this weekend for the trip.

Sandy
We are flying on the 8th and landing on the 9th out of Atlanta.

Congrads on everyone with there upgrades and room assignments... Still hoping we can get a upgrade at the port, would love a veranda..however just glad to be on this trip

Congrats to those with room assignments/upgrades :goodvibes

For those people who have already been to Barcelona could you tell me what your favorite attractions were. We are trying to plan out what to see, and do. Just checked and it will cost us U$35 just to see Sagrada Familia, is that worth it? That's alot of money to see a church :eek: We are also planning a day trip to Montserrat and any tips would be appreciated :flower3:

Last year when we did the Med, we arrived by overnight train and had a few hours to kill before going to the port so we asked the taxi driver at the train station to tour us (we negotiated a price beforehand). We toured the outside of the Sagrada (walked completely around it taking photos) while he waited with our luggage. We then went to Park Guell and was there for about 45 min. He dropped us off right at the entrance. We then went to see the Olympic stadium, followed by the Castle in Montjuic where we got some great photos of the Magic. After that, he drove us along Passeig de Gracia, where we stopped to photograph the exterior of the Gaudi houses, then drove down the Ramblas to see the activity there, then he dropped us off at the ship. All this was free, so our only cost was the cab and it gave us a great overview of the city. We paid him 120 euro plus tip for 3 hours.
After the cruise, we toured the Ramblas including the boqueria and we also went to the cathedral in the Gothic Quarter (its free to get in in the am). DS got a haircut while DD and I shopped for some really nice ceramics. We headed back to the ship in the afternoon to continue a B2B. DH got his luggage and checked into a hotel for his early flight back the next morning.
This year's med, we spent 2 days before and 2 days after the cruise. Pre-cruise, we stayed north of Placa de Catalunya at the Hotel Continental Palacete and really enjoyed its location to the Gaudi homes and shopping on the Passeig de Gracia. DD and I shopped all morning the day we arrived while the boys slept, then in the afternoon we went to Casa Mila (Pedrera), one of the Gaudi homes. Loved it, esp the roof! In the evening, DH and I had a very nice dinner in Barceloneta at 7 Portes. Its very close to the metro stop and the metro was very easy to use. We met another american couple while waiting for a table and asked if they wanted to join us. Had excellent rich mans (or was it called poor mans?) paella and a few pitchers of sangria with our tablemates!! We wound up closing down the restaurant so DH and I took a taxi back since the metro had stopped running. Its a very different crowd that walks the Ramblas late at night. :scared1: The next day, we visited the Picasso museum (free for kids under 16 so we only had to pay for DH and I). I loved the museum and they have a fantastic museum shop. We ate lunch at a place nearby close to the metro www.restaruantenervion.com and they handed us a tourist menu but they also sold bocadillos (sandwiches) and pizza (neither was on the menu they gave us) so that's what we ordered. I had wonderful churros and chocolate for dessert. We wound up getting 2 more orders of churros only, they were so good and hot! YUM!!:cloud9:
DD and DH were tired so they went back to the hotel, and DS and I took the metro to the Arc de Triomph to visit the Chocolate Museum. That area is very nice too strolling the park there. Well, we spent almost an hour looking for the museum and actually walked right by it, beside it, around it, stopping several times for directions from locals. We wound up in a local plaza in a nearby neighborhood close to the Gothic quarter and sat down to get our bearings. I saw 2 boys running with an open backpack, then a few min later, a family frantically running trying to find them. The boys headed down a narrow alley and I pointed the family that way. Don't know what the outcome was, but be careful of your stuff. Do not lay things down, even for a minute. Wear your backpack (or better yet, don't carry one). DS 14 wore a sling bag across him - he was in charge of carrying water bottles, snacks, the umbrella and guidebook (Frommers Barcelona Day by Day, an invaluable resource:thumbsup2) . I had my small camera, iphone, and cards/money in my pacsafe purse that I wore across my body. We finally found the chocolate museum and DS 14 said that was one of his favorite things to see in Barcelona! I think he also enjoyed the fact it was just he and I and he didn't have to compete with DD 15! ;) That night we went to Taller de Tapas for a Dismeet tapas dinner with 42 people! Fun times!
After the cruise, we stayed at the Fira Palace in Montjuic (I picked this because of its location to what I had planned for the next 2 days). We dropped off luggage and headed to the base of Montjuic. At the grounds where there was the National Museum of Catalunya, we stopped to take in the views of the city and listen to a guitarist. I wished we had time for the museum but we wound up hiking up to the Castle again (it was a hike - we rested on the way). Got great photos of the Magic once again, then took the cable car down to the base of Montjuic. That evening, we went to Poble Espanol to see the flamenco dancing at Tablao de Carmen. You get free entrance 2 hours prior to the show (we did tapas and show). The tapas were plentiful enough that we were stuffed! The flamenco dancing was good - the show lasted about 1 hour. We saw the first show of the Magic Fountains on our walk back to our hotel. It was still light at 9pm though in July and is much more spectacular in the dark.:)
The next day DD was not feeling well so DH stayed behind while DS and I went to Montserrat. There was a huge Harley festival going on with at least 10,000 bikes parading past our hotel that morning! We walked thru the festival to the Espana station, and purchased our train tickets. We opted for the cable ride up (you have to decide once you buy your ticket). We had just missed the train so we went back to enjoy more of the Harley festival.
Since it was Sunday, a service was going on in the basilica. DS did not want to visit any churches (guess he had his fill after 10 nts of cruising) and the line to the Madonna was very long so I did miss that. And the boys choir was on vacation for the summer. We took a second cable called the Joan Muro to another part of the mountains. DS really enjoyed the cable cars.
We got back and had dinner with DH and DD. Most restaurants don't start serving till late, so we got some bread and chees at a local shop to hold us over. After, DS and I went back to the Harley festival to hear a band, and I went to buy a shirt for a friend. We fiinished our last night by seeing the Magic Fountains around 10:30pm. They were much more spectacular in the dark! If you want, FB me (put in the comments that you are on this cruise so I know who you are), and you can see my photo album - its called DCL Barcelona 2011.
OK, this sounds like a trip report!!!:goodvibes I loved everything we did but was not a big fan of the lower Ramblas other than the Boqueria. Once down was enough. :) My personal don't misses are Sagrada (at least the outside), Casa Mila, Park Guell, Picasso museum, and find some good paella and sangria!:cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter