Semi-Formal / Formal Night Question

jenkh

DIS Veteran
Hello Everyone!!

Well my dream has come true... I've finally convinced the family to do a Disney Cruise. Right now we already have a few vacations already booked, so we've decided to go on DCL early 2008. I know it may seem like forvever, but the fact it's now decided and official (well minus booking hehe) I've gone on a rampage digging through the DIS getting all the info I can.

But right now I have one question regarding the dress up days. I know Semi-Formal night won't be a problem to do.. But I'm not sure my family will be into a full fledged formal night. It's possible they may come around (time is on our side) But was just wondering how that works. I know disney doesn't force you to go formal, but we don't wanna be standing out like lumps on a log. So how many people don't dress up but still go to the main dinners. Or will we be more comfortable just grabbing a bite somewhere else or doing room service.

I KNOW this question has already been answered, but with search down, one can only go thorugh so many pages before their eyes begin to go fuzzy lol.

Thanks!! And I'm sure you'll be seeing me around here with tons more questions :cool1:

Lots can change before then, but as of right now Topsiders serves the exact same menu as the dining rooms with the exception of the salads (you have salad bar in Topsiders). The food and service are fantastic, I would go there if you don't want to dress up.

Most, in my experience, most don't go "all out" with the formal gowns, etc. The dresses I wore on both formal/semi formal were simple black knee length dresses. DH wore the same suit each night, just a different tie. If you can get your family to dress semi-formal, there really doesn't have to be a dramatic difference in your attire on formal night. A jacket/suit for guys would be fine on both nights, and the ladies wear a variety of dresses....from long, flowery summery dresses to elegant dresses. I say if you can get them dressed up for semi, you should be good to go on formal. But, just my opinion! Topsiders is good, too!

People dress up to varying degrees on formal and semi-formal nights. Some in full blown black tie and gowns. Others in suits and dresses. And still in more casual attire. You shouldn't feel uncomfortable if you don't dress up, though for many of us it's a lot of fun and just looks so elegant when people are mingling around the lobby in their finery. But don't miss the main dining room just for that, unless you really want to. The formal night is on Sunday on the Eastern and I think Monday on the Western. This is during the first rotations through the dining rooms, so you may not want to miss that dining room's unique menu that night, and if it's Animator's Pallate you'll miss the "show".

Don't worry about the dress up nights. Most people make an effort to dress up--we usually "really dress." Guys will be in tux, military uniforms, suits, sports jacktet....and the occasional bum in jeans and t-shirt. Little guys are usually in "church clothes," although some will be in suits, tux, etc.

Since you have a lot of time....we check the sale racks in our favorite upscale department store. DD's most expensive formal was $65, typically I pay $15-25 for hers and mine! And they are good for more than one cruise (hee hee). DD looked great at a high school function last spring.

Don't skip the dining room due to the clothes. Seriously, a sports jacket and a "slinky" dress (the fabric, not the look) will get you through. I can't tell any difference between formal and semi nights. Originally they were Captain Mickey's and Captain Tom's nights.....

I do find that slinky knits are wonderful as formals--they hide figure flaws and don't need to be ironed. For other things, there is an iron in the laundry room (don't plan to use it on formal night!) or you can send things out to be pressed for 1/2 of the cleaning charge. I wear black sandles rather than taking along an extra pair of shoes. Black tennies work well for the little guys too.

My family was less than excited about formal night, but it was our first night in Parrot Cay, so we didn't want to miss that, even though we'd had our character breakfast there that morning. It's also a great night for photo ops - the one with the cruise ship backdrop, a chance to get your photo made with the Captain, etc., so even if you don't want to dress formal and dine in the restaurants, do take the opportunity to get your pictures made.

My DH wore a suit and tie for formal night, while I wore a long black skirt and gold sweater. My children wore dress pants and long-sleeved shirts with their shirt tails tucked in (although I found that I forgot to pack their belts). None were happy. For semi-formal night, the boys ate in the room (and fell asleep watching t.v.) while DH and I enjoyed a quiet dinner without them. DH did wear a tie but no jacket; I wore the same black skirt, different sweater.

FWIW, DH has some Mickey ties - I bought him two specifically to have for the cruise for his "dress-up" nights. He enjoys them and it helped make it a bit more fun for him to wear a tie.

We didn't eat at Topsiders at night because I wanted to experience the whole dining room thing - I loved that part of the cruise. One night I went to dinner by myself (the night after formal night). I think DH skipped dinner that night, and the boys ate at from Pluto's and Pinnochio's.

but we don't wanna be standing out like lumps on a log.

Most people dress up for semi and formal. Not all wear tuxes and gowns, but most wear clothes more dressy than they would wear to Applebys.

If you think you might stand out, and don't really want to go formal, use your judgement and dress as if you were going out to a nice restaurant for your anniversary.

I hope you decide to experience the main restaurants!

kcashner said:
Since you have a lot of time....we check the sale racks in our favorite upscale department store. DD's most expensive formal was $65, typically I pay $15-25 for hers and mine! And they are good for more than one cruise (hee hee). .

This is so true. For our Sept 04 cruise I bought my wife a beautiful sparkelie gown for $11.00! She used it for two cruises. And ebay is a great place for cheap fromal wear for guys.

But like we've all said, you don't have to go the whole 9 yards. Wear what makes you comfy and don't miss the dining room.

Thanks All!

In the time we have, I'm sure I can get them all to come around. Especially knowing now that semi-formal attire will do for formal night as well. The concern my family had was looking around and seeeing some pics posted from formal nights and seeeing full fledged tux's and prom type dresses. So they were thinking they'd have to bring nice clothes for semi-formal and SUPER nice clothes for formal night.

Who knows they may find some great clothes on sale before then. I already know i'll prolly go all out for formal night, but wanted to aleviate their concerns that their dresses and dress pants/dress shirt and tie's wouldn't be obviously 'under dressed'.

Could anyone tell me how formal the children get? I have two boys 6 and 9 and not sure how dressed the children are. It is much easier in my opinion to dress up a little girl then a little boy.

luvmykids said:
Could anyone tell me how formal the children get? I have two boys 6 and 9 and not sure how dressed the children are. It is much easier in my opinion to dress up a little girl then a little boy.

I guess this also depends on the boys. Both my boys love to get dressed up. On our first cruise our youngest son was 4 1/2 and our oldest 10. Since then they've been on 3 more cruises. Each time they get really excited about picking out clothes. On our first 7 night cruise my youngest wore a suit or sport coat to dinner every night. They both want to wear suits on Formal and semi formal nights. My oldest wanted us to get him a tux for our upcoming trip, but we said no until he stops growing. We all enjoy getting dressed up and making the occasion more elegant. It also makes for great picutres.

This can be a good excuse for buying them a basic suit if they don't have one. Most of the time you can get some use out of it during the year. But that's not always the case for everyone and depending on what part of the country you live in, suits just don't get used much. As long as your boys are dressed kneatly, nice polo shirt and khakis, you'd be just fine. There are many, many opinions about this subject, and mine is that it comes down to what works best for your family and makes the trip as stress free as possible.

DS loves to wear his suit. :) I picked one up for him at WM last year. It doesn't look like a $35 suit IMO. He wears it for the cruise, Christmas & Easter then a couple more times during the year so I figure that we get our money's worth out of it.

luvmykids said:

I wonder if there is thread asking for pictures people took of their kids on Formal Night. Our boys were 7 and 10 when we went. I think they wore suits. If you click on my photo link in the sig line, there's a picture of them in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter