• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sending teens off on their own?

avic77

Fish out of water
Last Oct was the first time we ever let our teens (at that time 13 and 16) go from our on site Disney hotel to a park alone (well they were with their cousins so it was 4 teens). I'll admit DH and I were very apprehensive but they did great followed all our check in rules etc.
Universal doesn't feel quite as bubbled in as Disney. But I feel like my 14 and 17 year old may want to stay for an extra ride or two after my husband and I head back. Is the transportation from CB to the parks much like Disney, a closed route and basically safe with resort only guest able to use it. I know there are always chances something random can happen.

At 17 and 14 they'll be absolutely fine on their own!

The bus goes straight to the resort.

I let my 14 & 16 year old do one last roller coaster and head back on the boat by themselves. They were fine. It feels like a pretty closed bubble to me. I had to remind myself that I walked everywhere at 14 by myself with no cell phone (back in the stone ages ).

Yes transportation is similar to Disney. Neither system requires hotel guests to show that they are staying at the hotels. Transportation to CB is quite easy and it does only stop there.

I had no problem with my then 14 and 15 yo teens going to the parks alone from our HRH resort but since you are talking CB, just think of it as a WDW internal bus and judge accordingly. I would have no problem.

I would not have concerns allowing them to do the park together for a few last rides without you

They probably have a phone to keep in contact with you

any TM in the park are available if they needed assistance

My 17 year old is super responsible, at Disney she called when arriving, set check in times and when leaving the park. I think they will be fine with the same set up at universal. Both kids have a phone, in case one runs out of battery there is a back up. They just won't have the cousins with them this time. Thanks for the reassurance.

When I was 16 I went on a high school trip to Disney. We were allowed to walk around completely alone (technically, in groups of 3 or more, but no one was checking). Universal feels similarly safe for teens alone.

I'd say sending teens off on their own is just fine.

The only worry I would have is battery life on their phone. I wouldn't want them to finish up the day and have to ask someone to use their phone just to find a place to meet you.

They'll be fine! security is amazing in USO. I'd feel happy sending them free for a bit.

Security is great and they are old enough to enjoy the freedom of a parent free experience. When we went in 2010, my then 15 year old wanted to hit the parks early (we were staying at RPR) and myself and my older son, 19 at the time, wanted to have a lazy morning in after a long day previously. He went, rode a ton of rides over and over, had a blast and was back at the hotel in a couple of hours. I was a bit nervous at first, but I knew how responsible he was and he checked in via cell a couple of times to ease my mind. Lol

I'm planning to allow my kids the freedom to do their own thing. (Honestly, it's sort of my whole intention with our upcoming trip). They are quite a bit younger than yours (17, 12, 10) but I think they will be fine.

Last year, we had our "Last Family Disney Trip" and we stayed in the Epcot resort area (so we could walk to two parks). The kids enjoyed tons of sibling bonding time before our oldest left for college. DH and I got some time to just relax and we also got a few opportunities to spend some time with the kids on an individual basis (two went out together and one stayed with us). It was a great experience and we are planning our Universal trip with that in mind.

My kids were much more familiar with Disney since we had been going since they were toddlers, but we will spend some time our first day at Universal making sure everyone knows how to get from one place to another and feels comfortable finding their way around.

As for sending off my teen without me, I'd be fine as long as he was with a friend. He's 13 but I think a buddy system is helpful, especially since he has a terrible sense of direction. I would be comfortable sending him off without a cell phone. I don't have one myself yet. I did do Disney with a friend when we were 13 and 14. We stayed at the campground with a group and she and I would go into the parks without adults with us. Our parents told us we had to be back at the campground for dinner and let them know what park we were going before we left. It worked out great. (Even with no cell phones, as there weren't cell phones then).

I'd say as safe as Disney. We've stayed at RPR and the Portofino, and the kids were 10 and 14 at the Porotofino, and then 12 and 16 at RPR , and each of those visits, they came and went by themselves several times. In fact, I've left them sleeping and they would meet me later in the parks. They took the boats or walked and had no issues. I'd only say, if you trust your kids and they are good kids, I see nothing wrong with letting teens go by themselves in the parks and through CityWalk. I've given my kids freedom at Disneyland, on a Disney cruise, and at WDW from the time the older one was 12. My kids always came back or met with me when I asked them to, and later, when they got phones, it was even easier. It's nice to have some adult time and know the kids are having a good time too.

I did the opposite with two 13 year olds - I stayed at City Walk for a little while, and they took the boat back to RPR. I think Universal is a great place to experience a tiny bit of independence. I could track them using my phone, and they called when they got back to the hotel.

Your kids will be fine taking the bus back to CB. even if they walked back they would be fine. Last month, my Dd17 had to stay home an extra day so she flew out the next day by herself & got to RPR on her own without me. She met us up at the hotel around 8pm. Also, last December my kids (dd17 & DS15 at the time) flew out to Orlando on their own, took the magical express, & met me at WDW for the weekend. I was staying a week. Then they took the DME back to the airport & flew home.

A 17 year old is definitely old enough to stay at the parks alone for the night. It's a nice walk back, about 20 minutes from the parks. Or the busses if they are tired.

I'm sure they'll be just fine.

Is the transportation from CB to the parks much like Disney, a closed route and basically safe with resort only guest able to use it.

I do want to mention that onsite transportation at WDW and universal is open to whoever wants to use it. You do not have to be a resort guest to use it, even at Disney.

Both kids have a phone, in case one runs out of battery there is a back up.

They need external battery chargers! Anker is a terrific brand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter