• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sense of Africa reviews?

mrsR123

Mourns her Tag Fairy tag. :-(
Has anyone seen a review of this yet? It was scheduled to begin April 9th.
FWIW, not interested in discussing price point, just looking for reviews.
TIA.

Very cool!! I know how subjective these things are, but did you feel like it was worth the cost? Was it aimed at a very general audience or more to young kids or adults?

I would also love to hear about it. The photos you posted are spectacular! I am interested in knowing what time it started, how long it was, I'd like to hear about the breakfast... Any details would be appreciated!

My only question is whether or not they let you pet the red river hogs? I just want to pet one. That would make it worth the price for me lol

Sorry Gosh it has been crazy at work! Ok Sense of Africa, I loved it! Full disclosure, there was an issue with my trip and I was comped this tour to make up for it, so I can not answer any value questions fairly. So that being said, it was amazing! Started early at 6:45am and we met and went down to breakfast at Boma. I was the only single on the tour of 10 so at first I felt awkward, but I ended up making a friend who lived in my home state in NJ and we have kept in touch...so singles do not be afraid and I am so greatful to have met her! Anyway the food was typical Boma and they made some special dishes just for us. The chef came out to greet us and the tour guide pointed out awesome things that I never noticed. That took us until 8am or so and then we went out on the truck.

First stop was the Okapi and it was so cool. The animal trainers explained to us how shy they were and that they were going to use us in a training session to de-sensitize them of strangers so they aren't so freaked when the vets come to examine them. I thought that was super cool, to be part of something so important. No cameras allowed backstage, but the tour guide has a camera to get you your personal shots when you feed. We fed Olivia and she was lovely, I was the last one up in my group and I think that helps, she was less shy and I got to feed her the extra leftovers.

The next stop was the giraffe barn and wow. That was by far my favorite. So the giraffes stay out on the savannahs except for two hours in the morning when they get breakfast and their exams etc. I wasn't prepared for the magnitude of what I saw.. It's a closed barn from the front and when they open this gigantic door, all 8 heads that were inside peeked out of the stalls to stare at us at once. It was overwhelming for me and beautiful at the same time. When you see giraffes at zoos and even at the hotel you are up high so you really don't appreciate their grand size or at least I didn't until that moment when I was standing ground level with them. It was AWESOME! We learned about their training and got to feed a couple giraffes.

After that we took a scenic tour on the savannah where we could take pics, but the giraffes were still in the barn but I did catch them looking out their windows at us. The next and final stop was the River Hogs and they were super cool. Was hoping to pet them, but that wasn't part of the plan. We did see a cool training session and got to prepare their treats and hide them in their play yard...it was fun to watch them release the hogs and see them go crazy after our treats.

The tour ended around 10:45 or so I guess and I did really enjoy it. Worth the money, maybe once? I will say if I had to choose to do a tour over again, I preferred the Wild Africa Trek slightly to this. The people in the tour were also upset that the photos they took were not free unless you had memory maker. I had an annual pass so that didn't bother me, but in perspective at the Wild Africa Trek they give you an entire photo cd or at least they used to. I would totally recommend it if money is not an issue though and loved the intimate experiences and will honestly never forget that moment with the giraffes or the feeling of accomplishment feeding Olivia the Okapi. I am now obsessed with learning about the species and cried when I learned how endangered they are. Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything I may have missed! Oh they gave us a cool water bottle also!

Wonderful review! It sounds like it was a great experience. Were there children on the tour? Is this something that would be a kid-friendly experience?

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. I really appreciate it! It's a lot of money to spend, and while I typically do not want to know the details of stuff like this, for the price tag, I want to ensure that it will be worth it.

I am not sure if I'll wnd up doing it. $500 on top of the crazy $$$$ we are already spending on this trip... We'll see. It sounds fantastic though!

Wonderful review! It sounds like it was a great experience. Were there children on the tour? Is this something that would be a kid-friendly experience?

There was one child in our group, she was maybe 12 or so. I think they do have an age restriction to somewhere around there, but I think any animal lover would love it. Not too much walking as we were mostly being driven on the truck.

Thanks for writing about your experience, I was thinking about booking this, even though its a little pricey. I think I'm going to take the plunge and book it.

What an awesome review -- thanks so much for sharing!! I think we will try this in August after all!! :)

Awesome review. I'm going on a solo trip in September and staying at AKL... now I'm seriously considering this! I love (!!!!) giraffes and I would love the chance to get up close to them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter