Selling plasma

The idea of selling plasma has always freaked me out. I would rather work an extra shift or two to cover food expenses. Thankfully I have the option to work as much as I want and I make a good enough hourly wage that it doesn't take long to cover that expense.

Ditto. I considered it once, but when I walked into the clinic in my town, it was so depressing. everyone in there looked like they were on heroin. I'm sure it's not like that all the time, but my experience was enough to discourage me from wanting to do that regularly.

It makes no sense to me that someone would be okay with paid plasma donations if it buys groceries, but not if it buys food at Disney. Money is fungible, so let's juts pretend the $60 of plasma money paid for groceries or gas, and a different $60 paid for the Disney meals. What difference does it make to you?

I do donate blood regularly. I'd donate plasma if my local red cross accepted it

Goodness the things that people will judge each other for. I don't see how it is anyone's business what they are using the money for. Is it something I would do, probably not but in our area I don't think there is anywhere to get paid for it anyways. I think kudos to those people for donating something that could saves lives - not like they are stripping or selling themselves for the side money.

And I don't get the argument that you have to pay for the plasma when you need it but that it's free when donated. All those nursing staff that draw the plasma, storage, equipment cost money so why should the plasma be free to the person that is getting the benefit from it??

Let me clarify a few things as both a healthcare professional and a regular plasma donor...

First, plasma that is donated at a plasmapheresis center (like BioLife) is NOT used directly on humans. This plasma is sold to pharmaceutical companies who use it to manufacture life-saving medications. Since human plasma cannot be synthetically produced, drug companies rely completely on human donors so they can formulate the medications. In addition, certain plasma-derived medications (IgIb, for example) can require over 5,000 units of plasma to produce a single dose. This is why those medications are so costly. My mother needed the IgIb injection and it was $25,000 per dose. These two reasons (low supply, significant demand) require that drug companies offer an attractive compensation for donors. The plasma procured at donation centers is NOT for human injection. It is used for the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals.

Second, patients who need blood products such as packed red blood cells (PRBCs), fresh frozen plasma (FFP) and platelets receive such products from blood banks. These products are derived from a single donor who's blood is divided out into the three parts which can then be provided to more than one recipient. This is the blood that is donated at blood drives and such.

I won't go into which is more beneficial or altruistic. Quite frankly, there is a significant and legitimate need for both whole blood and plasma donors. For me personally, I donate plasma because when I do, they are only taking my plasma which is mostly water. It is very easy for me to replace it, or even pre-hydrate. On the other hand, donating whole blood results in a loss of red blood cells which take longer to regenerate. I have donated whole blood before and I was fatigued and winded for several days afterward. Not everyone will experience this and some people may also have adverse effects from donating just plasma.

There is nothing wrong with using money from plasma donations to fund a Disney trip. My husband and I both donate regularly and any money we earn is our "fun money". It is money that we literally gave a part of ourselves for so we do not use it for necessities. We use it for leisure activities or "toys" or basically whatever we want. We each earn about $200 a month, sometimes less, but we do not depend on it for our daily needs. In fact, I use mine for "upgrades" at Disney. We may add a TS meal, take a tour or see a show...things that I wouldn't include in our basic budget.

Frankly, it doesn't matter why anyone donates plasma, or what they use the money for, nor is it anyone's business.

It never even crossed my mind that people think it would be ridiculous to make/save money this way! Between my husband and I, we make plenty of money and he goes regularly to donate plasma (mainly for extra going out to eat and vacation money).

We have one of these plasma donating places right around the corner from the neighborhood I live at. I've walked by it several times while doing shopping in that shopping center. The blinds are always drawn so I never can gauge properly how many people are going in on any given day. I've been trying to keep my eye out for an increase in cars on the lot but honestly on a busy Saturday with a major grocery stores and other businesses it can get pretty busy there. I haven't heard much from neighbors either so I guess it's a wait and see kinda place or a very low key business.

However, I know for me I've never even once considered selling plasma let alone do it to afford to go on a Disney vacation. While it's none of my business what people do and why I know personally I would hope things would never reach such a state that I had to sell my plasma just to make ends meet - for some this is a reality and it's not my place to judge. People have it hard enough sometimes without my prying nose in their personal affairs.

I was laid off twice (9/2012 and 1/2014) and started selling plasma to make ends meet (my caseworker at the Unemployment Office actually suggested it to me!). Yes, I was hesitant at first as it seemed to have a questionable reputation but the center I frequent is wonderful, pristine, with friendly knowledgeable staff. I have never had an unpleasant experience. It doesn't bother me to donate, I have good veins and am in and out in usually about an hour.

I now have a WONDERFUL job that I love (been here 8 months) but am still playing catch up. So I continue to "donate" plasma (technically you are being compensated for your time) and am putting that money towards my December Disney trip. Going twice a week I can make $75. That's $300 a month towards Disney and I also use it for "extras" to treat my Grandson to Chuck E. Cheese, etc..

The fact that the plasma I give is being made into medicines to help someone is a bonus.

A second job is not an option for me as I keep my 5 year old Grandson most nights - his mother is a nurse working 2nd shift and his father (my son) works 3rd shift Tuesday night through Sunday morning. I love spending the extra time with him and it saves lots of day care/babysitting time. He has Asperger's and does better in familiar surroundings so it works for everyone.

The 2 - 2-1/2 hours a week I use to donate enables me to look forward to a wonderful vacation with my grandson - for me, it's a great solution but of course, it may not be an option for everyone.

Last edited:
That's great you were able to benefit from the plasma but doesn't this being paid for your blood to finance something rediculous take away from helping some to survive by giving your blood. What you don't understand is that most of these people will not donate if they are not paid and these places that do pay are not as available as a place where you just donate.

What about me???

I could afford in hard cold cash to book club level, buy plane tickets and purchase the most expensive Disney dinning plan right this minute and still have money left over.

I have donated plasma 58 times in the last 1.5 yrs, all the money from donations has gone to purchase Disney gift cards.

Should I stop donations? Well, I will after 42 more times and it has nothing to do with the money they give me or a Disney trip.

Donating is easy if your healthy and I might just do it every 6 months just to be a nice person.

To everyone that donates plasma for whatever reason Thank You. My son has an autoimmune disease called dermatomyositis and he gets was getting infusions of IVIG weekly for about a year. It is very expensive. Our rheumatologist said that it takes several hundred peoples plasma to make the IVIG. Not everyone will or can donate plasma. This has made him so much stronger. We have just went our first month without it . The doctors are trying to wean him off.So Thank You to all of you who donate.We have also seen so many other children benefit from plasma for many other reasons.

I do find it interesting that everyone's using the term "donate". Doesn't donate mean something you do without expectation of a return benefit? This isn't donating--it's selling. How many of these "donors" would be doing it every week if they weren't getting paid? Some would, yes, but my guess is many wouldn't.

I do find it interesting that everyone's using the term "donate". Doesn't donate mean something you do without expectation of a return benefit? This isn't donating--it's selling. How many of these "donors" would be doing it every week if they weren't getting paid? Some would, yes, but my guess is many wouldn't.

Completely agree with you.

When I give blood, at a blood drive, they ask for "donors" then pay you in cookies or cupcakes with a bottle of juice. :rolleyes:

Heck the school teachers even promised the class with the highest parent turn out would get a pizza party.

These are small payments, but still a payment.

That's what the place I donate calls us, donors. And....so? Would a shortage of uncompensated plasma make any sense? If there is compensation so that supplies are steady and available that seems like a better outcome.

Hmmmmm did I anywhere ever mention I wanted my blood for free??? NOPE!!! If people would actually read the words instead of implying what they want it to mean, they would see I think people that donate should be paid a portion. As for knowing that there are nurses and what not that process the blood, I know this. Thanks for also implying I am stupid, but I am not. I was simply stating (again) that those that donate SHOULD get a portion of the money.

I think my days of this whole board are at an end. I understand Disney is a happy place, but some of you just live in fantasy land alllllll the time. Enjoy your rose colored glasses, I'm done with this.

And that proves the point that facilities are not able to get enough through donations so paying a pittance to encourage those who would not donate for free to sell their plasma. Would you prefer they run out of plasma or offer to pay for it??? And if it is ok for them to pay for it, why is it wrong for people to accept that payment??? Remember if they are buying it for 60.00 for 3 units and selling each unit for 500.00 the person contributing is only getting about 3 percent of the money and the facility is getting 97 %. This is like telling people you should never have garage sales, you need to donate every item to goodwill. I just don't get the issue here.

It's the fact that "donor" has a connotation of giving with expecting anything in return. That's not what the "donors" are doing. I'm not saying they should. But let's call it what it is, selling not donating. Donating makes it sound like people are doing something selfless. They're not. They're plasma sellers. But that doesn't sound as nice and would make people more uncomfortable. It's all marketing. Nothing more.

For all he people out there who are so against plasma selling or whatever terminology you want to use...

How about this? If you or a loved one ever needs a plasma derived product, why don't you refuse to take any such product unless you know it has been derived from 100% uncompensated plasma giving?

It's the fact that "donor" has a connotation of giving with expecting anything in return. That's not what the "donors" are doing. I'm not saying they should. But let's call it what it is, selling not donating. Donating makes it sound like people are doing something selfless. They're not. They're plasma sellers. But that doesn't sound as nice and would make people more uncomfortable. It's all marketing. Nothing more.

AHHH, I see, In the medical field the term donor does not mean the same thing, so when you hear someone recieved a donor kidney it only means it came from another person, not that the other person was not compensated in any way. Doctors use that term to apply either way, so that takes care of the semantic part of the issue.

I have never sold plasma but a dear friend of mine and her husband both do regularly. It takes a lot of their time and is like a second job for them. I don't see how it's any different than delivering pizzas. If the whole family is healthy, I think it's a great way to fund a future trip. I'm not sure what the OP thinks is wrong with this ?

From what I've seen:

Blood--whole blood is usually donated in the sense that no one gets paid for it. Well, they may get perks--when I was in the army, if we donated blood in a blood drive, we usually got to have the rest of the day off afterwards. Woo hoo!

Plasma--Many places pay for plasma, perhaps because it's a different amount of time commitment compared to whole blood donation. Plus, since it's to make "for profit" drugs, shouldn't the donor get part of that? To manufacture and sell a drug, but not even pay the donor would be wrong. When a baker makes a cake, should they get their eggs and flour donated for free? Without paying donors, the drug manufacturers wouldn't have enough plasma, anyway. Paying is win/win.

Why anyone would care or judge someone over this baffles me. I've given blood many times, but have never done plasma as the whole taking blood out, removing the plasma, than putting it back creeps me out a bit. I might get over it, though. $300/mo while I relax with a book . . .hmmm. . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter