• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Senior with beginning dementia issues?

Disney2013Girl

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are taking my 87 year old grandma and our 4 year old son this October. She is unsteady on her feet/unable to walk for long distances and we have rented her a wheelchair for her. I know about all of the accessibility of lines/etc and feel comfortable with the different ride vehicles. We are experienced with fp+ and have no issues with that.

My concern/question is we would be eligible for rider swap with her? I do not to want to leave her alone, should she need assistance with her wheelchair or have a momentary loss of awareness. While I have no problem using fp+ as an aid, I'm worried that we will encounter long waits (as we have in the past) and whomever is waiting would miss their window. Is rider swap just for children too small? (Our son is tall enough to ride most rides, so we can not use him as an "excuse"). I only have the knowledge of what I have read online about DAS, but I don't see much about these types of concerns. Would there be a DAS card that would allow rider swap for a non-child? Worst comes to worst, we would just make do, but I'm a hyper-planner, so I'm trying to figure things out as much as possible beforehand.

Thanks!

DAS card wouldn't help with this. The DAS helps people get on the ride who can't wait in a normal line environment.

While the FAQ for rider swap says children who are too small or too afraid to ride, in practice it seems to be just for children too small to ride. Regardless, it very clearly says children.

You could definitely ask, but I would plan on being told no.

If you use FP+ and go towards the beginning of the hour you shouldn't have a problem getting 2 sets of people in as the lines are typically around 15 or 20 minutes.

Could you stagger the FP+ return times so that they overlap but you get a few extra minutes for the second set of riders if there is a delay or you arrive near the end of the window?

@Disney2013Girl, I will address a couple of hints for the wheelchair at the end of this post. First, I wanted to talk about your Grandma's Dementia.

My mom had stroke-related Dementia, so this is a topic that is really personal to me. We took her to WDW relatively "early" in her decline, and what I found was that she had been "covering" just how bad off she really was. As long as she stayed at home, in an area where she was well-known and comfortable, she could get along pretty well; no one but us (and her doctors) knew. But when we traveled, it became very obvious, very fast how stressful that was for her, and how far advanced her Dementia was. As a result, we did wind up doing some things differently on that visit to WDW, and we still had an amazing time. :) In fact, it is where I took my most favorite ever picture of her. When we visit WDW now, I always stand on that spot, and send her a balloon. (Just last month, in fact!) We lost Mom in 2011, but I was fortunate and honored to be her caregiver for the last 4+ years of her life.

There are many kinds of Dementia; and while they all have much in common, they also can have quirks that are very specific to the *type* of Dementia that you are working with in regards to your Grandma. So you might want to consider taking some time to learn a bit more about her specific kind of Dementia - and a great spot for Dementia caregivers and loved ones is the Message Boards over at ALZ.org. You don't have join unless you want to post; I found it to be a tremendously caring and knowledgable community, and I believe my participation there strongly contributed to helping increase my Mom's quality of life during her last years.

OK. :::Taking a deep breath::: Being prepared is the only way I got through everything, so I think it's awesome that you are planning ahead. Just based on experience, here are the things I would be thinking about/preparing for regarding both the trip itself, and actual park day(s):
- Meds; knowing what each one is, doseage, and schedule
- Foods; knowing what she will and won't eat, and what favorite snacks are (often needed to coax behaviors) Is she fully independent when eating, or does she require some assistance or oversight?
- Clothing; many Dementia patients have clothing issues (itchy clothes, spontaneous undressing, etc.) Creating an outfit for each day, complete with undergarments and shoes can help her stay focused when dressing.
- Comfort items; for example, my Mom always loved to have her crossword puzzle book and pencil with her, even when she was no longer able to complete a puzzle, she would carry them around with her, along with her purse. (always the purse. The purse went EVERYWHERE LOL)
- Sensory abilities; for example, will it be sensory overload just to sit *next* to a ride, like the Teacups, that spin, and have not only lots of motion, but potentially lots of sound? What can be done to mitigate any sensory issues? Can she tolerate noise and crowds for long periods of time, or will she need periodic "respite" in the room?
- Cognitive abilities; can she self-identify? If she does happen to wander away, would she be able to tell a Cast Member who she was, and who you are?
- Physical abilities; what does she need in the way of accommodations for the trip? Will you need a roll-in shower? Can she bathe and/or toilet herself, or will she need assistance?

There's more, much more to consider - this is just off the top of my head.

I know that right now many of these things may seem far from your mind, but please remember that our loved ones with Dementia can (and do) often "hide" how much they have declined very well - often so much so that it can be a shock when you finally realize it. Being prepared makes the entire journey - not just to and from WDW, but literally for the rest of her life - much easier.

And yes, to those who have read this far, in many ways our loved ones who have been diagnosed with Dementia can often benefit from many of the same techniques that are helpful to kids with Autism.

About the wheelchair - just a couple of tips to help out. First, make sure you take along bike gloves (or similar) for any member of your party who will pushing her in the chair. Rental chairs tend to be heavy and bulky to begin with, and it doesn't take long before those hard hand grips make blisters. You will be surprised at how many ramps, inclines and hills there are at WDW! If she is sensitive to the sun, make sure the rental company can accommodate that with an umbrella that can be clamped on, and folded down or removed for transport. Resist the temptation to hang purses, diaper bags, shopping bags, etc. off the handles of the wheelchair - it just adds to the weight, and can cause a potential tipping issue if/when Grandma transfers out of the chair (to eat, to toilet, etc.) If she will be sitting all day - and not getting out of the chair to ride any rides, or to move to a chair to eat - then I would either also rent a gel cushion for the seat, or plan on padding the seat with towels from the hotel. Encourage her to stand every hour, if for no other reason than to straighten up and "fluff" the seat pad, and prevent serious stiffness issues.

I don't quite know what to tell you about the rider-swap issue. In a perfect world, if I were you, I would take along a companion for her; someone that would be glad to sit with her while you and your family rode the rides, and would be able to help you with any care issues. I know that is most likely not possible - adding another person (and their accommodations, travel expenses, meals, park tickets, etc.) could be quite costly. Aside from that, if you can afford it, you might consider one of the VIP Tour Services? Hang in there - between now and October, we will surely figure this out! :) And don't forget to ask over at ALZ.org in the Message Boards there - you may find just the answer you need there!

Disney2013Girl, I hope you know that I am NOT trying to discourage you from taking your dear Grandma with you - far from it! By being prepared, I hope you, and your son, and your entire family have a wonderful, Magical trip! :)

(((hugs))) Mamabunny

I have to agree with mamabunny about dementia -- if you aren't Grandma's regular daily caregiver, you may be surprised once you get her outside her usual environment. Just be prepared to adjust your plans to a more laid-back visit if that's what Grandma needs.

As for Rider Swap -- as aaarcher indicates, it's hit-or-miss whether CMs will allow it. Feel free to ask, but the answer quite likely could be no without a too-short kid. Either planning FP+ for overlapping times, or simply arriving at the beginning of the window should allow you to get 2 parties through the line within the hour.

You can find more information about DAS in the WDW - Disability Access Service thread pinned near the top of this forum. DAS is issued to accommodate that guest, not the party -- so Grandma would have to actually ride for you to use a DAS. It doesn't work as a rider swap pass.

Enjoy your vacation and make lots of memories with Grandma!

One other thought that I had on the FP is to remember that all members of the party do not have to have the same FP. For example if ridding the mine train is very important to you, you could get one of you a 10:00 FP and another one for 2:00.You are not going to be riding the same time anyway. Your little one could have a FP for the same time as one of you. The non riding one could do something else with grandma and or the little one.

You might want to get some kind of alarm for the room door, so you'll be alerted if she gets up in the middle of the night and tries to leave the room. It may be too much to bring a companion, but there may be some kind of respite care where someone can come sit with her for a few hours. You could plan to do most of the rides she won't go on during that time.

@mamabunny thanks for all of the insight! There were definitely some points I hadn't thought of (ESP the gloves for the chair-pusher). While I'm not her daily caretaker, I do take care of her a lot and often am the one to take her on trips (we went to the outer banks last fall). I've been thinking of different ways to mark her with my phone number because while I don't believe she would have any trouble self-identifying, or even identifying me, I don't expect her to remember my phone number or even the resort we are staying at.

I've had a lot of thinking about this trip and I go back and forth between confident and hesitant. I literally grew up with my grandma (she moved in with my parents when I was four) and we spent lots of time/took lots of trips together. Her mental health has been declining, but thankfull not as quickly as it could. Other than her walking long distances, her physical health has been great, which I'm also grateful for.

The main reason I really want to take her with us on this trip is because of my son. I sincerely believe that he has been the reason she has done as well as she has. She is a completely different person when he is around, vivacious and full of life and energy. My parents have requested him come out and spend the night on more than one occasion when she is in a funk (not that they don't love him too, but ykwim). To give an example, she doesn't remember tha we have been to disney before (despite him telling her all about it, the pictures, etc), but it only took ONE conversation with her about coming with us months ago and she remembers it with strikingly clear details. I'm excited to see the two of them take this trip together, even if it is more subdued than our normal vacations (and "do it all or die" disney style trips).

I'm not currently planning on getting a door alarm as I plan on putting my husband in the bed closest to the door and myself sharing a bed with her, we are both light sleepers, but thank you for the idea. My plan may change as we get closer.

Originally, our trip was going to be myself, my husbands,our son, my father and my grandmother (my mom isn't retired yet and can't get the time off). My dad, seeing girls the financial impact of him going, backed out. Plus, I think he is looking for a break off of caregiving as well. I do have an cousin who lives near Orlando and he may come up with his family for a few days, so that would help as well.

As the trip gets closer and we can schedule fp+, it may work itself out better than I expect. My concern with scheduling two completely different ride times is that my son will throw a fit about not being able to ride again with the second rider. Something, of course, we won't know until that moment.

Thank you al for you advice!

@Disney2013Girl Isn't it amazing how much difference just being around grandchildren/great-grandchildren can make? :) My Mom was the same way - most days she was quiet, and somewhat introverted (unusual for her) but the moment that we would hear my daughter come through the door from school, her face would light up, and she would be - for a while - like her old self.

You are right about your dad - he probably does *badly* need a break from caregiving. 24/7 caregiving is a huge burden, as you no doubt know from traveling with your Grandma. As her dementia progresses, I hope that you and your entire family can find a way to help your dad and mom, so that they get regular respite.

So, when it comes to marking her with your name/cell number I'm sure you have already thought about lanyards, but as we both know, those can be removed. Pinning a name tag to her front might work, but if she has a bad moment, and removes it, then it does not good either. Same thing with "safety bracelets" (used for kiddos and Sr's alike); a determined person will just take it off. Some folks will use a Sharpie marker, and write contact info directly on the skin - works for kids, but fragile senior skin might not welcome that. In our case, I simply wrote the information on a 3 x 5 index card, folded it in half, and safety-pinned it to the *back* of her shirt or dress, typically at about the level of where her bra crossed her back. She couldn't reach it to remove it, and it was visible enough that if she needed help, someone would see it.

You could consider seeing if Visiting Angels, or some other similar care service would send a "sitter" out to the hotel, so that you could have blocks of time with just you, the hubs, and your little man. Or, see if you can work out an arrangement - well in advance, so there are no surprises - with your cousin, so that you all could do some "swap" time.

And, as far as your son, and the "second-ride" FP+ issue goes - just take him with you, the second time! Or, send him off with your cousins family, and you can ride with your hubs! Or, maybe you take him to do something special (like throw pennies in the fountain, or count Hidden Mickeys) while the hubs takes the ride. The great thing is that you have plenty of time to plan everything, and arriving prepared will make your trip so much easier!

(((hugs)))

One thing that could solve the second ride issue for your son would be to give him grandma's magic band to ride. Just make the same FP for her as you do the rest of you and then your son could ride again with whoever waits with grandma the first time.

One thing that could solve the second ride issue for your son would be to give him grandma's magic band to ride. Just make the same FP for her as you do the rest of you and then your son could ride again with whoever waits with grandma the first time.
Good point. They won't question a four year old boy when the name "Marilyn" pops up on the screen? I thought there was a screen that the fp people look at.

Good point. They won't question a four year old boy when the name "Marilyn" pops up on the screen? I thought there was a screen that the fp people look at.

Yes there is a screen and the name will pop up, but they don't care. We do it all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter