• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Senior Pictures

i THINK my senior pictures cost about 350, but my mom only did formals (that appeared in my senior year book) and no casual ones.

I hate to tell you this but that is illegal. Those pics are owned by the photographer and they have all the rights regarding duplication and distribution. Unless you purchase the rights, which some photographers allow, you could be in serious trouble.

Thanks for your concern. I don't have to purchase the rights. All I need is written consent from the studio. I didn't order 2 pictures from them to mass produce them. The actual pics don't have the studio's signature on them, which is odd.

My senior pictures were very expensive so my mom only bought 2 or 3.. it's interesting that you're allowed to submit senior pictures to the yearbook from "unofficial" photographers- at my school you were required to use their photographer!

It's worth it to see these again! These look like professional modeling photos and your girl is gorgeous! Whatever you paid was well worth it.

She is VERY comfortable in front of a camera if you can't tell! She had her pics done there a few times and the Otis and Jamie (the photographers just loved her because they didn't really need to tell her what to do!)

My senior pictures were very expensive so my mom only bought 2 or 3.. it's interesting that you're allowed to submit senior pictures to the yearbook from "unofficial" photographers- at my school you were required to use their photographer!

It depends on where you live. I graduated high school in 85 in Ohio and we all used outside photographers, the school didn't even take pictures of the seniors. North Dakota was the same way. But Texas and North Carolina the school took their own.

That's how it is at my school too. My Brother went to school a town over from where I did (we moved after his senior year) and at his school, you can submit your own picture from wherever you chose to go. The photographer who took my senior pic for the yearbook was awful. The lighting was terrible, everyone looked either too rosy or too washed out. I'm so glad you didn't have to buy them. I went to an awesome local photographer to have pictures taken to hand out to family and we were very pleased. It was a costly, but well worth it.

I'm sitting here with over $500 of senior pictures I bought last year. We had to use the official school photographer for the year book, but the rest you could have taken anywhere. I just went ahead and bought a package from the school because they were pretty good and I wasn't sure I could get him to go for pictures again.

I bought the second cheapest package because I wanted the CD which was included in the price. When my DD graduates, I will just be getting her picture taken for the yearbook and have the other pictures taken at another studio. I will also not buy as many as I did with him. I don't know if it was because he was a boy or if because of facebook and my space, kids just don't exchange pictures like they did when I was in high school.

On a side note, DD is in middle school and just got her school picture packet. They now have a CD with release option as a package. Thats what we are doing this year. I would rather make my own package than have to buy the one the school puts together so I like that I can just buy the CD and since it includes the release, just print them myself!

We used an outside photographer but the actual picture that went in the yearbook was a regular school picture like all the other grades.

We spent $300. DD got 3 hours of posing in different locations and outfits. The photographer did a great job and there were no packages--she gave us a cd of the photos.

OP--definitely shop around. Call different local photographers and check on the prices.

Thank you to everyone who gave me some good alternatives. It is a little unbelievable how much the school wants for these pictures. I will definately be shopping around. I still have 2 kids after this to get graduated so hopefully I will be able to find a reputable photographer that isn't expensive and be able to use them again. Thanks again for all the input.

I bought the second cheapest package because I wanted the CD which was included in the price. When my DD graduates, I will just be getting her picture taken for the yearbook and have the other pictures taken at another studio. I will also not buy as many as I did with him. I don't know if it was because he was a boy or if because of facebook and my space, kids just don't exchange pictures like they did when I was in high school.

I still think it's a boy/girl thing because my DD went through BILLIONS of wallets and we had to order more.

Beautiful pictures!

We lived in North Dakota when DD got her senior pics done and the school doesn't take Senior pics there. All the kids go to the photography studio's in town.

Here are a couple of them...they weren't cheap, but I loved them!!

2.jpg

16.jpg

22.jpg

A lot of the kids go there for their prom pics too instead of the cheesy ones they do at the school....I miss this studio so much!!

mhs-171-2.jpg

mhs-185.jpg

Thanks for your concern. I don't have to purchase the rights. All I need is written consent from the studio. I didn't order 2 pictures from them to mass produce them. The actual pics don't have the studio's signature on them, which is odd.

most photographers will never give up copyright, what they will do is give you usage or reproduction rights, if you can get them to do that for free, you are very lucky... that would be comparable to giving away unlimited free photos...

The number of prints that you would be making is inconsequential. If you have a photographer that is willing to give you written permission for reproduction for free you are very lucky as most have you buy a disk with the digital images at the very least. I don't know any photographer who would give permission for a person to scan a photograph and then make prints as the quality would be compromised.

Having worked as a photographer for many years in my BC life (before children), I know how frustrating it is to see one's work pirated. It may seem silly to some that artists get upset by this but put yourself into their shoes. These people have put out the money to get professional training, buy the professional equipment, keep up with the latest technologies, etc. etc. They have invested a lot into their businesses and they hold the rights to the finished product.

While I am shocked by the costs that some have stated for the senior pictures, I understand it and I see how some would want to find a way around spending that kind of money. I just hope everyone keeps it legal.

RitaZ, as you have a consent form signed by your photographer, you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter