Sensitive issue with mom

mommaU4

DIS Veteran
We are bringing my mom with us to Disneyworld at the end of November. I have a question about weight/size limits on the rides. She is 5'9" and weighs about 280. She is surprisingly active and I'm not concerned about her walking around the parks at all. I am concerned about ride restrictions though. I know it's an issue with some of the rides at Islands of Adventure, but is it at Disney? I'd rather find out about it now than after waiting in a long line only to be told she can't ride. :flower:

Your a good daughter to worry about mom ;) The info you need is located in 2 places. The new book by deb willis passporters walt disney world with disabilities covers the topic of size. BUT you can check out deb's web site and look up people of size. www.allearsnet.com

Good luck, Mky princess:

I am a plus size lady. I never had any trouble riding any of the rides. The only one that was hard to get in and out of was Space Mountain. I had trouble on that one due to getting so low. However, I saw "normal" size people having trouble with it also. The funniest thing that happened was on Primeval Whirl in AK. I had read that if you put the heaviest people on the same side of the car that the thing would whirl all around. Well, I rode it with a friend who was bigger then me. We hardly fit in it due to our sizes but we did not care. We put the smallest people on the other side. We whirled all over the ride. You should have seen some of the people in the other cars that were barely moving. :earseek: They couldn't understand why we were spinning the whole way. That time it paid to be overweight.

I am a "Pooh sized" woman. I am 5'10" and size 28. I never thought I would post this out in public, but I don't want you to worry! Your mother can ride anything she wants too. Space Mountain is a little worrisum for me, but I have bad knees and it's difficult to get in and out for me, but I still fit. I know we are not suppose to put links on here (If I'm right, please don't be mad, I just want them not to worry, thank you! :teeth: ) but please, read this site: http://allearsnet.com/tp/rid_trip.htm#13

If this link doesn't work. Go to Allearsnet.com.....go to search...type in "At Large" and there are wonderful trip reports, pictures of seats, etc., etc., etc., (doing my best King and I Yul Brenner :rotfl2: )

Put your mind at ease.......she will definately enjoy herself.

I worried quite a bit about that for our last trip for both myself and DH. I am not much smaller than the size you are describing and my DH is a really big guy. There was nothing my size limited me to. The hardest thing was turning sideways to get through some turnstiles. We rode everything we wanted to and then some. The biggest one I worried about was RNR and told DD I might have to let her ride alone if she was okay with it if I couldn't fit. It is a harness type bar that goes over your head. I am large on the top half and worried the bar wouldn't close. No problem what so ever. My DH and I both rode TOT, Splash Mt, Space Mt, BTMRR with no problems. No other park could I ride so much and not have to worry. Disney really is size friendly. My DH, myself, and two kids all fit into a magic carpet, and in a honey pot in Pooh's ride. No where else could we have had these magically experiences. Have fun and relax your mom will have the time of her life. :banana:

Astro Orbitor might be a problem, but believe me you aren't missing anything if you don't do it

I'm about the size of your mom, actually a little bigger :rolleyes1 , and I've never been unable to ride any ride at WDW. Disney is very, very size friendly. Some of the turnstiles are a little tight at MK, but if you turn sideways it's usually all right, otherwise just walk through the stroller gate. You don't need to ask permission, just walk on through like you know exactly what you're doing and no one will bother you.

Advise you mom to take her time getting in and out of ride vehicles, the same as any "normal" size person, and you might want to be on the lookout to help her with seatbelts. It's usually easier to pull them all the way out and then sit down and get them buckled.

Definitely check out the WDW at Large section of Allearsnet's website. It's a big help putting your mind at ease.

If you have any questions or need more info, please feel free to PM me.

Have a great trip!

My mom and I are plus-sized ladies, too. The only ride I've ever had a problem getting in and out of was Astro Orbiter at MK---mostly because it was so low down and I whacked the heck out of my knee when I first got in (nothing to do with size--just not watching what I was doing!). Mom has problems with her knees and 1 hip (she's having knee replacement surgery 11/7/05) and needed assistance getting in and out of some rides just to steady her balance. Disney IS very size-friendly. I never felt embarassed asking CMs to give me just a second to make sure I had my ride restraint on right--just ask!
You definitely need to go to Deb Willis' site (allears.net) and check out the trip reports from people who are plus-sized. I previewed their book on visiting Disney with any issues such as weight/size, and so forth...very good info as always from them.
More than anything else----have fun! No one CARES what size you are! They're all too busy having fun like you! :cheer2:

Your Mom will be fine at Islands of Adventure also... At my largest, I was the same weight, but I'm only 5'2", I could ride everything at Islands - but I did have to use the special seats in the middle of the dragon coaster. But as you walk up to board, just ask a CM and they will direct you to the row with the special seats. (The seats are the same size, but the restraints are extended a little.)

Thanks to all who took the time to answer this question. And now I have somewhat of a confession to make. :guilty: Although my mom is plus-sized and if she goes with us I was concerned about her, I was just as interested in the answers for myself. :rolleyes: I confess I am about the same size as her. Actually she might be smaller than me now since she has lost weight, which is what I was hoping to do but as of yet have not. :rolleyes1 So there is my confession. I feel better now. Thanks again for all the great advice. Look out WDW here I come....cellulite and all! :blush: :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter