Sep 4- Sept 11 An Overdued Honeymoon Trip!

sky7777

Earning My Ears
Dear all,

First of all, I am glad I found this forum and thanks all for having such great and informative site!

I will be bringing my wife to Disney from Sept 4-Sept 11 for our "overdued" honeymoon trip.:p

- We will be staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for all 7 nights
- we bought the 5-days hopper pass
- we also bought 5-days for the price of 2 Universal Pass
- we are NOT renting a car

Since we are staying at Disney, then we are going to utilize the extra Magic-hours thing - 8am, we planned for the following:

9/4 (Sat) - not sure if we should waste our pass.

9/5 (Sun) - Magic Kingdom

9/6 (Mon) - Animal Kingdom

9/7 (Tue) - MGM

9/8 (Wed) - Epcot

9/9 (Th) - Universal Studio

9/10 (Fri) - Island of Adventure

9/11 (Sat) - undecided...

So my questions to all u experts are:

1) What do you think of my plan?

2) If we want to get to the respective disney theme parks by 8.00 am, what are the best ways to get there in time?

3) Even the theme parks opened at 8am, but not all the rides are opened at that time, right?

4) Where do u suggest us to have breakfast...given we have to be there by 8am at the gates? (and given we are not bringing our own food)

5) What is the best way to get to and return from Universal Studio or IOA?

6) For a honeymoon trip, where do u suggest us to have a great and romantic dinner? any info i can make early reservation?

I really don't have much time left to read all the threads and tips in this site, so....maybe those of u who went there b4 can throw me some quick tips - MUST KNOWs...MUST WATCH....MUST PLAY........???? Anything....I will gratefully take it....!

Thanks in advance....

Sky

1) Excellent idea not to "waste" your pass on saturday as the path of Frances, though uncertain does not look good for Fla on Saturday, especially central Florida

2) I don't know which days which park has EMH--but assuming you have checked and listed accordingly--busses should be running at least by 7:30am--and from AKL--they should take you direct to any theme park you like. Be sure to board the correct bus as each park is serviced by its own bus.

3)correct--not all rides are open--but the pretty popular ones usually are--for MK--the mountains should be open, for MGM--TOT and RNR should be open, AK--I don't know, for EPCOT--I think TT and Mission Space should be open.

4)Your quick service restaurant at AKL should open by 7 or 7:30--but seeing as you are on your honeymoon--why not breakfast with Pooh at Crystal Palace (make PS before you go) in the Magic Kingdom--otherwise--the parks have bakeries that sell breakfast fare. There is also the princess breakfast in EPCOT and cinderella's breakfast in the castle--BUT these ressies are hard to get.

5) since you do not have a rental car--perhaps a MEARS shuttle or taxi is the best way to get to Universal--but it might be cheaper to rent a car for the day from National which is on sight at Disney--evidently they will bring the car to you at your hotel. since you want to go for 2 days to the Universal property--you might be able to wrangle a decent 2-day deal.

6)Romantic Dinner--Victoria and Albert's--you should do it at least once in a lifetime--requires a jacket, but if you don't have one or forget one--they will loan you one. Very romantic--your menu's come personallized with your name on them--a lovely souvenir for your honeymoon. Also, California Grill at Contemporary is nice--you can book around the time of fireworks and enjoy fireworks while you dine. There is also Narcoosee's at Grand Floridian--I mention it b/c others might--you can see the fireworks as well. The menu is gourment and created daily based on what cuisine has been flown in that morning. We went and enjoyed the fireworks but not the dinner--it was too gourmet for us--but if that is you cup of tea and you have a little adventure in you--it might be enjoyable. Also--heard from some other honeymooners that Cinderella's royal table can be romantic especially if you make it known that it is your honeymoon. You can see the fireworks from there as well--but I thought the windows were stained glass--so you may not have a clear picture, though the ambiance is sure to be nice.

Be sure to do a dinner in EPCOT--we fancied the Bistro in France which is upstairs above Chefs de Paris. Rose and Crown pub can be nice if you sit outside for dinner.

Best of all -- ENJOY your honeymoon--get some mickey and minnie bride and groom hats and just enjoy it.

Lisa, thanks for the quick response and great advice.

Some concerns:

1) Few of the dining places u suggested need advanced reservation, so I guess with such short notice, I think it would be hard for me to get something....should I still try calling them? And the number is....?

2) Yeah, thinking of renting a car for last 3 days..so that we can drive to Universal and the airport on our way back, but with the rental, gas, and parkings, u think it's still worth renting a car? If I am renting a car at the Animal Kingdowm Lodge, what's the car rental company they have there?

Boy, now I am nervous...! There are so many info and tips here...and I dont think i have enough time to go through them....hope we will have a great trip even without knowing whole lot of "tips"! :p

Hopefully Hurricane Frances will not ruin our trip....

Thanks....

Sky

There are no car rental desks at the resorts.

Alamo has a desk at the Disney Care Care Center. Your hotel can arrange shuttle service to get you to the CCC.

I would definitely research rates on rental cars. Many places offer discounts for full week rentals. Between what you will pay for airport transportation upon arrival and a rental car for 3 days, just extending the rental for your entire stay may be cheaper.

A cab to and from Universal for at least two days is definitely not the way to go.

I would also check with your airline to see if your flight is affected. Make sure your reservation has your contact number.

If you are trying to get here on Saturday good luck.

1) Romantic Dinner--
the best dinner we've had at Disney was at Jiko's. My DH took me there for my birthday, and they were attentive--and Goofy called me to wish me a happy birthday! We at at Victoria and Alberts a few years ago, but I honestly liked Jiko better.

2) Maximize AKL--Frances is going to impact your trip and you should plan to make the most of enjoying the amazing resort which is the AKL. Boma has an outstanding buffet breakfast, and Mara's breakfast food is very good.

3) Given that hurricae recovery might be an unintended part of your week, I would give the 2 days at Universal serious thought. Unless you are a ride fanatic (and IOA's rides are outstanding!) I would consider lingering more at the Disney parks and not having to hurry so much. We finally made it to the Comedy Club on this last trip and wondered why it took so long. We need 2 days at Epcot, MK, and MGM to really feel like we've "done" it

4) is there any way you can go thursday or friday? I guessing you might be in for a terrible disappointment if you are expecting to fly on saturday. Frances may be a CAT 5 when she hits

Now I am getting more worried. Should i call the airline and ask? But they wouldn't know whether there will be cancellation until Hurricane Frances actually hit Orlando, right?

Pls advise..

They are reissuing tickets for this weekend if you ask. If the weather is anywhere near Orlando they won't be flying. The airports along the east coast aren't going to be either.

Call now before everyone else decides to call.

Dear all,

I just the airline (Air Trans Airline), they said they are waiving the FEE to change the air ticket. Given the fact I am not too familiar how this Hurricane Frances going to affect Orlando or when it is going to come and leave....

1) Should I go Friday night? 10 seats left now! But then, I will have to add another night in my Animal Kingdom Lodge stay. Should I find a cheap place to stay before moving in to Animal Kingdom Lodge on Sat?

Say we arrive Friday night, then what do u all recommend me to do on the coming RAINING or BAD WEATHER DAYS???

2) Should I go Sunday? But I worried the hurricane is still there affecting the area.

Urgent advice needed....

My coworkers suggested me to postpone my vacation for maybe another week. Bcos even they hurricane is gone, the condition in Orlando wouldn't be nice....so it's worth postponing it...that way, i will not loose my vacation days in Disney..!

What do u all think?

SKy

I suggest postponing as well .. that way the damage will be done and taken care of and you can enjoy your honeymoon without having to plan around the hurricane and all the damage that it may do ... My friend in Florida is saying that the news is telling them they might be out of power for a few weeks to up to a month if it hits as hard as it is supposed to !!

Few weeks for the after-effect? sob sob...

Ok....now most people i spoke to suggested me to postpone. But to when? If within sept, then likely more potential hurricanes and thunder storms, right? October? A friend even asked me to go in the first 1-2 weeks of December, to enjoy the cooling air and Christmas spirit in Disney! What do u all think? Should I postpone to that far? If so, I will have to go find discount code for the Disney Animal Kingdom lodge, bcos i was using the Sept discount code (from mousesaver.com) and that gave me 30% off the regular price! :)

Good thing about that is i get more time to plan and make this a better trip....

Really lost now...:confused:

Hurricane season runs through November so December might be a better time to go. I agree. I think you should postpone the trip.

IF you can postpone, that would be the wisest thing to do. The next would be to start checking for code availability--

if you can delay by one week, at the moment there's nothing coming along behind Frances. Howard is off Mexico, but hopefully not expected to impact. Beyond that the fall is a crap shoot for hurricanes, but if you can get the codes I wouldn't hesitate to reschcedule.

If you do go Friday, then I would go ahead and take the extra day at AKL. Just be aware that the CMs who work at disney as well as everyone else in the region are going to be thinking about Frances, and you will not get "real" attention--at least you wouldn't from me. It won't be Disney magic at its best.

There are discount codes out now for travel dates through December (with some blackout for the busy seasons.) Check Mousesavers.com for details. You might want to call CRO and see what they can get you at the discount. The codes were released about a week ago, and by all accounts, many resorts and room types were gobbled up quickly.

October and November feature the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot, which is a very popular event. December has the decorations, and many other holiday festivities. Early December also happens to be one of the slowest (least crowded) times of the year.

For future reference--the number for meal ressies is 407-WDW-DINE

I would recommend postponing your trip for another week or so out--your first couple of days you will be riding out storm weather in the Lodge--with the potential to be locked in your room for several several hours :(

The governor of our state is recommending that travelers coming to our state this weekend to reschedule as Frances path is uncertain and when it is known--it will be with deadly force. At present the eye is predicted to go over Orlando--meaning hurricane central!

Rental car will definitely be cheaper than a cab--if you do choose to come early and maintain the rest of your trip--I would ditch universal and perhaps save that for an anniversary weekend later down the road.

Since your stay extends over a week--it could make for a nice cozy--yet windy/loud when the hurricane comes--weekend in the room and then saunter out Monday to enjoy the parks.

You guys are GREAT.....thanks so much!

Now, I have decided to postpone my vacation to further, but not sure to when.

Between October and December, let me list some of the things I thought may help me to make a wise decision...and maybe u guys can provide ur opinions and suggestions?

Option 1: October to early November
Goods:
1) I can attend the 9th Annual Epcot International Food and Wine Festival(10/1 - 11/14)

2) More plannings and advanced reservations can be made

Bads:
1) There might be more potential hurricanes

2) Might not able to get as much discount at the Animal Kingdom Lodge stay! Currently I am paying 30% off the regular price!

Option 2 : Early December

Goods:
1) Enjoy the Christmas decorations and spirit

2) Even more advanced planning and learning from ur experiences

3) Should be more cooling which makes the trip easier...

Bads:

1) Have to wait another 2 + months b4 my wife' dream comes true

2) Might not able to get as much discount at the Animal Kingdom Lodge stay! Currently I am paying 30% off the regular price!

Guys...am I thinking TOO MUCH? :rolleyes:

I need ur advice....option 1 or 2? or u have better suggestions?

thanks so much....

Sky

Christmas Christmas Christmas--and surprise her with a trinket gift when you go to Mickey's very merry christmas party (don't tell her abou the tix) and walk down Main Street in the snow....

Talk about Romance :)

The few weeks after Turkey Day should provide for some comparable off season rates as long as you hit before the Christmas rush (about the 15th or later!)

Enjoy the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights at MGM....

CHRISTMAS Go at Christmas!!!!

Sorry, just my thoughts :)

Also--it gives you plenty of time to book those romantic dinner ressies ;)

Originally posted by sky7777
Option 2 : Early December

Goods:
1) Enjoy the Christmas decorations and spirit

2) Even more advanced planning and learning from ur experiences

3) Should be more cooling which makes the trip easier...

Bads:

1) Have to wait another 2 + months b4 my wife' dream comes true

I think you're overestimating the crowd levels during December. As I said previously, the period from the Monday after Thanksgiving until the week before Christmas is one of the slowest times of the entire year. Discount codes have been published for this time, so the only question is whether there are still rooms available.

Compared to October and November, I think you're MORE likely to get something in early-December. October and November feature the Food & Wine Festival, Halloween Party, "Jersey Week", Super Soap Weekend, PGA Tour Event...a lot of special events that draw folks to WDW.

I'd suggest calling as soon as possible (as in RIGHT NOW) and see what dates are available. Remember, you probably won't be the only one trying to re-book due to the hurricane!!!

After discussed with wife, she prefers to do in Sept instead of having to wait for weeks/months for our trip.

Now, with the announcement i read announcement at Mousesaver - Hurricane Frances, I am thinking of postponing my trip to 9/11. Leaving on 9/11 and returning on 9/18. My concerns/questions are:

1) Will the after-effects of Hurricane Frances (assuming it hit Orlando over the labor day weekend) in Orlando spoil our vacation in Disney?

2) Travelling on 9/11, bad idea?

3) Any difference if i go on a sat (9/11)and returning on the following Saturday (9/18) Vs leaving on a Monday (9/13) and coming back on Sunday (9/19)? In terms of the parks and rides.

4) Disney Customer service is closed, have to call them tomorrow. Should I change my flight first then hotel? Bcos I can't go without any of them.....any thoughts on this?

Pls advise.

Sky

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter